• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which language to learn?

Coreyna

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria-Santiago (May 2016)
Hi there,

My Mum and I are tentatively looking to walk from Sarria to Santiago in May next year. We had been going to do it on a tour but have decided to 'go for it' and be our own guides. We want to learn as much language as we possibly can but I'm unsure of what we should be learning. My Mum started on DuoLingo but it turns out that's Latin-American Spanish, I was doing European Spanish through Earworms but have just found out that in Galicia they primarily speak Galician which is actually closer to Portuguese. So now I'm not sure what to focus my attention on!

Any insight much appreciated, we want to be able to communicate at a basic level, and show respect for the people in the areas we are visiting.

Coreyna

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Any sort of Spanish will do, and in Galicia 99.99% of the people will speak Spanish. Have only ran into 1 old farmer on the primitivo who did not speak Spanish.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Text book Spanish from the US served me well. The main problem I had was learning how to listen to the different accents and pronunciations. People understood me fine. Good luck with your studies and I commend you for your desire to converse in the local language.

ig pay atin lay. ood gay or fay ecret say onversations cay.

The official language of Spain is Spanish or Castilian.
All Spanish people they know and speak it.
But knowing a few words of courtesy in other regional languages is polite and local appreciate it.
Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Learn three words in any language and you'll be fine: HELLO, PLEASE and THANK YOU. Buen Camino

Learn some Spanish phrases, Coreyna.
Yes, in Galicia they speak Gallego ... but almost all will also speak Spanish [Castiliano].
When I lived on the East coast, most spoke Valenciano, but understood my poor Spanish..... apart from one old lady, when I was desperate for the toilet while in a local chapel .... but that's another story!!!
Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I always start in Spanish with an apology that my spanish is very basic. But I always try and everyone is always helpful and understanding.
Like I already wrote in another thread : I always try to sit at a main square or plaza and start talking with the elderly ladies of the village. They also seem to be the ladies that sometimes hold the key to the local parish church.
I also remember a bar in Belorado on a sunday where the pensioners were playing cards and waiting for their fourth man. They asked me to join...Till today the spanish cardplay system stays a mystery to me...;) But the beer was splendid...:)

So Coreyna you will be fine!! Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Learning a language just for Sarria to Santiago is likely overkill, as English is sufficient, and usefulness of either Spanish or Gallego would be measured in hours rather than days.

Knowledge of Spanish hasn't been a Camino requirement likely since the late 90s, though it still was in the mid-90s, and is still extremely useful over more than the final 100K

It's obviously vital for more local immersion, but I'd say if you've any linguistic talents at all, picking some up as you go along will be the far better and possibly more immersive tactic :)

The basic Spanish phrases found in the front of the Brierley or similar guidebooks will get you by. Be sure to learn pronunciation, though.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I learned Spanish in Costa Rica and many Spaniards found my accent and vernacular pretty entertaining. You can't go wrong with Spanish, even simple exchanges demonstrate sensitivity toward our hosts while in Spain. Valenciano was fascinating to me because it was closer to Spanish than Catalan which I can understand but not speak. The most important thing for ME to remember when speaking Spanish is to go slow and enunciate. In turn, the folks with whom I converse will speak more slowly.
OK, more than you wanted to know I'm sure.

Any form of Spanish will be understood on the Camino, also in Galicia. Buen Camino! SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In Galicia, Spaniards will understand you but their accent is likely to be a challenge!I love talking with people from Seville with their pronounced "Th" sounds. Just lisp everything when in doubt! I also loved Salamanca as that is classic textbook Spanish and I could follow what people were saying. Three days later I was in Zamora and could hardly understand a thing purely due to their regional accent. I was lucky in that I walked a large part of my Camino with a bilingual Spaniard and a Frenchman, and the conversation often would turn to language use. I have a pretty good working knowledge of how to swear and some of the earthier expressions in Spanish which is handy when watching Spanish movies. I now know when the English translation has been cleaned up. Everybody has an accent so don't worry too much about it. And Duolingo was a godsend!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Mikel Olivares is the person who responded to this thread (post number 6.) He is from Navarra Spain.

I did the Duolingo course and walked St. Jean - Finisterra, and learning Spanish was the best decision I've made for my camino.

There's not much difference between Spanish Spanish and South American Spanish. It's a bit like the difference between English and American English, and maybe the differences are even smaller. The Spanish will understand you, and in my experience they will sincerely appreciate you making the effort to speak their language, and they're extremely patient and generally very warm, friendly and welcoming.

I did the Duolingo course never expecting much at all. But we just got there are started talking and having conversations in Spanish with the locals, and it worked. I didn't speak very 'smart' Spanish, I bet, made mistakes and my vocabulary was pretty poor, but they always understood me and I always understood them, and was also able to help fellow pilgrims, though spending very little effort daily learning the language. Don't worry, you'll do great! Don't be shy, just DARE, speak. You get so much more out of this wonderful experience speaking the language, even if your skills are pretty basic.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I knew a little Castilian Spanish, a bit Los Angeles Spanish :), and am still a bit conversant in Latin...and have the worst accent imaginable (in all languages, my Russian professor said I sounded Polish, and my Arabic tutor begged me to improve, not laughing when I'd reply in Arabic that my american accent might be the death of me. Still, I could usually make myself understood--even if resorting to writing out the word I was mangling. Everyone in Spain was very kind. When I stopped for a stamp at Santo Tomas de Ollas my stumbling was very evident. I asked if the church was still an active parish and was invited to return for Mass...the priest, obviously informed by the 'keeper of the keys' , gave the slowest, most basic word homily I heard in 3 months, glancing often to make sure I was keeping up. Brought tears to my eyes.

I learned a few words and phrases in Euskera from an app, then as I went along. People were happy to teach me, especially on the Basque part of the Norte.

Hi there,

My Mum and I are tentatively looking to walk from Sarria to Santiago in May next year. We had been going to do it on a tour but have decided to 'go for it' and be our own guides. We want to learn as much language as we possibly can but I'm unsure of what we should be learning. My Mum started on DuoLingo but it turns out that's Latin-American Spanish, I was doing European Spanish through Earworms but have just found out that in Galicia they primarily speak Galician which is actually closer to Portuguese. So now I'm not sure what to focus my attention on!

Any insight much appreciated, we want to be able to communicate at a basic level, and show respect for the people in the areas we are visiting.

Coreyna

Hello, Please and Thank you are all thats required.
You will have 100's walking with you for all nations of the world, there will be no problem and this section of the camino understand english very , very well indeed.

Text book Spanish from the US served me well. The main problem I had was learning how to listen to the different accents and pronunciations. People understood me fine. Good luck with your studies and I commend you for your desire to converse in the local language.

I had the same experience. I was always able to get my point across, but had a hard time understanding some people. Unfortunately for me, 25 years of aircraft maintenance and loud hobbies doesn't make it any easier.

As @Donna Sch mentioned, the Spanish (Castilian) spoken in Salamanca is most proper and easiest understand, at least in my experience.

You may also wish to at least learn some pleasantries in German. I meet so many great German people and was disappointed with myself that all I could remember was "guten Morgen" "Bitte" and "danke schön"

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back