• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why walk the Camino

dswanoski

Time of past OR future Camino
None - doing research for a paper
I am writing a paper about pilgrimage and wanting to get a feel for the reason(s) people are walking the Camino. Whether they are religious, secular, athletic, to get away from it all, for healing.... whatever the reason.
Thank you and good luck!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
you may have to ask again when I am actually on the Camino. But I feel called. It goes back years, reading of solitary pilgrimages, and feeling like there is part of me I have not met yet.

Having been in Europe 40 years ago, I have missed the intensity that comes from being immersed in another culture and language. I knew this moment would come and, intermittently, a possibility would occur for a trek through Thailand, or Peru or France. But as interesting as they all were, it was not their, or my, time. The burning started a couple of years ago, but a booming business, the feeling I COULDN'T take this much time away, made me not listen closely.
and then suddenly it was time, and I (??) have made it work. I have always reached a deeper place in me when hiking, not because I find God in nature, but because I can better let go of the me that is attached to the job, patients, family, thoughts. And letting go of all this, frees the spiritual me (the God in me if it won't offend anyone). I look forward to more days of having that liberation to see the God in me, the God in the world and the God in the other people on my way.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It would be easy to simply say 'religious' and leave it at that, but its more complicated. My faith is certainly a huge part of it, yet God is everywhere and there are places like Rome that I could return to and see more apostles. I jokingly tell people that it is a mid-life crisis activity and much cheaper than a Corvette...probably true, but also not really sufficient.

If I had to give a still somewhat inadequate summary, it would be this:

We get locked into our daily routines. They often aren't bad--in fact, I consider myself very blessed for the many people and opportunities in my life. But it is easy to lose perspective: on life, ministry, job, friends and family...even God. I am walking to find that perspective, to see things in a new way. I hope to leave everything behind for six weeks so that God can have my complete attention, leading me to new people and experiences that shed new light on the blessings I already have, so that I can return with gratitude and be a better version of myself.

Ultreya,

-Jason

P.S. Your best research would be to try it yourself and see what your own reasons are.

I was born to walk... from the search and rescue in the local woods that I sparked as a toddler, over mountains and valleys around the world to last years Camino Francés. It's what brings me the most peace and perspective and a sense of where I belong in this world. It is my meditation.

Pilgrimage - now there's a word which will spark a lively conversation.

Pilgrimage - for me o_O - is a long ritual and reverential journey with intent undertaken either cross-country or along an established route to a destination of sacred or venerable meaning. It is usually a journey which is also impossible to accomplish without the assistance of others and one that at times demands commitment and surrender to complete. Whether that can be classified as a religious intent is not for me to label. Regardless, each of my journeys have been deeply spiritual and significant and often life changing and each of the destinations have been a place of sanctity and remembrance.

Last year's Camino had been calling me for many, many years. Primarily I walked to enable a long time friend to realise her dream but that was only part of the reason. One thread only in the tapestry of the journey. You could say that I walked for all the reasons that you've listed but that each one held its own spiritual component so that, for me, it was a sacred journey.

Enjoy your research! Warning: you never know where it may lead ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've spent my life wandering and had many adventures. I have never been a religious person and have always had a C'est la Vie ! attitude but i do seem to have an uncontrollable 'inner pilgrim' that leads me to strange places. Take the Camino for example..I spent months planning a relaxing beach fortnight in Sicily due to a stressful few years. I spotted an advert for a Camino guidebook and a day later my flights and a bed in an albergue in St Jean were booked, (I only have 12 days so chose Logrono as my finish line and to continue from next year). I have no idea what to expect but i always trust my instincts. Most of my long term friends have been from these unplanned trips.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My wife and me walk because we love nature, history and culture...

I find pilgrims, great, good, bad and indifferent, fascinating.
I have yet to have disproved my assertion that every, repeat every, pilgrim has an interesting story to tell.
Regards
Gerard

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi dswanoski! Welcome to the forum!

I am writing a paper about pilgrimage and wanting to get a feel for the reason(s) people are walking the Camino. Whether they are religious, secular, athletic, to get away from it all, for healing.... whatever the reason.

How about walking the camino (whatever camino you mean) yourself getting first-hand info from the pilgrims you meet along the route?

Thank you and good luck!
Hi, I am with Falcon. Why not. :cool::D
Wish you well, Peter.

Don't know. Maybe I'll figure that out on my next one (third).
Thank you for your honesty! I admire that you are out there doing it. You have given me another insight that perhaps there are others who are walking to try to figure things out.
Good Luck and thank you for responding.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Because I needed to go someplace and lose myself for while. When I learned that I could walk, and walk, and walk on the Way and have a bed and hot shower at the end of the day, I was sold. Somewhere along the Way, and since I've been back home, something has changed in me. Now I want to go back and walk as 'a pilgrim.'

you may have to ask again when I am actually on the Camino. But I feel called. It goes back years, reading of solitary pilgrimages, and feeling like there is part of me I have not met yet.

Having been in Europe 40 years ago, I have missed the intensity that comes from being immersed in another culture and language. I knew this moment would come and, intermittently, a possibility would occur for a trek through Thailand, or Peru or France. But as interesting as they all were, it was not their, or my, time. The burning started a couple of years ago, but a booming business, the feeling I COULDN'T take this much time away, made me not listen closely.
and then suddenly it was time, and I (??) have made it work. I have always reached a deeper place in me when hiking, not because I find God in nature, but because I can better let go of the me that is attached to the job, patients, family, thoughts. And letting go of all this, frees the spiritual me (the God in me if it won't offend anyone). I look forward to more days of having that liberation to see the God in me, the God in the world and the God in the other people on my way.

I really appreciate your open response. I admire that you have made this work. This paper has made me think about how life just takes over and before we know it is bypassing us. We DO have a choice, but we have to make it for ourselves. I have traveled quite a bit, but have not done it with the intentional purpose of a pilgrimage. I am learning that intentionality is what differentiates pilgrimage from just hiking and travel. That and being open to the experience and the spirit within. The burning call confirms the Spirit at work within us. Good Luck to you as you walk and listen with the ears of your heart to what the Spirit is saying to you.

Because I needed to go someplace and lose myself for while. When I learned that I could walk, and walk, and walk on the Way and have a bed and hot shower at the end of the day, I was sold. Somewhere along the Way, and since I've been back home, something has changed in me. Now I want to go back and walk as 'a pilgrim.'

Thank you for responding. It is good to know there are places that we can just go to and be while we figure things out. I would love to know what or how things changed in you or in what way you feel different. I am finding that we should all take time away from our daily lives to really find out who we are and what we are meant to be. I hope that you are able to keep the experience close as you are in your regular life again and are able to return and walk as a pilgrim again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It would be easy to simply say 'religious' and leave it at that, but its more complicated. My faith is certainly a huge part of it, yet God is everywhere and there are places like Rome that I could return to and see more apostles. I jokingly tell people that it is a mid-life crisis activity and much cheaper than a Corvette...probably true, but also not really sufficient.

If I had to give a still somewhat inadequate summary, it would be this:

We get locked into our daily routines. They often aren't bad--in fact, I consider myself very blessed for the many people and opportunities in my life. But it is easy to lose perspective: on life, ministry, job, friends and family...even God. I am walking to find that perspective, to see things in a new way. I hope to leave everything behind for six weeks so that God can have my complete attention, leading me to new people and experiences that shed new light on the blessings I already have, so that I can return with gratitude and be a better version of myself.

Ultreya,

-Jason

P.S. Your best research would be to try it yourself and see what your own reasons are.

Thank you Jason, for your very eloquent response. I agree that as we get locked into our daily routines, we lose sight of or just don't take time to nurture our spirituality. It is ironic, because spiritual matters are just what we should be most concerned with in order to live the life we are meant to live. It is easy to be complacent and just flow through with life, I admire your commitment to leaving yourself open to possibilities for new perspective and connection with the holy. You are absolutely right that the best research would be to try it myself! I will take your words to heart! Blessings on your journey.

I was born to walk... from the search and rescue in the local woods that I sparked as a toddler, over mountains and valleys around the world to last years Camino Francés. It's what brings me the most peace and perspective and a sense of where I belong in this world. It is my meditation.

Pilgrimage - now there's a word which will spark a lively conversation.

Pilgrimage - for me o_O - is a long ritual and reverential journey with intent undertaken either cross-country or along an established route to a destination of sacred or venerable meaning. It is usually a journey which is also impossible to accomplish without the assistance of others and one that at times demands commitment and surrender to complete. Whether that can be classified as a religious intent is not for me to label. Regardless, each of my journeys have been deeply spiritual and significant and often life changing and each of the destinations have been a place of sanctity and remembrance.

Last year's Camino had been calling me for many, many years. Primarily I walked to enable a long time friend to realise her dream but that was only part of the reason. One thread only in the tapestry of the journey. You could say that I walked for all the reasons that you've listed but that each one held its own spiritual component so that, for me, it was a sacred journey.

Enjoy your research! Warning: you never know where it may lead ;)

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. I have traveled quite a bit, but realize that the difference between travel and pilgrimage is exactly what you said - intent. Intent and leaving yourself open to the sacred within the experience. I am a planner who doesn't usually leave things to chance, but realize that we must become vulnerable at times in order to receive the sacred. Thank you for your perspective on the importance of intentionality, surrender, and commitment. I think I need to listen to the voice of my heart and be open to what it says to me. Wishing you many more sacred journeys!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've spent my life wandering and had many adventures. I have never been a religious person and have always had a C'est la Vie ! attitude but i do seem to have an uncontrollable 'inner pilgrim' that leads me to strange places. Take the Camino for example..I spent months planning a relaxing beach fortnight in Sicily due to a stressful few years. I spotted an advert for a Camino guidebook and a day later my flights and a bed in an albergue in St Jean were booked, (I only have 12 days so chose Logrono as my finish line and to continue from next year). I have no idea what to expect but i always trust my instincts. Most of my long term friends have been from these unplanned trips.

Thank you for your response. I admire your C'est la Vie attitude. I strive to be more spontaneous. I also admire your leaving yourself open to new experiences. I think there is a spirituality in trusting yourself and your instinct. I can see why your long term friends have been from trips such as these, as they are kindred spirits! Wishing you good travels.

I'm walking to lose weight and because I like to travel. No religious or spiritual reasons.
Thank you for responding to my question. I appreciate it. What a great way to lose weight! I would take the Camino over a gym any day. Good Luck!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My wife and me walk because we love nature, history and culture...

Thank you for your response. Those are great reasons to walk the Camino. I admire your commitment to such a long trail. My husband and I love nature, history and culture as well. We haven't attempted anything that large (yet!) In August we are doing some walking in Scotland and taking trains between hikes - kind of sightseeing along with hiking :) It is a dream of mine to do the Mt. Blanc tour but we'll need to do it before we get too old or can't. Perhaps we should also consider the Camino. Happy Travels!

What is the title of the paper? You are asking a rather personal question here, so perhaps it would be a good idea to tell as something about yourself and your project first?
Buen Camino, SY
Hi SYates,
Sure! I should have clarified more in the first place. I am a non-traditional student at a midwest small private college pursing my bachelor's degree in Humanities with a concentration in Religious Studies. Over the summer I am doing some traveling which made it difficult to take summer classes. I am instead taking an independent study class in which I am to write a research paper on Pilgrimage. I have been exploring many aspects of pilgrimage including history of, various types, the pilgrim experience, etc. My faculty advisor is going to the Camino this fall for sabbatical and suggested this forum to get a feel of why pilgrims walk the Camino. I haven't quite decided on the title yet, but am exploring parallels between traditional pilgrimage and other venues that may off spiritual experiences.

I find pilgrims, great, good, bad and indifferent, fascinating.
I have yet to have disproved my assertion that every, repeat every, pilgrim has an interesting story to tell.
Regards
Gerard

Thank you for the response, Gerard. It sounds like the Camino is representative of the wonderful diversity of humankind. Each person has their own reason for being there and each person has made a commitment to pursue whatever the Camino may offer them. Perhaps there is something about anonymity and the repetitive nature of the Camino that invites pilgrims to open up as well as lend an ear.
I'll bet you have a interesting story of your own!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi dswanoski! Welcome to the forum!

How about walking the camino (whatever camino you mean) yourself getting first-hand info from the pilgrims you meet along the route?
That would be the best idea, unfortunately my paper is due the first week of August. My faculty adviser suggested this forum as a tool to get a "pulse" on pilgrims that are walking. For my paper I am also considering if aspects of pilgrimage like dedication, commitment, openness, spirituality, perseverance, and vulnerability are achieved in other venues, such as travel or long distance running, and could also be considered pilgrimages.

For my paper I am also considering if aspects of pilgrimage like dedication, commitment, openness, spirituality, perseverance, and vulnerability are achieved in other venues, such as travel or long distance running, and could also be considered pilgrimages.

Food for thought: not everyone with fever has the same illness.

How true! I imagine that there are probably nearly as many reasons for walking as there are people walking.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For me too, weight loss figures highly (and why not! - when else do we have some time to totally devote to our health, mental and physical?). Also time out, simplicity, freedom to take each day as it comes without having to plan everything. Being part of a 'movement': a physical stream of humanity, an historical movement and a present day community. Nature, sunshine, historical towns, views. Food, wine. More wine. Practising Spanish. Meeting lovely people. And one amazing bonus I discovered afterwards - being able to touch a globe of the world with our hands, see our route, and physically 'know' in our body how big the planet is.

One other thing I observed - quite a few people seem to do it to draw a line under something bad that happened, such as addiction, bereavement, divorce, job problems etc.

For me too, weight loss figures highly (and why not! - when else do we have some time to totally devote to our health, mental and physical?). Also time out, simplicity, freedom to take each day as it comes without having to plan everything. Being part of a 'movement': a physical stream of humanity, an historical movement and a present day community. Nature, sunshine, historical towns, views. Food, wine. More wine. Practising Spanish. Meeting lovely people. And one amazing bonus I discovered afterwards - being able to touch a globe of the world with our hands, see our route, and physically 'know' in our body how big the planet is.

notion900, I can't think of a better way and place to lose weight. practice Spanish, and unwind! I like your comment about seeking simplicity. Walking the Camino is such a historical trek that seems to presently be more sought after than ever. For my paper I am trying to determine if pilgrims today are walking for the same reasons as they were long ago when it was primarily a religious pilgrimage. I am finding that people are walking for a wide variety of reasons, many, as you noticed, to work out times of transition in their lives. Thank you for sharing your insight and beautiful reflection.

On the Camino you do feel very close to the pilgrims of old, here is a photo of a hostel where you sleep in the same room as medieval pilgrims. I loved that I hung my socks on the same beam that they did.
P1000126.JPG
I think one major difference is that there was a big sense of penance in the past. People lugged stones to help build the cathedral, because they felt it was an absolution for sins. But I think they enjoyed themselves as well.

On the Camino you do feel very close to the pilgrims of old, here is a photo of a hostel where you sleep in the same room as medieval pilgrims. I loved that I hung my socks on the same beam that they did.
View attachment 27407
I think one major difference is that there was a big sense of penance in the past. People lugged stones to help build the cathedral, because they felt it was an absolution for sins. But I think they enjoyed themselves as well.

Thank you for the picture, what a connection between medieval and modern pilgrims! I can't imagine lugging stones along.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
View attachment 27407

Is it the Trinidad de Arre albergue just before Pamplona. Stayed there about a month ago and loved both the atmosphere, the buildings, and the man who took care of us!

I, too, have always enjoyed staying there the past 11 years. What exhausted pleasure it is to cross that ancient stone foot bridge and FINALLY reach the albergue at Trinidad de Arre. The Marist father who greets pilgrims is always gracious offering a most refreshing glass of cold water as he stamps Credencìals.

Sitting alone for much of the afternoon drinking tea in the simple timeless monastery garden while wondering how all might have been during past decades, watching the shadows lengthen and the first stars appear, I am ever thankful to be at peace in such a pleasant simple spot.
...May it always be so.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back