• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When did you buy?

Choweth

When did you start gathering/buying stuff for your camino? Patches, backpack, socks, guidebook, shoes an all else? I'm just SO excited but I still have 8 months...

{Candace, Texas, USA)
http://www.pilgrimontherun.com
-a blog about life, a bucket list, and a future pilgrimage-
KIK: candacehoweth91

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We did the Camino this past April thru May but had our gear list completed a few years back as we are both keen bushwalkers out here in Australia. In my humble opinion, your feet should be No 1 priority and good boots/shoes are ESSENTIAL and it's a good idea to get these early in the piece and get them "walked-in" the same story for sox. There are useful threads on here with lists and recommendations, I'd check on there. Have fun! and I hope that the reality of the Camino will live up to your expectations.
Buen Camino!

I have my list, but I'm just so anxious to go shopping! On the other hand I want to be realistic and not have stuff just laying in a pile for a few months. No expectations for me! I just have a feeling there's something out there for me to "find"...whatever it may be. I'm all about the journey! Thanks for your response :)

{Candace, Texas, USA)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Start looking for your gear now so you'll be able to get good deals, try things out and change pour mind if something doesn't work or fit. Getting your pack and gear ready is also part of the Camino. Enjoy!

Preparing has been part of my journey. My guest room has been a staging area for months. Always looking for that perfect gear score, and always trimming the fat off my pack. I leave in a few weeks. I am ready, but still tweeking my gear.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Lise T said:
Im going back in late Aug (fingers crossed) a niggley knee has me a bit worried that it may not happen. :(

I started buying the little things over Christmas. e.g Spork, rain poncho, socks.

Im still trying to find the right pair of shoes. I think I must have the record for testing the most shoes. Im onto number 5 or 6. Some have good stability but are hot, others breath but offer no lateral support, some have good soles for walking on soft ground but are too hard for footpaths.

When I go to the supermarket I pick up little pottles of Vaseline as I read on here they are hard to find in Spain. I have also got tee tree and lavender oils. (Tee tree is a great antispectic, and I read that lavender (MAY) help with bed bugs. :? Along with an antiflam called Natures Kiss, its a NZ brand and it works like magic when I put it on.

I have had my pacer poles for about a month and they have been great to practice with. I took 8 min off my time on a steep up hill tramp and wasn't even trying. They made a huge difference. Im glad I've started practicing with them as my triceps were sore after the first time which I wasn't expecting.

I've started looking at packs. Top of my list is the Osprey Viva at the moment. Its a 50 litre (which is too big) but the harness is comfortable around my hips and it is sooo light.

I would say, test some of your walking gear now before it gets too hot. (you are going in March aren't you? :D ) You want to see if its going to chaff, if you can layer it up to keep you warm, if it will dry easily and tolerate hand washing. I tested some of my clothes in summer and that was really helpful.

I tried Icebreaker recently...but I couldn't handle the "itch" factor on me. So I will be using high tech shirts. Shame as I was hoping they would work.

I found having a list helps and it feels good ticking things off :D

Thanks! I never thought about testing it in the summer. If it works in the summer then it should work even better in the spring! Unfortunately, it's already 98 degrees, humid, and only getting hotter but I can test in the evening! :)

{Candace, Texas, USA)

Once I knew I was going, I just started to pick odd pieces up as I found them if they were a good price. I just don't have the kind of budget where I can go out and buy all the equipment at once.So Id say I started buying a good 18 months before the earliest I hope to go, September 2014.

How much stuff do you need?

How much stuff can you borrow?

Outside of a guide book I don't think I really bought anything for the camino. I have a backpack. I have boots etc.

Start by looking at what you have.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As a nun who wears formal habit every day, I have nothing appropriate for a Camino. So, I have no choice but to buy things early-and I don't have secular friends who are into long distance hiking to borrow from;except my doctor who has a headlamp from his cycling days.

@NicoZ
Agree with you. Maybe the topic title should be Why did you buy? :D (no offence choweth)

I've just put together all the stuff I thought I'd need and that's all. Good old several months or years worn cotton T-shirts, socks, boots (no blisters therefore), flip-flops, thin long-sleeve shirt, shorts, undies, windbreaker, long technical trousers and my castro-cap. Same with sleeping bag, rucksack and small ordinary towel. Only thing I bought while already on CF was an Altus poncho (which I never used to wear) because it was on sale very cheap. The stuff I could throw away anytime if some would get torn or else. BUT I'm doing a lot of mountaineering so I already have all of mentioned and most of the pilgrims I've met on CF did their last long(er) hike in college years :) So therefore they didn't have any of the required items I guess and had to buy them.

Ultreia!

I loved buying things as part of my planning - and getting to know the people in the local camping stores and looking for bargains, but this is what I've learned (starting in Australia).
Buy your shoes a minimum of 3 months before going and wear them every day. Enough said.
Everything else - and I mean EVERYTHING else, you can pick up from St Jean Pied de Port and every major city on the Camino Frances for a third of the price we pay here. It also adds to your collectors and memorabilia.
I spent nearly $3000 getting my daughter and I absolutely, 100% perfectly ready. Some of that may have been booking accommodation between home and St Jean (and we stayed at a B&B for our last bit of complete luxury before our 40 day trek to the west coast.
I'm glad we were as prepared as we were, but I wouldn't go to that trouble again. My son said the same about Nepal - at the markets you get to buy everyone's throw aways (they wont be climbing Everest again in a hurry). We bought ponchos - our greatest asset - in STJPP for 38Euro each - they were over $100 each in Australia.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Before you buy any gear in order to get an idea of how it feels to walk for a day with a loaded backpack carry 6 kilos or 15 pounds of potatoes continually for at least six hours around the house rarely sitting down. You will quickly sense what a great pleasure it will be to remove your pack and only sit at each camino day's end!

What you buy to wear on your feet will probably be your MOST important purchase. What shoes or boots with what socks is generally a very personal decision. Be sure to check the Forum topic Equipment Questions to read a multitude of combinations used by other pilgrims.

Whatever you might plan to take be sure to TEST wearing/carrying it several times in various weather and on all terrains before leaving. Tried and true is better than new and never worn/used for all your camino gear.

Happy planning, testing and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

I've walked the CF over three years and will use most of the equipment from my trip in May. The only items I'm considering buying is a larger backpack and socks. I'm very happy with my walking shoes.

I think it is important to start purchasing what your walking gear so you can train in and with it, that way if something is not working you have plenty of time to buy something else. My friend who is walking with me found out on one of our training walks that her rain jacket was not working where as mine is great, she changed bought one like mine, rained again yesterday while walking and she is now happy. I have tried a number of different socks, now I have what is perfect for me. So watch the sales buy what you think you need and try them out. We have been walking with our full pack for about 6 weeks now and we start walking from Pamplona on the 4th Sept. Hopefully all the bugs will be gone. But nothing is perfect.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
SisterSimon said:
As a nun who wears formal habit every day, I have nothing appropriate for a Camino. So, I have no choice but to buy things early-and I don't have secular friends who are into long distance hiking to borrow from;except my doctor who has a headlamp from his cycling days.

I had to look up Westport. :mrgreen: I can't imagine there isn't some sort of hiking/camping/hunting culture.

If there isn't my guess your biggest problem is finding half decent shops. Canadian tire is fine for tires but for hiking gear you're better off with Mec. Cheaper,better quality and more selection. But unless you shop online I guess the nearest one to you is in Ottawa. Or is Toronto slightly closer?

Kingston is the closest city, and I'm pretty sure I can find a lot of what I need there. Apart from shoes and pack, there is quite a bit I can get online.The one place in Westport that carries quality gear only has mens clothing-but that's still quite remarkable considering its a village of only 700 people.Boating is.the biggest outdoor activity here, as this is the Thousand Islands area. There's a bit of deer hunting in the fall, but a lot of hunters go further afield for the season even though we still have lots of deer.In any case, Westport isn't going to be the place to shop. Did pick up a great staff here, but I want poles for the Camino as I have fibromyalgia and arthritis,and need all the help I can get! Probably Spain will be the place to buy those, as there are so many restrictions on the airlines.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the link. I've been meaning to check them out as I've heard so many good things about them. Hopefully I'll have a little money soon and can pick up another piece of gear or two. I do have a Tilley hat and a great anorak for rain and wind....so I'm making a little progress. Too bad there isn't a Camino 'exchange' for people who won't be walking again and lower income first timers. I check out the forum's equipment thread from time to time.

NicoZ said:
How much stuff do you need?

How much stuff can you borrow?

Outside of a guide book I don't think I really bought anything for the camino. I have a backpack. I have boots etc.

Start by looking at what you have.

Yes, I'll definitely be asking around first before going out an buying brand new anything. My husband has a lot of military gear like headlamp and rain jacket/pants that I would try out before I went and bought anything. Other than that I don't really have anything. At home my wardrobe only consists of flip flops, cut off T-shirts, and basketball shorts, literally. :D So not much I that would be practical on the camino. I'll be looking at 2nd hand stores too!

Thanks for all of the replies! :)

{Candace, Texas, USA)

I didn't buy anything.

I hike a lot and I used the hiking gear that I take backpacking.

You don't need a special 'pilgrim' ensemble. Lots of people walking in t-shirts and jeans with sneakers.

€60,-
SisterSimon said:
Kingston is the closest city, and I'm pretty sure I can find a lot of what I need there. Apart from shoes and pack, there is quite a bit I can get online.The one place in Westport that carries quality gear only has mens clothing-but that's still quite remarkable considering its a village of only 700 people.Boating is.the biggest outdoor activity here, as this is the Thousand Islands area. There's a bit of deer hunting in the fall, but a lot of hunters go further afield for the season even though we still have lots of deer.In any case, Westport isn't going to be the place to shop. Did pick up a great staff here, but I want poles for the Camino as I have fibromyalgia and arthritis,and need all the help I can get! Probably Spain will be the place to buy those, as there are so many restrictions on the airlines.

Put your poles in your pack or tie them to the outside of it. No problem so long as the pack is going as checked baggage.

I knew footwear was the most important but learned the hard way that just because my older shoes were comfortable that didn't mean they would last me the camino.

We live in a small town and decided early last fall to walk the camino. Our winter lasts about 6 months and by the time stores started getting spring stock in I was worried I wouldn't have time to break them in and would get horrible blisters. I wore my old hikers that were very comfortable and still had tread left but unfortunately they were too worn and I ended up with plantars fasciitis. In hindsight I should have made the 9 hour return trip to the next big town and spent the time and money buying new boots.

Technical clothing is also very important when it comes to comfort and also drying times when hanging your clothes to dry. My daughter took a shirt with a bit of cotton and we were very surprised how much longer that took to dry. Start checking out all the second hand stores now and you will save a ton of money.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Get to know the return policies at the stores you think you will buy from. KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS! That way you can return what seemed like a good idea at the time. As you prepare your eye will catch new things at the store and on this site that you may prefer over what you already bought.

My Camino won't be for another 14 months but as I'm not wealthy I'm going to have to put my kit together piece by piece. So in which order do I purchase my gear?

One fellow at a local outdoor outfitting store said not to purchase my boots/shoes too early. He said that you want time to break them in but not to wear them in so much as they wear out while you're on the trail and you have to break in new ones while on the road.

I have a few pieces of clothing like a hiking skirt and hiking pants but not much else since nothing I have from more than a year ago fits me any more, yay! I do have a pair of Tevas I'm bringing for my evening shoes, can't stand Crocs, they give me a backache and hurt my feet. But other than a few bits and bobs I don't have any gear as yet. I'm hoping my 2 birthdays and a Christmas between now and my Camino will produce at least a couple REI, Amazon or other GCs to help with the expenses. :D

Maybe clothing and pack items first, then the pack and then the boots? I'm thinking my boots should be comfortable even when wearing my full pack. Or at least borrow a loaded pack from the outfitter store while I'm are getting my boots fitted.

I agree with you WayWalker, buying the clothing you need, a sleeping bag/liner if you are taking them, waterproofs etc as you can afford them is the way forward. We took advantage of sales and gifts (retirement/Christmas/birthday etc) to help with collecting items. It was also nice that way to remember people who gave us items, or helped us to buy them.

Once you have your kit, and have sorted out the must-haves from the nice-to-haves then you can take the kit to a store and find a well fitting pack that takes your kit, with a little space to spare.

Then it will be time to buy boots, wearing your socks and carrying your pack.

Leave time for breaking in your boots and getting used to your pack.

Then it will soon be Camino time.
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Tia- I appreciate the advice if experience.

I almost feel like I'm talking to myself when I call you Tia. At the Mexican restaurant I go all the time, the staff call me Tia. :lol:

My .02 on buying stuff.

Buy boots and socks early and break them all in (including socks). My wife, btw, preferred aquaphor to vaseline. You could use less for the amount and the tubes you find in the baby section weigh very little.

Otherwise, we bought everything after Christmas. Lots of good deals to be had online. Shop in stores now and keep track of your sizes in different brands and jump on sales after Christmas. We bought from a company called Gander Mountain, which I'm fairly sure is in TX.

For those of you in the US, buy as much as you can at home. It is FAR more expensive in France and Spain (especially with the exchange rate).

The one exception to this for choweth (living in Texas) in convertible pants. These, where we are (New Orleans), seem to be a Spring item. My wife couldn't shop the Spring a year before our camino because she had JUST had our baby. She waited until the winter, couldn't find any, and then couldn't find pants that fit her well when the few that had come out just before we left hit the shelves.

Instead, she took Target Yoga pants for the cold and purchased two hiking skorts from a company called Ahtleta, which is having their annual sale now. She really liked them, they held up extremely well, and she is still wearing them post-camino for errands and such in town (she has one on today). She also got a light weight summer dress from them. It weighed very little, could be quickly pulled over her head and was the one "clean" outfit that she could wear while washing all her other clothes. Their clothes were not cheap, but given their post-camino use and how they've held up, a good deal nonetheless.

P.S. We brought head lamps and never used them. In summer, it stays light late and we never left the albergue before dawn/light. But, because we were walking with our baby, that may be an issue particular to us.

But, seriously, there are some GOOD deals to be had after Christmas.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Part of the issue with boots is to buy them and keep them until you need to wear them in, otherwise they can be worn out before you start the Camino :) Next year's for us are sitting in the cupboard - the price was right and the fit but we are training in our old ones for a few months yet.

We do a fair amount of hiking, so I am pretty much going to bring stuff I already have - hiking clothes, boots, and socks, poles, etc. I think I will buy a new pair of boots a few months before my camino - my current boots have a lot of miles on them, so they should probably be replaced soon anyway.

I do need to get an appropriate back back though and a light sleeping bag. I think I will get these for Christmas, which will be several months before my camino. My day pack is great, but it doesn't have a sleeping bag compartment and I don't want to just lash my sleeping bag to the outside and not be able to put the rain cover over it should there be rain... :cry: And since we don't backpack, my sleeping bag is a big 'ol heavy Costco special.

Although I still have a year to go, I am already looking for clothes as I am hard to fit.
My boots and day pack, and long pants, will all be inappropriate for a summer Camino. I run hot and I've never done more than day hikes in cooler weather. I think the only thing I could use from what I already have is underwear and my fleece. And safety pins :)
I expect I will also be able to use my sarong, as I use it for pretty much everything already.

Currently I am focused, perhaps a wee bit obsessed! with my packing list. Yes, a year ahead--because I cannot control the Camino any more than I can control life--but I can control my packing list.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We bought the majority of our equipment from REI - they have a 100% return policy - we went through 5 different shoes/boots before we made our final decision. We bought a small 50F sleep sack filled with polyester - returned for down filled - returned back for the poly fill - weighed the same - the down was much more expensive. We bought back packs and returned back packs. Did that with other equipment also. Our first purchase was very good & expensive hiking boots & socks. Backpacks were next - the rest just followed. We watched for sales as we started a year before we walked, so we were able to save money that way. Jackets originally priced at $149 purchased for $99 and so on. Get the boots & socks and your backpack - you can put anything in the pack to add weight - we
even used a 5 pound bag of sugar for a while until we had real camino things :).

Once I knew I was going, I just started to pick odd pieces up as I found them if they were a good price. I just don't have the kind of budget where I can go out and buy all the equipment at once.So Id say I started buying a good 18 months before the earliest I hope to go, September 2014.

Hi! Just gather what you need in sales etc. AND get your boots and socks as soon as possible and start wearing them to get your feet ready. There are threads elsewhere about boots, shoes, trekking shoes and so forth. I read these at length and I did take quite a long time to get my trekkers. I bought them 1.5 sizes larger than my day to day shoes. Oh, and when you go to buy them do so in the afternoon when your feet have expanded a little and walk around the shop for quite a time until you are happy with them. You will know when you have the right ones for your feet.
Buen camino and happy planning and shopping. It is an exciting time preparing for your journey so enjoy the experiences.

- I started to buy my Equipment about a week after I saw the Martin Sheen movie the Way. I was already familiar with the Camino, the movie was the igniter I needed to get going. I have now discovered that a large group of people from my town have walked the Camino. You have 8 months to shop, so I suggest you look for sales at local sporting goods shops in your area, you can probably save a lot of money with carefull shopping. Good boots/walking shoes, proper medium weight socks and liners, hiking poles and a good fitting backpack are a priority.

- For Canadians, M.E.C. (Mountain Equipment Coop) is a one stop shopping store ! Everything you need for walking the Camino, a lot of in-house brands at good prices. Drove in to one of the Montreal stores to buy items we could not find locally. We met two fellows buying walking shoes that are planing a March Camino starting out from Arles in France !

-

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This year I couldn't decide before the camino what sweater, and also some other stuff, to buy.
I decided to take just a real old long sleeve shirt with me which would do for the first days and which I could leave at any place behind, and to buy a sweater and other things at the camino itself, depending in what I at that moment really need.
It stopped me from worrying a lot and I felt much more free. I didn't spent all my money for gear before but had money to spent while on the camino. Only at the camino itself I experience what I really need. I find out I don't really need a lot, and if I need it, I can buy it. Although I was not buying things during sales, in the end it was much cheaper for me.
In the end I found my perfect sweater, not expensive, in Leon... While I started in Madrid, I waited to buy this sweater only after the first night when I missed it. This was only in Leon.

I decided I loved my old shirt that much that I didn't want to throw away. So I sent it from Leon to poste restante in SdC, this together with some other things I found out I didn't use. It made my pack lighter. For pilgrims there is a special cheap fare for sending stuff to SdC.

So my advice; don't worry. Buy things in Spain (they are often cheaper then in other european countries) only when you need it.
For most people Pamplona will be the first bigger place, three days after SJPdP. They you can find anything you (really!) need.

Last edited:
Well, I started to buy things about 7 or 8 months before doing the Caminho.

This because, I wasn't really used to walk so long stretches (maximum walked per day was 8km), so I had to train, and training with your gear it’s a very important thing to do, almost so important, has to buy it!

So, I started with the boots and a daypack. Then I bought socks, pants, t-shirts, etc etc. I ended up almost doing a Hicking every week (or at least a big one every month). The thing that I left to the end was the backpack. I managed to find my backpack on sales time, and bought it for about 19,99€. It's a little bit heavier, but hey, it fits for this and for my travels to other places.

So I think that you could go buying them slowly, you still have time to adapt for your material. And you can also follow the advice from @Thomas1962 , and take only the basics, and in the end, you can buy some stuff in Spain, which has things much more cheaper than the US.

Best Regards
Diogo

I have to disagree on gear being cheaper in Spain, you have more opportunities to buy gear cheaper and on sale in the US. I spent a year gathering clothing and gear.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The main advantage of buying things in Spain is avoiding airport security and the airline weight limits. If you're looking at something cheap and heavy or something that isn't allowed in your carry on it might make sense.

OTOH you risk finding out the item isn't right for you .

My two centimos. I started buying just a couple I months before I went. I'm a bit poor and not really fussy when it comes to what I wear. I know there are lots if ind with discussions on the boards about the best bag this, the best socks that, oooh and what about the best brand for a poncho. I really think it's all a bit irrelevant. The key for me is a good pair of shoes, which I had. The rest of the equipment for my 51 day trek I picked up where I could and cheap.
My poncho was €18.99. I only needed one extra pair of walking socks, about €8. I bought a lightweight jacket with vents for €18. A crappy basic fleece for €20. I wore my shorts every day (even through wind and hail and over the mountains) and borrowed my dad's blue work trousers. I bought a quick dry camping towel for €20 (good investment) and then odds and sods like small size toiletries and medicines.
Factor number one is boots. Boots, boots, boots. If they're worn in the rest will come naturally :).

When did you start gathering/buying stuff for your camino? Patches, backpack, socks, guidebook, shoes an all else? I'm just SO excited but I still have 8 months...

{Candace, Texas, USA)
I started 4 months ago and I'm not leaving till September 2014. My boots will be well broken in. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
- I started to buy my Equipment about a week after I saw the Martin Sheen movie the Way.

-

After I saw the movie a year ago I decided this was something I needed to do. The first thing I did was inventory my light weight backpacking equipment to ascertain what I could use, what I could leave behind, and what I needed to acquire. The first things to go were tent, sleeping bag. sleeping pad, stove, and cooking gear. That saved a lot of weight. Next, based on packing lists posted on this forum, I started acquiring gear unique to walking the camino (sleeping bag liner, electric coil, guide books, etc.). After getting my stuff pretty much together, I realized my pack was too large so I purchased a new pack. Now, I'm down to tweaking my equipment to get lighter and/or more durable. Usually, durabilty and light weight in backpacking gear means higher prices. If I don't go soon I'll have all the gear and no money. I'll be like a dead atheist, i.e. all dressed up with no place to go. I guess the lesson here is you go with what you have and not with what you want. Just go.

The main advantage of buying things in Spain is avoiding airport security and the airline weight limits. If you're looking at something cheap and heavy or something that isn't allowed in your carry on it might make sense.

OTOH you risk finding out the item isn't right for you .

Airport security? You still have to go through security anyways, if you're trying pack a knife and trekking poles with metal tips (which are annoying) in your carry on bag, then you'll have issues with airport security. Airline weight limits? Iberia has a limit of 23KG, most pilgrims are carrying less than 12KG on average.
Most backpacks won't fit in the overhead compartments on some of the smaller aircraft, so either way, you'll have to check in your backpack. If you're flying a long haul flight from the US, you're allowed one free check in bag, so bring the gear you want and check it in.

I started assembling gear (especially pack, boots, and poles) about two years before I actually walked. That is because a family illness delayed my departure by a year. That being said, the last week was frantic, as I was packing and re-packing. And I vividly remember dashing out on the night before departure to purchase some lighter-weight shoes for walking about in the evenings. That rushed decision did not work out so well. It's amazing what epiphanies I had, as I started carefully weighing everything I was throwing into my pack. So it took a while to edit that down, and replace heavier with lighter, and replace more with less. I don't think it's ever too early to start packing the kit.

Not too late at all, and I am very grateful for your offer. I will happily accept any kit you feel you can part with temporarily- of course I will return it when I get back. You're in Kingston? Any chance I can buy you a coffee and hear about your Camino?Looking forward to meeting you!!!!!And thank you for your kindness.

Last edited:

{Candace, Texas, USA)
Part of the Camino is reading this forum, talking to other pilgrims and of course shopping for what you think you will need. I have been preparing for this journey for about a year. It has been a great year for I have read many threads that have enlightened me. Threads that made me realize that I don't know what I don't know. I have learned so much.
The buying is so personnel. You will buy what you think is right for you. It is important for you to buy your trekking shoes early to be sure they are broken in. You don't want blisters etc. So have fun go early and just enjoy the journey. It will from I have read be life changing.
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not too late at all, and I am very grateful for your offer. I will happily accept any kit you feel you can part with temporarily- of course I will return it when I get back.
Used and near new shops really are a great way to find good gear, if you have the time to be patient. Not sure if you have Goodwill, ARC, and such like in Canada, but I have to believe the reality of second hand stores is pretty much universal.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back