• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wise Pilgrim All Routes vs Individual

BombayBill

Still Learning
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024 Invierno / VdLP or Cathar
Can someone enlighten me about the difference between the @wisepilgrim All Routes App and the individual apps? I had previously purchased (?) the apps for each individual Camino. Now there is an “All Routes” app. Has the new app replaced the need for the individual ones?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have both. I'm not sure if "all routes" would supersede the individual ones. I think that some years back I bought the Wise Pilgrim package and now the "all routes" has simply been delivered as part of the last update?
But I can say that perusing "all routes" is useful for *me* for setting up some alternate possibilities in a "one stop shop" and that I will still keep the separate routes so that when I make my choice about which route I am actually going to follow at a given time, I will have that on my home-screen for easy access.
But @wisepilgrim may have more information for us...

This post on another thread should help answer your question. At least until @wisepilgrim chimes in.

Hello everyone!

It is with great joy that I read the above comments, and am very grateful for the recent reviews. I would have written earlier but I am currently on the Camino Aragonés collecting new stuff for the upcoming update to the Francés app… yes, the two will be combined!

Somebody above asked to know the difference between the paid and the free apps, so let me see if I can explain a bit of the history and motivation. In a nutshell the paid app has more: it is the full content of the guidebook, it has maps which can be downloaded for offline use, and in fact all of the images are also intended to be used entirely offline. The online need is limited only to reading and leaving comments, as this involves live information.

The free app was developed as a response to this thread, where it was made very clear that there was a demand for a stripped down version of the app. A surprising number of pilgrims don’t want to know any of the history or contemporary information about a place… or they have a different source for that information. Many pilgrims were looking for distances and beds. So the All Caminos free app does that and a bit more.

On a fundamental level the reason I do what I do (obsess about the services available to pilgrims) is because I want pilgrims to have the best information possible. I was recently in the Pilgrim Office in SJPP and was appalled by the list that they are distributing…. One of the albergues on the list has been closed for 6+ years, and at least a dozen more have closed since it was last updated. As the camino has become more and more busy this creates a lot anxiety among pilgrims, and anxiety then takes the place of other much more important emotions that the camino would otherwise invite.

So perhaps it is what is needed for everyone to set off with a bit more confidence is a free and digital version of that SJPP list, but one that is tended to more carefully.

Off to Sangüesa, have a great day!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The free All Caminos app is not a replacement for the paid individual guides. Rather it is a much slimmed down version whose content is limited to the route data (places, services, distances, etc.) and accommodation. It does not contain the guide content (identical to the printed book) that the individual paid version offers. It also does not contain offline maps or the ability to search for accommodation by name, which starts to get confusing when you mix many routes together.

Both versions of the guide are actively developed and updated, in fact I just published an update to the Francés, Norte, and Portugués apps alongside the All Caminos update.

I can also add that I use the All Caminos code as a place to test out new features before adding them to the paid version… it is easier to catch bugs that way. The next feature coming is the ability to flag places and accommodation as a favorite, so you can mark where you stayed as well as where you would like to stay in the future.

If you have already paid for the individual guide, I don’t think the free one will offer you much. But if you have and enjoy the functionality of the free app you will definitely find more content in the individual guide.

Thank-you so much for the clarification. I did go looking for the answer on the forum knowing all questions have been answered at some point but didn’t find the above thread. Duh! It’s a terrific app.

I looked at the Apple Store and saw that it had received only 3 ratings. Really a shame I had neglected to show my appreciation so I added a review. Perhaps others could as well.

The next feature coming is the ability to flag places and accommodation as a favorite, so you can mark where you stayed as well as where you would like to stay in the future.
Excellent! I was thinking about such a feature just yesterday!
Will it also be possible to write down my own private remarks/comments?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Excellent! I was thinking about such a feature just yesterday!
Will it also be possible to write down my own private remarks/comments?
I had not thought of that. What kind of comments are you thinking about? If they are the sort of thing that could be handled by a notes app, I would rather not add the complication. But I could envision adding reservation notes for example.

I had not thought of that. What kind of comments are you thinking about? If they are the sort of thing that could be handled by a notes app, I would rather not add the complication. But I could envision adding reservation notes for example.
I was thinking of writing down recommendations for cafes/restaurants each place etc. Just private notes. But it may well be fixed as a general comment. But surely, in the planning stage, tagging of wanted places to stay, would be very convenient.

Last edited:
The review process on the Apple App Store does not seem to reflect reality. I can see in my Apple account that I have in the past rated the Wise Pilgrim CF app with 5 stars. As well with a written review.

The Canadian Apple App Store shows only 3 reviews in 8 years. So please note @wisepilgrim that the store does not reflect your customers’ appreciation.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The review process on the Apple App Store does seem to reflect reality. I can see in my Apple account that I have in the past rated the Wise Pilgrim CF app with 5 stars. As well with a written review.

The Canadian Apple App Store shows only 3 reviews in 8 years. So please note @wisepilgrim that the store does not reflect your customers’ appreciation.
It’s been that way for 10 years. Some users see some comments, some don’t. I’m not even sure that I have seen them all.

But the love is felt all the same.

The free All Caminos app is not a replacement for the paid individual guides. Rather it is a much slimmed down version whose content is limited to the route data (places, services, distances, etc.) and accommodation. It does not contain the guide content (identical to the printed book) that the individual paid version offers. It also does not contain offline maps or the ability to search for accommodation by name, which starts to get confusing when you mix many routes together.

Both versions of the guide are actively developed and updated, in fact I just published an update to the Francés, Norte, and Portugués apps alongside the All Caminos update.

I can also add that I use the All Caminos code as a place to test out new features before adding them to the paid version… it is easier to catch bugs that way. The next feature coming is the ability to flag places and accommodation as a favorite, so you can mark where you stayed as well as where you would like to stay in the future.

If you have already paid for the individual guide, I don’t think the free one will offer you much. But if you have and enjoy the functionality of the free app you will definitely find more content in the individual guide.
Thank you…
I initially got the free app… can you clarify-the free App is the one with All the guides -correct?
Then I purchased the CF—but honestly— I’ve been flipping back and forth between both of them —trying to figure out which was the Paid App… I’m confused—I was thinking it was the Multi destination one— but I guess THAT is the free one… I want to delete the Free one—and learn intimately the Paid/better/more depth one.
Please clarify “which is which” App.. I want to love the App.. recommended by many… but now I’m just 🤪🫣🤪frustrated. Thx!

Thank you…
I initially got the free app… can you clarify-the free App is the one with All the guides -correct?
Then I purchased the CF—but honestly— I’ve been flipping back and forth between both of them —trying to figure out which was the Paid App… I’m confused—I was thinking it was the Multi destination one— but I guess THAT is the free one… I want to delete the Free one—and learn intimately the Paid/better/more depth one.
Please clarify “which is which” App.. I want to love the App.. recommended by many… but now I’m just 🤪🫣🤪frustrated. Thx!
Yes, the one with many routes is the free one (All Caminos).
The one that has a lot more descriptive text is the paid, route specific app.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, the one with many routes is the free one (All Caminos).
The one that has a lot more descriptive text is the paid, route specific app.
I think I’m getting a feel fit the App.
I thought I could choose my starting destination (Sarri)- and somehow it got highlighted or something… I keep needing to look for it every time I open the App..(maybe a future feature?) generally now I scroll all the way down to Santiago— then scroll up (at about -130kms or so)/ but have the ability would be nice.
I’d like to look at Sarri then (as I am planning on doing) “flag-highlight-Star” in someway.. my potential daily routes.. and then play with it.
Let me understand WHAT Wise Pilgrim App does… {I’d rather do it HERE..I’m not trying to “slam” your app and make you look bad… so I don’t want to do this as a “Review”..}
It will help me “see services down the road as I walk right?”- THAT is its main goal/value? Pls tell me -what you want Wise Pilgrim to do for Pilgrims? Plenty of ppl recommend the App—so I bought it.. maybe I’m just not understanding it’s functionality and how it should be used..{currently deleting the free one} thx!

@SFHoneybee - there are other Camino apps that you can try if Wise Pilgrim doesn't suit you. None of them are perfect for everyone though.

I think I’m getting a feel fit the App.
I thought I could choose my starting destination (Sarri)- and somehow it got highlighted or something… I keep needing to look for it every time I open the App..(maybe a future feature?) generally now I scroll all the way down to Santiago— then scroll up (at about -130kms or so)/ but have the ability would be nice.
I’d like to look at Sarri then (as I am planning on doing) “flag-highlight-Star” in someway.. my potential daily routes.. and then play with it.
Let me understand WHAT Wise Pilgrim App does… {I’d rather do it HERE..I’m not trying to “slam” your app and make you look bad… so I don’t want to do this as a “Review”..}
It will help me “see services down the road as I walk right?”- THAT is its main goal/value? Pls tell me -what you want Wise Pilgrim to do for Pilgrims? Plenty of ppl recommend the App—so I bought it.. maybe I’m just not understanding it’s functionality and how it should be used..{currently deleting the free one} thx!
Fear not, you would need to try a great deal harder to make me feel 'slammed'.

The apps have changed a bit in the last 6 months, and the addition of the All Caminos app has made the experience a bit more confusing, but I think it will all start to make a bit more sense with the next updates. There will always be a difference in the content, but the two should behave fairly similarly.

The 'highlight' ability you mention is on the way, I am testing the code now and hope to publish it next week. It will allow you to swipe (replacing the current long-press) to select your start as well as to add a place to your favorites. This will work for both the places and the accommodation, and there will also be the ability to filter the view based on starred items. And, thanks to a message from another pilgrim on the forum, I will also try to get those starred places to show a colored line in the elevation profile as well, giving you a good idea of what the terrain between two points looks like more easily.

The app should show you the services just as well as any other. I will say though that the user experience was thought out from the perspective of a pilgrim ON the trail. As such, that 'target' icon in the upper right is not as useful to someone in Wisconsin for example. When you are on the camino it will prove much more useful, to scroll through that long list of cities to your current location, or to do the same for the elevation profile, or to zoom to your location on a map.

ALL apps, starting with the next update, will also have a better 'about' section… including a brief video that points out some of the more handy features.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Fear not, you would need to try a great deal harder to make me feel 'slammed'.

The apps have changed a bit in the last 6 months, and the addition of the All Caminos app has made the experience a bit more confusing, but I think it will all start to make a bit more sense with the next updates. There will always be a difference in the content, but the two should behave fairly similarly.

The 'highlight' ability you mention is on the way, I am testing the code now and hope to publish it next week. It will allow you to swipe (replacing the current long-press) to select your start as well as to add a place to your favorites. This will work for both the places and the accommodation, and there will also be the ability to filter the view based on starred items. And, thanks to a message from another pilgrim on the forum, I will also try to get those starred places to show a colored line in the elevation profile as well, giving you a good idea of what the terrain between two points looks like more easily.

The app should show you the services just as well as any other. I will say though that the user experience was thought out from the perspective of a pilgrim ON the trail. As such, that 'target' icon in the upper right is not as useful to someone in Wisconsin for example. When you are on the camino it will prove much more useful, to scroll through that long list of cities to your current location, or to do the same for the elevation profile, or to zoom to your location on a map.

ALL apps, starting with the next update, will also have a better 'about' section… including a brief video that points out some of the more handy features.
Thank you… 🥊🥊🥊like I said.. I just wanted it as “constructive feedback “-/ I’m looking forward to the updates.👍👍

The 'highlight' ability you mention is on the way, I am testing the code now and hope to publish it next week. It will allow you to swipe (replacing the current long-press) to select your start as well as to add a place to your favorites.
Can you keep this feature as an alternative for us oldtimer dinosaurs? And a video tutorial as an another menu entry would be an enhanced value to the app...

Can you keep this feature as an alternative for us oldtimer dinosaurs? And a video tutorial as an another menu entry would be an enhanced value to the app...
I promise that the swipe feature is easy to use, easier even than the previous LongPress. It is available now for iOS, in a few hours for Android; for the All Caminos app. It will be available next Monday for the full apps.
To prove it, here is a small video. It is as simple as swiping left to either set the starting point or add a favorite place (your end of day for example), and the whole list can then be filtered for more compact viewing.

View attachment 372AB4BF-AB89-4FC5-BFA6-5605026C1FEB.MOV

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I promise that the swipe feature is easy to use, easier even than the previous LongPress. It is available now for iOS, in a few hours for Android; for the All Caminos app. It will be available next Monday for the full apps.
To prove it, here is a small video. It is as simple as swiping left to either set the starting point or add a favorite place (your end of day for example), and the whole list can then be filtered for more compact viewing.

View attachment 144634
I don't see a video - just a progress bar for a video.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@wisepilgrim
I must be clueless (please just consider this free UI testing —I’m prob your target audience too—haha)
-I went to the Paid Frances App -this feature isn’t there yet?
-I saw this “slide and 💜feature IOS” Lacavolla was my last town before Camino de Santiago—but it doesn’t let me “slide and 💜Camino de Santiago “- I thought because..THAT’s where we are all headed.. but the I looked at my 💜, places—and Camino de Santiago wasn’t included on the list?”( but I couldn’t seem to “slide and add it?)
-I thought on the App… I could say..”Today I want to walk 18 or 23 kms.. “—and I was able to see that on the App and I could plan out my own route… now I’m just doing the “I’m daily math in my head😵‍💫”- thx!

@wisepilgrim
I must be clueless (please just consider this free UI testing —I’m prob your target audience too—haha)
-I went to the Paid Frances App -this feature isn’t there yet?
-I saw this “slide and 💜feature IOS” Lacavolla was my last town before Camino de Santiago—but it doesn’t let me “slide and 💜Camino de Santiago “- I thought because..THAT’s where we are all headed.. but the I looked at my 💜, places—and Camino de Santiago wasn’t included on the list?”( but I couldn’t seem to “slide and add it?)
-I thought on the App… I could say..”Today I want to walk 18 or 23 kms.. “—and I was able to see that on the App and I could plan out my own route… now I’m just doing the “I’m daily math in my head😵‍💫”- thx!
I should have clarified, the video above is the All Caminos free app. The swipe is coming to the paid apps this week. In the meantime you can tap and hold on a city, which is the old way to set your starting point.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's almost like the users of the "All Caminos" app are beta testers for the paid version, allowing new features to be tuned, tested and improved before inclusion in the paid "single route" apps.
Not deliberately, but yes. Most years I stop adding new features in the Spring because I fear introducing a breaking change to an app that is actively being used. I limit the updates to known bug fixes and changes in the content.

The tools I use and the skills I have acquired in the last few years have allowed me to venture beyond the usual limits though, and the All Caminos app helps with that. I do test all of the new features before I publish an update in all cases but it is true that it is easier to deploy them first with the free app. All of this is good, because I have a healthy list of features I would like to add!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.