• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When will it cool down in Spain?

Ruth Sensenig

Ruthinak
Time of past OR future Camino
March/April 2018
I’m an Alaskan girl who’s most comfortable in 55-60 degree weather, and I have been excitedly planning my Camino for October-November, thinking that I would be able to stand the temps in Spain during those months. I’m currently in Ireland enjoying those very temps and having a great time, but I leave for SJPP in less than two weeks. My weather app keeps reporting temps in the high 80s for many of the Spanish cities along the Camino, and I’m starting to fear I’ve packed all wrong for this trip. This is probably just a rhetorical question, an airing of my fears, but when will it cool down?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When will it cool down? Sooner or later. Weather is in a bit of a mess lately compared to climate averages. It is still pretty warm along the Camino Frances according to current reports and forecasts from https://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/espana?k=cle&w=11
That said it’ll likely cool down though October. I note that night time temperatures are closer to seasonal averages 50f and below. A sleeping bag will be useful to those taking the Albergue option.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you have packed with the principle of layering lightweight items, then you should be properly equipped. In that case, I wouldn't abandon any layers since weather can change a lot over a month.
I have, but I’m afraid my lightest layer isn’t light enough! It’s a really thin merino wool that’s perfect for 60-degree days, but 70+ would be pretty uncomfortable.

I have, but I’m afraid my lightest layer isn’t light enough! It’s a really thin merino wool that’s perfect for 60-degree days, but 70+ would be pretty uncomfortable.
It’s unseasonably warm just now. That could change easily and rapidly. I wouldn’t be concerned by your predicament. I would aim to walk early in the day and be wrapped in the shade of a nice cool bar or cafe by early afternoon when the heat starts to matter. And merino doesn’t get stinky, rinses easy and dries in a trice.

Where I live mid 70s is just a good summertime. We get the graft done in the morning and the picnicking in the afternoon.

73f here, 10pm. Heaven. I’m sat by my pond with a bottle of Rioja and a happy dog. You’ll be fine. Or just go shopping for a short sleeve merino. A couple more ounces won’t break the straps on your pack Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
From Skagway (near Juneau) I'm on C. Frances right now, and the 25-30 highs for the day, seem to peak around 4-5pm. In any case, the direct sun (starting stage 8 or so), makes me feel like oven baked chicken from 11:30 am on. I wish I had my dessert umbrella!
Suggest: long sleeve woven shirt to let the breeze through. And sun out. Everything can be bought except large Wmn 16+ sizes. I've been doing shorter days, and when sections have been booked solid- waiting a day or busing around. Not my first choice, but it's a.personal choice.
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Heat dome in Spain and Portugal this weekend...then it sounds like it cools a bit (but it's been a very hot year, for sure!)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Dear Ruth, as usual the experience Forum Members have offered sensible (although humorous) advice.
Your Camino from St Jean to Santiago during the months you have advised will imho offer any range of weather conditions. It can snow in the mountains above St Jean at virtually any time of the year; Yes the Meseta (the high plain from Burgos to Leon) can have temperatures in the +30c (86F) degree range, but these can be overcome by starting early (say 30 mins after sunrise).
Note from Leon to O'Cebereiro you will encounter small mountains up to 1500m/4650ft so it should be more manageable.
By the time you reach O'Cebereiro you will be in Galicia the cooler weather should be with you.
As advised if necessary you can buy lighter clothing (there are 3 or 4 large cities on this Camino).
So my advise come prepared - a broad brim hat (not a baseball one), carry and drink two litres of water per day (that about 2 US quarts). Oh and just take your time, take a rest of 15-20 mins every two hours, more frequently on hotter days. So go forth and Buen Camino.

The Gulf Stream should be further south by then. The sea temp satellite maps show it still hitting the Spanish coast but starting to move south towards Africa. The cooler weather is to the north of it which is why the UK had such a terrible summer and southern Europe has heatwaves.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just impossible to tell. I'm arriving on 8th October and hopefully should be OK whether it is hot or cold. I find long sleeve light merino is bearable even in hot weather, as long as it is loose fitting. But I am throwing in a short sleeve top too.

This might be a consolation: I walked the Madrid route in 2018 at the end of September, temperatures still up into the high 30s (celsius). Some of my family were joining me in Leon to do the San Salvador and Primitivo and were excitedly watching the temperatures as spring was very slow in coming to New Zealand that year and they were sitting home in winter waiting to meet me in summer. The day they arrived the temp dropped to -2 overnight!!! They were not impressed. All that to say - it can change fast.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, the weather has been strange lately. Today we are expected to get to 31c, 11c more than “normal”. That said, it will cool down soon.. it changes fast.
I can confirm that. I'm in Fisterra and I just went out shopping and it's already up in the high 20's C.

But I have also walked the CF in oct-nov and have experienced anything from a sunny 35 degrees celsius to freezing snowstorm - also walking on the meseta fully covered and in addition wearing gloves, thermo underwear and facemask.

I’m an Alaskan girl who’s most comfortable in 55-60 degree weather, and I have been excitedly planning my Camino for October-November, thinking that I would be able to stand the temps in Spain during those months. I’m currently in Ireland enjoying those very temps and having a great time, but I leave for SJPP in less than two weeks. My weather app keeps reporting temps in the high 80s for many of the Spanish cities along the Camino, and I’m starting to fear I’ve packed all wrong for this trip. This is probably just a rhetorical question, an airing of my fears, but when will it cool down?
My phone shows temperature projections for 14 days out. For the cities of Pamplona, Burgos, and Leon, the high temperatures for days 10 through 14 from now are all below 70° for Sariya and Santiago 10 to 14 days from now are in the low 70s. By the time you get there however, they will be lower. You should be fine.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When will it cool down? Sooner or later. Weather is in a bit of a mess lately compared to climate averages. It is still pretty warm along the Camino Frances according to current reports and forecasts from https://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/espana?k=cle&w=11
That said it’ll likely cool down though October. I note that night time temperatures are closer to seasonal averages 50f and below. A sleeping bag will be useful to those taking the Albergue option.
I’m in Burgos now 9/30. It’s been from 47 to 53 degrees Fahrenheit in the morning the last 2 weeks. It can get to the 60s to 80s later in the afternoon. I wear shorts with a tee shirt and an 185 weight merino wool top. The top comes off late morning usually. I’ve been very comfortable. Hat in the morning to keep the bald head warm. Comes off for a while and back on when the suns eats get warm. Good luck. Buen Camino

I’m an Alaskan girl who’s most comfortable in 55-60 degree weather, and I have been excitedly planning my Camino for October-November, thinking that I would be able to stand the temps in Spain during those months.
So happy to hear from my Alaskan neighbours on this thread, asking the real questions! I'm planning my first Camino for end Sept through October 2024 and have been watching the weather real time from the Yukon. I have been a bit worried about those 30C highs!! Wishing you a cool breeze along the Way.

Layer… sports bra or tankini then thin merino wool, definitely shorts right now… it is starting to cool in the night and early morning, but yes still warm during the day

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi
I returned from Spain on the 23rd September .Walked for 8 days from Leon to O Cebreiro and went to Salamanca for a few days before returning home and found the weather in that period to be quite wet and cold compared to other years around the same time of year. Warmest I thought was about 24 degrees for a few hours 1 afternoon. Ideal for walking mind but not so great for the Salamanca break

Fellow Alaskan here. I'll be walking south from Pau, France in a week. 80sF there now but I will be carrying my trusty lightweight UV umbrella. Carry my own shade. Take off my hat when a cool breeze blows under the umbrella. Buen Camino

Just impossible to tell. I'm arriving on 8th October and hopefully should be OK whether it is hot or cold. I find long sleeve light merino is bearable even in hot weather, as long as it is loose fitting. But I am throwing in a short sleeve top too.
I’m having trouble finding a long sleeve lightweight loose fitting merino shirt. They all seem to be “base layers” (read: tight fitting). Any suggestions?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I’m having trouble finding a long sleeve lightweight loose fitting merino shirt. They all seem to be “base layers” (read: tight fitting). Any suggestions?
Mine are from Aldi, in a large size. I watch for when they come on sale. If you are looking online- try searching for "long sleeve T shirts" rather than base layers, and I'd also include the words "relaxed fit" or "loose". I found these - expensive, but you can see they are not tight. A few more came up too, from Australian manufacturers, but not sure where you are.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes in late July early August in the mid-afternoon. Here I am talking about actual direct sun temperatures. Yes temperatures over 50 are rare but not unusual. Cheers
Hottest temperature ever in Spain is 47.6 celsius, recorded just south of Cordoba in 2021. Temperatures over 50 C are, by definition, extremely unusual, in fact have never been recorded. We need to defer to reality.

You are in Ireland at the moment? Check out the outdoor shops in Dublin. Cheapest might be Decathlon. Others, long standing - Great Outdoors, Base Camp, Cotswold Outdoors, Outdoor Adventure Store, Ramblers Way. There are others. Incidentally, CaminoSociety Ireland has an indormation office in Dublin. Open at present Thursday till Saturday 10.30 till 3,30 and well worth a visit. Next Saturday you could be very lucky, first to meet me😁 as I am on duty, but also to sneak into a celebration following part 2 of a celebration walk from Bray to Dublin. It wil be followed by a fiesta. Check out the website. If you can't register, I will cede you my place...
You can forward packages via correos to Santiago if you have valuable but not useful on camino clothes that you paid good money for! They will keep them for you up to one month. Otherwise, you could post them home to Alaska from Ireland, but I have no idea as to cost.
A different note, relating to wool. I use merino wool socks hail rain or shine, once I need to wear socks at all. My experience is that they are far superior to any other material. That could translate to other items of clothing. Your call...

Hello! I am walking now and it is quite hot. That said, I also have a very light meeting will long sleeve too and it’s worked well, keeping the sun off and not too hot.

We were walking the Frances this time 5 years ago. Reading my diary it was incredibly hot every day ( high 30s) until after Sahagun on 10th October which is when we started to get chilly mornings, some rain, and cooler days.
I detest the heat and really struggled walking through those first 21 days but we would leave early before dawn to try and beat the hottest part of the day which was around 2 p.m. and I used my beloved Euroschirm hands-free umbrella as a sun shield which not only shaded me but enabled me to put away my hat and let my head cool down.
I also started to use Keens hiking sandals which were much cooler on my feet though my Merino socks gave me a nasty heat rash.
For the hot weather, I wore a singlet top with a lightweight loose-sleeved shirt for sun protection.

That is a good question. When? When we all change our lifestyle, we are all part of the cause/problem. Every year is warmer and warmer in all Spain. Today we have an historic record of 33 degrees in Hospital de Orbigo (Never in the history of this town) In October. At some point in the near future, the albergues will have to change the heater system for an air conditioning system. This year we have use our heaters for about two weeks in total season so far, in 2015 we used them for 6 months of the 8 months season.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hottest temperature ever in Spain is 47.6 celsius, recorded just south of Cordoba in 2021. Temperatures over 50 C are, by definition, extremely unusual, in fact have never been recorded. We need to defer to reality.
What? I can’t have poetic license? Cheers

I am walking the Kerry way today and I too will be finishing my Camino in Spain in couple of weeks. I am thinking if it is hot to leaving a bag at Ivar’s of the warmer weather gear. I will be walking the Ingles route so expecting rain more then heat. Buen Camino

You are in Ireland at the moment? Check out the outdoor shops in Dublin. Cheapest might be Decathlon. Others, long standing - Great Outdoors, Base Camp, Cotswold Outdoors, Outdoor Adventure Store, Ramblers Way. There are others. Incidentally, CaminoSociety Ireland has an indormation office in Dublin. Open at present Thursday till Saturday 10.30 till 3,30 and well worth a visit. Next Saturday you could be very lucky, first to meet me😁 as I am on duty, but also to sneak into a celebration following part 2 of a celebration walk from Bray to Dublin. It wil be followed by a fiesta. Check out the website. If you can't register, I will cede you my place...
Wow, that sounds fun! Had I known of it sooner…but I’ll be in Northern Ireland by Saturday to hear a music group perform in Belfast. Thanks so much for the invite, though. And I’m with you on wool socks. It’s all I wear back home even for ordinary life.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Impossible to know in advance, but there is a very lengthy heat wave in Europe which I think is global ,and to have been caused by a massive underwater volcanic eruption, and if so this unusually hot weather will last until about 2025, and so until the extra water vapor in the atmosphere comes down as rain.

In any case, this heat wave started in 2021, and seems to be continuing, with its own seasonality.

October-November should be OK though, they were last year.

But be prepared, bring a woollen jumper just in case, and rain kit will be a must for Galicia at the very least.

Thanks, all, for the advice, commiseration, etc. I’m sure things will all work out. The Camino will be a stretch for me mentally and physically and spiritually as it is, so the potential heat will just be one more challenge to help me rely on God as I walk.

Buen Camino to those of you out there now or soon.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mine are from Aldi, in a large size. I watch for when they come on sale. If you are looking online- try searching for "long sleeve T shirts" rather than base layers, and I'd also include the words "relaxed fit" or "loose". I found these - expensive, but you can see they are not tight. A few more came up too, from Australian manufacturers, but not sure where you are.
Looks like there are more options in Australia. I’m in the USA

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Impossible to know in advance, but there is a very lengthy heat wave in Europe which I think is global ,and to have been caused by a massive underwater volcanic eruption, and if so this unusually hot weather will last until about 2025, and so until the extra water vapor in the atmosphere comes down as rain.

I haven't heard anything about the underwater volcanos, but another factor contributing to hot weather is the solar cycle - usually about 11 years in which solar activity increases and decreases. The next solar maximum is predicted for July 2025.

My concerns as well! I am beginning Oc. 18. The best to both of us!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pack for whatever the weather is for the Camino at the time go there. If it gets colder buy a fleece pullover when you can on the Camino.
Not that big a deal. Nothing to stress about.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back