• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What experience have people had with waterproof socks?

Stewart

I am planning a mid June Camino on the French way... my fourth. In the past I have used waterproof boots - once in June.. twice in July/Aug. I did get a few blisters on the inside of my foot as I pronate significantly (and I wonder about the heat factor). I was considering doing Keen Sandals and/or breathable Keen Tragee Vent boots. I kine a solid sole on my boots to mitigate the rock terraine.

Thoughts about water-proof socks????

Stewart

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Stewart,
Look in ā€œFoot wear and Careā€ in this section and you will find a thread discussion about what socks to wear under waterproof socks..
You could also search out a mountain bike forum, there are often posts re waterproof socks.
My own experience on my Camino Sanabrese was the need to stop rain running
down your leg and filling the socks up, not joking literally poured rain water out of them, waterproofing works in reverse, perhaps should have taped round the tops, but can you imagine taking them off.
As to waterproof boots they can get very warm and sweaty consider trail running shoes, Hoka, Altra etc.
Regards
George.G

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am planning a mid June Camino on the French way... my fourth. In the past I have used waterproof boots - once in June.. twice in July/Aug. I did get a few blisters on the inside of my foot as I pronate significantly (and I wonder about the heat factor). I was considering doing Keen Sandals and/or breathable Keen Tragee Vent boots. I kine a solid sole on my boots to mitigate the rock terraine.

Stewart
Dismal.

In my case ā€˜sealskinsā€™. Thereā€™s not much point in having a vapour-permeable layer if you then insert your socked foot into a tightly-fitting shoe or boot.

I found that my splendid socks got wet from the inside.

I only ended up wearing them on multiple days climbing in Scottish winter, where big stiff boots are necessary and thereā€™s no prospect of drying them.

That is 10 years ago (Iā€™m too old, fat and frightened for Scottish winter climbing now, but at least I admit it); technology has probably advanced.,

I found myself wondering why you were using waterproof boots at that season. I can see no value in waterproof socks in the heat and in a season where rainfall (except in Galicia) is a rare and welcome event. Your skin is waterproof and enjoys access to air
The idea is to wear normal socks most days (Merino wool) but the waterproof one on the rainy days (if we have them)... in June I encountered Snow in the pyrenese and about 5 solid days of rain after that

The idea is to wear normal socks most days (Merino wool) but the waterproof one on the rainy days (if we have them)... in June I encountered Snow in the pyrenese and about 5 solid days of rain after that
I would prefer to take the occasional risk of the need for some newspaper to dry my boots and a bit of heat to dry my normal socks than face stewed feet and the puzzle of how to dry the inside of a waterproof / non-permeable foot bag.

My one experiment with waterproof socks was on a caving trip. They never went down again.

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Anything that can keep water out is also very effective at keeping it in. This applies to both socks and boots. If you walk all day in the rain, there is absolutely no way to stop water getting in because it soaks in or runs in through or over your trouser leg. You then have to face the prospect of putting on wet boots or shoes or expensive waterproof socks next day, because no amount of newspaper is going to dry them out overnight.

Of course, the chances of it raining all day in June are pretty slim, and raining all day two days running, even slimmer. You have apparently walked a few caminos without waterproof socks and lived to tell the tale. I would do it again.

I have not used waterproof socks so far, but have considered them and talked to a few people about it.

For both of my Camino Frances, i followed the strategy, that in May/June when i was on the way, the risk of rain was there, but the risk of continued strong rain was limited and the risk of heat was greater. (yeah, one year its this, next is that, but in a general, statistical way...). Hence i went for light rain protection and equipment suited for warm climates, especially trail runners with lots of holes and no waterproofing whatsoever. The theory was, that i could always just sit out a day or two if weather turned seriously bad or buy missing stuff in one of the many shops. Luckily, this was not necessary since i had little rain. Walking half a day in wet-ish shoes is one thing, walking days in soaking wet shoes is something different.
So in conclusion, it worked really well and i would do exactly the same the next time on the CF.

On the other hand, i still have this idea, to walk the ~3000km from my doorstep to Santiago one day. This would change things a bit, and I likely would start somewhere around March or April in Germany where the weather can still be rather unpleasant for days (or not...). Since i am really fond of my trailrunners, i might chose to walk with them and now... this is where a pair of waterproof socks might come in handy as a "security net".

Well, that's my thoughts on that, hope it helps you make up your mind about it a little.

I found waterproof sock (Sealskinz and Dexshell) were useful with sandals when it was very cold, in very early April on the Norte. But definitely not in June! And I'd not wear them just because it was raining. Only if it was cold.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After 20 years of hearing various discussions on footwear and socks, and definitely experiencing things myself . . . I find that the vast, vast number of experienced hikers and backpackers do not use "waterproof" footwear or socks -- except perhaps in the very depth of winter hiking in snow. I watch over and over, less experienced hikers dodging water puddles worried about getting their feet wet (why?, I just don't know), while experienced hikers (with no waterproofing) step right in with their boots on and up to their knees (getting soaked feet). Good (non-waterproof) boots and merino wool socks will dry out in 30 minutes of active hiking due to body heat. Waterproof "anything", will not dry out quickly and will soon begin to stink because of staying wet. Waterproof boots and socks are simply asking for blisters, because the air cannot get into the shoe to ventilate and dry.

I found myself wondering why you were using waterproof boots at that season. I can see no value in waterproof socks in the heat and in a season where rainfall (except in Galicia) is a rare and welcome event. Your skin is waterproof and enjoys access to air
And if the sock is waterproof then your feet can't breathe won't your feet also sweat? Sounds like you're trying to avoid one problem while causing another.

I have had excellent experiences with both dexshell and showers pass socks. I have walked in heavy rain for an entire day and my feet have remained dry. They do keep your feet warm, so they might not be advantageous on a warm June day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have had excellent experiences with both dexshell and showers pass socks. I have walked in heavy rain for an entire day and my feet have remained dry. They do keep your feet warm, so they might not be advantageous on a warm June day.
I agree about Dexshell socks. I wear them in wet weather with Keen Whispers. I've traipsed through snow fields in the Alps, walked through steams and puddles, and my feet have stayed dry.

On the other hand, i still have this idea, to walk the ~3000km from my doorstep to Santiago one day. This would change things a bit, and I likely would start somewhere around March or April in Germany where the weather can still be rather unpleasant for days (or not...

I did it, walk from home, and I like gaiters (knee-high).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
For what its worth, years ago I tried every combination of waterproof socks and waterproof hiking boots I could find, and my experience was that they just didnt work for me.
I sweat a lot, and so regardless, my feet are going to be damp. My waterproof socks were fairly fragile, and it didnt take very long for them to spring leaks. As for waterproof boots or shoes, they seem to take a lot longer to dry when they get wet. I never did find a pair of boots that would stay dry inside for several hours a day, day after day. I found that layering socks, usually a very thin silk inner sock with a merino or alpaca wool outer sock works pretty well to keep my feet warmā€¦.not dry, but warm. 2 sets of socks is a must, I can change socks at mid day, and have dry socks for the afternoon. For shoes I just go for comfort first. I know they are going to get soaked, so I look for something that dries fairly quickly.
warmth and comfort are the keys for me.

I have used SealSkinz in poor weather. The first pair that I bought, I tested locally before leaving for the Camino. One sock leaked so they were send back for refund. The replacement pair were fine and I used them last September/October on the Voie de Tours, on which they were excellent on the five or six extremely wet days. I wore them with fabric boots, which were soaked, of course, but my feet remained dry and comfortable. SealSkinz are not cheap, but seem fairly tough and should last several seasons if worn only when considered necessary.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Stewart
I agree with non-waterproof footwear, trail runners and the like. In mid June waterproof anything is liable to be too hot. Iā€™ve walked the Camino in colder months and also during rainy spells and my go-to was to put a plastic bag on over my sock. My feet perspired and felt quite warm but the damp lasted only until I removed the bags, plus it was not from outside. And a couple of plastic bags, for the few times Iā€™ve needed them, weighed much less than waterproof socks. Because if youā€™re not wearing them, youā€™ll have the extra weight to carry and, believe me, every ounce counts! šŸ˜Š

For eight years, and more than ten thousand kilometers (9 compostella), I mainly use Gore-tex low shoes,
for the trails/treks, long-distance races, expensive but very effective - A size and a half more -
A drop of 9 to 11 -
The structure is very waterproof, only the sole lasts less than 1000 kilometers -
With Trails of 1500 to 2000 km, I alternatively use the same non Gore-tex model -
I remove the soles every evening, rinse or wash the shoes which are dry for the next departure - On the other hand, you won't be able to do anything during the March/April departures in the south of Spain, without taking any risks of crossing (Levante/Mozarabic, etc) -
No warm-up, no blisters and feet ready to go -
Twist the so-called historical advice! Materials change - Think about the total weight your feet will support! Same brand, same model for three years, 4 pairs per year -
Surfer's flip flops for the Portuguese coast (ruta vicentina) 3 pairs of socks that I use like David, changing shoes and socks...when I feel like it!
No need for cream, Compeed for several years testing the pairing of shoes/socks -
Finally, I buy everything on the internet and try the different combinations before departure -

I think waterproof socks are really good if you are looking to get a really high quality fungal infection on your feet and to use them in June at one of the hottest parts of the year, I assume your intention is for your feet to be in such a bad state by Leon you might have to quit walking? Sweat brings about chafing, which brings about blisters, which brings about many problems.

Wear shoes that allow good air flow, socks that wick moisture away and foot cream to keep the skin supple and hydrated. Gel inner soles are worth the cost when you are putting in 20 mile days (or when you spend 12 hours a day on your feet).

If you see a drop of rain, I would be surprised. As Tincatinker said, maybe in Galicia, but I would say less so since you will be into July by then and will be lucky if the temperatures are much less than 35C and dry as a bone. Summer walking is good if you like to cook, but not for me, I prefer temps in the 20-30C range. Not to mention the assumption that fires will be burning like last year pretty much everywhere. maybe it will be a cooler year, but I'd say that's unlikely.

Lightweight waterproof trousers, long enough to go over your boots, that's all you need. It doesn't rain that often in June (if at all) and if it does, it's a short sharp shock (thunderstorm), as opposed to a rain all day affair.

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Iā€™m interested in that there are many more options than I had considered; but sandals and waterproof socks does rather smack of indecision (IMHO). Apart from a small first aid kit, I pack nothing that isnā€™t used daily.

It would be a boring life if all our experiences were the same, and a much smaller forum - but there would still be a thread about taking poles on planes.

I should mention that my primary footwear year-round are Bedrock sandals. I have hiked around Colombia and back in the PNW when I am in the states, and unless its quite cold, I prefer my bedrocks over all other footwear I have ever found. When it gets cool for the bedrocks its back to my Altra Lone Peaks and 2 pairs of socks.

I'm with Marquez. I've walked various parts of the Camino from April to October in my Teva (Taochi?) water sport sandals with medium weight merino ankle wool socks through heat, cold, rain and mud, uphill, downhill. No problem, no blisters. Wet sandals dry on your feet when the sun comes back out. Easy to clean mud off under an outside tap. Wore them in the shower. Inside an albergue, they dry within an hour. Very simple and light. I carry a 14 pound backpack so no need for boots.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Stewart
Hi Stewart,I have used sealskin socks, (no inner socks, but I donā€™t see why not). I wore Chaco sandals with an innersole gorilla-glued on. I like the adjustable strap on the Chacos.
For rain I had a knee-length rain coat and a lightweight umbrella. I didnā€™t have problems with rain getting in my water proof socks.
I only use my sealskins if it was a cold rain. Otherwise, I didnā€™t care if my feet got wet.

Make sure your footwear can take the extra bulk if you use waterproof socks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Marquez. I've walked various parts of the Camino from April to October in my Teva (Taochi?) water sport sandals with medium weight merino ankle wool socks through heat, cold, rain and mud, uphill, downhill. No problem, no blisters. Wet sandals dry on your feet when the sun comes back out. Easy to clean mud off under an outside tap. Wore them in the shower. Inside an albergue, they dry within an hour. Very simple and light. I carry a 14 pound backpack so no need for boots.
This is good to hear. I'm planning on wearing my Teva Tirras. and merino wool socks (or not, when the weather's warm). I figure I've worn these sandals (well, a different pair of the same ones) on trips to Europe where I've been on my feet all day on city sidewalks, and no blisters. Fewer surfaces for the skin to rub on, more breathable that shoes, and completely adjustable if my feet swell or I want more than one pair of socks on. If this doesn't work, I guess I'll have to go shopping for "real shoes" in Pamplona or Logronyo, but hopefully the Tevas work well.

Stewart
Hi Stewart, I used my keen tragee boots on the milford and camino last time. I was only person with dry feet.in our group..no blisters on Milford nor on camino ( I did 300 kms that time) boots for me too heavy now so I've bought beautiful trail shoes which rock and have had an orthopedic inset made for my pronation, very flat feet and arthritis. Good luck with your camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.