• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When I Heard the Learn'd Astronomer

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Hola, fellow forum members,

Currently I'm watching Breaking Bad series with great enjoyment. In Season 3 (Episode 6:Sunset) one of the characters recites a Walt Whitman poem which title is also this post's title. Hearing it I immediatelly thought about us experienced walkers, usual suspects, that kind of "know everything" about each and every Camino. And of course I especially also thought of new members, unsecure, not knowing what they are up to etc. Nothing wrong with that. We explain, post links, share our experiences,...

I just remember my first time when literary I knew almost nothing (even nothing about on-line check-in with Ryanair so I had to pay additional fee at Stansted :)) and I went on the Camino with my mother. Crazy stuff as it may seems today. I had Brierley but read just the first stage to Roncesvalles. And despite my twisted ankle (happened two weeks before departure) we have had a great time until Logrono where doctor advise me to go home. Somehow I can't imagine a pilgrim 7 (yes, only 7) years later to go on any Camino just like we did. Now even I prepare myself better than then, haha. Some people here did Camino (Frances) more than 20 years ago. I bow to them.

Anyway, here's the poem:
"When I heard the learn'd astronomer
When the proofs, the figures
Were ranged in columns before me
When I was shown the charts
And the diagrams
To add, divide, and measure them
When I, sitting,
Heard the astronomer
Where he lectured with much applause
In the lecture-room
How soon, unaccountable
I became tired and sick
Till rising and gliding out
I wander'd off by myself
In the mystical moist night-air
And from time to time
Look'd up in perfect silence
At the stars."

Not just stars but an eternity as I see it:
Eternity - Via de Bayona.jpg

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.