• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to get bedbug spray in Lograno?

Ann Abfalter

Time of past OR future Camino
September, 2015
I was bit in the municipal albergue in Estella yesterday. Where can I get spray for my pack and what should I ask for in Spanish? Washing & drying all my clothes, but I can't wash the pack. Thanks for any help!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Where can I get spray for my pack and what should I ask for in Spanish?
Ask at the Tourist Office. They will speak English and should know the store your need. The office is near the traffic circle on the Camino leaving downtown.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Go to a Farmacia and ask for GOIBI spray

Be sure to mention to the hospitaleros that you were bitten so that they can deal with the problem before it becomes a bigger problem!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Bedbugs, time for gathering some facts.
Bed bugs feed on human blood, can hide in the smallest crack or crevice and can live over a year with no food. They are VERY hard to get rid of. They have not been shown to spread disease; but, their health effects include reaction to bites, loss of sleep, anxiety.
Bites – some people get itchy red welts, but 1 of 4 people younger than 65 and half of people older than 65 DO NOT react to bed bug bites. Clean or messy, bedbugs don’t discriminate. "We’ve had calls from residents in filthy places and calls from residents who live on Park Avenue with full-time housekeepers," says Janet Friedman of Bed Bug Busters, and "Don’t be fooled by clean albergues, hostals and hotels either".

1. Prevention (http://www.co.ramsey.mn.us/ph/id/traveler.htm)
Check-in Albergue: Put bags on a table top while you inspect.
Where to inspect: mattress, headboard, luggage rack, chairs. Look for live bugs, fecal spots and casts. WALK if you see signs!
DIY pesticides don’t work: Over the counter sprays kill bugs on contact. They only work if the spray touches the bug. During the last 50 years, bedbugs have largely become biologically resistant to the pesticides sold at your corner store, namely pyrethroids and pyrethrins. DDT targets the same site as pyrethroids do, shedding doubts on claims that lifting the EPA’s ban on this dangerous chemical would curb the current bedbug resurgence. Spraying pyrethroids or pyrethrins directly on a resistant bedbug at close range may in fact kill the pest, but there’s little chance of hitting each individual insect, as armies of the sesame-seed sized bugs hide in the teeniest crevices. Other Products that DO NOT WORK on bed bugs: DEET, Boric acid, Moth Balls, Kerosene. The only way to get rid of bed bugs seriously is to use a professional pest control company. Forget about DIY, there is little to no chance you will get rid of all the bed bugs.

2. Treatment
If you wake up with bites or find live bugs, report it right away. Look for a chance / place to take off ALL clothes and ask the hospitalero to wash all garments and belongings washed and dried right away; use the highest temperature the clothes can take. If a pest control pro is at hand, let him inspect/steam clean luggage.
Report the incidence on this forum a warn your fellow peregrinos.
Bed bug bites usually resolve on their own. Topical corticosteroids and oral antihistamines (available in local pharmacies) are often used to relieve the itching associated with the bites. If bit seriously, seek medical help. Don't panic...its not the end of the world.:D
(Sources: http://www.co.ramsey.mn.us/ph/id/bed_bugs.htm, http://www.racgp.org.au/afp/200911/200911doggett.pdf)
Btw: @LakeMcD: GOIBI spray containing 18% DEET, useless!

Don't take any chances, better be safe than sorry; PLEASE don't spread the bugs by ignoring them and take rigorous action (see above). Search for more on the internet, knowledge prevents.

Buen camino

I was bit in the municipal albergue in Estella yesterday. Where can I get spray for my pack and what should I ask for in Spanish? Washing & drying all my clothes, but I can't wash the pack. Thanks for any help!!!

you can spray your pack.

do you mean the municipal in town or the Muni Oncineda up the little hill edge of town.

Hi Pano, I must respectfully disagree with some of your info. While yes there are resistant strains of BBs, most are not resistant. Pyrethrins (permithrin) @ .5% works just fine for both treatment and prevention on BBs(and a whole array of other insects) While strains of BBs do show resistance, most die after exposure @ .5% after 24 hours, as do the eggs. This is both direct contact and secondary contact upon flushing(ie spraying your clothes, bag, etc) Higher concentrations of permithrin @.8% (which is a U.S. military standard) is even more effective against resistant strains and has a longer effective window(60 days v 45). Treatment @ 1.5% on the infested area(s)(matts, open cell flooring(wood, cement, etc) kills on contact and secondary contact and is exceptional in prevention for 60+ days. There simply is not a better alternative for the traveler at this time. While Albergues should treat with desiccants(including boric acid), IMO monthly.
Also, although not seen on the CDS yet, at least one study indicates BBs do transmit Chagas, which is deadly. While most believe that Chagas is a latin american problem, it has/is turning up in Europe and Africa.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Pano, I must respectfully disagree with some of your info. While yes there are resistant strains of BBs, most are not resistant. Pyrethrins (permithrin) @ .5% works just fine for both treatment and prevention on BBs(and a whole array of other insects) While strains of BBs do show resistance, most die after exposure @ .5% after 24 hours, as do the eggs. This is both direct contact and secondary contact upon flushing(ie spraying your clothes, bag, etc) Higher concentrations of permithrin @.8% (which is a U.S. military standard) is even more effective against resistant strains and has a longer effective window(60 days v 45). Treatment @ 1.5% on the infested area(s)(matts, open cell flooring(wood, cement, etc) kills on contact and secondary contact and is exceptional in prevention for 60+ days. There simply is not a better alternative for the traveler at this time. While Albergues should treat with desiccants(including boric acid), IMO monthly.
Also, although not seen on the CDS yet, at least one study indicates BBs do transmit Chagas, which is deadly. While most believe that Chagas is a latin american problem, it has/is turning up in Europe and Africa.
Thank you for your valuable information, Americanperegrino; I merely quoted eminent sources and am not able nor would I want to reason on this subject. I think that a peregrino is best served with the advise to keep eyes open for any signs and if in doubt, WALK.

This information is gleaned from the University of Sydney Dept of Medical entermology site and some of the links from that page.

The carbonates and organophosphates are the most effective chemicals but are usually only available to licensed pest controllers. They may kill you as well as the bugs. And they can damage fabrics, especially anything synthetic.

Sustained heat is an effective killer, it kills the bugs and the eggs. Temperatures over 55C. Throw your whole pack into a commercial hot air dryer (laundromat) on the highest setting for 30 minutes. A steamer or very hot hair dryer might also work but you have to ensure you get into every crevice and you could blow the bugs and eggs around spreading them further. A sauna if it is hot enough.

If that is not possible put your empty pack in an enclosed black plastic bag in direct hot sunlight for as long as possible - a good few hours - or anywhere else you can think of that will heat every bit of the pack. Ovens are not recommended - you might get rid of the bugs but you will probably melt your pack and burn down the house too!

Putting the pack in a deep freeze (a chest type - the ordinary refrigerator type probably won't be cold enough) will also work, but it needs a few days to get cold enough.

Other than that try pyrethrum - the easiest place to find it is a garden nursery store.

Bedbugs, time for gathering some facts.
Bed bugs feed on human blood, can hide in the smallest crack or crevice and can live over a year with no food. They are VERY hard to get rid of. They have not been shown to spread disease; but, their health effects include reaction to bites, loss of sleep, anxiety.
Bites – some people get itchy red welts, but 1 of 4 people younger than 65 and half of people older than 65 DO NOT react to bed bug bites. Clean or messy, bedbugs don’t discriminate. "We’ve had calls from residents in filthy places and calls from residents who live on Park Avenue with full-time housekeepers," says Janet Friedman of Bed Bug Busters, and "Don’t be fooled by clean albergues, hostals and hotels either".

1. Prevention (http://www.co.ramsey.mn.us/ph/id/traveler.htm)
Check-in Albergue: Put bags on a table top while you inspect.
Where to inspect: mattress, headboard, luggage rack, chairs. Look for live bugs, fecal spots and casts. WALK if you see signs!
DIY pesticides don’t work: Over the counter sprays kill bugs on contact. They only work if the spray touches the bug. During the last 50 years, bedbugs have largely become biologically resistant to the pesticides sold at your corner store, namely pyrethroids and pyrethrins. DDT targets the same site as pyrethroids do, shedding doubts on claims that lifting the EPA’s ban on this dangerous chemical would curb the current bedbug resurgence. Spraying pyrethroids or pyrethrins directly on a resistant bedbug at close range may in fact kill the pest, but there’s little chance of hitting each individual insect, as armies of the sesame-seed sized bugs hide in the teeniest crevices. Other Products that DO NOT WORK on bed bugs: DEET, Boric acid, Moth Balls, Kerosene. The only way to get rid of bed bugs seriously is to use a professional pest control company. Forget about DIY, there is little to no chance you will get rid of all the bed bugs.

2. Treatment
If you wake up with bites or find live bugs, report it right away. Look for a chance / place to take off ALL clothes and ask the hospitalero to wash all garments and belongings washed and dried right away; use the highest temperature the clothes can take. If a pest control pro is at hand, let him inspect/steam clean luggage.
Report the incidence on this forum a warn your fellow peregrinos.
Bed bug bites usually resolve on their own. Topical corticosteroids and oral antihistamines (available in local pharmacies) are often used to relieve the itching associated with the bites. If bit seriously, seek medical help. Don't panic...its not the end of the world.:D
(Sources: http://www.co.ramsey.mn.us/ph/id/bed_bugs.htm, http://www.racgp.org.au/afp/200911/200911doggett.pdf)
Btw: @LakeMcD: GOIBI spray containing 18% DEET, useless!

Don't take any chances, better be safe than sorry; PLEASE don't spread the bugs by ignoring them and take rigorous action (see above). Search for more on the internet, knowledge prevents.

Buen camino
Hi thanks for this information I hope all pilgrims take note and report immediately if they see a bug or wake up with bites.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I can't help you with advice but see that you've gotten plenty from other seasoned pilgrims. Wonder if you can let me know which albergue had the bedbugs, though? We're starting the Camino next week and trying to make a note of places with bedbugs. I'm still not that familiar with the way albergues are categorized in Brierly's book but there are several in Estella that have "Mun." after their names.
Thanks for helping out a new pilgrim!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Opps! I used the wrong word. I meant to say that the local government runs the mun (municipal) albergue. I didn't mean to imply to 'run' from them. They are usually quite good.

BTW, just to beat the BB subject to death. When I am in "bug country" (places where insects may want to eat me) I shampoo using Hartz Ultraguard flee and tick dog shampoow/oatmeal with .27% permithrin once a week. It does a couple things well. First, it kills anything living in my hair(flees, ticks, lice, BBs, etc). Second, it acts as a repellent for insects-so, they don't return to nest. Third, it keeps my hair looking good :)

On the CDS I will shampoo just before I fly to CDS, and once a week after that.

Bedbugs aren't like fleas.
They don't live in your hair or on your body.
They live in the mattress and bedstead and come out at night to feed on you.
Then they hide in tiny places like the seams of your clothing, shoes, and pack.
I really doubt flea shampoo will do anything except keep them from biting your head.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Annie, BIG fan of your site/walks. I hear what you're saying. Most 'studies' clinical and otherwise indicate that BBs don't like hair, or don't migrate onto the scalp, etc. They cite various reasons why such as BB lacks the arms to crawl/hold on to a hair follicle. While this may be accurate in the lab, and maybe in minor infestations, field experience shows otherwise. What you'll see are BBs 'bites' at the edge, and just inside the hairline, usually at the back of the head and pubic areas as well. Check out google images. While many images show actual Lice bits, you can see the tell tale BBs bits on the scalp as well. Those locations where BBs are a 'way of life' this is common. In these areas, the locals use a home brew shampoo mixing local soap with Permithrin/pyrethrins. It works just fine. Although, I believe they mix higher than .25%, so, I'll stick with my Hartz.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Most 'studies' clinical and otherwise indicate that BBs don't like hair, or don't migrate onto the scalp, etc. They cite various reasons why such as BB lacks the arms to crawl/hold on to a hair follicle.
I believe this, but would be interested in reading the source document. Can you give a link? (I tried some quick googling without sucess.) Thanks

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino. We found the albergues were all booked or closed after...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back