• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where can I buy permethrin spray in Holland?

Yellowfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto- Santiago / Fisterra- Muxia sept 2016
SJPP- Santiago may 2017planninh
I read the people spray their backpack en sleepingbag in with this spray. I cannot find in on the internet to buy it in Holland.
Does anyone know?
And is it wise to use this?
Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I read the people spray their backpack en sleepingbag in with this spray. I cannot find in on the internet to buy it in Holland.
Does anyone know?
And is it wise to use this?
Thanks!
It's not hard to find in stores like Bever or Kathmandu. Look for Anti-teek sprays or more generally for insectenwerend. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, if it's forbidden I'd say good for us ;). I'm bringing some essential oils that I believe are effective against the bed bugs and also some lemon/eucalyptus based repellents.

Well, if it's forbidden I'd say good for us ;). I'm bringing some essential oils that I believe are effective against the bed bugs and also some lemon/eucalyptus based repellents.
Hi there, how would you use the essential oils, i am terrified of these damn bedbugs and on the look out for a proven deterrent

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi there, how would you use the essential oils, i am terrified of these damn bedbugs and on the look out for a proven deterrent
Hi Alison,
I've been using essential oils (mixed with a base oil, like coconut or almond) as a body oil for a few months now. I also plan to use the oils (with water) as a spray, to spray on clothes, backpack, beds, etc.
I wouldn't spray poison in my stuff and in the bed I'm going to sleep, so that's why I prefer oils. All I can say is that I've seen the efficacy of oils on health treatments myself, but I don't want to say much more than that, since it's a very delicate topic and although I'm convinced that poison would work better (to kill bed bugs and other living organisms), I just prefer (and strongly believe in) the efficacy of some oils.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is no proof at all these will work. All they will do is add odours on the beds, forcing those around you to smell them, including those who will sleep on the same bedsheets the next day. Please don't.

There is no proof at all these will work. All they will do is add odours on the beds, forcing those around you to smell them, including those who will sleep on the same bedsheets the next day. Please don't.
I don't agree that "all they will do is add odours on the beds, forcing those around you to smell them, including those who will sleep on the same bedsheets the next day", but I totally get your point and I agree that I should be very cautious to not disturb other people. Thanks for the advice!

I don't agree that "all they will do is add odours on the beds
If only your disagreement with scientific fact could be used to make nuclear waste safe.... Why is it that people are prepared to rely on wishful thinking.

Making yourself and your bedding smell nice will not protect you from Bed Bugs, nor will it prevent you from becoming a vector and transporting the pestilential little sods from Albergue to Albergue. Please read the substantive information (and substantial argument :confused: ) here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/bed-bugs.119/

If you really can't find a 5% aqueous solution of Permethrin to treat your pack and equipment with in Holland please cross your nearest European border and buy some anywhere in the rest of the EU.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't recommend that anybody saturate something they sleep in or carry on their back all day with a poisonous chemical.
I sprayed my sleeping bag and liner back in 2015 - about a month before my camino. I have given it a repeat dose last week - about 2/3 months before I start on the trail. I think it said on the instructions to allow clothing/sleeping bag/backpacks etc to thoroughly dry / air completely before use.

I got my permethrin no problem (Life Systems Anti mosquito clothing spray) on amazon uk. Impossible to get in Ireland. But readily available in any chemist in France from my research. Also apparently in Spain but from vets!
I am awaiting less windy and wet Irish weather to spray on my pack, sleeping bag and liner. Apparently dangerous to cats and goldfish ( neither of which are anywhere near my home) because of chrysanthemum extract in it.

I am very allergic to any bites, even midges cause terrible swelling and infection so I have absolutely no hesitation In Taking every precaution to avoid. Roll on April!

on the look out for a proven deterrent
The term "proven" has a certain meaning in the scientific world. There are no proven deterrents to bedbugs.
I'm convinced that poison would work better
Of course! That's what the oils would presumably be to the bedbugs. It is a question of dosage! Those oils are "poisonous" to people who are allergic, and act as a deterrant to people who dislike the smell.

Permethrin is also poisonous in some doses and conditions. The scientific evidence suggests it is not harmful to people when used as directed, but it seems wise to minimize our exposure to such products. Everyone (including regulators) needs to balance risks and benefits.

@Alison Dougall if you want a proven preventative then ignore all the advice about "essential" oils. There is absolutely no evidence they deter bedbugs, none. They will kill the bedbugs if you pour the oil directly on the bedbug so that the oil actually smothers the bedbug!

I sprayed my sleeping bag and liner back in 2015 - about a month before my camino.

Where did you buy the spray St Mike ? The only product that I have found that uses Permethrin as an active ingredient is a flea wash for dogs . I'm certainly not shy of using products designed for domestic animals [ last time I looked I was a mammal ] but there is always the question of a safe dosage .

As regards essential oils , I have observed them to be fairly useless against insects . Once while camped for the night in a sand fly and mosquito infested swamp a woman from the bush walking party sharing the site literally smothered her tent and clothing with lavender oil. The smell was horrendous , so strong that at ten pm the three of us upped stumps and moved forty metres away to a horrible uncomfortable spot that at least didn't stink.
Next morning I woke to see the offender literally covered in bites and resembling a pink Dalmation .
'' I don't believe in chemicals '' she said as she packed to return home to take antihistamines.

'' I don't believe in chemicals '' she said as she packed to return home to take antihistamines.

Someone has to tell her they actually exist! =o_O=

I use normal insect repelent during the day (the ones they sell in pharmacies and supermarkets in Australia), reapply after shower and do bed checks before sleeping anywhere. Have been lucky until now. I'm not allergic to bites, but my nose blocks at the minimal perception of anything that smells too strong, natural or not, so I really appreciate when people talk to doctors or pharmacists to get what is appropriate for their trip instead of soaking in some product.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Actually @Anamya the use of insect repellent is not a bad idea. There is some good evidence that DEET insect repellant is a quite effective, particularly in higher concentrations, but of course it does smell. Permethrin, on the other hand, is completely odourless once it is dry. It is harmless if used properly - many brands of hiking clothes come pre-treated (Craghoppers Noslife, Ex-Officio Bugsaway) . In Australia camping and hiking shops sell a solution (Equip Debugger) to treat clothing and sleeping bags. Permethrin does kill bedbugs (if they are not resistant) in time, but that may be after they have bitten you.

A treated mosquito net might be effective.

Where did you buy the spray St Mike ? The only product that I have found that uses Permethrin as an active ingredient is a flea wash for dogs . I'm certainly not shy of using products designed for domestic animals [ last time I looked I was a mammal ] but there is always the question of a safe
A friend gave me her supply, I will have ask her!

If only your disagreement with scientific fact could be used to make nuclear waste safe.... Why is it that people are prepared to rely on wishful thinking.

Making yourself and your bedding smell nice will not protect you from Bed Bugs, nor will it prevent you from becoming a vector and transporting the pestilential little sods from Albergue to Albergue. Please read the substantive information (and substantial argument :confused: ) here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/bed-bugs.119/

If you really can't find a 5% aqueous solution of Permethrin to treat your pack and equipment with in Holland please cross your nearest European border and buy some anywhere in the rest of the EU.
My daughter and I are traveling from the states and will be spraying all of our gear with this spray befor we leave, as well as bringing a pretreated sleep sack. Do you recommend we bring a small bottle of it with us as well? If so, will we be able to purchase it near the beginning of the walk? We are hoping to pack our 45 liter bags small enough to carry on the plane, but I don't think they'll allow the bug spray?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Another word of caution - Permethrin resistance among bed bugs is on the rise, also in Europe. So, it might not be as effective as you want and by using it without knowing how correctly you could actually contribute to this problem. Regularly washing and drying your clothes (and sleeping bag!) plus taking care which albergue you stay in and where you put your backpack seems much safer then using chemicals. I spend a very unhappy (and unhealthy night) in a small dorm with a pilgrim that was so terrified of bed bugs that she sprayed her backpack in and outside several times that night ... Buen Camino, SY

PS The "you" in my post is not directed at anybody specifically - it is a general "you" ;-)

Hi YellowFriend,
A quick google search brought the the following result: Roxasect spray "bevat Permethrin en Tetramethrin". And not meant as a dog spray.
Get it here:
https://goo.gl/YCEjU6
Or e.g. at Kruidvat

My daughter and I are traveling from the states and will be spraying all of our gear with this spray befor we leave, as well as bringing a pretreated sleep sack. Do you recommend we bring a small bottle of it with us as well? If so, will we be able to purchase it near the beginning of the walk? We are hoping to pack our 45 liter bags small enough to carry on the plane, but I don't think they'll allow the bug spray?

If you have pre-treated your gear in an effective manner and exercise simple cautions such as checking for bug-sign before settling down for the night you are likely to enjoy a bug-free Camino. Various sprays are available in StJdP and Decathalon and other stores along the Way but are unlikely to be required.

Nothing guarantees a bug-free Camino yet that is what most people experience.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dear all I did the Camino last year 66 years old my back pack at the start was 14 kg with out water , as regards bed bugs stop being silly I took nothing there is no bed bugs , 90 per cent of hostels provides a disposable sheet about 1 euro, just go and enjoy the Camino and stop making hard work of it, I found if I had a problem there was always a fellow pilgrim to help , I completed it in 34 days and will do it again Buen Camino Dave adair

If you have pre-treated your gear in an effective manner and exercise simple cautions such as checking for bug-sign before settling down for the night you are likely to enjoy a bug-free Camino. Various sprays are available in StJdP and Decathalon and other stores along the Way but are unlikely to be required.

Nothing guarantees a bug-free Camino yet that is what most people experience.
Thank you so much! I'm not one to burry my head in the sand and think if I ignore problems they'll go away. I prefer to meet issues head on and will definitely pretreat everything :)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.