• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where did you walk ( locally ) in 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walk about three miles on most days on a portion of my flat local "rails to trails" and it's just a few blocks from home, so easy peasy. I don't post here often because it is quite nondescript, especially now, although it gets me outdoors walking.
In another week we will be on the sandy shores of the Gulf for two months and walking the white sandy beach and also the boardwalk and paved trails in the nearby state park as we have done for the past five years. This used to be my enthusiastic training ground for my spring caminos, but not sure if/when I will be allowed international flying in 2021.
IMG_20201227_125809445.jpgIMG_20201227_125814063.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here's a path I often walk. The other day I had a nice example of sharing the path...
  • Me, walking along in my thoughts, on the right half of the path
  • Cyclist 1 from behind: "Coming up, on your left"
  • Me: Hugging a bit more to my right, eyes still forward
  • Cyclist whizzes past: "There's 2 more guys behind me."
  • A second later, Cyclist 2 passes: "One more coming"
  • Another second, and Cyclist 3 goes by: "Thank you.
They must have to repeat their lines many times on an outing, but they sounded very happy to do so.

Attachments

• 20201224_131146.jpg
    20201224_131146.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 19
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would like to thank you Sabine, for this thread, and how you turn it over each year. it is complementary to the other thread, one day at a time.. or whatever. At the turn of a year, it is so good to have the luxury to reflect, to look back, to think back. How much more so, this year...
Today, I walked a routine walk. In the course of the walk, I engaged with a few people - no photos. However, there were meaningful exchanges. Meeting each other in these strange times is such a gift!
As we prepare to turn into 2021, let me greet each one who peeks into this thread: savour the moment! Keep sharing the beauty of your local walks. So many are such great treats, and signs of wonder. Thank you, in as many languages as you know!
Edit: I see @LesBrass is due original credits, so well done, both!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to thank you Sabine, for this thread, and how you turn it over each year. it is complementary to the other thread, one day at a time.. or whatever. At the turn of a year, it is so good to have the luxury to reflect, to look back, to think back. How much more so, this year...
Today, I walked a routine walk. In the course of the walk, I engaged with a few people - no photos. However, there were meaningful exchanges. Meeting each other in these strange times is such a gift!
As we prepare to turn into 2021, let me greet each one who peeks into this thread: savour the moment! Keep sharing the beauty of your local walks. So many are such great treats, and signs of wonder. Thank you, in as many languages as you know!
You said it Kirkie!!
And as Koidream said......we've walked the world through each other's eyes
I've loved each and every photo on this thread
So ......Thank you all and especially Sabine for having the "notion" in starting it
Happy new year to everyone and let's hope that next year will be a better one for the world ......
And seriously........can it get any worse??
Answers please this time next year!!

Some years ago I stitched together a long walk from a number of short ones. I called this my Thoreau Trail because it passed by a number a number of sites related to Henry David Thoreau's life. It is a good hike for city dwellers to take because they can take a commuter train up to Billerica from Boston and then walk to a train station on another line back to the city. Taking the train from Concord will save them about two hours walking over to the one in Lincoln (though missing Walden Pond). It is best to start in Billerica for a few other reasons I won't get into here.

Though in the Boston suburbs, only small portions of the trail are suburban streets and rural roads. Most are trails going though two state forests, a mostly forested town park, land owned by land trusts, town owned conservation lands, a national wildlife refuge and a national park, a town forest, a state park, a few private lands open to walkers and some other areas I haven't figured out what they are.

Enough with the trail promotion. If you live in the area and are interested send me a PM.

The year was ending and I'm another year older. I decided to challenge myself (alright, torture myself) with a long walk before the year was up even though winter is not the best time to do this. The warm spell and wind and rain on Christmas Day had removed the snow that had fallen a week earlier. Weather reports indicated that yesterday would be the best day for me. The day was sunny although the temperature was cold (up and down a couple of degrees on both sides of freezing) and there was a wind.

I decided to do the Thoreau Trail. The only other time I did the full walk was in my recommended direction so this time I decided to go in the opposite direction. Straight as the crow flies the distance between the two train stations is 20.34 km (12.64 miles). My wikiloc app said I walked 33.60 km (20.88 miles) and I took a bit over 8 hours to finish it.

So, on to the pictures. Concord has the most interesting sites. A map of the trail. At a Walden Pond beach; I had to look for a possible suicide ;). Walden Pond with two bright yellow floats showing where wet-suited swimmers are coming in. Near the site of Thoreau's cabin. An open part of the trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson's home. The old cemetery (c. 1636). At another cemetery, Sleepy Hollow, a memorial by Daniel Chester French commissioned by a brother to honor his three brothers who died in the Civil War. At the same cemetery Thoreau's grave, the little one on the left. Old North Bridge.

b2l-map.jpg PXL_20201229_135715524-01.jpeg PXL_20201229_135733669-01.jpeg PXL_20201229_141145038-01.jpeg PXL_20201229_144051461-01.jpeg PXL_20201229_145202161-01.jpeg PXL_20201229_150022851-01.jpeg PXL_20201229_151641901-01.jpeg PXL_20201229_152754284-01.jpeg PXL_20201229_154739089-01.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You said it Kirkie!!
And as Koidream said......we've walked the world through each other's eyes
I've loved each and every photo on this thread
So ......Thank you all and especially Sabine for having the "notion" in starting it
Happy new year to everyone and let's hope that next year will be a better one for the world ......
And seriously........can it get any worse??
Answers please this time next year!!

Cheers @Annette london but it was @LesBrass who started it in 2014 and from there on we grew and grew...

Or this one from 2012

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A last long walk in 2020, giving thanks to the places that have been essential to my well being during this past year. The trails of Pacific Spirit Park. The chickadees and sharing garden at Terra Nova Natural Reserve, Along the Fraser River, I found a beautiful brass button on the shore and watched an otter with it's fish lunch. A wonderful day to end the year.

Giving thanks as well to everyone for all the beautiful images and stories shared on this thread. Wishing all a warm peaceful New Year and hope for healing in our world.

spirit.jpgspirit path.jpgTerra1.jpgTerra2.jpgterra3.jpgbutton.jpgriver2.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, I still have two hours left in 2020. So I will post a few pics from the cold, barren, but beautiful New Year’s Eve walk along the Sangamon River, which none of you have ever heard of, but which has brought me great peace during this challenging year.

Attachments

• 0DEC98EC-9990-4F19-ADE1-B0B5E4BF24C4.jpeg
    0DEC98EC-9990-4F19-ADE1-B0B5E4BF24C4.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 6EE8DA8F-BE50-4E13-8418-3462859B0C21.jpeg
    6EE8DA8F-BE50-4E13-8418-3462859B0C21.jpeg
    626.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 686114F2-07F9-40AE-826C-648F0ACD393B.jpeg
    686114F2-07F9-40AE-826C-648F0ACD393B.jpeg
    539.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 8D0F3145-8272-41E8-A300-6E44615FC4FD.jpeg
    8D0F3145-8272-41E8-A300-6E44615FC4FD.jpeg
    580.9 KB · Views: 13
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back