• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to buy an electric kettle

O

OutdoorNut

For health reasons, I need to be able to have a small electric kettle to boil water in wherever I go. Where can I buy one in Irun? I can’t bring mine from home, voltage is different.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you. Is China Bazaar a store?
Almost every town of any size will have one or more "Chino" stores usually called something like Asian Bazaar or China Bazaar, etc.. These stores have almost everything under the sun. You may have to ask the owner where to find an electric kettle or you could be lost for days in the aisles.

You can also find one at a hardware store called a ferretería.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For health reasons, I need to be able to have a small electric kettle to boil water in wherever I go. Where can I buy one in Irun? I can’t bring mine from home, voltage is different.
Depending on how much water you need to boil at a time the electric coil as an alternative to a kettle might be better.
We carried an electric coil heater, lighter and easier to pack than a kettle. Again a hardware store should have one or try Amazon and check it has 2 pin plug etc. On one occasion when we had a car we did buy a cheap kettle and found it had a plastic after taste.
As a container to boil the water we had a very light weight titanium mug 450ml (1 pint) size. They come in larger sizes too, the smaller ones (under 400ml) might not properly cover the coil causing it to burn out/fail.
As @trecile says there is a whole thread about the electric heater coils.....
Buen Camino

I buy the instant coffee con leche or capuccino mixes to get me started in case it is a long way to the first bar...
I have brought some of these on the Via Francigena and the Madrid Caminos in the last two years. We sometimes had our own apartment so chose to hang out a little longer in the mornings or there were no coffee options nearby. I was pleasantly surprised how much I actually enjoyed them, and that is saying a lot as I'm quite particular about my coffee.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have brought some of these on the Via Francigena and the Madrid Caminos in the last two years. We sometimes had our own apartment so chose to hang out a little longer in the mornings or there were no coffee options nearby. I was pleasantly surprised how much I actually enjoyed them, and that is saying a lot as I'm quite particular about my coffee.
They aren't as good as the real thing, but they are better than the plain old instant coffee (Nescafe, etc.). In a pinch an instant coffee mixed with an instant hot chocolate is also good. I also have a stash of instant "cup o soup" in case I get stuck somewhere without services or just need something in the afternoon. Not a lot of calories, but better than nothing.

This winter in Galicia when I had a group of students, we also bought a small pan to hard boil eggs or just boil water. We took turns carrying it attached to the pack with a carabiner. Worked well for the Xunta albergues until we came upon the one in O'Pedrouzo that was an induction cooktop that would not accept the cheap composition of metal in the pan...:(

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Would a coil heater for a mug do? Available from Amazon for 220 0r 110 volts. Very small for the backpack and legal for the flight.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.