• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

weather in September

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Trinity,
I walked from 23rd August to beginning of October last year. We had three days of solid rain in the beginning but then it cleared up and the days were beautiful.
I have walked in May/June in June/July and in late August,September/October and by far the best weather has been in September.
From Leon (which is at 822m) you will climb to the highest point of the entire camino frances, soon after Manjarin which is at 1517m. Then you have another climb to O'Cebreiro - 1300m. It can be really cold at night at those altitudes. We managed with a light fleece pullover and a light fleece jacket. I also took a parachute jacket (that rolls up into a ball) and often wore all three at night and in the mornings: then we moulted outer layers as the sun warmed up.
I have photos of us sitting in the sunshine in a beautiful garden at the albergue en el Camino in Boadilla on the 7th September. The following days were gorgeous with cool mornings, warm days, and pleasantly cool evenings. All my photographs - besides those taken in Santiago - where we had some drizzle - are sunny and bright.

Attachments

• Boadlilla Garden.jpg
    Boadlilla Garden.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 5,130
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked starting Sept 9 in SJPDP for 5 and a half weeks last year. The weather was great in the most part, hot and dry with a few thunderstorms in the late afternoons in the first part, then getting cooler into the Bierzo and Galicia by mid October. You can get frosts at night in Sept / Oct so you need to have thin layers you can peel off one by one, as it will be cold when you leave in the early morning sometimes. Take care when stopping for a rest or lunch break at altitude as you can chill very quickly especially if you are a bit sweaty - put a fleece on when you stop, even if you feel hot. The heat on the meseta was pretty adverse at times, you MUST wear a wide brimmed hat, sunscreen and pace yourself. One armed sun tan is a pilgrim hazard (as you are always facing west!) so long sleeves can be helpful. As for the rain, its important to have a waterproof pack liner, so your sleeping bag does not get wet and you always have something dry to change into. Overall I would say that Sept / Oct is a brilliant time to go as far as weather is concerned. Prepare well, travel light and you'll have a great time. :D

PS The pic of the pool brought back happy memories, I spent my birthday at this refugio, run by such lovely people. The pool was freezing though!!!

I walked starting Sept 9 in SJPDP for 5 and a half weeks last year. The weather was great in the most part, hot and dry with a few thunderstorms in the late afternoons in the first part, then getting cooler into the Bierzo and Galicia by mid October. You can get frosts at night in Sept / Oct so you need to have thin layers you can peel off one by one, as it will be cold when you leave in the early morning sometimes. Take care when stopping for a rest or lunch break at altitude as you can chill very quickly especially if you are a bit sweaty - put a fleece on when you stop, even if you feel hot. The heat on the meseta was pretty adverse at times, you MUST wear a wide brimmed hat, sunscreen and pace yourself. One armed sun tan is a pilgrim hazard (as you are always facing west!) so long sleeves can be helpful. As for the rain, its important to have a waterproof pack liner, so your sleeping bag does not get wet and you always have something dry to change into. Overall I would say that Sept / Oct is a brilliant time to go as far as weather is concerned. Prepare well, travel light and you'll have a great time. :D

PS The pic of the pool brought back happy memories, I spent my birthday at this refugio, run by such lovely people. The pool was freezing though!!!
I'm leaving on sept4th for a month. I'm landing in Paris. What's the best route to get to ST James please.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back