• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Did you get tired of wearing same colours for weeks?

Richard Smith

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016
Kumano Kodo 2014
By chance, almost all of my gear on a 45 day camino was dark blue / dark green / dark grey / black, my wife even commented that one set made me look like a school boy in uniform (and at 60+ I will take that as a compliment).
And afterwards I really enjoyed putting on some new colours while usually at home I don't care, first clean thing to hand works fine.
So here is an article from OZ, how to colour plan your outfits!
It even has some useful advice - which I don't think peregrinos would dispute...
>>
For adventure holidays such as hiking trips, she explained that the bulk of your bag should be hiking outfits and gear.
When in doubt, narrow down the number of "just in case" outfits, travellers suggested.
Cutting down on the number of shoes you're taking with you can also make a big difference.
>>

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
By chance, almost all of my gear on a 45 day camino was dark blue / dark green / dark grey / black, my wife even commented that one set made me look like a school boy in uniform (and at 60+ I will take that as a compliment).
And afterwards I really enjoyed putting on some new colours while usually at home I don't care, first clean thing to hand works fine.
It even has some useful advice - which I don't think peregrinos would dispute...
>>
For adventure holidays such as hiking trips, she explained that the bulk of your bag should be hiking outfits and gear.
When in doubt, narrow down the number of "just in case" outfits, travellers suggested.
Cutting down on the number of shoes you're taking with you can also make a big difference.
>>
I have a student coming along on our Camino trip in a few weeks who told her Mom, "can you believe that I only have an extra set of clothes and some crocs in my backpack?"

Apparently she normally travels with 2 suitcases, a carry-on, and 3 or 4 sets of shoes.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Limited clothes for weeks on end doesn't bother me at all...in fact it's very liberating not having to make that daily decision. Same outfit during the day, then change into your only other set at the end of the day...simples!
And as you probably never want to see those items again, or they're walking on their own, or have that shabby look from weeks of elements exposure & handwashing, at the end of your journey...just ditch them!
All my travelling is done with carry-on only; I can't even imagine how to fill a 'normal' suitcase...what are people taking?
One in your pack, one on your back... only way to go. 🤗
👣🌏

As somebody who is, shall we say, fashion challenged (some would say ignorant), it doesn't bother me at all. The only reason I have three different coloured pairs of socks is because it makes it a hell of a lot easier to know which are the dirtiest without a sniff test!
Clothes shopping is one of my least favorite activities, when I find something that fits I buy two or three. I do try and buy different colours but if they've only got one, so what?
And I most certainly do not throw away my clothes at the end of a Camino if they've still got any 'wear' left in them.
That to me is an environmental 'crime'.

Without taking it to the extreme even my normal (non Camino) clothes go through three simple stages - good casual wear, clothes only to wear at home, and gardening/workshop clothes.
To be fair sometimes the only way I realised it was time to make the change was when my wife bought me a new shirt....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No.

Even at home it's always the same colours. I wear a lot of Camino clothes at home, or home clothes on the Camino, not sure anymore 🤣.

Mainly dark grey, dark blue, olive green, brownish colours, black.

When walking, I enjoy the colours that are all around, I just need to look up, down, around, behind me...

Blue sky, pastel pink sunsets and sunrises, silver-golden wheat fields, the different shades of greens of the landscape, blooming flowers, colourful birds and insects...

Never gets boring!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This. Even when I walked for about 15 weeks I didn't care about those same outfits all the time. I also quite enjoyed it that I never had to think about what to wear.
Even I would probably struggle mentally wearing only two sets of clothes for 15 weeks!

Only choice i made with my two sets of clothes (apart from their ability to do the job); was whether they looked dirty quickly!
Yes, I never bring white or cream colors.

The only reason I have three different coloured pairs of socks is because it makes it a hell of a lot easier to know which are the dirtiest without a sniff test!
Clever idea for those who bring three pair. I bring three, but have not needed them...yet.

Last edited:
Clever idea for those who bring three pair. I bring three, but have needed them...yet.
I like to change my socks part way through the day. Today’s afternoon socks become tomorrow’s morning socks, which are then washed at the end of the day. With different colours, it’s easy to keep track

Only ever bring two changes of clothes, only ever shorts, never trousers. Love bright colours though. Clothes always been important to me, but travelling light is more important, than clothes on the Camino to me! Maybe we need a ‘Camino catwalk’ group to rival Paris, New York, Milan and London!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
>>
>>
The only person who sees this outfit for your entire Camino is YOU. The people you meet in each town or village are seeing your outfit for the first time.

Your Camino family doesn't care, because they are in the same predicament - unless they have their own, dedicated luggage bearers.

You can choose to go monochromatic, or change it up based on what I have learned to do.

I plan a mix and match clothing array. It is based on complementary colors, so everything 'goes' with everything else. Hiking cargo pants are grey and olive green. They have zip off legs to convert into shorts. So, in appropriate weather, I have four pair of pants.

Boots are brown with grey accents. Belt is nylon, web and brown. Shirts tend to be bright contrasting colors for road-walking safety. They go with anything. I wear the clean shirt to sleep in and to wear the next day.

Only in cold weather or protracted rain periods will I bring a third underwear and shirt change (twoair socks, boxer shorts, shirt. Not taking this extra clothing saves about 1kg.

Outerwear, like rain gear or a wind parka, is usually bright safety-enhancing, contrasting colors. Things like fleece are usually brown, tan or grey.

With a little thought, you can have a different outfit each day for at least four days, while only carrying one change and wearing the other.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
This. Even when I walked for about 15 weeks I didn't care about those same outfits all the time. I also quite enjoyed it that I never had to think about what to wear.
I had been wearing the same two brightly coloured checkered shirts for almost 5 months since walking from home. So obviously they were looking quite faded. Somewhere on the Norte (Cartavio?) I noticed how bright the colours looked in the morning sun as my shirt was hanging inside out to dry. I cut off the buttons and sewed them on on the other side and thus became a turn-shirt! Cheered me up no end!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
>>
Cutting down on the number of shoes you're taking with you can also make a big difference
I guess for someone traveling for work or fun there is some information that can help but it is basically common sense. Like cutting down on the number of shoes you are taking. The idea of "renting" clothes is just another way to get people who have too much money to spend even more of their money wastefully. When you are on the camino, at least for me, a large part of my experience is walking with nothing and learning you don't need anything in life besides the love of your family and friends, and a purpose that money or color coordinated clothes can't buy and knowing that 7 or 8 kilos on your back is really all you need.

Last edited:
>>
>>
One of the best tips I read on a camino forum was to bring clothes you love because you'll be wearing them all the time. I bought 2 good quality merino shirts in dark blue and dark pink that I alternated wearing. I also tried to stick with darker colors so that (1) they don't show the dirt and (2) everything can be washed together in the same load of laundry.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Since I don't walk the Camino to show off my clothing I have no problem only wearing the same two sets of shorts and shirts for 4-6 weeks. I rather like the grays and dark blues of my tech shirts, fleece pullover, poncho, parka etc. I find them very comfortable. It sure is a more varied variety than the two sets of desert camo army utilities I wore in the middle east for thirteen months. 😆

I brought two sets of cut off trousers so I could choose if I wanted to wear pants or if it was warm enough for shorts, two shorts, three socks and three superlightweight underwear. One darker set one lighter set but as others have mentioned not white but a different colour. LOVED the freedom of not having to decided on what to wear.... loved the simplicity. Could then focus on my internal self, walking, my precious feet and my surroundings, less distractions...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I purchased a very lightweight and coloful scarf for 5 euros on my 1st trip to Portugal. It now goes on every trip with me. I pack black shorts and pants and a couple solid colored shirts (usually blue & reddish colors; long and short sleeve). Add the scarf at night for going out and I have a whole new outfit. Its amazing how warming a scarf around your shoulder and neck came be. I was even asked by a fellow walker on the Camino how I had so many outfits in my small pack! The scaft made all the difference. My partner and I love traveling light. Plus, after wearing just two outfits on the Camino for multiple months (or any trip), when I return home it feels as if I have a whole closet full of 'new' outfits. :)

17027441524024457303710143015278.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Colour is something that usually affects my mood. If I know I'm feeling a bit down, I'll purposely wear something cheery. With this in mind, my second long sleeve top (March -April camino) is a cheery bright pinky-orange) . However, on the Camino, there are very few mirrors or shop windows to glimpse my reflection ( and I don't ever consciously look), but my focus is so much on every little snippet of colour & marvel in my surroundings, & at times also what is in my head & heart, that the colour of what is covering my skin is totally irrelevant.
I know that my memory of other pilgrims that I saw on several occasions, I still picture as "the one with the blue beanie", "the all-khaki pilgrim", or "the all-black" ( Maybe that was you, JabbaPappa!)
Also, I'm wearing the same clothes in virtually every photo.
Having some colour in a bandanna, buff or scarf is an uplifting idea.

I think all of my Camino shirts are either a shade of blue or black, paired with black leggings or black hiking pants. It did not bother me at all to wear the same colour or gear every day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
>>
>>
I've changed my ways. I am now a blaze of glory with bright colors so I can be seen. Everything clashes so combinations are loud and proud and cars can see me in rain, sleet , snow, fog or sunrise. I don't tire of it because when I'm a pilgrim I'm in my costumes.

>>
>>
No...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola or G'Day mate @Richard Smith I overcame this sameness by wearing two or three different shirts, especially if I stayed an extra night in cities such as Burgos or Leon. I also had two pair of trecking pants so could swap espcially if the first ones were still a little damp. But hey this is just another Camino minor problem. Cheers

I have a pair of underpants that are blue with white horizontal stripes. Quite Edwardian in style and cut. I also have a pair that are white with blue horizontal stripes. I find it comforting to be able to vary my presentation without applying too much effort or thought.
Now there's a mind pic I can't unsee! 😳 😆
Dearest @Tincatinker, please put our collective minds at rest & confirm you do indeed wear something over the aforementioned unmentionables...the words "vary my presentation" has me concerned for your fellow pilgrims! 🙈 🤭
👣🌏

I purchased a very lightweight and coloful scarf for 5 euros on my 1st trip to Portugal. It now goes on every trip with me...
Add the scarf at night for going out and I have a whole new outfit.

...I always bring a favorite scarf on my Caminos, too. I have many so bring a different one each time...
Another scarf fan here. I have a travel scarf I seem physically incapable of leaving at home no matter the trip style or destination.🧣 🤗
👣🌏

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I purchased a very lightweight and coloful scarf for 5 euros on my 1st trip to Portugal. It now goes on every trip with me. I pack black shorts and pants and a couple solid colored shirts (usually blue & reddish colors; long and short sleeve). Add the scarf at night for going out and I have a whole new outfit. Its amazing how warming a scarf around your shoulder and neck came be. I was even asked by a fellow walker on the Camino how I had so many outfits in my small pack! The scaft made all the difference. My partner and I love traveling light. Plus, after wearing just two outfits on the Camino for multiple months (or any trip), when I return home it feels as if I have a whole closet full of 'new' outfits. :)
The scarf goes a long way

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mainly it gets sun-bleached after more than a month on a warm weather Camino.
Black also shows dirt from trails. The best color to hide trail dirt is khaki or tan, which are the color of dried dirt. Good colors for cars too if you don't like to wash them a lot.😉

I usually carry 3 sets of clothes (1 wear, 2 spare). The t-shirts and jacket are always in VERY bright colours, like neon yellow, super pink and crayola blue. Same with socks and even the hairband. My reasoning being that if I ever roll down a cliff, I want the rescue services to find me really quick! :D

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I wear tops and bottoms with colors that can be swapped around (everything goes with everything). And since we generally continue on to another country after our walk, I carry some items that look a bit more dressed up. My black Merino wool top becomes my going-out sweater and a nylon or silk neck scarf makes it perfect for going to a good restaurant in most any city.

If you walk a 1,000K + , some dust at the bottom of your trousers and on your boots is the least of your worries.

Then when it rains, or you wash your stuff, it comes off. No big deal.
My point is that if someone chooses to wear black specifically to "hide the dirt" they won't be very successful. 😉

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
To all who indicated that they really did not care about "the sameness" (and I must confess that I am in the same camp myself)
I put forth a small scene from the 1986 remake of "The Fly". When Jeff Goldblum brings Geena Davis to his apartment for the 1st time she discovers a closet full of same gray suits and white shirts. He tells her that this way he doesn't waste time on figuring out what to wear- rather just stick his hand into it and pull something out.
Makes perfect sense to me....

I put forth a small scene from the 1986 remake of "The Fly". When Jeff Goldblum brings Geena Davis to his apartment for the 1st time she discovers a closet full of same gray suits and white shirts. He tells her that this way he doesn't waste time on figuring out what to wear- rather just stick his hand into it and pull something out.
Makes perfect sense to me...
Steve Jobs apparently had the same philosophy.

LOL! I’ve been wearing the same purple shirt since 2017 on Caminos and long-distance trails.

It really makes me recognizable- as the Canadian with the purple shirt. Especially when I hop on/off on the Camino Frances. :)

I’ve replaced it a few times when the holes became impossible to repair.

IMG_2737.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
2 blue long sleeved shirts. 1 grey and 1 black long hiking pants. Grey shorts maroon T-shirt. Red fleece hat and yellow fluorescent rain jacket. No planning. Just what i had. But I had to have a colourful necklace for a bit of colour and gold earrings.
I was more concerned about clothes being clean. I was in an albergue 3 days out of Santiago in October.. It was raining heavily. It was a trendy new albergue but as the albergue filled I noticed the smell of dirty, wet clothes. I went to the laundry to find a pilgrim removing his clothes from the dryer saying he doesn't wash them first and I put my clean clothes in the dryer after him. Many albergues charged 5 euro a wash and 5 euro for a dry which is expensive for me as an Australian.. Has anyone come across this before just drying clothes not washing?

LOL! I’ve been wearing the same purple shirt since 2017 on Caminos and long-distance trails.

It really makes me recognizable- as the Canadian with the purple shirt. Especially when I hop on/off on the Camino Frances. :)

I’ve replaced it a few times when the holes became impossible to repair.
I am actually doing the same thing, same trousers and same shirt which are my main set for long walks ... and I replace them every now and then with identical pieces :) All green though, so not that easy to spot from a distance.

@dreaming , Definitely not.
But then, I seldom use the machines - I normally handwash.
I have only once used the machines alone - I normally share with two or three others. Thus, the cost becomes minimal

2 blue long sleeved shirts. 1 grey and 1 black long hiking pants. Grey shorts maroon T-shirt. Red fleece hat and yellow fluorescent rain jacket. No planning. Just what i had. But I had to have a colourful necklace for a bit of colour and gold earrings.
I was more concerned about clothes being clean. I was in an albergue 3 days out of Santiago in October.. It was raining heavily. It was a trendy new albergue but as the albergue filled I noticed the smell of dirty, wet clothes. I went to the laundry to find a pilgrim removing his clothes from the dryer saying he doesn't wash them first and I put my clean clothes in the dryer after him. Many albergues charged 5 euro a wash and 5 euro for a dry which is expensive for me as an Australian.. Has anyone come across this before just drying clothes not washing?
Never ever came across that and it sounds disgusting and reckless towards fellow pilgrims who want to use the same dryer.
Where I live some people have drying closets where you can do that as there you hang the clothes and the do not come in contact with anything... but in a tumble dryer? Eeek!

I myself always handwash only on my Caminos. One reason is cost, but my main concern is that I do not trust those laundry machines with my all my woolen clothes.

I hand washed when the sun was shining however it rained for two weeks in October and the albergues only allowed clothes in the dryer that had been washed in the washing machine not hand washed. Perhaps they deemed the clothes too wet when hand washed.

the albergues only allowed clothes in the dryer that had been washed in the washing machine not hand washed. Perhaps they deemed the clothes too wet when hand washed.

Some people don't know how to hand wash clothes so they get clean, not just wet. I have shared a few tips with young boys who were walking for the first time. (Always boys, never girls, in my experience.)

€46,-
I hand washed when the sun was shining however it rained for two weeks in October and the albergues only allowed clothes in the dryer that had been washed in the washing machine not hand washed. Perhaps they deemed the clothes too wet when hand washed.
Too much water in handwashed clothes may damage the dryer, and wettish handwashed clothes may take too long to dry, preventing others from using the machine...

Last edited:
Too much water in hadnwashed clothes may damage the dryer, and wetish handwashed lothes may take to long to dry, prevnting others from using the machine...
One of the reasons why many hospitaleros don't allow pilgrims to operate the machines themselves.

I went to the laundry to find a pilgrim removing his clothes from the dryer saying he doesn't wash them first

Some people put their dry clothes into the dryer to kill bed bugs, or to heat-treat their gear as precaution when they think they might have gotten in contact - just to be sure they won't carry them to the next place. Many fabrics do not tolerate being put in the dryer when wet (wool for example...) but can be heat treated when dry without being damaged. So putting everything in a dryer without washing it first is a good solution for that problem. I've done that a few times, and I've seen other people do that.

I can also imagine people putting clothes into the dryer that have not been washed before, when for example in heavy rain all their gear was soaked. Imagine you arrive in an albergue cold and wet and tired after a long day of walking in the rain, and then you realize that all your clothes for the evening and your sleeping bag are wet, because the "rain proof" backpack cover wasn't as water proof as thought... you'll just throw it all into the dryer.

Those are two situations where it makes sense to put things into the dryer without washing them first. Maybe that's what that pilgrim was doing, and it was a misunderstanding?

I never heard about people drying dirty sweaty clothes before washing first. It doesn't make sense, and therefore would be weird behaviour from a single person, not something that happens regularly.

So I wouldn't be too concerned about traces of dirt or sweat in the dryer.

It's probably more likely to find that on the beds of some albergues...

the albergues only allowed clothes in the dryer that had been washed in the washing machine not hand washed. Perhaps they deemed the clothes too wet when hand washed.

Some people don't know how to hand wash clothes so they get clean, not just wet. I have shared a few tips with young boys who were walking for the first time. (Always boys, never girls, in my experience.)
The one issue I have with extended hand washing at albergues is that quite often there is other pilgrims waiting to use the clothing wash basins and I have to admit, quite a few pilgrims take a long time to wash their clothing whilst others wait. I equate it to spending a long time in an albergue shower. Quite rude and inconsiderate.
I take the approach we took when washing clothes in the field in the military. Rinse out the sweat and dirt first and a quick wash in soapy water and a rinse and get out of the way for the next guy. Hey, it's only for a month and about once a week I wash and dry all my stuff in machines if available.

The one issue I have with extended hand washing at albergues is that quite often there is other pilgrims waiting to use the clothing wash basins and I have to admit, quite a few pilgrims take a long time to wash their clothing whilst others wait. I equate it to spending a long time in an albergue shower. Quite rude and inconsiderate.
I take the approach we took when washing clothes in the field in the military. Rinse out the sweat and dirt first and a quick wash in soapy water and a rinse and get out of the way for the next guy. Hey, it's only for a month and about once a week I wash and dry all my stuff in machines if available.
In all the albergues where I have worked and most where I have stayed, there usually plastic basins near the lavaduro (wash basin). The intent is that you put your clothes, soap, and water in the basin and then wash and or soak you clothes in the basin away from the wash sink. After a good soak and some agitation, you go back to the sink and replace the soapy water with clean water for a rinse. This is a very effective way to wash clothes by hand, conserves water, and helps with any bottleneck at the wash sink. @trecile does something similar with a stuff sack. Puts in soap, water, clothes and lets it soak while she showers. Later rinses and then the laundry is ready to wring out and dry.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I get where you're coming from. But your background is somewhat different from many. You know how important short showers and making space for the next guy is - many people have absolutely no idea. They've quite simply never been in this situation before. Some - in fact many - have never washed their clothes by hand before. Or stayed somewhere with communal facilities.
In New Zealand we don't pay for water, the idea of a short shower was new to me when I first started travelling. I used to LOVE the shower. Think sauna. I learnt and now in an Albergue I use the sailor shower technique.
I like to believe that people are becoming a little more aware, and when possible I try and teach newbies a few travel tricks / tips - much like you and I have learnt in our different ways

Two thoughts: 1) The laundromat is your friend. 2) There is nothing worse than waiting for someone in the shower. And hearing them sing. I remember, once, arriving in Roncesvalles, and a group of 4 used all the stalls, and stayed there for like 15 minutes. They enjoyed hearing each other sing. I didn't, and coughed loudly to let them know someone else was waiting. They didn't care.

We rely on rainwater, 2 x 30,000 litre tanks normally last a summer, using the water frugally.
When city grandchildren visit in the summer, they are warned how long they have, and if they continue to run the water after we've knocked on the door - we turn the pump off at the switchboard.
We've only had it do it once for each kid.
Pity you cant do that in albergues.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@trecile does something similar with a stuff sack. Puts in soap, water, clothes and lets it soak while she showers. Later rinses and then the laundry is ready to wring out and dry.“ - thus not keeping a washbasin occupied. I works beautifully.

“@trecile does something similar with a stuff sack. Puts in soap, water, clothes and lets it soak while she showers. Later rinses and then the laundry is ready to wring out and dry.“ - thus not keeping a washbasin occupied. I works beautifully.
I've been told that doing laundry in the shower is also bad etiquette. For hot water conservation reasons. Seriously, make the laundromat your friend. I mean, you don't have to do it everyday. Every sorta medium to large place has one available. I usually go about every 3 days... (3 days of underwear and socks carried). It's also sort of fun. (and your clothes are so much cleaner).

On my first venture in Spain I had a sleeping bag wrapped in a tarpaulin tied with a length of rope sufficient to suspend the tarp between two perfectly positioned trees. I also had a toothbrush and the luxury of a spare pair of underpants. Those 3 months were such fun.

I like to think that at least I did not contribute to the serious water shortages that occurred in those decades 😉

€46,-
I've been told that doing laundry in the shower is also bad etiquette. For hot water conservation reasons. Seriously, make the laundromat your friend. I mean, you don't have to do it everyday. Every sorta medium to large place has one available. I usually go about every 3 days... (3 days of underwear and socks carried). It's also sort of fun. (and your clothes are so much cleaner).

Why should it be bad etiquette? You “work” the drysack (which is now a wetsack of course with your clothes and soapy water) with your feet while you shower. You do not shower longer than usual thereby not using more water and electricity. Thereby not keeping anybody waiting to use the shower unduly long (etiquette). And you use the wash basin only to rinse your clothes thereby making the wash basin queue faster.

Good idea to use a laundromat occasionally when you come across one!

In all the albergues where I have worked and most where I have stayed, there usually plastic basins near the lavaduro (wash basin). The intent is that you put your clothes, soap, and water in the basin and then wash and or soak you clothes in the basin away from the wash sink. After a good soak and some agitation, you go back to the sink and replace the soapy water with clean water for a rinse. This is a very effective way to wash clothes by hand, conserves water, and helps with any bottleneck at the wash sink.
Thank you for pointing this out. It had never occurred to me to take the plastic basin - with my half-washed clothes in it - out of the washtub thereby giving access to the washtub to someone else who might be waiting. Not that I recall there ever being a queue behind me while I washed my clothes; still it’s good to know, in case there’s a next time.

I’m grateful that we have this exchange of ideas on this forum. I’m always open to enlightenment … at least I hope so. 😊

I've been told that doing laundry in the shower is also bad etiquette.
It is bad etiquette, and can actually damage your clothes if you do the "shower stomp" method of washing. The way that I do it doesn't really take any extra time in the shower. As the water is heating up I fill my dry bag, add a laundry detergent strip and my clothes. Then I seal up the bag and set it aside to soak. After my shower I shake the bag around to agitate it, then carry the whole thing to the laundry sink to dump the water out and rinse my clothing.

It is bad etiquette, and can actually damage your clothes if you do the "shower stomp" method of washing. The way that I do it doesn't really take any extra time in the shower. As the water is heating up I fill my dry bag, add a laundry detergent strip and my clothes. Then I seal up the bag and set it aside to soak. After my shower I shake the bag around to agitate it, then carry the whole thing to the laundry sink to dump the water out and rinse my clothing.
Ok. That sounds ok... I LOVE those laundry strips... but usually just use them in a sink or basin.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back