• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When to walk Via de Plata

Susan B Johnson

PuraVida
Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
Hello fellow pilgrims!

I met a wonderful pilgrim last spring, and we'd like to do a short Camino next spring. My friend's schedule is limited to the last 2 weeks of May. We'd both like to spend some time in Seville, but I've heard that the Via de Plata is difficult due to limited services along the way and also the heat. Is it true that it's unbearably warm as early as mid-May? Also, how limited are the services? Does this mean no cafes or albergues for 20K at a stretch or just fewer than the Frances?

Thank you for any information you might be able to share.

:) Susan

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Susan, I walked the Via last April/May. This is a good time to walk although in the southern stretches there were some very hot days with temperatures in the mid to high 30s and there are several very long stages with no services of any kind. This changes somewhat further north however there is still not the amount of services you would find on the Frances. 30km days are common, and I had a couple of 36 km days as well. Also it can be very cold in the mornings in the northern sections, warming up during the day.

Having said that, it's not impossible with a bit of planning for anyone of reasonable fitness. Buen Camino!

Using Gronze as a guide, two weeks would just about get you from Seville to Caceres (has a rail link to Madrid). Services are OK for this section but after Caceres you have a gap until Seville. If you are on a strict 2 weeks, I'd suggest a shorter finish at Merida with it's wonderful Roman ruins (and rail connections to Madrid) as you might wish to take a couple of days in Seville and nearby Italica.

PS I see you have adopted Costa Rica's slogan

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello fellow pilgrims!

I met a wonderful pilgrim last spring, and we'd like to do a short Camino next spring. My friend's schedule is limited to the last 2 weeks of May. We'd both like to spend some time in Seville, but I've heard that the Via de Plata is difficult due to limited services along the way and also the heat. Is it true that it's unbearably warm as early as mid-May? Also, how limited are the services? Does this mean no cafes or albergues for 20K at a stretch or just fewer than the Frances?

Thank you for any information you might be able to share.

:) Susan

Hi Susan, I walked the VdlP this year for 35 days starting 25 March in Seville.

Limited services? Yes. You need to assume most days that there will be zero services during the day. Obviously if you are passing through a town, you may find things open. But small villages, assume nothing. If you find something open treat it as a bonus. So plan to carry all your food and water for the day, unless you 'know' you will be able to top up somewhere.

Warm? Depends what you call warm. I was clear of the VdlP by mid-may, as I was on the Invierno by then. But mid to late April was mid to high 20s C by the hottest part of the day, that being 4-5 pm.
Pre dawn starts helped a lot. Mid May would be warm I think, but I'm sure someone who has walked mid-May will chime in.

Stages? Even though you didn't ask. I was able to keep below 25 kms / day. A couple of days were 27. But they were easy. Very flat with great walking surfaces.

Having said that, it is a wonderful route, if you like solitude, and big open landscapes.

Last edited:
Hi Sue We are planning to walk the start of April. Just missing the Easter festivals in Seville. The weather site predictes cooler temperaturs. I suggest you have a look at caminoweather.com to give somewhat of an idea as to the the temperatures and precipitation. Hope this helps?

When I left Seville on April 5 this year on the VdlP the temperature was around 30°C by midday but a week later I saw a report on the BBC website saying the temperature in Seville was 40°C.
I don't normally like the heat but I had been so depressed by the awful summer in the north of England this year that I flew to Lisbon in late September and was walking in 35°C and was so grateful to be walking in the warm sunshine that I didn't care that it would normally be too hot for me.
The normal stage on day 3 from Seville is 28 kms long, with no services. I did this bit on the same day after completing the normal second stage, a big mistake. The road is almost entirely straight and as I didn't want to finish with the big hill in the national park, I stayed on the road for the entire stretch. Mind numbingly boring!
I always carry a bit of emergency food with me but I don't remember going all day without passing some sort of services. If in doubt, check for petrol stations on the nearby road.
It's a lovely route and I'd rather walk it in the hot sunshine than the warm rain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi John,
Would you say that it was unusually hot for that time of year especially being early spring? We will have handsfree umbrellas just in case.
Regards
Sandra

Yeah, mid-May is going to be getting hot. When I was on the VldP this spring in March, daily highs were brushing up against 30°C. Here's some statistics on weather for a mid-May start from Sevilla.

And yes, services are limited. There was one stretch where I didn't pass anything for 36km, so that was fun. (After Casar de Cáceres, watch out for that one.) But the population density increases once you pass Zamora.

Hi John,
Would you say that it was unusually hot for that time of year especially being early spring? We will have handsfree umbrellas just in case.
Regards
Sandra
We started from Seville on April 24th this year and it was already very hot. Early morning pre dawn starts, lots of water and handsfree umbrella helped.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi John,
Regards
Sandra
Hi, I don't know if those high temperatures are common every year but the British media seems to highlight the temperature around Sevilla as evidence of how global warming is affecting southern Europe these days.
I started early each day and saw some amazing sunrises and had my head covered during the day. I carried plenty of food and water and I didn't have a problem.

Thanks John, thats good advice as we start early to try and avoid the heat of the day on our Caminos and this time will be with umbrellas for shade as well.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Robo,
Have you posted your stages? If so, I can’t find them. I’m trying to help a friend who wants to keep things in the low 20s and I thought your stages would be a good guide for her. Thanks, buen camino, Laurie

Not sure if I did Laurie, but here they are.
A couple of stages (indicated) required some 4 wheel assistance to keep the distance within capabilities

The Colour codes indicate the distance band.
Zero-Rest Day (yellow)
Under 15 kms (Green)
15-25 kms (Clear)
25 kms + (Red)

stages.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back