• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favourite Socks

OK20090

Time of past OR future Camino
future- Spring 2024
What’s your favourite brand of socks for spring hiking the Camino? Do you use sock liners?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What’s your favourite brand of socks for spring hiking the Camino? Do you use sock liners?

Lightweight Coolmax from Bridgedale. But I do wear boots and never trailshoes.
No sock liners.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
+2 for Wright socks. I have thousands of km on mine. Still fine. No blisters.

Wrightsocks for the Camino (or other walks 30+ km)
Quechua Hike 520 for shorter walks.

HTH

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Another vote for Wrightsocks. Don't need to carry any blister meds/ compeed anymore...because no more blisters.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
SmartWool….I wear a large but accidentally purchased extra large this spring. I thought I might get some movement, and maybe I did early on, but I found the extra size made them very comfortable, especially around the ankles.

The best socks are the ones that work for you and your feet.
In my case, over 15 years of long distance walking has only been possible because of Injinji socks. On the camino last year in June/July, I used petroleum jelly, Injinji and merino wool socks from REI for a blister-free walk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Icebreaker Merino Hike, the left and right specific fit works for me. Smartwool hike as well, although they are a bit thick for warm days. Like hiking shoes/boots, what works for one person isn't necessarily the best for others.

What type of Wrightsocks ?
I see many different socks.
Are they for women ?
I always had Bridgedale and no blisters.
Thanks for your reply !

SmartWool Hike full cushion socks worked for me on the Via.
Make sure you get the right size. I am 5 foot 9 and 180lbs, size 10.5 - 11 shoe and medium fit me perfectly. I find that if they are too big the seams can cause some friction.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What type of Wrightsocks ?
There are some with camino symbols... maybe they work for a camino?

(besides kidding: yes, they do. I own them and the lighter Coolmesh variant. Take your size and height as you need it)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I took Wrightsocks (simple white ones) on my earlier Caminos without issue. This summer, I took three pairs of socks: two single layer wool socks and one double layer pair of Wrightsocks (the Camino ones with the stylized Camino shell - how could I resist?). The Wrighsocks ended up being the ones my feet seemed to like the least, to the point where I ended up only wearing them when the others were both dirty or drying. Go figure.

My little toes kinda ride under the next little piggie. So, five finger toe socks is all I will wear for long distance. My favorite socks, are some I bought on Amazon. The fabric just works for me. It's almost perfect for my feet in thickness and density. Ignore the picture. They don't come up that high. In boots they are perfect. In tennis shoes I just push them down a bit. I threw out a whole drawer of socks I tried from expensive to cheap, wool, blends, etc.. Five finger toes socks are lifesavers and I don't need any lubricants or anything else.

Thorlo LTH or LTHMX (low cuts for less weight). Never a blister and they wear like iron. I think socks are at least as important as the shoes. Wrightsocks are a good second choice.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Creepers Merino Toe socks plus I apply Compeed anti friction stick b4 starting each day (looks like a small deodorant stck) n no blisters.

I'am not a hiker so was very concerned about blisters. On this forum they mentioned the two sock method which I had never heard about before. So I bought ice breaker liner and medium weight socks with the left and right and did not get any blisters. Seeing all the people that had blisters well I was walking made me very happy with my decision.

I wear high compression knee-high stockings every day. For walking, I either top them with medium compression wool knee-highs from Sockwell or wear the wool ones alone. Darn Tough padded knee-highs in cold weather. Change socks at lunchtime. Change from trail runners to Birkenstocks as soon as I check in. Happy legs and feet!

€46,-
I wear high compression knee-high stockings every day. For walking, I either top them with medium compression wool knee-highs from Sockwell or wear the wool ones alone. Darn Tough padded knee-highs in cold weather. Change socks at lunchtime. Change from trail runners to Birkenstocks as soon as I check in. Happy legs and feet!
Darn Tough mid weight hikers and I always carry cream for my feet which is specifically designed to reduce friction and prevent blisters (so far so good)

xoskin toe socks. reasonably durable. no blisters even though I have hammer toes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
These are all great suggestions. I've even ordered some Injinjis to see how they work, but there are so many other variables that affect blister production, particularly training. Blisters, I think, come first and foremost to feet that have not been worked in and hardened up. I haven't had many blisters on my Caminos but I have also done a lot of training before each trip to Spain. Another factor is the quality and type of shoes and terrain. Merrill Moabs are great but their soles are not as forgiving as many of the trail runners with more flexible soles that I have used. And another factor that has a huge impact on blisters is rain. If your shoes and socks suck up water there will be more friction and friction is a main contributor to blisters.

Suffice all of this to say that these are all great suggestions but no one pair of socks is going to stop you from getting blisters. Find a pair that fits well, add in some kind of BodyGlide and wear shoes that suit your gait and the terrain you intend to walk on. Then hope for no rain! And if all else fails, fellow pilgrims will help you with tons of remedies and care that will usually allow you to keep walking!

On my 2022 Camino, I had a blister after day 2 while wearing my darn tough socks & and using vaseline, just as I had for my training. Switched to only injinji toe socks and vaseline. No more blisters. Was so happy I had the injinjis - could not find them in any of the stores along the way. Buen Camino and keep working to figure out what will work for YOU!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, I use liner socks, Injinji Toe socks to be specific. I've been doing this for about 10+ years and it just feels weird now if my toes touch each other in my socks. For low cut outer socks, I use the Injinji Lightweight socks, for higher cut socks (which I normally wear when hiking), I use the Injinji Boot Liner socks which go up higher on the calf and are lighter in weight.

Regarding outer socks, I wore Smartwool calf high socks on my last Camino and generally on a daily basis. Very recently, I switched over to a calf length compression sock for hiking. I found a sock I like on AMAZON. I did this because my aging knees now require compression braces. However, the compression braces tend to inhibit fluid flow up the leg and a get a "bubble' of puffiness beneath the compression braces. Compression socks prevent this by providing graded compression from the feet to just beneath the bottom of the knee braces. No more puffiness in the lower legs.

Here's a link to the compression socks that I like: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W5TL116/?tag=casaivar02-20

Here's a link to the Injinji Lightweight toe socks: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VERVBWE/?tag=casaivar02-20

Here's a link to the Injinji Liner Crew Socks: https://www.amazon.com/Injinji-Mens-Liner-Toesocks-Medium/dp/B00AK8EE4U/?tag=casaivar02-20

On my 2022 Camino, I had a blister after day 2 while wearing my darn tough socks & and using vaseline, just as I had for my training. Switched to only injinji toe socks and vaseline. No more blisters. Was so happy I had the injinjis - could not find them in any of the stores along the way. Buen Camino and keep working to figure out what will work for YOU!
I have a pair of Darn Tough Socks and I'm thinking of switching back to them from Smartwool socks. The Darn Tough socks have less pilling. I'm a huge fan of Injinji toe socks. They don't seem to be as popular in Europe as they are in the USA. I got numerous comments from my European friends on the Camino. I have occasionally used Vaseline but try to avoid it because it's occlusive and stains the socks but sometimes you just need that extra friction reduction. I generally try Skin Glide first and then reserve Vaseline for when I need more friction reduction. In general though, I find I usually don't need anything when I use Injnji te socks in combination with a good wool sock.

I have a pair of Darn Tough Socks and I'm thinking of switching back to them from Smartwool socks. The Darn Tough socks have less pilling. I'm a huge fan of Injinji toe socks. They don't seem to be as popular in Europe as they are in the USA. I got numerous comments from my European friends on the Camino. I have occasionally used Vaseline but try to avoid it because it's occlusive and stains the socks but sometimes you just need that extra friction reduction. I generally try Skin Glide first and then reserve Vaseline for when I need more friction reduction. In general though, I find I usually don't need anything when I use Injnji te socks in combination with a good wool sock.
I just noticed piling in my SmartWool socks but usually after a season. How does the piling affect your feet? The piling I am seeing is mostly on the outside of the sock. It's something I will definitely keep in mind.

Because of all of the comments here I am really looking forward to trying the Injinji socks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Chalk up another one for a combo of inner Injiinjii Mid and outer Darn Tough Mid.
As for the lubrication, I started with regular Vaseline but finished with Sportsalil just because of what was available in Spanish Farmacias.
I've also heard folks speak about NOK (Fr) and Saltratos (Sp)

I just noticed piling in my SmartWool socks but usually after a season. How does the piling affect your feet? The piling I am seeing is mostly on the outside of the sock. It's something I will definitely keep in mind.
I Haven't noticed any reduction in performance, it's mostly an aesthetic issue for me. I purchased my current Smartwool socks well over a year ago for my first Camino and I'm still wearing them today. I wear them everyday too, except that I only wash them after 2 days of wear. You can do this because the Injini liner socks absorb most of the sweat and foot orders. In fact, I think I probably could extend that to 3 days but that seems a bit excessive to me.

Regarding Injini liner socks, it takes some time to get used to the feel of having your toes separated during wear, but after 9+ years of doing this, it just feels natural to me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bit of feedback. Following the above positive comments above, I bought a pair of Wrightsocks Coolmesh II and 2 pairs of Decathlon Hike 520's (they are sold as a pair). I bought the Wrightsocks from alpinetrek.co.uk - although it turns out they are a German company and the socks are sent from there. Well 2 days and 58 kms into the Portugues Coastal the wrightsocks had a 1" hole in the outer sock and I also had a blister where the hole had worn away. Sent a message to alpinetrek early last Wednesday morning. No reply as yet. Decathlon 520's were fine.

20230906_054542.jpg

I own and like Smartwool, Wright, Darn Tough, and on the Camino I am still using a few pairs of Wigwams, waiting for them to wear out. I carry a pair of unused Ininji toe socks for an emergency, but have never worn them yet, and I rarely have had a hot spot. I do not use liners or vaseline type products since I've had no real issues.
Like someone else said, it's whatever works for you; same goes for shoes and a plethora of other gear choices.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bit of feedback. Following the above positive comments above, I bought a pair of Wrightsocks Coolmesh II and 2 pairs of Decathlon Hike 520's (they are sold as a pair). I bought the Wrightsocks from alpinetrek.co.uk - although it turns out they are a German company and the socks are sent from there. Well 2 days and 58 kms into the Portugues Coastal the wrightsocks had a 1" hole in the outer sock and I also had a blister where the hole had worn away. Sent a message to alpinetrek early last Wednesday morning. No reply as yet. Decathlon 520's were fine.

Had mine from 2019 on, walked the CF, crossed the Alps, walked the CP and uncountable shorter hikes in the last 4 years with them. No hole. Highly uncommon.

If they answer, just post, I'm interested in their reply.

Had mine from 2019 on, walked the CF, crossed the Alps, walked the CP and uncountable shorter hikes in the last 4 years with them. No hole. Highly uncommon.

If they answer, just post, I'm interested in their reply.
Will do. I was surprised - but the hole is there and the socks are useless after 58kms. I'm presuming it was a manufacturing defect but let's see what their customer service is like.

Will do. I was surprised - but the hole is there and the socks are useless after 58kms. I'm presuming it was a manufacturing defect but let's see what their customer service is like.
Just got an e-email reply - they apologise and say they will be making a full refund with no need to return the item. So a thumbs up for their customer service.

Injinji Outdoor midweight mini-crew toe socks all the way for me.

Just got an e-email reply - they apologise and say they will be making a full refund with no need to return the item. So a thumbs up for their customer service.
Although they didn't refund the postage (£4.49) - so worth UK buyers noting that they are not UK based (despite the .co.uk email address).

My favorite socks for the camino in summer are light, coolmax kind of socks. Not the merino wool kind of socks (too hot). My absolute favorite is the Ayacucho sock.

€60,-
I'am not a hiker so was very concerned about blisters. On this forum they mentioned the two sock method which I had never heard about before. So I bought ice breaker liner and medium weight socks with the left and right and did not get any blisters. Seeing all the people that had blisters well I was walking made me very happy with my decision.
I got two pairs of Icebreaker light cushion, the hard decision for me is, should I bring two of the same, or would it be better to have a different option? in this case the option is Icebreaker medium cushion, I just can't decide; so

2 light cushion mini
or
1 light cushion mini + 1 medium cushion crew

It feels like a life or death decision and I just want to get over with it and stop worrying so much!
I think the medium cushion could be too hot maybe for summer months, and also I don't know if cushion helps with blisters or worsen them or what. what are the pros or more cushioning? help! hah

Darned Tough merino wool light hikers. I don't use a liner.

Darn Tough 1/4 length medium weight.

Should I be to worried about deciding between these two options? Icebreakers, both.
or the cushion won't make a remarkable difference?

Two light cushion mini
or

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For those of you that put Vaseline or other lube type products on your feet, do you put it all over (top and bottom of feet and between the toes), or just on certain parts? I use bag balm (made for cows udders, yes I know, kind of weird, but I live in a rural area and it's pretty popular for dried out hands and feet) on the rough spots on my feet when they get dry (normally the heel and ball of my foot), but don't know if it would work to reduce friction.

The smoother the skin on your feet the less friction they will encounter as they hammer the ground thousands of times a day. Aim for "baby feet" and use whatever works for you. Buen Camino

I got two pairs of Icebreaker light cushion, the hard decision for me is, should I bring two of the same, or would it be better to have a different option? in this case the option is Icebreaker medium cushion, I just can't decide; so

2 light cushion mini
or

It feels like a life or death decision and I just want to get over with it and stop worrying so much!
I think the medium cushion could be too hot maybe for summer months, and also I don't know if cushion helps with blisters or worsen them or what. what are the pros or more cushioning? help! hah
I took two pairs light weight icebreaker and two pairs medium weight icebreaker and wore the medium over the light. Was very comfortable on my feet. Also had one pair of icebreaker ankle socks that I wore when finished my hike for the day. Didn't have to wash the ankle socks much because I didn't hike in them. Doing the same when I leave for my next Camino in May.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.