• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why we walk the Camino

Kialoa3

It has been just a year ago that my wife and I walked from SJPP to Santiago and then on to Finisterre and Muxia. It was strange how the journey came to be. First an unexpected leave from my job, then some money arrived that I had not expected, and the next thing I knew I was booking airfares to Paris and train tickets to St. Jean. I was wondering how others initially found and walked the Camino. My personal point of view is that there are no accidental pilgrims, but that's just me. How about you?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Here are my reasons why.

Fulfilling a dream held since university days, at 65 I first set out in 2004.
I, too, wanted to experience what so many had done across time and to see what had been built along the way while pondering the myths and ghosts of history. As most pilgrims do I discovered this endeavor to be hardly a walk in the park, but a unique mix of contemporary mundane chance and historic legend. When exhausted for courage I would remember one of the timeless adages associated with the Camino, "if a pilgrim makes it to the city of Burgos, he can make it to Santiago!" With time walking on an empty path while hearing only the distinctive crunch of my boots became a true pleasure.

Kindnesses of strangers along the way offering smiles, water, conversation, help and hospitality were a constant support. After walking two months when I first arrived at Santiago de Compostela in 2004 seeing at last the great cathedral, touching the hallowed stones, and weeping with joy as the great bells tolled were special thrills. Overwhelmed with emotion I silently gave thanks for all that had passed. Later when sorting memories and souvenirs, I slowly began to realize that my mind and heart had been deeply changed by this journey. Thus, I decided to try to return.

And so I have, six times.
Each Camino has begun with both anticipation and trepidation. As always I wonder how it all will go. My reasons include non-traditional spiritual ones giving thanks for each day lived and for my life which enables such a journey. Walking alone day after day I ponder varied aspects of the thousand-year history of this beloved route as well as recall several quotations which help define my personal creed. "But as for me, I will walk in mine integrity..." "I will walk in liberty for I seek thy precepts." Psalm 26:11 and 119:45 "No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path." Buddha

For those who ask why another Camino?
One answer is "le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing." Pascal, Les Pensées

For those who ask why I do this at my age? My answer is why not?
"what then? shall we sit idly down and say the night has come; it is no longer day? The night hath not yet come;...For age is opportunity no less than youth itself, though in another dress, and as the evening twilight fades away the sky is filled with stars, invisible by day." Longfellow, Morituri Salutamus

Long may I be able to do so, but as age and time eventually take their toll hopefully my personal memories will endure. Physically I may not be there, but sentimentally I will always wear my shell. ...

Thus thankful, respectful and humble, but curious and with an ever eager heart, now at 73 I hope to continue once more this year in 2012.

Ultreia!

Margaret

I have not walked yet and am planning to walk from SJPP to Santiago in April 2013. I first heard of the Camino when my daughter walked with a small group from her college in May 2009. It was a transformative experience for her.

At about the same time, I started a major weightloss effort and, over the next 2.5 years lost 150 lbs. Lots of people have asked me how I celebrated or will celebrate my loss and I haven't had an answer. But slowly as I began to plan for a sabbatical and think about my new life, the idea of walking the Camino as part of my celebration has grown. When my daughter went, I could not have contemplated taking it on because I was in such bad shape I could barely walk. Now I think this walk will be an affirmation of my new self and one long praise journey to God for helping me through the loss and prayer for strength to never gain the weight back!

Liz

Congratulations, Liz! What an accomplishment!! As you already know, walking the Camino can be transformative. Sounds like you are no stranger to personal transformation!
Buen Camino,
Cathy

I first heard about the Camino 20+ years ago when studying in Spain. I got a free poster from a trade fair, which I really just used to cover the bare walls in my bedroom, but it stuck in my mind. It showed the route of the Camino in Castilla y Leon.

I always remembered it, but it was just a very vague idea at the back of my mind until I got made redundant last year and about 2 weeks later there happened to be an article in the newspaper about the Camino. You can guess the rest...!

Buen Camino!

Margaret, Thank you for your wonderful open heartedness and for your spot on perspectives as to why the Camino touches us so viscerally. It seems to find a chink in our humanness and wheedles its way in for a long stay. I love your spirit. You will do just fine this year as well. Courage.

Liz, congratulations you have already come a great distance along your journey to a new life. Well done indeed. I think the Camino would be a wonderful opportunity for you to reaffirm your new strength, capabilities and freedom. Throw in a little bit of love for all those who helped you get there (don't forget yourself), and you have the makings of many life changing Camino reflections. Go for it.

Tyrrek, I had a similar experience. I found myself in Santiago, many years ago, on a no itinerary holiday.I loved the city and all the pilgrim activity. I never gave it much thought after that until opportunity came knocking then, surprisingly, I was drawn to the Camino like a magnet. I am still trying to sort it out.

Kialoa3 said:
Long may I be able to do so, but as age and time eventually take their toll hopefully my personal memories will endure. Physically I may not be there, but sentimentally I will always wear my shell. ...
I loved your reply Margaret! Today is my 70th birthday. I have walked the Camino each year since 2007, arriving in Santiago 4 times (the first time we did it in 2 stages). Last year, upon arrival, while still in the Plaza, I said "I think I've got it finally out of my system" ... however, it seems not. We are now planning to start in Jaca this May, Yes, as youwrote, "time will take its toll, but memories will always endure"! Anne

I had been planning to walk the Bibbulman track in Western Australia (my home) when my Dad became seriously ill last March. The annual leave I had saved for the trek was used helping mum to run the farm and spending time with Dad in hospital.

Whilst Dad was in hospital I had ducked into the city to find a book to read (there's only so much reading medical charts one can take!). It so happened that a major book chain was closing down at the time and the shop I had walked into was half empty of books but full of people searching for a bargain. Whilst looking through the shelves of what was now a mess of books (nothing in any particular category) a book by Tom Trumble called 'Unholy Pilgrim' caught my eye. It was on sale so i brought it and headed back to the hospital.

Dad didnt get much of a look in for the next few hours as i sat by his bed unable to put the book down!

I can't explain it really, I was just drawn to the pilgrimage. I think also partly because it was the Camino Frances (and my name being Frances...obviously without the apostrophy over the 'e' however). Being a Christian I was also fascinated by this period in history.I just knew I had to do it.

Over the next few months life became very chaotic as i had to move back to Perth and turn down a promotion to be with Dad. I don't have any regrets, my family has always been far more important. I think the spirit of the pilgrimage helped me through this time, when i needed time alone I would venture to the internet and research the Camino and I would start planning my trek...never knowing when i would actually get to do it.

Dad is doing considerably better now, almost 1yr after his heart attack and stroke. So i have my plane booked and I'll be starting from SJPP on the 17th April :)

What wonderful comments by Liz, Margaret and all the others! I completed my first camino last year [Camino Portuguese] but only a short part - from Porto to SdC. I loved it. I loved the relative solitude which gave me time for prayer and contemplation. My reason then for going, was to give thanks for the seven happiest years of my life.
But I caught the camino bug! This year a slightly longer route from Salamanca to SdC - the Via de la Plata.
I take my time: I love the beauty of the countryside and the creatures I see. I walk alone to be close to God, but enjoy the company of other peregrinos each evening. I take many photographs because my memory is poor and I delight in looking at them in the months and years to come.
Age fails to be a factor: this year I'm 73 - but it's only a number on a computer or piece of paper. Thank you, Lord, for keeping me fit enough to do the walk.
You can find my diary and the links to the photographs on my web site - http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm
Buen camino!
Stephen

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was fascinated by Frances's account of why she decided to walk the Camino. I think for me it is very hard to know exactly why I am going to do it , but the challenge and the comradeship and the spiritual aspect all made me really want to do it. I will be starting on April 16th at SJPDP so am really looking forward to meeting lots of you on this forum.
David (Devon UK)

Hi Annakappa,
I walked the Camino Aragones last September and loved it. It is much quieter than the Frances, and sometimes I walked all day without seeing another pilgrim, which made the evenings at the aubergues more convivial, where everyone gathered around the dining table and talked. Also the pilgrims were different somehow, more serious in their purpose, and certainly more interesting.
I have written a few notes, especially noting the changes to the preferred routes described in the Confraternity of St James guide.
I have attempted to attach these notes as follows. It is the first time I have done this on the Forum so I hope it works. If not, and you are interested, please send me a PM>
David

Attachments

• Notes on Camino Aragones.docx
    12.9 KB · Views: 205
A friend asked me about 4 yrs ago if I wanted to 'Do the Camino' with her, and at the time I could think of NO good reason to do an 800km walk... Then I started reading - books/blogs/sites and forums....and my interest grew - I cannot imagine how many hours I've spent in following this passion over the last 2 years. My daughter kind of 'outed' me at a family gathering Christmas 2010 - saying 'Mum's goint to walk the Camino de Santiago - aren't you Mum? ' And that was it - in that moment I was ready to commit.
I want to walk the Camino to mark the end of my child raising years ( I have 23 y.o twins) by doing something entirely for me, I want to have a physical challenge, I want to 'have an adventure' - I was raised on Enid Blyton books :) - I want to walk in the same path that millions before me have , I want to be outdoors and live in the weather, connect with the natural cycles of our lovely earth , I want to live life at a slower pace for a while , I want to be a role model for my children - being someone who is getting older ( 53 - my 54th will be on the Camino) and still be open to the new and unknown, I want to experience the bond of this wonderful journey , I want to see Spain, I want to have the time to simply walk and think, walk and chat, walk and really see all around me - walk in a spiritual rythym - live in the moment - learn whatever it is that is best for me to know ..... My friend Diane and I leave Adelaide Sth Australia and begin our walk on April 2nd ....42 days to go !
Looking back at that paragraph it's a lot of 'I want' :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As you walk the Camino there is normally 4 questions that people ask each other.Where did you start-do you walk to Santiago-how far do you walk today and the final question that I learned not to ask was "WHY"?
The question I ask myself is why do I keep doing it,I decided this last time that enough was enough,but have felt very strange since,its hard letting go of what I thought was an addiction.
I've since been reading up on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs ( as you do) and his Pyramid,the bottom layer being your basic needs safety food shelter bodily comfort ect-you then seek to satisfy higher needs-through growth-esteem large social needs love belonging and sexual ( closeness to other people) needs
I started to see a pattern and when I got to the higher points of the Pyramid-exercise activity- problem solving- spontaneity-lack of prejudice-acceptance of facts-creativity-morality-and self actualization through to sense of purpose-and self transcendence (spiritual needs) and being lost in the present (thats why a gift is called a present)
when I was younger life gave me so much,now I get older it starts to slowly take things away,thats why I first walked the Camino. I have now decided that I will continue to walk the Camino's because once you get passed the Psychobabble I reckon Maslow might have had some idea of what walking a Camino can give you
Ian

On the morning of Friday, October 29, 2011 I was off work and surfing the internet when I came upon a post of my daughter's in which she said she "liked" the movie "The Way". My curiosity was piqued so I started looking around for information on the movie, found that it was playing in my city, and decided to check it out for myself. By 3:00pm I was walking out of the theater and saying to myself, "I wish I could do something like that." I cried all the way home.
Over the next day or so I could not shake the Camino. I mentioned to my son and his wife that I was "thinking about taking a trip to Spain this summer", talked with my daughter about the movie, and told my neighbors about the pilgrimage itself. What I was really doing was putting out "feelers" and wondering if these people could see this in ME? The response was positive and encouraging.
By Sunday it was done. I had decided to go but thought maybe I should only do a week or two. Attempting all 500 miles seemed too epic for such a small person as myself. But over time I realized that I would not be satisfied and it was only fear that was keeping me from committing to the Camino. So I committed by announcing it to the world - family, friends, neighbors, colleagues - that I was going. I appeared confident but I was nothing close. After all, this was something other people did.
For the next three months I continued to put of roadblocks - reasons that I shouldn't or couldn't go. And each one God lovingly exposed to me and tore down until I finally purchased my ticket to Paris - I was going for seven weeks!
Later that week I was out hiking with a friend and we were talking about the Camino. I shared that I did not know why I was going. I was too small, too insignificant, too unimportant for such an epic journey. After all, who did I think I was? The last three years have found me divorced and alone with nowhere to "put" the love I had given for 27 years. I told my friend that some people had jokingly told me, "Maybe you'll find love in Spain." My friend said, "Maybe that's why you're going. Maybe it's YOU that you will learn to love."
I am excited to be traveling alone, to be far from my comfort zone, to immerse myself in the people and culture of France and Spain and meet pilgrims from all over the world, to learn their languages out of respect and necessity, to experience the difference between wants and needs. I know that somewhere along the WAY I had gotten lost, so I suppose there will be much more that I learn about myself. I don't know where the first step will lead - maybe to Santiago, maybe not. I don't always trust myself, but I do trust God. And that's why I'm going. Because He has told me to. - M :arrow:

Thanks David. Just to let you know that your dowload works perfectly! I'll jot down all the relative information that I think might be needed! Anne

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Kialoa3 said:
I was wondering how others initially found and walked the Camino. My personal point of view is that there are no accidental pilgrims, but that's just me. How about you?

In 2004, I was getting ready to do the Inca Trail and met a wonderful young lady at a museum in Cuzco. We made friends, and I learned she had just finished studying Spanish for uni in Santiago, Chile. I had always thought of going to Chile. She spoke very highly of the culture, people, landscape. I was there!

One cold, rainy night 6 months later, I was having some wine w/chocolate. I decided to start researching Santiago, Chile for my next adventure. I was getting frustrated because I kept coming across this "Santiago" in Spain. I had already been to Spain. Personal journals, blogs, links, kept leading me back to Sanitago de Compostela. A couple of weeks later on Christmas day, I wound up being on my own. I spent the entire day reading a Dutch woman's (Anita) journal she posted about her Camino. WIne and chocolate again. I've been hooked ever since.

My friends call me a "Camino Junkie". I like it.

I walked the Camino Frances in '05 and the Camino Norte in '10. I return SJPdP in June and will walk to Muxia/Finisterre. I walk because I've found nothing as rewarding, spiritual, humbling, fun! Both wine and chocolate (in whatever form) are part of my daily Camino "routine". Both are easy to share with other peregrinos.

This will be my 4th time to Spain and still not made it to Chile.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

MoniRose said:
On the morning of Friday, October 29, 2011 I was off work and surfing the internet when I came upon a post of my daughter's in which she said she "liked" the movie "The Way". My curiosity was piqued so I started looking around for information on the movie, found that it was playing in my city, and decided to check it out for myself. By 3:00pm I was walking out of the theater and saying to myself, "I wish I could do something like that." I cried all the way home.
Over the next day or so I could not shake the Camino. I mentioned to my son and his wife that I was "thinking about taking a trip to Spain this summer", talked with my daughter about the movie, and told my neighbors about the pilgrimage itself. What I was really doing was putting out "feelers" and wondering if these people could see this in ME? The response was positive and encouraging.
By Sunday it was done. I had decided to go but thought maybe I should only do a week or two. Attempting all 500 miles seemed too epic for such a small person as myself. But over time I realized that I would not be satisfied and it was only fear that was keeping me from committing to the Camino. So I committed by announcing it to the world - family, friends, neighbors, colleagues - that I was going. I appeared confident but I was nothing close. After all, this was something other people did.
For the next three months I continued to put of roadblocks - reasons that I shouldn't or couldn't go. And each one God lovingly exposed to me and tore down until I finally purchased my ticket to Paris - I was going for seven weeks!
Later that week I was out hiking with a friend and we were talking about the Camino. I shared that I did not know why I was going. I was too small, too insignificant, too unimportant for such an epic journey. After all, who did I think I was? The last three years have found me divorced and alone with nowhere to "put" the love I had given for 27 years. I told my friend that some people had jokingly told me, "Maybe you'll find love in Spain." My friend said, "Maybe that's why you're going. Maybe it's YOU that you will learn to love."
I am excited to be traveling alone, to be far from my comfort zone, to immerse myself in the people and culture of France and Spain and meet pilgrims from all over the world, to learn their languages out of respect and necessity, to experience the difference between wants and needs. I know that somewhere along the WAY I had gotten lost, so I suppose there will be much more that I learn about myself. I don't know where the first step will lead - maybe to Santiago, maybe not. I don't always trust myself, but I do trust God. And that's why I'm going. Because He has told me to. - M :arrow:
I will start my first time journey at SJPP om April 20. If you meet another pilgrim whose name is Angelo, we can share experiences.

Wow, how wonderful to read all these motivational posts! My daughter told me that the other pilgrims were the "best part" of her Camino. I am very much looking forward to meeting folks along the way.

I thought I would add a bit more to my story. When I first started contemplating the Camino I thought my husband and I would try to walk about 200 K. That seemed like a very long distance.

Then I happened to see "The Way" last fall. I had never heard of the movie when a friend who knew I was planning to walk part of the Camino called and invited me. The movie was a bit sappy, but it really moved me and I started thinking I should walk more than the 200k I originally planned. So I talked to my husband who agreed that we could probably extend our planned walk to 300k.

Then I spent some time with my daughter over the holidays talking to her about our plans and she encouraged me to extend the walk to at least start at Burgos (about 500k). When I proposed this extension to my husband he was pretty reluctant.

A word about him -- We have been married for 27 years and are each other's best friends. He is so thrilled with my weight loss journey and was with me supporting me (and eating on WeightWatchers) every day of my journey. As a much heavier person I always felt loved and treasured by him but I know he worried about my health constantly. In any case, he was more than happy to do the 200k or 300k walk with me to celebrate. But he isn't much of a walker and just has not been sparked by the Camino idea (at least not yet).

Anyway -- most recently I read Kevin Codd's book "To the Field of Stars" and the further I got into it, the more I realized that I need to walk the who Camino Frances from SJPP to Santiago. My husband isn't sure why I see this as a so important. As it stands now, I will start in SJPP and walk on my own and will meet up with him in the vicinity of Astorga and finish out the walk together. But I am secretly hoping that he catches the Camino bug as I have and decides to take on the whole thing with me!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is a lovely thread. Keep 'em coming! Buen Camino!

My story is not as inspiring. I am writing to add to the diversity of reasons. Three years ago I took early retirement so I can do things that I could not do while working. I enjoy the outdoors and travel. I do not like tours, nor can I afford them. So, after a couple of trips, I was looking to do a long hike in the U.S. (where I live), such as the Appalachian Trail (AT). In researching the AT, I realized that I cannot carry everything I need with me, including camping and cooking equipments. I somehow ran across St. James' Pilgrimage and decided on the Camino Frances. The "path" is well traveled and therefore less difficult to hike. There are albergues and food at the end of the day. The cost is more than reasonable. A 16-lbs backpack is much better suited to a 63 y/o like me. Best of all, I get to experience the history, culture, architecture and landscape etc... of an ancient land. So here I am, looking forward to the Camino, meeting other pilgrims and Spaniards, and having new learning experiences. I will be staying at L'Esprit de Chemin in St Jean March 31, 2012 and leaving for Orrison, the next day, April 1. Hope to see some of you on the path.
Buen Camino
Hieu

In 2007 I walked from St.Jean Pie de Porte to Santiago to honour three of my best friends that I had lost in a short periode of time due to cancer.(I know it could just as well have been me.)
In 2010 my wife and I started to walk the Vezelay rout in France to mark the end of my own annus horribilis. In 2011 and later this year we are just walking because we want to walk and hope to continue doing so for a long time. After we arrive in St.Jean, we hope to cross the Pyrinees, as I did not see anything due to fog and rain in 2007. Thereafter the Camino Norte?
I beleave the Camino is a great way to mark major crossroads in your life. To me this is a way to prepare leaving work and become retired. As a doctor I have much of my identity from my work, and when no longer working, I will loose this identity. The Camino has helped me through my resent illness and prepared me to tackle the future. There is just one thing to do: Walk on!
Boen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
via Margaret
One answer is "le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing." Pascal, Les Pensées

This is so true. We can try to find the reason(s) but it will always end up with the heart.

My first trip to Santiago de Compostela is as an accidental tourist in 2002. After seeing pilgrims at the end their journey, their ruggedness, their elation, I had an epiphany. Looking at the cathedral I vowed that I will be back again, next time as a pilgrim.

In the end I came back not once, but three times, and a fourth time this coming May.

paddy25c said:
iam starting in may , & am mostly doing it for a bit of adventure & because its there
The odds are that you will never be quite the same again - and you will never forget the wonder of the journey. I'm also leaving in May from Salamanca. My second 'camino'.
Check out: http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm
Buen Camino Paddy!
Stephen

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wrote an insightful and, at least to me, moving hundreds of words piece on Why "I" walked the Camino. As is my wont, I tapped the "Preview" tab and reread all I had crafted. Then, I realized it was all about me. Oh, yes, I added a few lines of false humility, for flavor...a line on how important it is to let the Camino take over, should you over plan, or over second guess. But, before I could mash the "Submit" tab...I highlighted the entire thing and sent it off with a very satisfying "Delete".

The WHY is still not fully formed yet! Not after two Caminos, with a third coming in April. What I do know is: my life has changed in many ways...I've met so many wonderful fellow pilgrims both on Camino and here in the Forum. My daughter told me after my 2008 CF that she was amazed at the change in me. She offered, that: "While she always loved me...she didn't like me. Until now!"

Not even back from this year's effort, I had a meeting with my daughter and her family several nights ago where I announced I was going back on Camino in 2013...where I intend to walk every km of the CF, hopefully this time without injury. My words barely out of my mouth, my daughter amazed me with this jewel: "Dad, I would like to walk the Way with you!"

Add to that, this revelation from Ian
I have now decided that I will continue to walk the Camino's
. Ian...that brought a big smile to my face.

All I can concretely say is that, the Why we do walk the Camino is seldom concrete.

Buen Camino,

Arn

About a year ago, while working in a shop, having failed to get a job in my qualified field, I picked up a travel magazine. Having been diagnosed with an illness at birth that meant I could not visit many of my desired locations, that often feature in these magazines, I found an article about Spain and ignored the rest of the magazine. It was all about the Camino. I had NEVER heard of this before, never seen the film.

I instantly wanted to do it. I can not explain why I was so gripped, so instantly but I was. I decided there and then that I would walk a week or so In March 2012. I worked away for a company, that was clearly dying on it's feet with only two members of staff remaining. For over a year I worked extra days, longer days, longer months. I worked some weeks consecutively with no days off. All the while I was reading and researching. I bought maps and guide books. I finally realised that my dream was just that; a dream. With the shop in that state, I'd never get any time off work.

After little over a year they finally made me redundant with a months notice. All off a sudden here I was with over £2000 pound of a redundancy package, and due to the "crisis", no employment on the horizon.

But there was more to my story. [This paragraph is copied from my pilgrims introduction] I use to walk life's road with Christ. Somewhere, somehow, I wandered away from him. Too afraid to admit this to the people in my life, I continued with my weekly mass and worked up through the ranks of a Christian youth organisation, to become their leader. I never strayed from the teachings of the Church when I spoke to the youth.

So here I was; No job, no employment and having a spiritual crisis. It suddenly hit me... Why not do the whole walk, never mind a week? I was apprehensive to say the least and I approached this forum. The people on here are unbelievable, and will never know how much their advice has been appreciated.

I don't really know why I am walking the way, or what I expect to get from it; but I leave in six days for my first Camino.

On that note, pray for me.

Go raibh maith agat, do chara trid Criost. Is Mise Críostóir MacAodha

Críostóir,

My prayers go out to you on this Ash Wednesday for the safe completion of your Camino. May it be all you hope it will be. For every door that closes another opens.

Buen Camino

Arn

A selection of Camino Jewellery
mspath said:
... Thus, I decided to try to return.

And so I have, six times. Margaret

I love the inner place you have found on the Camino. Beautiful as the CF is, I hope you have tried some other routes than the Camino Frances .The Via de la Plata has its own inner challenges and beautiful country in the spring.

The Camino has hooked me on self propelled holidays. After a camino in the spring of 2010 I started bicycle touring in the summer of that year. Continued bike touring in 2011 and have switched to wilderness canoe tripping for 2012. Each trip is a pilgrimage. Each pilgrimage has its Santiago.

Ultreia.
David, Victoria, Canada

As I read through the posts on this thread I was struck by the diversity, honesty, and courage of this pilgrim community. It is no wonder that when we are home we have such a hunger to return to the Camino. Who would want to be separated from this amazing group of kindred spirits. The Camino provides a unique opportunity for us to leave behind many (certainly not all) of life's more bothersome distractions and for a brief moment embrace the simpler (dare I say more fulfilling) life of a traveler on the pilgrim road. At journey's end each of us, in our own unique way, and as best we are able to at that moment, compares the physical toll of the trip against the blessings of new friends, memorable experiences, wisdom gained, and faith strengthened. The balance, I would guess, tips heavily in favor of the Camino (and a return trip). It certainly did for me. As we depart for home we know that our individual pilgrim roads, though now made a wee bit straighter by the gift of the Camino, still stretch confusingly out before us. My hope is that we will now look at the continuing challenges of those roads from a different, better informed, perspective, and walk patiently with heightened awareness of the present leaving the future (and all those worries) for another day.

John

Walking along the Camino wrapped in my thoughts

I saw a dark skinned Aramaic in a ragged robe sitting on a rock

As I passed him by

He said

I’ve been sitting here for a thousand years

Watching people hurry by

My name is James and I’d like you to meet

My friend, Jes…...

I did not catch the end of his sentence as I hurried by

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi everybody,

I have sent Críostóir a P.M. but he has not opened it. If any of you meet him on the Camino next week please tell him that Lydia sends greetings.

Buen Camino, Criostoir...may your walk bring you what you are seeking. Go with no expectations and God will do the rest!

CriostoirMacAodha said:
About a year ago, while working in a shop, having failed to get a job in my qualified field, I picked up a travel magazine. Having been diagnosed with an illness at birth that meant I could not visit many of my desired locations, that often feature in these magazines, I found an article about Spain and ignored the rest of the magazine. It was all about the Camino. I had NEVER heard of this before, never seen the film.

I instantly wanted to do it. I can not explain why I was so gripped, so instantly but I was. I decided there and then that I would walk a week or so In March 2012. I worked away for a company, that was clearly dying on it's feet with only two members of staff remaining. For over a year I worked extra days, longer days, longer months. I worked some weeks consecutively with no days off. All the while I was reading and researching. I bought maps and guide books. I finally realised that my dream was just that; a dream. With the shop in that state, I'd never get any time off work.

After little over a year they finally made me redundant with a months notice. All off a sudden here I was with over £2000 pound of a redundancy package, and due to the "crisis", no employment on the horizon.

But there was more to my story. [This paragraph is copied from my pilgrims introduction] I use to walk life's road with Christ. Somewhere, somehow, I wandered away from him. Too afraid to admit this to the people in my life, I continued with my weekly mass and worked up through the ranks of a Christian youth organisation, to become their leader. I never strayed from the teachings of the Church when I spoke to the youth.

So here I was; No job, no employment and having a spiritual crisis. It suddenly hit me... Why not do the whole walk, never mind a week? I was apprehensive to say the least and I approached this forum. The people on here are unbelievable, and will never know how much their advice has been appreciated.

I don't really know why I am walking the way, or what I expect to get from it; but I leave in six days for my first Camino.

On that note, pray for me.

Go raibh maith agat, do chara trid Criost. Is Mise Críostóir MacAodha

I'm walking from SJPP to Santiago in May 2012.. Initially I was inspired to walk the Camino after watching the film "The Way" I've been planning for my trip for the past 12 months.. 8)

Although the film was my initial inspiration, For a long time now I've had an overwhelming feeling from deep inside, that no matter what gets in my way "I have to make this Pilgrimage"
I can't really put these feelings into words.. I think It's from the heart.. :) all I do know is It's kind of a nice weird feeling...

I'v read many times that a large percentage of the pilgrims who walk the Camino experience some sort of change to there lives by the time they reach Santiago de Compostela...? Deep down I hope this is the case.. :)

Buen Camino

Bryan

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What a beautiful post... Thank you all for sharing something as personal!

My first Camino (the Frances) I did because of the many questions about my future life : are my choices the right ones, shouldn't I change my life, my job - a very common question and not the first time I doubted...
At my 30ies, I left for a volunteer job of some weeks in Africa.
At my 40ies, I chose to give the Camino a try because of what friends of mine had told me.

It was such a great experience.
It gave me all the answers I needed and even much more.
I didn't expect something in particular as I didn't know what to expect.
The only thing I decidedly wanted: bring the little pebbles which some of my friends (all of them confronted with cancer) gave me to the Cruz de ferro. And burn a candle for each of them and for my family at santiago
Returning home, things happened quite differently but in the right way - and with some years in between, I see the links of all of it.
What first might have seemed "accidental", looks very "logical" or "right" by now... This is my way through my life.

Since them, I am as well, as so many of us, addicted to the Camino...

I was lucky enough to get early retirement from a very stressful job that I had done for over 27 years ( I had been a call handler/ despatcher for the fire service – hence the 999 in my user name).

I decided that I would go to Spain and work as a volunteer in an English language school where Spanish professional people come to improve and immerse themselves in everything totally English. It was great fun, met some fabulous people from around the world and made some new friends.

One day I was having lunch with a young American woman and a young male Spaniard. They were talking about this 'Camino'. They had both done the pilgrimage or certainly a good part of it. They both explained it to me and of course I was hooked. I have not stopped thinking about it since last June.

Ten years previously, I had prostrate cancer which was successfully removed and it has given me these extra years of life. So I want to thanks.

In the meantime I have been writing to an aunt of mine in Buffalo, USA for over 20 years. I always promised to go and visit but I never managed to get there. Last October 2011 I finally visited her in Buffalo and because she is very religious (Catholic) I would be expected to go to church and Mass. That was no problem but I am no Holy Joe. In fact I am a lapsed Catholic and probably have not been to much Church in about 45 years.

One day we were having a tour around Buffalo and of course we had to stop and visit a church for a look inside. Anything to oblige an aged aunt.

This church was called 'Our Lady of Victory'. It is a national shrine and basilica in Buffalo. It is magnificent inside and a true masterpiece.

This was not the only thing that was special about this church. This honour belonged to a truly, truly humble priest. His name was father NELSON BAKER. He was known as the 'Padre of the Poor' and a great man and priest.

Born in 1842, he enlisted and fought in the American Civil War. He became an established businessman by the age of 28. He had a calling for the priesthood and became ordained in 1876. Whilst he was working in a poor parish of Buffalo that had many debts and creditors pressing for payment, he persuaded the creditors for time to pay because of his previous good business name.

Amongst the things that he did, I believe that he wrote to nearly every Catholic family in America asking if they would donate 25 cents each to help fund his efforts to feed and clothe the poor; establish orphanages, maternity homes etc.

In 1926, after 4 years this wonderful basilica was constructed and 100% debt free!

In the Great Depression, the Our Lady of Victory organisation served over 1 million meals, clothed 700,000 people and gave medical care to 250,000. When he died it is estimated that between 300,000 and 500,000 people came to view his body.

Apparently he handled millions of dollars in his life time but died penniless -possibly how he wanted it.
FATHER NELSON BAKER began his route to sainthood in 1987 by the Vatican.
On January 14th 2011 the Vatican elevated him to ' Venerable' and he is now on his way through the canonization process.

That is why I am doing my Camino to Santiago. In memory of this great man and to help him on his way to canonization.
So if you see any leaflets on your pilgrimage at any hostals, albergues etc. with information about this great man; they were probably left by me. An Englishman who spent 10 days in Buffalo, USA and who will probably never get the opportunity to visit again.

I'm still not an 'Holy Joe' but I do realise that at 63 (next) I will soon be entering God's waiting room.

I won't be walking my pilgrimage alone as I feel that I will be walking in good company.

For information I have enclosed the following: http://www.ourladyofvictory.org

and on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7OnqLscfLI

If you tube doesn't work – just google it and choose the youtube video.

Charlie.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Charlie, Fr. Nelson Baker (great story) will not be your only companion. You will be keeping company with all the many other pilgrims (saints and sinners alike) whose steps fell where yours too will fall, and whose prayers will give you strength when you need it. Buen Camino.

John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Chas999 - You won't believe this, but I read your post yesterday about Father Baker right after I got home from attending mass at Our Lady of Victory Basilica in Buffalo... must be karma! I live in Buffalo and am planning to walk the Camino in September this year with my husband (God willing). So enjoyed seeing something about Father Baker, and maybe we'll see you along the way!

I had never heard of the Camino. About 2 years ago my wife had an "epiphany" when the Camino was mentioned to her by 3 unrelated sources within a week. That convinced her that it had to be done. We start in May......... I am going along for the food and wine.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@MnBCamino : you will love it, food and wine are excellent in Northern Spain!

The best ham in the world (all Italian followers, pardon me, your's is very excellent as well)
And in the Rioja, please order a good bottle of wine instead of drinking simply the wine served with the pilgrim's menu, it would be a shame...

And I wish you to find plenty of other reasons to like your camino - but I am almost sure, you will ...

ENJOY !

Hello Kialoa3/John and Eunivers.

Thanks for your kind regards and comments. Eunivers What a lovely church to worship in – lucky you.

Best regards and buen camino

Charlie

My son and I went to Cape Town last year in March for the Argus Cycling Tour in which he was riding. Not looking forward to the long journey in the car, I thought I would pass the time reading magazines. This in itself is unusual because I don't normally buy magazines. However, in one of the mags was an article about 4 women who each did something in total contrast to their normal day to day lives. One of them told about her CAMINO. I thought how interesting is that! The seed had been planted. When I got back to Johannesburg. I googled everything I could about the WAY OF ST JAMES. I planned it so that I could do the journey in April/May this year, I could not wait to book my ticket! I now have only eight weeks to go before I jump on that plane and start my pilgrimmage on 26th April from SJPDP! I think the CAMINO chooses you! :D

So looking forward to meeting all the other pilgrims!
Buen Camino
Jenny

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One thing I learned on my first camino was not to judge anyone's camino, not even my own. Wonderful post, Lise!

I first heard of the Camino when I went to hear Shirley McLain speak about 10 years ago. I know many people think she is a cook, but she is very passionate and clearly her trek moved her deeply.
Then of course I have been a huge fan of Martin Sheen for as long as I can remember. When Martin & Emilio came out with their beautiful film it sparked my interest all over again. The Way, my 60 Birthday, my brother saying "yes" I'll go with you, all set my course for Spain next September. I feel I need an adventure that I am doing for 'myself', something unique, something very special, something possibly life changing. My motive is more for personal growth than religious. More for the love of history & learning about a new culture. Getting out into the world & taking a really long walk. Attempting to speak a new language so others might understand me. Challenging my fitness and training for the trek. Gathering some worthy photos I can show to those who stayed home. Meeting interesting people from all over who have come for their personal reasons. I want to meet them all. I feel like a sponge waiting to soak up the Camino experience. Icannot be disappointed.

I put forth the simplifying notion that every motive is a search for a change of state. Just as we buy exercise equipment in the hope that we will achieve a change of state (weight, attitude, vigor, appearance, etc.), we walk in the same hope. Some discontent has us aspire to more contentment. The result is that everyone's pilgrimage is different. Some find that the discontent was false ("I thought I was not worthy in the eyes of God, but I am"), some clearly see what is causing the discontent ("a bad job"), and some find a contentment that they did not expect. Some find nothing.

Different Forum members have different predictions about what they, or others, will find; what thought or action is most likely to result in revelation; and what the revelation might be, or should be.

It is a recurring theme that second pilgrimages do not repeat the first; that preconceptions and expectations can ruin a camino; don't over-plan. The exceptions always lay waste to every assertion about a pilgrimage. You can repeat. Expectations can be met. The plan worked great.

Very few are not changed, so we have that in common -- we walk to change.

Of course, I could be wrong.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
falcon269 said:
Very few are not changed, so we have that in common -- we walk to change.
Of course, I could be wrong.
The first time my wife and I walked the Camino Francés (Roncesvalles - SdC), we were delighted and posted "Santiago de Compostela - Memories of a Great Road" on YouTube.
The following year we "did" the same again, and a year later again, and realized that it was the people who "made" our Caminos and our changes. We met marvelous walkers, who we will probably never see again, (though with a few we remain in contact via internet). and who opened windows on their "why" of the Camino. Each person with a reason which was changing or maturing as they walked the path.
Gumbolimbotropical posted various videos on YouTube, related to people on the Camino Francés. All have changed in the mean time. So have we. And "si Dios quiere" we'll be walking the Path again before long. We walk to change! In our case Falcon is right!

Lise T said:
I walked my walk.....and I loved it. It changed me. I enjoyed the freedom to just walk....and yes...to start dreaming again...I found my hope.
I remember starting to dream again and to find my hope.

THANK YOU !
(not only for the quoted sentences)

Lise, thank you returning to the Forum and sharing the story of your amazing journey to the Camino. I can only hope that your life and health are now better. Regarding what constitutes a "true" pilgrimage, you seem to understand that better than most. Never question what you accomplished. It was magnificent. As many others have said on this forum, we all walk our own Camino, and that is that matters. Best of luck and please keep us updated on your future Caminos.

John

After 3 years I am still working out the "WHY". I wrote this just last week - before seeing this thread!

The Call to Pilgrimage

In busy world how can we come aside?
Give up this strife.
Is there no refuge wherein we can hide?
And find new life.
Some days spent on a lonely mountain peak,
Would be such bliss.
Long ignored yearning deep within my heart,
Points me to this.

A deep and tranquil life in abbey grand,
Is not for me.
I need to use my all, heart, mind and hand,
In liberty.
Where can I find my Lord and peace within?
From sin set free.
I will arise and go from home and kin,
And pilgrim be.

So on an April morn, clear, mild and bright,
From open door.
I entered on a journey from my home,
To distant shore.
No tears shed there for those left far behind,
No call to stay.
But seek the Lord in far off distant land,
A world away.

Text © Tio Tel 2012

Blessings on all seekers
Terry

I was on a bus tour of Portugal and Spain in 2004 holy year and the tour overnighted in Sanitago de Compostella. We learned a lot about the camino on the tour. Up to that point I had only read Shirley Maclean's odd but interesting book, The Camino. When I saw the look on faces of two women pilgrims, one arriving energetically at the cathedral and the other leaning lost in thought against a pillar at the pigrim Mass I decided right then and there that I too wanted to be a pilgrim. As our tour bus tour continued I could see other pilgrims walking in the distance. It intrigued me the solitary journey. I bought a guidebook at the cathderal in Leon. The following Oct I did my first camino, aged 59. Then 2006 and since then, I have been a hospitalera in 2010 and will be hospitalera again in 2012. The camino keeps calling me.

I walked the Camino de Santiago (Camino Frances) in 2008. I walked it because I neede time out from life. My husband had left me with no explanation and my job of 15 years had got very stale. Someone, somewhere was telling me it was time for change. So I quit my job and got a one way ticke to Biarritz.
I was scared silly, but excited by the prospect of new people, new places and new adventures. It was a physical, mental and emotional challenge but one that was worth every step. It took me 5 weeks and I laughed, I cried, I experienced pain and discovered muscles I never new I had, I met some amazing people, some I'm still in touch with and some just touched my life briefly... I had the experience of a life time.
I came back a renewed, refreshed, rediscovered person, ready to take on life and all its challenges.
I returned a year later to walk the Camino Fisterra. This time it was to raise funds for a volunteer schools project I was going to join in South Africa. Once again it was a life enhancing, memorable experience. Very different from my previous Camino experience, but unique in its own way.
My camino experiences will always be with me. I learned a lot about myself along the way, the lessons I learnt will remain with me for the rest of my life.
Buen camino! xxxx

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I guess because I've always wanted to do something like this, and I'm tired of making excuses for not doing it.

Walking the Camino Francés in September 2011 has been a turning point in my life. So much so that I am returning to walk Camino 'Via de la Plata' early in 2013, for a deeper Camino experience. I would like to share this quote which sums up for me the transforming and life changing aspect I discovered on the Camino. Maybe your Camino experience was similar? Look forward to meeting you all again in 2013!
declannnnn

"The Pilgrim is the person who says, you know I think there is something more for me in this world and goes out looking for it. Just as in history the Pilgrims who would travel say from wherever to Mecca or from England to Jerusalem, they weren't going there for their health, they were going there because they wanted to work out their relationship to the divine, in this case God. God's Love. Along the way with luck, what happened was they discovered an inner strength inside themselves that they could trust, and that is when they start to commit themselves to their belief, to their life and to the people they love." Dr. Allan Hunter

The Six Archetypes of Love & Princess Diana's Archetype

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAEbHD8zqH8

I intend to walk the Camino from July-August of next year in the hopes that it will help me to hit the reset button on my life and start anew with a fresh outlook. The past 5 years have been rough on not only myself, but my entire family. In Sept of 2007, my mother was violently murdered in what is, to this day, an unsolved homicide. Since then, I have deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq with the US military, and lost my dream job to budget cuts. I am actually writing this post from my office in Kabul, Afghanistan, where I am currently serving a third tour of overseas duty. The stress of the last 5 years has taken it's toll on me physically, mentally, and emotionally, and I am hoping that walking the Camino will help me to let go of the pain and anguish that I carry with me on a daily basis.

Shane

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Shane_the_Pain said:
I intend to walk the Camino from July-August of next year in the hopes that it will help me to hit the reset button on my life and start anew with a fresh outlook. The past 5 years have been rough on not only myself, but my entire family. In Sept of 2007, my mother was violently murdered in what is, to this day, an unsolved homicide. Since then, I have deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq with the US military, and lost my dream job to budget cuts. I am actually writing this post from my office in Kabul, Afghanistan, where I am currently serving a third tour of overseas duty. The stress of the last 5 years has taken it's toll on me physically, mentally, and emotionally, and I am hoping that walking the Camino will help me to let go of the pain and anguish that I carry with me on a daily basis.

Shane
...they say that when you have started planning your Camino, you have actually started it.

Good luck and Buen Camino!
Ivar

Why?
I still don't know.
Maybe I'll find out next year when I walk again in May.

Why?
Because it´s time for me to do it - that´s my answer.
The thought has been following me for decades, 2013 is the year when thought and action will meet.
I´ll start my first in Logrono 25/5-13 and will end when I´ll end.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I saw a preview to the movie "The Way" I couldn't stop thinking about it. After I saw the entire movie, I knew it had to be done. The movie pulled me in but God called me to it. It was late March of 2012 when I decided to do the walk, it was at this time my pilgramage began. God has blessed me in so many ways during this time and I have noticed an inner change in me as well. I plan on leaving the states on September 1, 2013 and start walking from SJPdP on the 3rd. I'm half way there and what a journey it's already been. God Bless us, everyone.

My why was seemingly simple. Sunday night, minor argument with my wife snowballed into the realisation that I'd been suffering from depression for a few years, that I'd been screwing our lives up and generally not been a very good husband, father, son or friend for a long time. We agreed time apart would be good. Monday morning I went in to work to ask for some leave, on Tuesday I bought a few bits of stuff I needed and sorted out travel. On Wednesday I was in Spain with the clothes I stood up in, a few items in a bag but nothing else, no maps, no guide books and no real preparation or research other than the need to walk westwards. I'd known of the Camino for a while but I wanted to save it until the time I needed it. That time had come.

I think there is a more "real" why that is more personal to all of us. For me, I think it was to lead me to a few places at the right time. The long walk through the vineyards coming out of Camponaraya, a chance conversation reaching Triacastela at the end of a long day and another chance meeting with the same person in Monte de Gozo... they left me with a feeling that I'd been "brought" there to be part of each of those scenes.

We may have our reasons for going but does someone else have a reason for sending us? Who knows but the "why" that took me to Spain first wasn't the same one that got me to Santiago.

It's funny how we are drawn. I say that because I have no other explanation. I hope to find the reason in April 2013, but I think that the Camino may just be a step in the process. I had been talking at work about just hitting the road one day on my own and seeing where it leads me. A couple of days later I saw the movie "The Way". I had began mountain biking a few months earlier and it all just made since. Within a couple of weeks, I was planning and booking my trip. My wife didn't even put up a fuss and told me to enjoy. I look forward with eyes and mind wide open.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walter Starkie published his classic, THE ROAD TOSANTIAGO in 1957 based on his four journeys along the Camino de Santiago. Much of the bibliography was devoted to Georgiana Goddard King's iconic three part THE WAY OF SAINT JAMES which was published in 1917 which was the result of three years wanderings on foot, by cart, mule, and other conveyance on the pilgrimage roads to Santiago.

When Brazilian author Paulo Coelho's book THE PILGRIMAGE came out in 1987 there was a sudden flurry of South American's crossing the Atlantic to Spain in search of their own Master and [metaphorical] swords.

After Shirley MacLaine's MY CAMINO was published in 2000, an armada of New Age adherents hit the road in search of their own sented Saints and previous lives in Lemuria.

In 2001 husband and wife team David Gitlitz and Linda Davidson published their classic, Camino 'bible' THE PILGRIMAGE ROAD TO SANTIAGO. Their work was inspired by Walter Starkie and they started the first Camino Forum linked to the university website. The couple walked to Santiago in 1974, 1979, 1987 and 1993 accompanying groups of student-pilgrims on academic, medieval study programs. In 1974 they did not meet even one other pilgrim on the road to Compostela. In 1979 the met an elderly Frenchman who was fulfilling a vow made in the Second World War.

The German comedian's book I'M OFF THEN in 2006 (based on his 2001 Camino walk) resulted in a 30% increase in German speaking pilgrims. One caustic response on a Camino Forum was that the prolifferation of German males could be attributed to the writer saying that Spanish families sent their nubile, single daughters onto the Camino in search of eligible husbands.

Johnnie Walker tells us that 2012 has seen an 80% increase in the number of American pilgrims, as well as substantial increases in the numbers of pilgrims from other English speaking countries. Some of this can be atttributed to the Sheen/Estevez movie THE WAY.

9 pilgrims who will walk with an amaWalkers Camino group next year have cited watching THE WAY as the reason for them wanting to walk a Camino.

I hope they will not be disappointed! A number of returning pilgrims, motivated by THE WAY, have expressed their disappointment that the Camino wasn't anything like THE WAY.

If THE WAY is your reason for walking a Camino just remember:

Each of those characters had a strong, personal reason for walking the Camino. It wasn't because of a book they had read or a movie they had seen.
They never got blisters, tendonities, muscle cramps, sun burn, diarrhea etc
They didn't have to walk in the rain or the mud
They never washed their clothes
The never walked past car grave-yards, city dumps or sub-economic inner city suburbs.
And - the characters had each other the whole way, through thick and thin. Although you will meet up with diffderent pilgrims, its unusual to stay together for more than a few days at a time.

Well-said, Sillydoll. As inspiring as I find "The Way," a camino is nothing like it (except some of the scenery). Anyone who walks it solely because Martin Sheen appears to walk it, will be disappointed (in my sole opinion, of course). To the extent that the film makes people aware of the existence of the Camino, I think it is a good thing. To the extent that it caters to our obsession with celebrity (at least in the U.S., where a sighting of a celebrity will lead to weeks of anecdotes about it), it is a bad thing. The film is not the problem; our reaction to it is! Once again, we meet the enemy, and it is us. :D

Apologies to Pogo...

I plan to walk the Camino in September of this year. I can only be off myself for two weeks or so, so I will walk the final 120km (give or take a couple of km). My husband is not going (not interested) but will miss me too much if I'm gone any longer. I know it sounds wimpy, but it is what it is, so I do what I can do. I hope someday to do the whole thing from SJPP.

Why am I doing this?

It began a few years ago when I read that one of the President's daughters walked the Camino, and then I looked it up and it fascinated me. I later read that St. Bona, my name saint, was a guide on the Camino in the Middle Ages. I felt pulled towards it and somehow just knew eventually I would do this. I will be 60 this February. Since 50, I have taken a special trip. At 50 it was to Italy with a small group to look at art and fashion. At 55 it was to Provence to paint with two other ladies and a wonderful teacher with whom I stay in contact to this day. As I looked forward to 60 with retirement, a move to another (and very different) US state, and grandparenthood coming along, walking the Camino seemed logical, as I am going through a period of discernment, both spiritual and practical. I hope the time alone, the prayer, the experiences, etc. will help me figure a few more things out about the final chapters of my life. I have the distinct feeling (don't know why) that this is something God wants me to do.

It began a few years ago when I read that one of the President's daughters walked the Camino,
Secret service. No pack. IPod. Lugo to Santiago with some limousine and Paradors, according to press.

Attachments

• Jenna camino.jpg
    Jenna camino.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 11,652
  • Jenna ipod.jpg
    Jenna ipod.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 11,613
Who is Jenna?

ffp13 said:
Who is Jenna?

The former U.S. president's daughter? I wonder how her post would read on this thread.

How did I find out about the Camino?
I first discovered the Camino by watching the movie 'The Way', which came out in 2011. As a lover of roadtrip/journey-movies I wanted to know if the Camino was real, so I started to look some things up. Over the past 2 years I became more and more enthusiastic and saw more documentaries etc.

Why am I doing the Camino?
I have always wanted to see more places of the world, and at the moment my life has a certain lack of adventure. I'd love to be out there on my own, away from my daily life, and hopefully figure out what to do with the rest of my life.

I walked 'the way of St James' from May 23rd to June 29th, 2012 (St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago to Finisterra to Muxia). Like many others in the United States, I lost my job in June 2011 due to the Great Recession. With more time than answers to my predicament, I begin looking inward and decided that 'something' was missing in my life.

I began with local long hikes on the Appalachian Trail. What I learned was that the simplest things gave me pleasure like swimming below a water fall or hiking peaks of mountains. The best part of this realization was that the cost to do these things was negligible to the money I used to drop on expensive vacations that I can hardly remember now. Then came the movie, The Way, in October 2011. The credits had not rolled before I had committed myself to this journey. I used this forum to gather as much advice as I could to prepare myself, and would like to thank "all of you" for your wisdom and support. I also have to thank my wife for allowing me to go and not committing me to some quiet place with sprawling green lawns and group therapy.

I have been asked a hundred times why I did it or why I went. That question is usually greeted with a stare and an admission that it is too hard for me to try to explain. I know why, but it is for more reasons than I could count and to try to settle it on one or two would diminish the answer. The reason was innate and inexplicable. I will say this much, the experience was nothing short of 'beautiful.' I met so many wonderful people from all across the world who will be lifelong friends of mine. The experience quite literally changed my life (for the better). There isn't a day that goes by that doesn't feel like yesterday, I was in some small Spanish village like Hontanas or Foncebadon and wishing to God that He will give me the opportunity to return to the Camino. I will be back someday...that is my hope.

Here are my reasons why.

Fulfilling a dream held since university days, at 65 I first set out in 2004.
I, too, wanted to experience what so many had done across time and to see what had been built along the way while pondering the myths and ghosts of history. As most pilgrims do I discovered this endeavor to be hardly a walk in the park, but a unique mix of contemporary mundane chance and historic legend. When exhausted for courage I would remember one of the timeless adages associated with the Camino, "if a pilgrim makes it to the city of Burgos, he can make it to Santiago!" With time walking on an empty path while hearing only the distinctive crunch of my boots became a true pleasure.

Kindnesses of strangers along the way offering smiles, water, conversation, help and hospitality were a constant support. After walking two months when I first arrived at Santiago de Compostela in 2004 seeing at last the great cathedral, touching the hallowed stones, and weeping with joy as the great bells tolled were special thrills. Overwhelmed with emotion I silently gave thanks for all that had passed. Later when sorting memories and souvenirs, I slowly began to realize that my mind and heart had been deeply changed by this journey. Thus, I decided to try to return.

And so I have, six times.
Each Camino has begun with both anticipation and trepidation. As always I wonder how it all will go. My reasons include non-traditional spiritual ones giving thanks for each day lived and for my life which enables such a journey. Walking alone day after day I ponder varied aspects of the thousand-year history of this beloved route as well as recall several quotations which help define my personal creed. "But as for me, I will walk in mine integrity..." "I will walk in liberty for I seek thy precepts." Psalm 26:11 and 119:45 "No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path." Buddha

For those who ask why I do this at my age? My answer is why not?
"what then? shall we sit idly down and say the night has come; it is no longer day? The night hath not yet come;...For age is opportunity no less than youth itself, though in another dress, and as the evening twilight fades away the sky is filled with stars, invisible by day." Longfellow, Morituri Salutamus

Thus thankful, respectful and humble, but curious and with an ever eager heart, now at 73 I hope to continue once more this year in 2012.

Ultreia!

Margaret

Well said, Margaret. I will carry you thoughts and words with me.
I was fortunate to do my first Camino Francis May-July, 2013 just before my 63rd birthday. It was an amazing experience. Meeting wonderful people from all around the world, many of whom I'm still in contact with, seeing some incredible sights and experiencing some physical challenges. It took me 7 weeks to go from SJPP to Santiago (the slower you go the more people you meet. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.) I hope to do my second camino in 2015 at the age of 65. Buen Camino!:)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just read every single comment in this thread! WOW!!! THANK YOU to all of you who shared your wonderful stories! I loved them all! :)

I realize that this is a very old thread, so I’m not sure if anyone will actually see my post, but I feel like I HAVE TO add my story! And if just ONE person see it and can benefit from it, my time writing is well spent.

My motto is: Everything happens for a reason and at the right time! There are NO coincidences! ....And also: If you can dream it you can DO it! :)

Why am I walking the Camino? (this fall, 2014):
Because I HAVE TO! I don’t know why, but I just know I HAVE TO! I am drawn to it and I just have to go! Period! :cool: ;)

How did it get to me?:
Long story!....Many years back, when I was exploring and ‘eating up’ all kinds of books related to spirituality, life and ‘death’, religion etc. I ‘stumbled’ over Shirley MacLaines ‘Out on A Limb’ (and some others by her), which I found interesting at the time. Years later she wrote her Camino book and I thought it sounded REAL DULL and borring, :eek: ...not something I would bother to spend my time reading. I avoided it many times, even when it got on sale! A few years later it was almost on a give away, (only a few bucks), so I finally surrendered and thought; ‘What the heck’, there might be at least a few things to pick up from it!?....HA! :p I can’t say I enjoyed the book really, but I ate it up even so! I thought it was the dumbest thing I had ever heard of! Why would anyone put themselves through all that?....and yet, it also intrigued me, and I knew I had to do that one day, only not now! Later! So it went on my ‘to-dream-list’ for later, when the time was right for me.

Btw; the reason I fell for Shirleys other books in the first place, was because I, as a young teenager, saw one of her shows in Las Vegas together with my Grandma....as we couldn’t get tickets for the preferred big stars, (I don’t remember who that was, but I fell for Shirley!). So that said, the real seed for my Camino was planted like 30 years ago! And oh, writing this now, I just realize that today would have been my Grandmas birthday....I hear her giggling! Happy BD Grandma!....so much for “coincidences”! :rolleyes: ;)

Years passed...since reading ‘The Camino Book’! Busy with work, carreer, family and my new passion with songwriting and going to Nashville to record. No time left for Camino walking, ...but I never forgot. I knew the time would come! :rolleyes:

This spring I suddenly started to get little reminders of the Camino, all over the place! Little ‘nudges’ or ‘pokes’ if you like. Like; A songwriter colleague was planning for his Camino. I saw he posted pictures on facebook. A former colleague ‘liked’ a Camino TV series from Danish TV (on facebook) and I noticed she had pictures of her walking it too! Hmmm! An article in a VERY local newspaper, (that I hardly ever read!), about the opening of a new official Pilgrim route starting in Elsinore Denmark, (close to where I live!) and actually going right through my OWN town, ending in Santiago de Compostella! There even was a kick-off walking event and an exhibition about the Camino! Things like that! I knew something was going on!!! o_O Oh yeah and a facebook group for Danish Pilgrims! That did it!!! :)

And BAM!....my situation suddenly changed! Crisis and downsizing at work. I got the opportunity to stop working with a very good ‘package’ for leaving. YES!!!! Now I have all the time in the world to walk the Camino! I was ready to go right away, BUT I had already planned a trip to Nashville to record some new songs in May, so that was my 1st priority! Of course I had to write a new song about my dreaming of the Camino (called: Happy Road). I usually don’t put my songs out for ‘graps’ on the net, but this song was, (just like the Camino!), very ‘pushy’ and ‘wanted to be out there ASAP! Kind Danish Pilgrims let me use their pictures for the video! I booked my flight right before posting the video, so the lyrics would be true! :)

What fascinates me about the Camino?:
Oh SO many things really! The simple life. No planning, just walking and being. Having time to think and reflect on life, (or decide not to think!?), just do as I feel is right and be in the moment, (accept the present(s)). Being one with nature and enjoy it all. See what happens. Suck it all in. Learn from it all. The unknown; going to a ‘strange’ place, where I don’t even know the language, and not knowing why I go there either. Doing something totally irrational for a change! Explore my limits, how far I can walk, how few ‘things’ I can do with? (I’m at 6 kilo backpack now! I will make it 5!), see how I adapt to the places I get to, and what happens with my mind?... can I REALLY stop planning and setting goals? That is my goal!...haha! (Joke! :p) AND of course; I look forward to meeting all the nice pilgrims and other good souls out there, along the road and see what we may have to give each other. :)

What I want from the Camino?:
I really just want to feel it, see it and be one with it! See what happens! Go with the flow and be open to whatever it brings. Should it lead me to finding my next direction and change in life, I would be grateful. I am SURE there is a good purpose why I am going, no matter what happens!

Buen Camino! I can’t wait!!! :)
Peace & Love
Ulla

PS: Sorry about this long post! I sat up ALL night to write it, so I HOPE it means something to someone out there!!!? ;)

Most of what I just said is actually included in my song, (it’s on YouTube (link below)!). Here are the lyrics:

Happy Road
Music & Lyrics by: Ulla Lindstroem & David Harper

I am drawn to this place and I don’t know why
I would go there today, if only I could fly
It’s just crazy!
I hardly know what it is?
I’m getting little signs everywhere I look
Like it’s calling to me and ‘sending out a hook’
It’s amazing
The way it’s getting to me!
It’s been lurking for years in the back of my mind
now is the time

I have to go, see this place
get away from the daily race
Expectations? Complications?
I’ll leave them all behind!
Step by step, stone by stone,
I must go
And find my place
Walking the happy road

I need a place I can go and find myself
Just me, alone, and no one else
No distractions
Not a care in the world
Where no one judges, no one stares
And you only bring what you need to ware
Simple living
And a chance to be free!
I’ve been losing myself, going out of my mind
So now is the time

I must go
And find my peace
Walking the happy road

Feeling the sun, stare at the moon
And just breathe in the day
Follow the stars
Walking below the Milkyway

I must go
And find my myself
Walking the happy road

I am drawn to this place and I don’t know why
I will be there soon, I’ve booked my flight
It’s amazing!
:rolleyes: :)

Hi All -- Its funny -- I forgot that I had written two posts in this thread! Yesterday Ullali like them and I re-read them as a result. I thought I would follow up my earlier posts. My husband and I walked the Camino Frances from St. Jean starting April 2, 2013. We walked into Santiago on Ascension Eve, May 8, 2013. If you read my earlier posts you know that he was reluctant to do the whole distance and I was a bit worried. We had a incredible adventure! The celebration, the time together, the people we met, the time for contemplation, the spiritual renewal -- I can't put my experience easily into words. Suffice to say that we are returning in the summer of 2015. We will volunteer as Hospitalers at Refugio Guacelmo in Rabanal del Camino so that we can give back just a tiny bit of what we got! And we will walk the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago and then on to Muxia and Finnestere.

Liz

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What a coincidence! Yesterday Ullali said she liked one of my posts from two years ago!! And I've just re-read this forum too!
Since then I've walked the camino again TWICE. I can only afford one camino each year!
Five weeks ago I returned from the Camino Ingles. Full details and downloadable diary and photo album are on my web site
http://snicholl5.wix.com/home-site#!santiago/c165l
I decided when I came home that the camino Ingles had better be my last camino.
Now I'm planning the Finnisterre and Muxia route for next year!! :)
Maybe it really does never end!
Buen camino from an old-timer!

I believe that the Camino calls you when it is time.
While I was walking, I remember pilgrims talking of how they had been thinking about it for years when finally it was able to materialize for them.

The Camino came to me while I was in the midst of personal transformation. She called me over and allowed me the space to reassess EVERYTHING. I am forever in her debt and grateful.

I've just re-read this thread too. Margaret's original post still touches me. In seriousness I can't put it any better, so I won't try.

Why do I walk?
  1. To get to the next cafe con leche
  2. As a rest from being a lawyer, wife, mother, cook, and, most critically, doing the housework
  3. To avoid State elections and politics,
  4. As an excuse to wear crocs
  5. To sleep with strangers (yeahhhhh!)

I have been quietly sitting on the sidelines for the past few years, not feeling that I could offer more than what was already being said. But this morning seeing another reply to this older post of mine it I thought I would jump back in for an update. The camino call has never diminished since my wife Robin and I, travel weary and somewhat bewildered, first trudged off the train at St. Jean Pied de Port. Since then we have been blessed with the time, health, and resources to continue this remarkable journey. No camino is without challenges, and we have had our share, but the joy of being on pilgrimage always carries the day. It is unclear, at this point, from which direction we will next approach Santiago, but approach we will sometime in the coming year. The pilgrim road leads straight to our hearts, and it is there that we find the peace, joy, and strength to continue.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back