• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather near the start of the Camino del Norte, mid-April 2022

MaryStella

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
I have been watching the weather diligently. We leave for the Camino Del Norte on 4/27/22 It looks like it has been raining for weeks in northern Spain, and it looks like it’s supposed to continue for weeks. Does anyone have any update or confirmation of this?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have been watching the weather diligently. We leave for the Camino Del Norte on 4/27/22 It looks like it has been raining for weeks in northern Spain, and it looks like it’s supposed to continue for weeks. Does anyone have any update or confirmation of this?
I'd try a different weather forecaster. In the UK the travel company sponsored forecasts on commercial television are always for much better weather than on the BBC.

It does tend to rain a lot in Atlantic Maritime climate zones. Thats why they exist.

All that said this http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/espana?k=nav&w=11 forecaster seems to be offering a much more cheerful prospect and their records pages don't record anything semi-biblical in the deluge department.

And that said, I once walked the Meseta from Burgos to Leon in 5 days of continuous wind-driven horizontal rain - I had a really good camino :)

I have said numerous times on this Forum that Pays Basque is famous for it green pastures, thanks to the plentiful rain.
If you pay any attention to the weather patterns in the US you will find that any major storm system there crosses the Atlantic in matter of days and delivers the same nasty weather to the Bay of Biscay.
A recent site I found was Windy.com it tracks the wind patterns all over the world.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have said numerous times on this Forum that Pays Basque is famous for it green pastures, thanks to the plentiful rain.
If you pay any attention to the weather patterns in the US you will find that any major storm system there crosses the Atlantic in matter of days and delivers the same nasty weather to the Bay of Biscay.
A recent site I found was Windy.com it tracks the wind patterns all over the world.

I suspect that @MaryStella has, as I have, thoroughly researched the Norte in advance of preparing her Camino - and is well aware of the higher chance of rain on this route. But I have also previously noted ‘live from the camino’ threads, such as a recent one from @Eve Alexandra, saying that the forecast was for rain every day but she was hardly seeing any. I’m guessing that @MaryStella is wondering, as I have been, what it’s *actually* like right now - in case any pilgrims are or have been in the area for the past several days. For instance, if you, @biarritzdon, are in the Biarritz area, it would be helpful to know - how’s the weather been?

Last edited:
I'll be there for the next 3 weeks, forecast is for rain everyday about .2" to .3" per day.

agree with windy (in apps) - very hard to beat even if as a backup - you can see anywhere on the planet and it's usually very accurate - as accurate as others - the layers are impressive, the favourites are easy to use

of course one needs a smart phone - so those who don't carry one are destined to be marooned on the top of the Pyrenees, locked in an emergency shelter in a blizzard, surrounded by wolves - enjoying their disconnected experience ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Mary
I agree with Tincatinker - find some sunnier weather forecasts! like this one https://www.myweather2.com/City-Town/Spain/San-Sebastian/14-Day-Forecast.aspx
That will improve your mood about your forthcoming camino. The longer range a forecast the more it becomes notional https://scijinks.gov/forecast-reliability/ and, this applies even more to fickle Atlantic coastal conditions. So why not just ride with the good ones?
Source a decent quality ankle-length poncho and you'll have nothing to worry about. And if, by some bizarre quirk of fate you start with a few days of rain, you will so much more enjoy basking in the days of rays that follow :D

I suspect that @MaryStella has , as I have, thoroughly researched the Norte in advance of preparing her Camino - and is well aware of the higher chance of rain on this route. But I have also previously noted ‘live from the camino’ threads, such as a recent one from @Eve Alexandra, saying that the forecast was for rain every day but she was hardly seeing any. I. I’m guessing that @MaryStella is wondering, as I have been, what it’s *actually* like right now - in case any pilgrims are or have been in the area for the past several days. For instance, if you, @biarritzdon, are in the Biarritz area, it would be helpful to know - how’s the weather been?
Exactly what I was referring to! Phrased better than mine! What is it actually like this week??

I'd try a different weather forecaster. In the UK the travel company sponsored forecasts on commercial television are always for much better weather than on the BBC.

It does tend to rain a lot in Atlantic Maritime climate zones. Thats why they exist.

All that said this http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/espana?k=nav&w=11 forecaster seems to be offering a much more cheerful prospect and their records pages don't record anything semi-biblical in the deluge department.

And that said, I once walked the Meseta from Burgos to Leon in 5 days of continuous wind-driven horizontal rain - I had a really good camino :)
I had one of those also. Rain in my face every day with really strong winds and temperatures in the low to mid 40's F. (6 or 7C for you guys) from Burgos to Leon. 2 years earlier at the exact same time in October it was hovering around 90F (32C) without a cloud in the sky. They had just planted those trees at the time so they gave no shade whatsoever. Strange how weather works isn"t it????

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Day 3 for me starting in irun. Not a single drop.

Day 4 steady drizzle. Not burdensome.

Last edited:
We were on the Norte from Bayonne to Laredo the last 2 weeks in March. The weather forecasts looked dismal for us too, but once we got there, it really wasn't that bad. The days that were rainy were not solid rain all day long, and rain gear and pack covers got us by just fine. There is something special about walking in the rain and wind for a few hours and then witnessing the rain stop and the sun poke through the clouds and dry you off. It's part of the weather on the coast, and for my Colorado blood, sure beats walking in the heat of summer! Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
On the Norte you tend to stay at the coastline. Most of the rain falls against the mountain range a few km’s inland.
once you start going inland the rain chance will go up.
I always use El Tiempo, a Spanish based weather forecaster and it tends to be accurate.

Buen Camino

On 19 April, 2022 should you look at windy. com you will see two very large storm systems brewing over the Atlantic heading east and south towards Spain. This is the same storm system that stirred up all of the tornadoes in the midwest last week.
I arrive in Biarritz on 21 April and my friends have told to expect nothing but rain and cold.
What it was like last week or last month is no indication of what it will be like the next week or next month. Mother Nature is a very fickle lady, indeed.

Last edited:
I am currently in San Sebastián and it is raining heavily and is due to continue all day. contemplating my plan but I will see how today goes. Hopefully I get a few breaks in the day. The rain is meant to get lighter as the week goes on. I don’t think there is much cause for sunscreen this week but as said above, things change here overnight ( just not today- Today is definitely a wet slog)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On 19 April, 2022 should you look at windy. com you will see two very large storm systems brewing over the Atlantic heading east and south towards Spain. This is the same storm system that stirred up all of the tornadoes in the midwest last week.
I arrive in Biarritz on 21 April and my friends have told to expect nothing but rain and cold.
What it was like last week or last month is no indication of what it will be like the next week or next month. Mother Nature is a very fickle lady, indeed.
I particularly like Windy - because of a couple of things -

1. you use it anywhere - which means that you become very familiar with it

2. on treks/biking - if it's overcast and you suspect rain coming - one glance at the radar usually is enough to work out the time to the first drops - meaning that you get off your bike in a sheltered area from the wind, erect your brilliant 3kg tent in seconds that walkers would laugh at - put on the coffee and be inside the nice dry tent looking out at the rain :) -- all the while watching the (unconnected) walkers having their walkies in the rain :)

na, seriously - I really like radar - radar does not lie

I've been walking the Norte for just over 3 weeks and have just crossed into Galicia. My phone tells me nearly every day that there will be showers the next day but apart from a few small ones at the start and constant rain the previous one and a half days, the weather has been very kind. It's not very warm, especially in the albergues in the evening but overall I've been pleasantly surprised.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back