• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Woman Pilgrim from Galicia - 4th century AD - off to Palestine

amorfati1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2014_Caminho Portuguese (Lisboa to Santiago_4 weeks in May)
yes indeed - you have read that right ....
found out about it very recently via a link a friend shared with me (I have kind and indulging friends who are quite aware of my "peregrinphila" :)
Around 385 CE, a Galician woman named EGERIA visited the Holy Land/Palestine, walking from Sinai through Arabia into Palestine. She sent written word to a circle of friends and believers back home detailing her pilgrimage and adventures. not sure if she was a nun or not - haven't read all of it yet, but it might be especially interesting for pilgrimage history buffs (which i am not) on this forum?!

published in 1919 in london -
http://www.ccel.org/m/mcclure/etheria/etheria.htm
same info on a different link:
http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/egeria/pilgrimage/pilgrimage.html

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fascinating. Thanks-- this would make her a possible contemporary of Augustine and the Gallician bishop Priscillian (The latter whose remains may actually be those found in Santiago and not those of James the Apostle).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Fascinating! Thank you. Very early ! Just a little later, in 432 AD, Eudoxia built a church in Rome to house the chains that supposedly held St Peter - her mother got them from the Bishop of Jerusalem. The church is St Peter in Chains. So there was a lively exchange of objects and presumably lots of pilgrims by then.
Maggie Ramsay
(The Italian Camino - Amazon)

yes indeed - you have read that right ....
found out about it very recently via a link a friend shared with me (I have kind and indulging friends who are quite aware of my "peregrinphila" :)
Around 385 CE, a Galician woman named EGERIA visited the Holy Land/Palestine, walking from Sinai through Arabia into Palestine. She sent written word to a circle of friends and believers back home detailing her pilgrimage and adventures. not sure if she was a nun or not - haven't read all of it yet, but it might be especially interesting for pilgrimage history buffs (which i am not) on this forum?!
Hola - great link. So small question - is the book available to purchase (as a hard copy)??

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, there is also a newer (1996) edition of this book available, the version I have is bilingual, Spanish/Latin, here the information:

Agustin Arce
Itinerario de la Virgen Egeria
Biblioteca de autores cristianos
ISBN 84-7914-219-7

Hope that helps somebody, SY

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back