Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Where is a good route for year end?

Jasica

Year of past OR future Camino
North Coast Camino - 30 Sep to 12 Oct
Planning to go for 39 days Epic Adventure
Possibly make it a yearly or alternate year pilgrimage.
i am looking at going for my Camino end Nov 2016 to Feb 2017. Can anyone suggest which is a appropriate route where whether is not too cold or hot?

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Hi and welcome to the forum @Jasica

No Camino in Spain will be too hot in winter, but if they are too cold really depends on which climate you are used to. The Camino Francés is certainly doable in winter, keep an eye on this list of open/closed albergues http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/ which is updated regularly.

Buen Camino, SY

Jasica

Thanks SY

Jasica

Singapore is summer all year round. So cold will be something that will need adjusting to. But on an average, can I know what will the temperature be like and will I need winter clothings? How about the shoe?

mspath

Veteran Member
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Jasica,

Although as SY notes above the Camino Frances is doable in winter it certainly can be cold!

Be sure to scan this recent Forum thread for posts/ links by many of us who have walked at this time to help you prepare a winter camino.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...forum-walking-this-dec-jan.42732/#post-437828

It is most important to be prepared and not take chances; walking in snow takes practice.

Happy research, stay safe and Buen camino!

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
CaminoSupply.com
Apparel and accessories for your Camino

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Singapore is summer all year round. So cold will be something that will need adjusting to. But on an average, can I know what will the temperature be like and will I need winter clothings? How about the shoe?

In Winter the Camino Francés ranges typically from up to 10C during the day (more in direct sunlight) to -5C (seeming colder when wind blows = chill factor). Lower temperatures can also happen! So yes, you will need clothes that allow your body to preserve its own heat - warm clothes in layers, a windbreaker/rain gear.

Buen Camino, SY

Kanga

Staff member
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
@Jasica as you are asking for advice on a route in Spain, between November and February, that is not too hot or too cold, it does sound as if you are a little unprepared. November is less than a month away.

For a first time Camino traveller at this time of year, I think the Camino Frances is likely to have the best infrastructure to support you.

Have you travelled before, to countries with cold winters, and mountains? If yes, then you will have some idea, but if not it is hard to imagine winter in Spain. It is very, very different to Singapore. Even in the south it is unbelievably cold. And the mountains dangerous if you are unprepared. It snows. There may be blizzards.

You will need proper winter clothes, thermal underwear and a good protective shell. Layering is the way to go, using material that wicks away moisture and does not chill the body - definitely not cotton. Technical fabrics or merino wool. Yes, you will need shoes or boots. Probably waterproof ones for this time of year.

We are all very happy to help so please ask specific questions.

Carlos Santiago

@Jasica

Have you travelled before, to countries with cold winters, and mountains? If yes, then you will have some idea, but if not it is hard to imagine winter in Spain. It is very, very different to Singapore. Even in the south it is unbelievably cold. And the mountains dangerous if you are unprepared. It snows. There may be blizzards.

My thoughts: I spent 2.5 weeks in Korea early winter last year. The temperature ranged from -7 to 11 degrees Celsius, averaging at 4 degrees when I was there. Coming from the tropics, I think I won't be able to perform 100% at temps below 8 degrees C and the wind (wind is vicious); especially under long exposures such as a long hike - everyday; and carrying the added weight of winter clothing and more food/fuel than normal. That is not yet counting the blizzards and moisture in clothing.
I can handle the walk. It is the - not being familiar with living (and surviving, I suppose) everyday in winter conditions - that bothers me in this aspect.
;)

Ultreya todos!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances