• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which type of shoes in April

Michal David

Time of past OR future Camino
This year is mine first one. Starting at Astorga
Hi there. Anybody have advice what type of shoes shall I take for a 10 day walk in April. I have bought today a semi barefoot shoes ( similar to hiking shoes or trainers, not water proof but dry quickly...) and than realise that the temperatures are at around 15 degrees with 14 days of rain in April. Is that a good choice or shall I go back for a Leather walking boots?
Thanx
Michal

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very much a personal choice. I like the ankle support and waterproofing of leather boots. I don't mind a little extra weight there. Which ever you decide it is important to test them well before you begin. If you have made a bad choice then at least you have time to do something about it.

I will be wearing a suede and fabric waterproof ankle height boot in May. In the past I have worn all leather ankle height boots. They were slightly heavier than the ones I intend to wear this year, so it will be interesting to see how the lighter boot works for me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ah @dougfitz life is full of surprises. I suppose my inclination was always towards lighter shoes. My interest in long distance walking was first piqued by reading "Journey Through Europe" by John Hillaby. He was an extraordinary walker, and generally wore the lightest shoes he could - often sand shoes. He remains one of my all time favourite authors.
Hope the shoes fit and work well.

My interest in long distance walking was first piqued by reading "Journey Through Europe" by John Hillaby.

Me too. Last year I finally fulfilled an ambition to follow his example and walk from the North Sea to the Med. In my case from Calais to Tuscany (en route to Rome). I was thinking about him as I paddled on the shoreline.

Oh @Bradypus so good to meet another fan. I find his books the ultimate comfort in bad times. Just love them. They are out of print, but with the resurgence of pilgrimage and the numbers of people now walking the trails of Europe and other places, I'm sure they would do well if reprinted. Any book publishers out there?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have been walking in the Salomon Ultra GTX 2. As they need to be replaced after more tham 800km in them I looked at the Columbia Titanium Conspiracy as they are lighter. I don't get blisters from Gortex and prefer to know my feet will be dry, hence the Grotex.

I will be walking in April in Altra lone peak's running shoes, I ditched my gore Tex boots, gore Tex once wet does not dry fast it takes a long time besides I don't need the ankle support of a boot. But as everyone says it's you feet the best shoes/boots you can get is the one that fits. :)

Zzotte

I agree with @Bradypus that it is highly personal but for me, waterproof mid-high, lightweight boots but I suppose this really is also dependent on what you'll wear on your legs. If you don't have waterproof legs then waterproof boots just make for a nice holding area for the water that will surely run down your legs making your option of quick drying shoes or hiking sandals pretty smart! You didn't mention where you are walking and that would likely be important too. If you were walking over one of the high mountain passes it is not entirely out of the question that your rain will turn white. Waterproof boots with good grip would be well enjoyed then too!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I will be wearing a suede and fabric waterproof ankle height boot in May. In the past I have worn all leather ankle height boots. They were slightly heavier than the ones I intend to wear this year, so it will be interesting to see how the lighter boot works for me.
when are you going?

Oh @Bradypus They are out of print, but with the resurgence of pilgrimage and the numbers of people now walking the trails of Europe and other places, I'm sure they would do well if reprinted. Any book publishers out there?

I agree. Fortunately the internet makes tracking down second-hand copies so much easier than it used to be. At least for those of us who live on the top half of the globe ;) Being at heart a deeply lazy character I love being able to track down some obscure tome and have it posted to my door without lifting my backside out of my chair.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
what type of shoes shall I take for a 10 day walk in April

As @Bradypus, @Kanga and @dougfitz and others say, it comes down what fits and then to personal choice.

As to what fits. There is width, as well as length, to consider. And, to some extent, the ability for the upper to "mould" to the shape of ones foot.

For some, that can rule out shoes with leather uppers.

One brand of the type of shoes that @dougfitz (and others above) refers to does not mention width in its fitting guide.

So, @Michal David, good walking.

Very much a personal choice. I like the ankle support and waterproofing of leather boots. I don't mind a little extra weight there. Which ever you decide it is important to test them well before you begin. If you have made a bad choice then at least you have time to do something about it.
Thanx for reply. Yes I agree it is a personal choice.I just have to see how it feels.

I will be walking in April in Altra lone peak's running shoes, I ditched my gore Tex boots, gore Tex once wet does not dry fast it takes a long time besides I don't need the ankle support of a boot. But as everyone says it's you feet the best shoes/boots you can get is the one that fits. :)

Zzotte
Thanx excellent advice.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As @Bradypus, @Kanga and @dougfitz and others say, it comes down what fits and then to personal choice.

As to what fits. There is width, as well as length, to consider. And, to some extent, the ability for the upper to "mould" to the shape of ones foot.

For some, that can rule out shoes with leather uppers.

One brand of the type of shoes that @dougfitz (and others above) refers to does not mention width in its fitting guide.

So, @Michal David, good walking.
Thanx that is also to be considered. Good walking too.

I agree with @Bradypus that it is highly personal but for me, waterproof mid-high, lightweight boots but I suppose this really is also dependent on what you'll wear on your legs. If you don't have waterproof legs then waterproof boots just make for a nice holding area for the water that will surely run down your legs making your option of quick drying shoes or hiking sandals pretty smart! You didn't mention where you are walking and that would likely be important too. If you were walking over one of the high mountain passes it is not entirely out of the question that your rain will turn white. Waterproof boots with good grip would be well enjoyed then too!
Hi there. I would be doing last 200 km from Astorga to Santiago so no huge mountain passes. I think I be fine with more water repellent shoes. I take my water proof trouser. I'm bit of barefoot freak so I'm looking on the Vivo Barefoot Hiker shoes as they have both (water repellence and thin sole).

I have been walking in the Salomon Ultra GTX 2. As they need to be replaced after more tham 800km in them I looked at the Columbia Titanium Conspiracy as they are lighter. I don't get blisters from Gortex and prefer to know my feet will be dry, hence the Grotex.
Hi. I have sort of same preference plus I become convert to the Barefoot shoes last year. However didn't do mayor walk like this. I Had bought a Marrell Bare Access Trail shoes as the store assistant had good experience with them (walk over 1000km in Norway).They are ultra breathable (semi barefoot) but no water repellency unfortunately. I will consider the Vivo Barefoot Hiker for this years. Good walking to you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I found this confusing, because I didn't mention a brand in my post, and not referring to the specific brand here doesn't help someone who might need to know. There are many brands that do not supply footwear with different widths in particular last styles, but often have different styles of last to cater for different foot widths. See here for the range of Scarpa last styles. Other manufacturers, such as Keen, have a limited number of last widths (regular and wide) while makers like Asics offer up to four widths (standard, 2E, 4E and B).

I know that I have to choose one of the wider fitting Scarpa last styles, the Keen wide fitting or the Asics 4E - certainly these are less commonly available here in Australia than regular widths.

Hi. I have sort of same preference plus I become convert to the Barefoot shoes last year. However didn't do mayor walk like this. I Had bought a Marrell Bare Access Trail shoes as the store assistant had good experience with them (walk over 1000km in Norway).They are ultra breathable (semi barefoot) but no water repellency unfortunately. I will consider the Vivo Barefoot Hiker for this years. Good walking to you
Don't get me wrong, I had no idea what a "barefoot shoe" is, just told you what I have worn and liked. Googling "barefoot shoes" I can already feel the pain, but that is because I have flat feet and suffer from plantear fasciitis, so I need cushioning. But this being said, in my experience, unless you have special needs feet or ankles, you do not need heavy, high boot. After all, I've walked in Crocs sandals on the CF for days.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I found this confusing, because I didn't mention a brand in my post, and not referring to the specific brand here doesn't help someone who might need to know.

@dougfitz, you didn't but someone else did. I am sorry if I have caused you any difficulty. If so, it was unintended.

Because of my specific need (which others may also have but don't know it) I have researched shoes on the market in this part of the world. I also started a post last month on (extra) wide fittings to see if there was something I should consider.

The original post from @Michal David asked "Which type of shoe in April?" Width seems an important consideration in any month.

It may be interesting, if someone could do the field survey, to find the causes of blisters that many suffer.

Last edited:
Hi there. I would be doing last 200 km from Astorga to Santiago so no huge mountain passes. I think I be fine with more water repellent shoes. I take my water proof trouser. I'm bit of barefoot freak so I'm looking on the Vivo Barefoot Hiker shoes as they have both (water repellence and thin sole).
Hi @Michal David - you will enjoy that route! But you are actually going over a couple of the highest parts of the Camino; Cruz de Ferro/Alto de Cerezales and O Cebriero/Alto de Poio. In recent posts in this forum about weather in April/May I recall others mentioning snow at these points during May. Good luck with whichever way you ultimately decide! Jordon.

Never mind the shoes, you will reach the Cruz de Fero and wonder what all the fuzz is about as you get there in an instant in the pre cafe am walk.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back