• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wild camping on Le Puy?

Jadviga

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo-2023, Le Puy-2024-?
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something different-wild camping (both because I have very limited financial resources and because I really want to try this on Camino). I've read about the laws and regulations regarding wild camping in France...but I would really love to know more about the personal experiences of those who have tried that! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
France is a camping paradise!

Along the via podiensis, often you can camp for very little money on official campsites, showers and all.

There are countless campsites along the way, some of them only ~5-10€. Many gites allow camping in their garden, too (for much less than a bed would cost, I think I usually paid 5-10€).

I didn't wild camp but met several people who did.

France is very tolerant of it, as long as you do it in a respectful way. If you set up your tent late, for example next to a pilgrim rest area, and leave early, it usually is no problem. No fire, no litter, of course.

In at least one village I even saw a sign on a little patch of grass in the middle of the village that said "bivouac allowed here, from 7pm-7am".

There are also many small chapels along the way where you could sleep under the porch. Often there's a water fountain next to it, sometimes even a compost toilet.

Also, a few "open access" shelters, for example the réfuge de la béate (highly recommend).

So, you have many options.

If you want a list of the chapels, I can send it to you. I got it from a hospitalero in Cahors. Was very useful.

IMG20220702214139.jpgIMG20220702214149.jpg

Last edited:
Two years ago we met a young lady who was camping on the GR65 Some nights she would just knock on a door and ask to sleep in their yard. It seemed to be working for her.

I'm too old and that is too adventuresome for me. It is just different when you are in the High Sierra doing that.

good luck Bob

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In at least one village I even saw a sign on a little patch of grass in the middle of the village that said "bivouac allowed here, from 7pm-7am".
That is the point: distinguishing between:
- "bivouac": you put your tent in the evening, and remove it next morning
- "camping": you leave your tent mounted in the day.
The first should be allowed, or at least tolerated, nearly anywhere. I have some pilgrim friends who has mounted their tent for the night inside little cities. Even in Spain, in Fromista, a fellow pilgrim has put its tent in the middle of the city for one night.
Of course, it is always better to ask before.
I hope you will enjoy your journey in France, bon chemin !

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back