• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

where is good to start from with 63 year old mum?

Hello,

My boyfriend and his mum want to do a very short and easy 4 day walk to Santiago on the camino in August. They want to walk say 15-20 km a day. Where would be a good place for them to start? She will be flying into Santiago then getting a bus to the starting location.

Thanks in advance.

Jacqui

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Portomarin is about 80 km away. Palas de Rei is about 60 km. You can get to either by bus, though you may have to go to Sarria for a bus to Portomarin.

How about walking from Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia? It's supposed to be really beautiful, although I've never done it myself.

Buen Camino whatever option you take!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia
Stages are long with rare intermediate stopping points for lodging, food, or even beverage on the way to the Atlantic. Fellow pilgrims are likely to be the hardcore who wanted more after walking for over a month to Santiago. New pilgrims might find it hard to fit in, but you would get some great stories about what you missed, or why you should have done more.

On the other hand, in the last 100 km of the Camino Frances, new pilgrims are common, so they have a lot in common. It is the "real" Camino, so provides the most shared experiences, even for those who have not walked from France. Alternative caminos, with the possible exception of the Portugues, have many fewer pilgrims, and those pilgrims may be consciously trying to avoid pilgrims who are doing just a short pilgrimage. Do you want to walk with those who do not want to be walking with a lot of others? If so, consider the alternative routes. If you are less agoraphobic, stick to the Frances. If you really want to be alone and don't care about arriving in Santiago, go to France and walk the Via Tolosana, Via Lemovicensis, or Via Turonensis. You may go a whole week without meeting a pilgrim!

Thanking you very much for your help, his mum is very sociable and will want to talk to lots of other people about their experiences. i know their walk isn't long but it is just to give her a taste of the Camino and maybe next year they can do a longer walk together.

The walk to Fisterra is good, i have done part of it but not many people do it so there aren't many people to chat to on the way back.

Are Pilgrims really that annoyed about 'short walkers', surely it is the taking part that counts? I help Pilgrims every day finding their way around Santiago and I really don't care where they have walked from, they are here and found their moment and peace.

Saludos.

Jacqui

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Jacqui!

Portomarin is by the Rio Mino about 80-90 kms east of Santiago. It would be one of the good places to start, as Falcon says.

In all honesty I think there can be a bit of annoyance/snobbery...call it what you will about people walking shorter distances. It's partly down to tour groups who all get off a bus and walk together effectively blocking a single file track etc. There is a kind of 'Camino etiquette' about letting faster people walk through, which not everyone is aware of. Day backpacks and clean boots can be scoffed at. Any time I've seen it it's all been very light hearted but it exists.

On my last Camino I was only planning to walk from Pamplona to Burgos. I was called a 'quitter' by my Camino family before Burgos. As things turned out I didn't finish in Burgos and ended up walking to Santiago, at which point I became 'the quitter who even quit quitting'! You can't win! :D

Buen Camino!

Thank you, i can now see Portomarin on my map, it seems do-able and well done you from walking from Burgos to Santiago. I really want to go to Burgos and see the Catherdral.

I know what you mean about people in mini buses, i do see them from time to time in Santiago being dropped off near the centre, it's like, did you walk the camino or just drive here? what is the point of that?

Anyway, thanks for your help everyone, it's not about the stamps, just the walking. Nicks Mum saw The Way and was, like a lot of people very taken by it. She walked the Wall of China 4 years ago so this should be nada.

Bien Camino

Jacqui

Not sure when you last walked part of the Finasterre way , but we have found over the last fews years that this way and also Muxia is becoming very popular and accommodation in some towns is not guaranteed.
We always finish on the coast regardless of the camino walked "before" Santiago.
They will require 5 days at least for this and a return Jacqui,
Buen Camino ,
David

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I second the Muxia-Fisterra way but why not walk in reverse as many pilgrims who came by sea (into Ponte do Porto) have done in the past? You could walk from Muxia to Fisterra and then Santiago, or Fisterre Muxia Santiago. It is stunningly beautiful - the "real" Galicia (although I admit just a little bias!). There are plenty of places to stay now and although the Muxia to Fisterra has no albergue there are pensiones and some really nice rural lodges just off the Way (Casa de Trillo is one and is very pilgrim friendly) along the way.
The other one I would certain suggest is the Portuguese. From Tuy is delightful (except into O Porino - ugh!) and easy. Plenty of official refugios along the way too so very inexpensive, and far fewer crowds. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back