• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to restart?

Time of past OR future Camino
please see signature
BACKGROUND

On Thursday, 4May I pulled a bunch of muscles in my right leg. Walked about 30 km to Estella on Friday, rested four days and transferred to Logrono. Walked two days to Azofra and then transferred to Burgos. Rested one day and walked two days to Hornillos del Camino. Rested for five days.

Transferred to London for medical advice in English. Key advice is to keep moving. Done Thames Path from Windsor to Hammersmith. And currently near Reading having started at Thames Head last Saturday.

I am reasonably certain NOT to return to Spain this yrar. For one thing I suspect it will be too hot.

QUESTION

When I return next year should I return to:

a) Estella

B) Azofra

C) Hornillos

D) some where else

And why?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That is so difficult to answer. On the top of my head I would say Estella, but it really depends what you discover about this your pilgrimage in the months to come. I know that planning for the next camino can be vital for some of us but I also acknowledge that it takes time to plan the next step. So, after having given your question some thought I would say:
Wait with your decision until you feel 'the call' and then go for it.
Buen Camino ;-) SY

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
BACKGROUND

On Thursday, 4May I pulled a bunch of muscles in my right leg. Walked about 30 km to Estella on Friday, rested four days and transferred to Logrono. Walked two days to Azofra and then transferred to Burgos. Rested one day and walked two days to Hornillos del Camino. Rested for five days.

Transferred to London for medical advice in English. Key advice is to keep moving. Done Thames Path from Windsor to Hammersmith. And currently near Reading having started at Thames Head last Saturday.

I am reasonably certain NOT to return to Spain this yrar. For one thing I suspect it will be too hot.

QUESTION

When I return next year should I return to:

a) Estella

B) Azofra

C) Hornillos

D) some where else

And why?
Hi Alwyn, I think you are the only one to make this choice.
Listen to your hart and make your decision.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm sorry to read this, Alwyn--after all that planning.
The best laid plans of mice and men...
As others have said, only you can know what feels right, depending on your body, your intentions and preferences, the amount of time you have, and what your heart says.
That said, you've asked for our opinions, so here goes (knowing absolutely none of the above...):

If I were in your shoes, I'd restart in Estella, where the continuity of the walk first got broken. Lots of reasons for that, that main one being that connecting with the land and people along the way, continuously step by step, is a powerful and prayerful thing for me. After over a millennium of being trod upon the Camino has a voice--every note of which is worth hearing.
Ultreia and Buen Camino, wherever you decide to pick it up again!

I will add my vote for Estella. One, for continuity. Two, because it's a lovely little town with beautiful architecture and a lively promenade on the Plaza Mayor in the evenings. And three because there are super easy, regular, inexpensive, convenient bus connections from both Pamplona and Logroño, which are easy transit points from all major cities with airports.

If I may add an opinion based on experience: Shorter days (say, 20 kms) with hourly rest/stretch breaks go a long way towards preventing injuries. Take good care of your body, every step of the way!

Envisioning you back on the trail, walking towards Santiago...

Nancy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm sorry to hear this. I know that I missed the Meseta this year when I walked with my wife, and we discussed whether we would return together and do this at a time where she is less likely to be affected by the pollen, etc. I don't think she would, and I think it is time for me to consider a different route.

While the choice is clearly yours, the basic options you have described appear in a more general way to be:
  • restart from where you first took a break, including perhaps a sub-option to just fill in the gaps;
  • restart from where you last took a break;
  • start somewhere that is convenient logistically, eg with easy access by bus or train.
Noting that only in the case of restarting in the last 100km does the Pilgrim Office require you to restart at the point where you left the Camino, it appears that really you could treat you 'restart' as an entirely new pilgrimage, and choose your starting point without considering what is now water under the bridge.

You will know what feels right when the time comes. My first camino, I flew into Pamplona fully expecting to get a bus to Roncevalles the next morning. When I woke up I felt so strongly that it would be crazy to go backwards by bus, only to be passing through where I was in a few days time. So I set off from there.

Will you fly into Madrid or Bilbao? If so then a bus will get you to Burgos and you may find that you just want to start walking towards SdC when you get there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Kia ora tātou - greetings to you all and thanks for your observations and suggestions and reasoning (I'm eating a banana as I write).

The consensus last July was to restart from Estella. And that is what I will do late next Tuesday morning, 3 October 2017, after getting a sello, a sim card and a water bottle. That day, as always, I will walk as far as I feel comfortable, having had about 48 hours of continuous travel to get to the start line.

My journey is:
1) Depart Wellington at 21h15 (local) on Sunday, 1 October and arrive at Heathrow T2 at 15h40 (local), Monday, 2 October (30 hours).
2) Meal with whanau at Heathrow T5 and depart 19h20 (local) to arrive Madrid T4 at 22h45 (local).
3) Depart Mardrid T4 bus stop at 01h15 (local) on Tuesday, 3 October to arrive Logrono bus station at 05h00 (local)
4) Depart Logrono bus station at 07h45 (local) on Tuesday, 3 October to arrive Estella-Lizarra bus station at 08h49 (local)

My pack and sleeping bag (courtesy zPack), android tablet (Samsung), collapsible porridge bowl (Kathmandu), tops (merino) and shoes (New Balance 860, but latest model) are unchanged. I will have my 2 person tent (zPack - used for Thames Path and Southwark to Canterbury in 2016) from Estella, both in case of need in Spain and because of the two trips I currently intend to do in Scotland after arrival at Muxia / Fisterra. All other detail is new. Total weight, including water, tablet (with keyboard and cover) is about 8.5 kg and is what I have carried in my training trips this year.

Again, thank you for you support from long ago.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back