• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Woman Traveling solo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all!
How you can travel solo to Camino de Santiago ?Do we have to booked the hostales/hotel ahed of time. What if I don’t get the place on time or take me more time to get to the other stage? Will u always be around people? I’m a bit afraid if I feel alone

Hi and welcome here on this forum. You will find a wealth of information . Do take the time to browse through this forum. There is a search option in the right upper corner where you can type in some keywords.

First of all the stages described in the guides and apps are not written in stone. Especially on the Camino Francés there is more than enough choice for albergues and private places " in between " the stages.
Most of us walk solo/ sola and rest assured you will not feel alone on the Francés.
Some people will book the first days out of Saint-Jean-Pied-de- Port ( if you start there ) till Pamplona to be sure but then you will be ok.
There might be some bottlenecks around Semana Santa but it is all manageable.

Happy planning.

Hi all!
How you can travel solo to Camino de Santiago ?Do we have to booked the hostales/hotel ahed of time. What if I don’t get the place on time or take me more time to get to the other stage? Will u always be around people? I’m a bit afraid if I feel alone
Welcome.
You will not be alone; there are 100.000's walking the Camino Frances each year.
Relax about accomodation. Book ahead if you are anxious. After 1 week you will know how to continue. It is easy, really.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks so much for getting back. So I don’t need to be part of a tour group the 1st going there,? I just don’t want to miss the historical points or the important places with history, I know the most important for this walk is enjoying the flow and be yourself. What I should do to get the most of this walk? I have read a lot on this forum. and it seems all talk knowing exactly what they need to do - have with many experiences. I have not find yet any tips for beginners.
Thanks

Thanks so much for getting back. So I don’t need to be part of a tour group the 1st going there,? I just don’t want to miss the historical points or the important places with history, I know the most important for this walk is enjoying the flow and be yourself. What I should do to get the most of this walk? I have read a lot on this forum. and it seems all talk knowing exactly what they need to do - have with many experiences. I have not find yet any tips for beginners.
Thanks

Really, do not stress too much. There is no right and wrong when it comes to walking a pilgrimage.
" To get the most " out of this walk? That is so subjective. Can mean so many things for so many people.
Trust me, lots of us still don't have a clue, even after many Caminos because every Camino is different.

Again , take your time!

To get an idea about the historic importance of the Camino I can recommend this book.

Much depends on the route you will be walking, the time of year, type of accomodation you prefer, and fitness. If you are doing the Frances, it would be advisable to book the first few days, starting at a moderate pace of walking, In this case you would book a night in St. Jean, Orrisson, Roncevalles, Zubiri, and Pamplona. This will eliminate any stress of accomodation and set you up for success by acclimating your body to back to back days of hiking. Again, you may need to provide a little more information in order to get some feedback on your questions. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi and welcome here on this forum. You will find a wealth of information . Do take the time to browse through this forum. There is a search option in the right upper corner where you can type in some keywords.

First of all the stages described in the guides and apps are not written in stone. Especially on the Camino Francés there is more than enough choice for albergues and private places " in between " the stages.
Most of us walk solo/ sola and rest assured you will not feel alone on the Francés.
Some people will book the first days out of Saint-Jean-Pied-de- Port ( if you start there ) till Pamplona to be sure but then you will be ok.
There might be some bottlenecks around Semana Santa but it is all manageable.

Happy planning.
Forgot to thanks for the tip of using this forum 👍

Much depends on the route you will be walking, the time of year, type of accomodation you prefer, and fitness. If you are doing the Frances, it would be advisable to book the first few days, starting at a moderate pace of walking, In this case you would book a night in St. Jean, Orrisson, Roncevalles, Zubiri, and Pamplona. This will eliminate any stress of accomodation and set you up for success by acclimating your body to back to back days of hiking. Again, you may need to provide a little more information in order to get some feedback on your questions. Buen Camino!
Thinking to do it this October 16. Thank you! Thank you

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are many beginners on the Camino. You'll find other men and women walking alone. In fact being alone means you aren't having to think about or deal with anyone's needs but your own. Walk your own pace and don't worry about keeping up with everyone else. On my first Camino it was 5 days to Pamplona for me. I don't walk fast and was not under time pressure as others may be.

Certain times of the year are more busy starting from St Jean (April/May and September) if you start from Sarria July and August are very busy times.

On my first Camino I did book a first night in St Jean and a second in Orrison. After that we only reserved in places we knew we wanted to stay. Many people get anxious about "knowing where they will sleep", but not everyone. You will find your own rhythm and it doesn't have to the same as everyone else's.

Last edited:
Thinking to do it this October 16. Thank you! Thank you
In October there will be no need to book ahead - but if you are starting from St Jean you will probably want to book Orrison or Borda for the first night. Perhaps consider booking through to, but not including, Pamplona.

You may be setting out alone; but you’ll be with other people.

Thanks
I suggest The Moon Santiago de Compostela book by Beebe Bahrami. You can find it on Amazon I think. A different kind of guidebook that includes those special things YOU don’t want to miss. I suggest reading it before you travel and to bring it along for the pilgrimage too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In October there will be no need to book ahead - but if you are starting from St Jean you will probably want to book Orrison or Borda for the first night. Perhaps consider booking through to, but not including, Pamplona.

You may be setting out alone; but you’ll be with other people.
Orrison may be closing around that time, so that needs to be checked. Otherwise, October is a wonderful month to walk. Still, plenty of people without a bed race…
If the OP is looking for some cultural info about sites not to miss, I believe the Brierley guide will have a synopsis on some notable places.

When I joined this forum in 2015, I was also brand new and knew very little about the Camino except for the history of it. I joined a couple of FB groups too, that were just for women and read everything I could.
There are apps you can download, guide books to buy and read.
Ask any questions you might have, or maybe do a search first to see if someone else has asked it?

If you are not used to walking, you may want to go even slower than what has been suggested. There are towns to stop at between Roncesvalles and Zubiri and Pamplona, meaning you only need to walk 15km or less those first few days. Do plan on stopping at Borda or Orisson on your 1st night after leaving SJPDP. You should reserve this ahead of time though.

Orrison may be closing around that time, so that needs to be checked. Otherwise, October is a wonderful month to walk. Still, plenty of people without a bed race…
If the OP is looking for some cultural info about sites not to miss, I believe the Brierley guide will have a synopsis on some notable places.
Apparently, Orrison closes on October 15… so Borda perhaps?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Also a sola. First Camino wa last year and although I planned to walk only the CF, I ended up moving to the CN due to heat and fires. That involved logistics outside of the albergues. Nevertheless, all went well. Bring your common sense with you and you'll be fine. As others have said, there's no wrong way to do this and whatever you see will be wonderful.

"I just don’t want to miss the historical points or the important places with history," -- it doesn't matter if you do. Make a list of what you think you missed and take it with you next time. There's always a "next time". The Camino Francés is addictive, at least in my experience, more addictive than the others I've walked (see below). Anyone could spend a week in Pamplona, Burgos, or León, and still not see everything they wanted to see. Even stuff you didn't miss, you will enjoy seeing again.

Thanks
What should you do to get the most out of this walk? I think it depends on what you are looking for. But I think you have already answered yourself with "enjoying the flow and be yourself". If you don't want to miss the historical points or the important places with history, and you are walking the Camino Frances, I highly recommend getting a copy of Gitlitz and Davidson's The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: A Complete Cultural Handbook (also available as an ebook, and recommended above by SabsP). There really is nothing else as good for this information. Many guidebooks will also give this information, as well as information about the routes, places to sleep, etc. The Brierley guidebooks are probably the most popular English-language guidebooks, but there are a number of others. There is a Village to Village series, Cicerone publishes a number of guidebooks, and a number of people like the Moon guidebook to the Frances by Beebe Bahrami. Many people just use apps. The Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps are popular. The Gronze app (in Spanish, but most web browsers will translate) is also very popular. Most people use it for its information about places to stay, but if you go to the "Al Loro (to the parrot)" tab, there is information about historical points and things not to miss.

All you really need to do is keep walking every day (except rest days).

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked alone a couple months ago and loved it! The Camino will provide you with people if you need them, solitude if you prefer. I booked ahead the first few days and did short stages because I wasn’t sure how the walking would be. After I got to Spain, then I booked ahead a few nights. That way I never had to worry if I would get a bed! I used Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps and the Gronze website. Buen camino!

I suggest The Moon Santiago de Compostela book by Beebe Bahrami. You can find it on Amazon I think. A different kind of guidebook that includes those special things YOU don’t want to miss. I suggest reading it before you travel and to bring it along for the pilgrimage too.
Yes the Moon travel guide has all sorts of historical and cultural background.
Also it highlights many of the smaller villages for F and A.

Traveling solo to the Camino de Santiago is a great way to meet new people. You can book your accommodation in advance, just like I did during the peak season, but it's less likely that you'll have trouble finding a place to stay. If you don't make it to the next stage in time, be flexible with your schedule. There are usually plenty of pilgrims who are willing to help, so don't be afraid to ask for help.

You will always be around people on the Camino. There are typically other pilgrims staying at your hostel, eating at the same restaurants, and walking the same trails. However, there will be times when you are alone, and that's okay. It's a good opportunity to reflect on your journey and enjoy the peace and quiet.
Hi all!
How you can travel solo to Camino de Santiago? Do we have to booked the hostales/hotel ahed of time. What if I don’t get the place on time or take me more time to get to the other stage? Will u always be around people? I’m a bit afraid if I feel alone

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all!
How you can travel solo to Camino de Santiago? Do we have to booked the hostales/hotel ahed of time. What if I don’t get the place on time or take me more time to get to the other stage? Will u always be around people? I’m a bit afraid if I feel alone
I am currently a woman on the Camino alone ( started in Burgos ten days ago). I am 70 and so not particularly scary or desirable. I haven’t had a problem and people have been very kind. I speak 180 days worth of Duolingo Spanish. Which is to say I can come up with a sentence about ten minutes after I need it. My first language is English and most people can communicate with it. As to booking ahead, that is your choice. I have done both and haven’t had a problem just showing up where my bag was sent and getting a room. I hope this helps.

Relax:

Week 1: All is uncertain, but goes well.
Week 2: You know how it works, and you are much more relaxed.
Week 3 and on: You are in Zen mode: You know it all, and the Camino is a piece of cake.

Just relax; It is much easier than you worry about.
Thank you!
I am currently a woman on the Camino alone ( started in Burgos ten days ago). I am 70 and so not particularly scary or desirable. I haven’t had a problem and people have been very kind. I speak 180 days worth of Duolingo Spanish. Which is to say I can come up with a sentence about ten minutes after I need it. My first language is English and most people can communicate with it. As to booking ahead, that is your choice. I have done both and haven’t had a problem just showing up where my bag was sent and getting a room. I hope this helps.
Wow! I hope when I get to your age I have the energy and health to do what are doing now 👏🏃‍♀️thanks it makes me feel more comfortable to go by myself

Hi there! You don't need to be a part of a group to start, and you can choose which city is the best starting point for you, depending on how many days you have for your trip.
Saint Jean, pamplona, burgos, Leon, Astorga and Sarria are popular starting places with train/bus connection to other places, if you are coming from outside of Spain. I'd suggest looking at a Spanish map to see where they are and consider you travel ideas :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Many pilgrims talk about Gronze guidance- it seems it provides all the info what is the best way to use this guide?

Many pilgrims talk about Gronze guidance- it seems it provides all the info what is the best way to use this guide?
I'm not sure what you are asking. Gronze is a Spanish website chock full of Camino information. The page for each stage has several tabs at the top - Albergues - Recorrido - Al Loro, or in English Hostels - Route - To the Parrot. The Al Loro/To the Parrot section is a summary of the most interesting things to know before starting the stage: Off-the-record information, suggestions, advice, warnings, observations. The site is only in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will translate to English or the language of your choice.

Thanks
Hi @Mmgomez4 - have a click on my profile and read some of my posts if you like. I have asked a lot of questions for new people like myself, and the members here have given very helpful answers.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"I just don’t want to miss the historical points or the important places with history," -- it doesn't matter if you do. Make a list of what you think you missed and take it with you next time. There's always a "next time". The Camino Francés is addictive, at least in my experience, more addictive than the others I've walked (see below). Anyone could spend a week in Pamplona, Burgos, or León, and still not see everything they wanted to see. Even stuff you didn't miss, you will enjoy seeing again.
Thank you !!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I used it for the profile maps (to plan shorter days when I knew my knee was going to complain more); recommendations and WhatsApp numbers for albergues; looking at photos of the different sections; and the miscellaneous info under the Loro section. I also used two apps: Wise Pilgrim (the creator of this app is a member of this forum, and very plugged in to Pilgrim needs and feedback) and Buen Camino. Both apps have maps to keep you on the right track.

This is so helpful :) I haven’t been able to get totally clear on sending the bag to the next room

Did you just pick a spot without booking for the next night and have the bag sent there?

I’ve read so many conflicting comments saying if you don’t book they’ll reject the bag; or might leave it outside?

I was hoping to just wing it day by day but definitely wanted me bag sent to the next town each day haha! Just not sure how to know I won’t lose it without a pre booking 😀

I’ve read so many conflicting comments saying if you don’t book they’ll reject the bag; or might leave it outside?
People do send their bags to places where they don't have reservations, but I don't think that it's right to expect a place where you aren't planning to stay to watch over your bag for you.
I was hoping to just wing it day by day but definitely wanted me bag sent to the next town each day haha!
You can't really "wing it" if you are having your backpack sent to a specific town, can you? I would recommend making a reservation at the place where you send the bag.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Really, do not stress too much. There is no right and wrong when it comes to walking a pilgrimage.
" To get the most " out of this walk? That is so subjective. Can mean so many things for so many people.
Trust me, lots of us still don't have a clue, even after many Caminos because every Camino is different.

Again , take your time!

To get an idea about the historic importance of the Camino I can recommend this book.
For me when I went alone 2 years ago. I couldn’t speak Spanish and I am some what challenged when it comes to reading maps and following directions. But I persisted and overcame my fears and found I had a lot strengths.

One tip for beginners is to pay attention to the markers. If you are unsure how to leave to start the next stage. Do a practice walk after dinner.

I found this invaluable when I was leaving at 5am in the dark. I could recognize landmarks and markers
But don’t forget to smile. Don’t be afraid to engage with people. They are truly wonderful. They know why you’re there and respect that. As the saying goes. “The Camino will give you what you need”

What should you do to get the most out of this walk? I think it depends on what you are looking for. But I think you have already answered yourself with "enjoying the flow and be yourself". If you don't want to miss the historical points or the important places with history, and you are walking the Camino Frances, I highly recommend getting a copy of Gitlitz and Davidson's The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: A Complete Cultural Handbook (also available as an ebook, and recommended above by SabsP). There really is nothing else as good for this information. Many guidebooks will also give this information, as well as information about the routes, places to sleep, etc. The Brierley guidebooks are probably the most popular English-language guidebooks, but there are a number of others. There is a Village to Village series, Cicerone publishes a number of guidebooks, and a number of people like the Moon guidebook to the Frances by Beebe Bahrami. Many people just use apps. The Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps are popular. The Gronze app (in Spanish, but most web browsers will translate) is also very popular. Most people use it for its information about places to stay, but if you go to the "Al Loro (to the parrot)" tab, there is information about historical points and things not to miss.

All you really need to do is keep walking every day (except rest days).
Definitely Gitlitz and Davidson, and it's available on Kindle, too, if you don't want to lug around a book.

Hilarious comment about finding the sentence late.. Ha
I will be hiking the CP alone late Sept. '24. Wondering which company you are using for bag transfer? What is the policy if you don't make it to the drop off site for some reason? Injury, tired, sore feet, etc.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is so helpful :) I haven’t been able to get totally clear on sending the bag to the next room

Did you just pick a spot without booking for the next night and have the bag sent there?

I was hoping to just wing it day by day but definitely wanted me bag sent to the next town each day haha! Just not sure how to know I won’t lose it without a pre booking 😀
A lot of albergues don't accept bags. I met a group of friends who had a group member with a bad injury, who couldn't carry a bag anymore. They'd sent that bag ahead to a place that they'd actually made a reservation and everything. But the owner got so mad at them for using a baggage transport service (and not being "real pilgrims") that he refused to let any of them stay there when they arrived. THEY were being very gracious about this turn of events, but it was pretty nasty of that owner. The town had no more beds in it, and they all had to pitch in to carry their friend's backpack to the next one and hope for the best.

Thanks
I went solo in 2017. Never regretted it. Always opportunities to walk with people you e met the night before in the albergues. Will be going again and absolutely solo again.

Hilarious comment about finding the sentence late.. Ha
I will be hiking the CP alone late Sept. '24. Wondering which company you are using for bag transfer? What is the policy if you don't make it to the drop off site for some reason? Injury, tired, sore feet, etc.
I am using the Transporte service. I haven’t had any troubles sending the bag. You put 6 euros in the envelope, write your name and carefully print the name of the albergue and the town where you want it dropped off and leave it where your current albergue host says to before 8am. There are always other bags being shipped too. I have never heard anyone say you aren’t a real pilgrim or heard of any albergue host refusing to accept a bag. The one time I sent it to a Refugio that didn’t take bags ( I don’t know why but there was no real driveway to the place so I think it was just that the van couldn’t get into that area), the host walked me over to where my bag had been dropped off and carried it back for me. I am surprised at the described outburst of the albergue host and 16 days in, I have never heard anyone, pilgrim or albergue host comment about real vs. not real pilgrims. If you are blind and use audio books does that mean you aren’t a “real” reader? Doesn’t make sense to me. Hope I am not offending.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi all!
You will rarely be on your own. I walked solo from SJPP In April/May of this year taking 43 days to reach Santiago. During my Camino I lost sight of other Pilgrims perhaps 5 times at most. It’s one of the many things I loved. I journeyed on my own but was never alone. Happy trails.

You will rarely be on your own. I walked solo from SJPP In April/May of this year taking 43 days to reach Santiago. During my Camino I lost sight of other Pilgrims perhaps 5 times at most. It’s one of the many things I loved. I journeyed on my own but was never alone. Happy trails.
43 days wow!! what walk journey

I speak 180 days worth of Duolingo Spanish. Which is to say I can come up with a sentence about ten minutes after I need it.
Haha! My problem too! I'm up to 58 days (potentially another 200 extra days before CF). I'm practicing my Spanish on a Portuguese speaking lady at work (the closest I can find, not much language diversity where I come from).

I often think up a good sentence 5 minutes after the fact! :rolleyes:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all!
"The Camino Will Provide" is a statement that I always went back to. I hiked El Camino Frances in 2017 in it's entirety alone at age 64. I never had any worries of not having a place to stay. I missed 2 places because I hiked farther than I thought I would and arrived too late to secure a place. I ended up in a community albergue at one place and I hiked a bit further to another stop and found a lovely place to stay. If you arrive at your destination late afternoon but not after 5;)) you should be ok. It all seemed to work out. I loved the freedom of going as far as I wanted each day. I used the weather as my guide. For example if it was pouring rain I would stop. Buen Camino

Haha! My problem too! I'm up to 58 days (potentially another 200 extra days before CF). I'm practicing my Spanish on a Portuguese speaking lady at work (the closest I can find, not much language diversity where I come from).

I often think up a good sentence 5 minutes after the fact! :rolleyes:

You're doing better than me!
I'm very bad at study, but will put in more effort for next time.

I soon learned a few handy phrases though, as locals would often ask me.......

"where are you from"
"where did you start your Camino"
"Where are you going"
"How many days have you been walking"

"How old are you" (usually from the older guys sitting around in the village) :rolleyes:
Followed by glances at each other that seemed like..........crap, he's almost as old as us!

As well as Duolingo, I try to learn a few handy phrases that I know I'll need.
I keep them on a list on my phone.

My daily use 'survival' phrases.......

Can I book a bed/room for 1 person for tonight, tomorrow night etc

And on checking in...........

Hello my name is Roberto, I have a booking for tonight
If there somewhere I can wash my clothes?
Do you serve breakfast .........what time?
Is there somewhere I can buy lunch/dinner?
Do you have a menu del dia?
If there a farmacia nearby?
Is there a shop open nearby?

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You're doing better than me!
I'm very bad at study, but will put in more effort for next time.

I soon learned a few handy phrases though, as locals would often ask me.......

"where are you from"
"where did you start your Camino"
"Where are you going"
"How many days have you been walking"

"How old are you" (usually from the older guys sitting around in the village) :rolleyes:
Followed by glances at each other that seemed like..........crap, he's almost as old as us!

As well as Duolingo, I try to learn a few handy phrases that I know I'll need.
I keep them on a list on my phone.

My daily use 'survival' phrases.......

Can I book a bed/room for 1 person for tonight, tomorrow night etc

And on checking in...........

Hello my name is Roberto, I have a booking for tonight
If there somewhere I can wash my clothes?
Do you serve breakfast .........what time?
Is there somewhere I can buy lunch/dinner?
Do you have a menu del dia?
If there a farmacia nearby?
Is there a shop open nearby?
I forgot to mention that my first language is Spanish so at least it’d less to be worried 😊. Love all the advise though

I am a woman travelling solo on the caminos and never had a problem. I love being able to fend for myself and to communicate in a language that I only have the basics, but am able to get by. I often stop to chat to the ladies in those remote villages, and they ask me aren't I scared to do it alone? I guess that when I stop to think about it, sharing a dorm room with a group of strangers is quite a bizarre concept, but there is generally so much comaraderie and sense of shared purpose.

The only time I ever felt uneasy was in the public albergue in Gradefes on the Camino Vadiniense. It's unstaffed and you get the key from a bar in town. When I arrived, there was no one else staying there. I chose my bed in one of the 3 shared rooms, showered, did my pilgrim chores and made dinner. As it approached bedtime, I got more and more nervous about whether anyone else should arrive. There was no lock on the bedroom door and the thought of a stranger turning up and sharing that space with me with no else in earshot worried me. It was such a shame as this did spoil the experience of such a lovely place for me. I was so appreciative of what they had done there and their thoughfulness, ie buy a flat to convert it into an albergue with everything that a pilgrim may need, including clean sheets for the beds, a fully functioning kitchen and washing machine, just for 5€. Sadly, I just couldn't help but feel vulnerable in such a situation as a lone female.

Thanks for your handy lines @Robo. I must learn them! Sounds like these have been very practical for you. The amount of times Duolingo has taught me how to ask for a salad *eye roll*, I'm thinking let's get onto the useful stuff!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Again , take your time!

That book is excellent! But... on the cover is a woman walking in jeans. That is a no no! Jeans are heavy and even heavier and slow to dry if they get wet.

I will be a bit scared to be completely alone , but if all of you said it is okay and safe and never get lost I think I will be okay 🫣

I will be a bit scared to be completely alone , but if all of you said it is okay and safe and never get lost I think I will be okay 🫣
O Cebreiro is a very special place to start, it's one of the oldest villages on the trail! And you will not be alone- there are always lots of other pilgrims on the Camino Frances.

The route is indeed safe and very well marked with yellow arrows. You should have no problems following it, specially if Spanish is your first language!

It's OK to be a bit nervous before going, but once you are there, you will see it's a very welcoming environment (despite being physically challenging sometimes).

That book is excellent! But... on the cover is a woman walking in jeans. That is a no no! Jeans are heavy and even heavier and slow to dry if they get wet.
The authors were taking student groups along the Camino in the 70s. Expectations of pilgrim attire were different back then. I expect when I walked my first Camino somewhat later (only 34 years ago), I was wearing jeans, too.

It's not a book to go to for advice on how to walk a Camino, or where to stay, or where you will find water fountains or bank machines. It is about the things you will see that have been there for centuries.

I met several pilgrims in jeans, also on my most recent Camino this year. Jeans might not be the quickest to dry and maybe heavier but I understand people that just walk in their regular clothes. Be it because they need to be frugal or be it that they are just comfy with the jeans.

Jeans might not be the quickest to dry and maybe heavier but I understand people that just walk in their regular clothes.
I walk in the same clothes and boots that I wear daily at home. That means that unless I have to dress formally I will almost always be wearing lightweight hiking trousers with plenty of zipped pockets and fabric walking boots. I haven't worn jeans in decades!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walk solo on Camino and en Chemin, have never had any problems, and of course, you are almost never without companions, if you want them.
And, I walk in a walking skirt/skort. My preference by far. Personally, I would never walk in jeans. Or shorts - but for different reasons.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back