• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo walkers - what kinds of food do you buy at grocery stores?

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
It's nice taking a break from eating in bars and restaurants and buying some self-serve food in a grocery store. It can also (theoretically) be a money-saver.

However, I struggled with finding things to buy that are suitable for one person to have lunch or dinner. I would generally end up buying a baguette and the smallest package of jambon I could find, plus a tomato or two, but that's pretty boring. I also managed to find some small yogurt cups that were sold as singles. But generally most things were too big to be eaten by one person in one meal (I wasn't keen on carrying around a bunch of half-eaten food). Or the cost of buying all the ingredients was more expensive than simply going to a bar to eat.

So for those of you that walk alone, what sorts of things would you buy to eat at supermarkets? As a solo pilgrim were you able to eat more cheaply at a supermarket than a bar/cafe?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I buy packaged single serving salads that usually have chicken or other protein in them. In a Mercadona I bought a package near those salads to make chicken wraps with flour tortillas, veggies, sauce, etc. The larger supermarkets have a pretty good selection of individual microwaveable meals in the refrigerated section.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
OMG. this is a dream thread. You have a knife and a spoon? Here we go. 1) Garbanzo beans. A glass jar (1/2) for dinner and then the next morning. A tomato. And then some fresh mozzarella (occasionally substitute goat cheese) Have salt. Turkey slices for protein. You can get like a 115 gram for cheap turkey. Broccoli and carrots. You can go for a packaged version or buy broc in a 500 gram quantity and like a single carrot or two for soooo inexpensive. On good nights get an avocado. Top it off with dark chocolate.

On my solo camino I remember carrying apples, cheese and sausages for the times a meal wasn't available.

On our duo camino it was bread, ham and cheese. This would be four lunches; two sandwiches over two days. I don't think I've ever had too much ham; on a forest fire line I overdosed on steak and I didn't have a craving for it for thirty years (though I still enjoyed it when I had it; sorry folks, you know who you are).

Top it off with dark chocolate.
That too. 😍

Last edited:
I like to get cans of tuna, single-serve yogurt like you did, rice pudding (usually sold in packs of two so one could be at dinner and one the next day, especially if there’s a fridge), rice cakes or other gluten-free bread or rolls, fruit, and some chocolate. Ensaladilla rusa and gazpacho can usually be found in smaller portions, too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I buy packaged single serving salads that usually have chicken or other protein in them. In a Mercadona I bought a package near those salads to make chicken wraps with flour tortillas, veggies, sauce, etc. The larger supermarkets have a pretty good selection of individual microwaveable meals in the refrigerated section.
Yep I had the chicken Ceasar salad from Dia a few times.

I never bothered with anything that needed heating, as I was generally shopping for lunches or early dinners, and didn't have access to a microwave.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We eat a baguette with butter, Jamon and cheese for lunch (or supper if we eat a menu del dia at lunch). Usually get a big orange or cut up a big apple to split. Sometimes get Ramen cups for supper or snack. Coffee con leche packets for morning. Cereal bars are ok. A yogurt for breakfast. Sometimes eggs. Some places sell rotisserie chicken.

I like to cook for/with other pilgrims so salad stuff, lentils, stews, pasta. As a hospitalera I have a rotation of dishes!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Olives are great snacks when you are physically active. I bring a small Tupperware box that I re-fill at markets every few days. Easy to carry, tasty and a good source of salt and fat.

I also carry a small salt / pepper (pre-mixed at home) shaker. Avocado, pocket knife, salt / pepper. Maybe some bread.

If I have an early start I get a larger bread and a (supermarket) Tortilla - half for dinner, half for breakfast on the go the next day. There's not much that's more delicious than a Tortilla sandwich with copious amounts of olive oil that soaked in the fridge overnight.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most of the times i bought my food in a bar or sat down at a restaurant. On the Frances i find it just to convenient (and as you said: it might be cheaper than buying the ingredients).
For the occasional snack i carried nuts and fruits. Sometimes a can of coke or beer as a pick-me-up. Almost always some sweets, specially Oreos (also great for sharing). Sometimes i got some bread, cheese, ham and chorizo, but the small packs are usually not the good stuff. So there is the problem with leftovers.
For evening cooking i always found other people, so that was not an issue.

But generally, i try to get some food in me in the morning, fill up at chances i get during the day and have something small with me to get me to the next place.

I tend to get a bit tired of the white Spanish bread diet after about a week.
The vast majority of Spanish supermercados and mini-mercados stock TUC biscuits. The yellow wrapper generally makes them easy to find. A 150g pack gives you more than 750kcal, so it's a great lightweight energy boost and back-up to carry, especially on lesser travelled caminos where you know you won't find a bar/shop etc in the middle of the stage (or even at the end..) - or don't know. Carry one or two packs, depending on route - and if I didn't eat them they'd last for weeks. What's more I think they taste good, and go well with cheese, hummus, olives, canned stuff, various pastes in tubes etc - even membrillo, which also lasts a long time in your pack.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Walking in late autumn/winter I always carried basic rations since the only shop or bar in town may NOT have been open! There is NO reason it should be open especially out of season!

Food basics included tea bags, packets which made a cup of soup (even including croutons), firm cheese, small sausage, simple cookies and some chocolate. Nothing heavy but enough to exist for 24 hours if need be. On past caminos especially during storms when I stopped in small and remote albergues far from any supply source novice pilgrims have often staggered in wet, cold and hungry. They may have had the best gear but carried no food.

Of course I shared; hot soup, a chunk of cheese and wedge of sausage can be ambrosia in such a setting. A smile returned by a new friend over a simple meal is one of the Camino's many joys. Next morning after the tea, cookies and chocolate for our common breakfast we would set out together. At the first open shop I would re-stock those basics and usually the other pilgrim would buy necessary provisions.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We eat a baguette with butter, Jamon and cheese for lunch (or supper if we eat a menu del dia at lunch). Usually get a big orange or cut up a big apple to split. Sometimes get Ramen cups for supper or snack. Coffee con leche packets for morning. Cereal bars are ok. A yogurt for breakfast. Sometimes eggs. Some places sell rotisserie chicken.

I like to cook for/with other pilgrims so salad stuff, lentils, stews, pasta. As a hospitalera I have a rotation of dishes!
Can you please give us a list of the dishes you prepare for/with pilgrims?!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's nice taking a break from eating in bars and restaurants and buying some self-serve food in a grocery store. It can also (theoretically) be a money-saver.

However, I struggled with finding things to buy that are suitable for one person to have lunch or dinner. I would generally end up buying a baguette and the smallest package of jambon I could find, plus a tomato or two, but that's pretty boring. I also managed to find some small yogurt cups that were sold as singles. But generally most things were too big to be eaten by one person in one meal (I wasn't keen on carrying around a bunch of half-eaten food). Or the cost of buying all the ingredients was more expensive than simply going to a bar to eat.

So for those of you that walk alone, what sorts of things would you buy to eat at supermarkets? As a solo pilgrim were you able to eat more cheaply at a supermarket than a bar/cafe?
Interesting question.

Truth is, the answer to it is extremely variable regionally.

My own personal standout items were, one, a goatmeat sausage in the Beaujolais that lasted me two weeks, and it was a rather small one -- but just *that* good.

The other, a plastic sack of carrots that had never been refrigerated and lasted me months, beyond the end of that Camino.

The second is not something you could count on at all, because refrigerated transport is pretty much impossible to avoid, but dried charcuteries, sausage, chorizo, etc are a lot more reliable.
Otherwise, cheese, peppers, tomatoes, and other foodstuffs that will not perish after just 24H.

Avocadoes and a small knife to cut it in half, sardines, hard-boiled eggs when available (huevo cocido). On my second Camino I brought a small disposable salt shaker for the avocados and eggs, plus a plastic spoon for the avocado.

Don’t forget the cartons of amazing Gazpacho Soup - nutritious, delicious, refreshing and hydrating! Meant to be drunk cold.
Just personally, unless gazpacho has been freshly prepared by a competent chef, it makes me ill. The carton variety is saturated with sugar.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have to admit that most of my meals were indeed in bars and restaurants. That said I had to rely on supermarket stuff once for dinner and at that time i bought bread, olives, sardines and Ramen noodles (I did have an access to the kitchen)

Now, that said - I've done perhaps 4-5 Jamon Iberico y Queso sandwiches (chees of course would be selected as per region), numerous times (again when i had access to the kitchen) I bought 1/2-dozen pack of eggs and hard-boiled them then put them back in that small container and had it pretty much on top of stuff in the backpack (2\day - good enough for 3 days which IMHO is about as safe as it can get... perhaps they can last more\longer but I was not chancing it)

I also pretty much always stocked up on fruits, again something that would last me 3, perhaps 4 days (small bag of apples, pack of grapes (sometimes strawberries but those I had to consume in 2 days max) cherries towards the end of my Camino) and various nuts. I think I treated myself to a KitKat bar 2-3 times :) so there is my chocolate

The thing I bought most often at supermarkets was those 1L bottles of yogurt drink.

I also liked buying mixed salad and a tin of tuna packed in olive oil and maybe a tomato and making my own ensalada mixta. In Galicia, the supermarkets often had large, inexpensive empanadas.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a full, cooked breakfast every day here in Calgary (Canada) so when available, I'd buy 6 or 12 eggs and hard boil them in the evening, sharing them with other pilgrims the next day. Also carried All Bran Buds to add to my yogurt since I found sources of fibre a little challenging to find.

Depends on season, country, region, budget, availability of food and also mood for me.

For cold lunch / dinner, a good option for me is always (almost everywhere)

-bread
-(butter)
-cheese (hard cheese when warmer temperatures)
-olives
-tomato, peppers...
-figs or melon or other fruit for dessert
- salt (!)

In France I sometimes like to have the couscous-salad (taboulé) and hummus that is available in every bigger supermarket. Also the carrot and celery salads. Ready to eat, and cheap, but only possible when a supermarket is closeby (needs to be refridgerated). French cheese of course is always great. Ratatouille from the can+bread is great emergency food.

In Spain I tend to eat more olives and also Magdalenas (instead of the fruit bread I prefer in France). More oranges than melon.

For warm food (if the albergue has a kitchen) salad and pasta with some sort of sauce. Almost everybody likes that, so it is ideal to prepare and share together with other pilgrims, and low-cost. Fruit and yogurt for dessert. Cheap and easy. Add a bottle of wine and it's perfect :)

Lentils, onion, tomato and potatoes make a nice vegetarian stew. Easy to make and nice especially on colder days.

Things that stay good for a while in the backpack, even after several days without being refridgerated:

- nuts
- dried fruit
- fruit cake
- hard cheese
- chips/crisps
- small packs of olives
- fruit like apples or melon
- vegetables like peppers, garlic, onion, potato...
- small cans (ratatouille, soup, sardines...)
- pasta
- hard boiled eggs (up to a certain temperature...)
- small packs of olive oil, vinegar, jam/marmelade...

So many options!

I've walked the "less walked" caminos (VdlP, Mozárabe, San Salvador, Primitivo, and the Via Francigena) in Feb/Mar. Often long stages w no services. Rather than bread, which is bulky and crumbly, my go-to pack food is tortillas mexicanas - which can be found almost everywhere these days - and sliced hard cheeses like gruyere or emmenthaler, which don't need to be kept cool. Roll a couple slices of cheese into a tortilla and you've got a quick, relatively nutritious snack that's easy to pack and relatively light.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Premade salads from supermarkets are good deal especially if marked down price at end of the day Dia supermarkets are good value.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

We liked to buy packaged soups to have with a fresh baguette and a salad. Sometime scrambled eggs was filling. Noodles are everywhere. During the day, bocadillo doctored up as well as the delicious olives, nuts and cheeses with fruit and chocolate.

I buy the prepackaged salads. I will put an extra can of tuna or chicken in it. I also eat sardines, and look for other canned things I can eat that are super easy and can heat in a microwave. I buy bananas, pears, valencia oranges and kiwi. I try to buy just enough for the day I am walking unless I am on a secondary camino with few services. I buy baguettes and if they have a meat counter I will get slices of turkey, ham and cheese. If there are cooking facilities I will get some chicken, or ground beef to make pasta. I always check the kitchen first to see what I have to work with, then go to the store and buy accordingly. If it is hot I will freeze a liter of water and put whatever perishables I have in my decathlon hand bag with the water and carry it. Oh yea I always have some nuts with me and a snickers bar.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

The vast majority of Spanish supermercados and mini-mercados stock TUC biscuits. The yellow wrapper generally makes them easy to find.
Ok, most of my experience comes from backpacking, I’ve only done two short Caminos to date. So:

As above. Plus, as others have mentioned, drinkable yogurt for breakfast /lunch (doesn’t need refrigeration), small tin tuna in oil, fruit- always have at least one banana and an apple, often Kiwifruit, and other seasonal fruit too (peaches etc, the easy stuff to carry.)
Chocolate, salted cashews and dried fruit are always in my backpack pockets.
The flour tortillas I use to make wrap’s, with a little supermarket ham/cheese/salad etc, or they can be spread with jams etc.
I carry a sharp knife (bought in first supermarket) and a teaspoon- for yoghurts, 🥝 etc.
If there’s a kitchen then a tin of tuna, instant noodles and a few veges- tomato, beans, zucchini, olives, etc mixed together are very tasty. Especially if you can add a little onion and garlic (small, light, lasts forever and keeps away vampires 🧛‍♂️ too!)
Super cheap, and at a pinch all you need is boiling water. (Although I prefer to cook it all).
Pasta is always an option , multiple ready made sauces available. Perhaps add a little chorizo. Or some capers/olives etc. Or grab a pot of cream, a bit of ham/ cheese/ both ( leftover from lunch) and heat gently … If I don’t want to carry the rest of the (uncooked) pasta etc, and there’s no one wanting to share (it’s never happened!) I’d leave it for the next hungry pilgrim to cook. It’s still way less than the price of a restaurant meal. Ditto microwaved scrambled eggs, (or hard boil the rest as someone else mentions). Omelette. Soup’s if cold/rainy.
Tin of beans in sauce (sorry, no idea as to the brand) add mild chorizo . Once got chilli beans in error, that and a spicy chorizo was a bit much! Had to add my breakfast yogurt to make it edible. Vanilla flavoured, it tasted a little odd….
There’s a whole lot more that I do, when the inspiration strikes….
All that said, I love joining my fellow pilgrim’s for dinner in the restaurant! But then I seldom eat the pilgrims Menu ( hey, other than that, Spanish food is great!)

BTW Home to Rome 2025 ? Same thing, standard Peroni or Moretti 1L.

What is it exactly about France that it withholds such basics?

Well, it's a wine country.
In some regions they have quite cheap 1,5l bottles of cidre though, maybe an equivalent to the 1l spanish beer bottles... I missed the cidre in the south of France.

But I have to say, even in germany you normally won't find 1l bottles of beer, and it is considered almost basic food (just like bread) here!

I forgot to mention that I always carry an emergency-can of beer in my pack. Good for morale and has lots of calories!

This is counter to your question , but here it is . It’s mostly cheaper to buy a “menu de perigrino” than buy a light dinner and carry bits and pieces in your pack . Also a cafe is a place to meet other pilgrims and sit together . That’s just me —-

The information presented in this thread is both accurate to my experience and very useful.
May I add a note that in some grocery stores, fruit is weighed, bagged, and tagged in the produce section by the customer. My limited Spanish prevents my reading signs or instructions so I messed that one up on multiple occasions. The clerks are always nice about my bumbling, but clearly frustrated that an employee must run my "four tangerines" back to the scales while customers are lined up. My best practice now is holding up my planned purchases looking confused until a kind soul takes pity on me.
Camino angels in fruit section! Perfecto!

The information presented in this thread is both accurate to my experience and very useful.
May I add a note that in some grocery stores, fruit is weighed, bagged, and tagged in the produce section by the customer. My limited Spanish prevents my reading signs or instructions so I messed that one up on multiple occasions. The clerks are always nice about my bumbling, but clearly frustrated that an employee must run my "four tangerines" back to the scales while customers are lined up. My best practice now is holding up my planned purchases looking confused until a kind soul takes pity on me.
Camino angels in fruit section! Perfecto!
In some places you must ask for the fruit and they bag it. You are not supposed to touch it, however, larger places you can get your own fruit and should mark it. This summer in a couple of places there was a machine with the scale and you had to get the number keyed in and a sticker popped up with the price.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is counter to your question , but here it is . It’s mostly cheaper to buy a “menu de perigrino” than buy a light dinner and carry bits and pieces in your pack . Also a cafe is a place to meet other pilgrims and sit together . That’s just me —-
Ummm - you must get really cheap pilgrim’s menus. A prepackaged salad is generally around €3.50, add a small bread roll or two, a piece of fruit and it’s maximum €5. (True, it’s only a light dinner, but I sometimes don’t want more,). All of my other options above - some of which are way more substantial- ditto.

I wouldn’t do it every day though, as I, too enjoy the camaraderie around the restaurant/ café table!

It’s mostly cheaper to buy a “menu de perigrino” than buy a light dinner and carry bits and pieces in your pack

It depends on what you cook/carry. If I have to I can prepare a meal for three for maybe five Euros, I doubt that a pilgrim's menu in that price range can be found anywhere. But usually 5€ for one person for dinner, you'll have a very nice meal. Most pilgrims menus start at 10€.

If you buy bread, cheese, olives, yogurt, fruit for breakfast and lunch, and then prepare a pasta dish for dinner - that's much cheaper than albergue breakfast + second breakfast in a bar because the albergue breakfast wasn't enough, plus lunch in a bar/café plus then the pilgrims menu also...

With 15€/day I can have breakfast, second breakfast, lunch and dinner (incl. wine) and still share some food with others (or carry leftovers the next day).

In some places you must ask for the fruit and they bag it. You are not supposed to touch it...
Yeah thats why I was going mostly for the already prepackaged ones (either bags of apples or plastic containers of grapes) although I'll admit that the thought of "not suppose to touch" didn't cross my mind... I just simply grabbed what seemed convenient to me

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yeah thats why I was going mostly for the already prepackaged ones (either bags of apples or plastic containers of grapes) although I'll admit that the thought of "not suppose to touch" didn't cross my mind... I just simply grabbed what seemed convenient to me
It's usually only in the very small stores that you need to ask for the fruit.

For those who worry about lack of company /comradry when preparing their own food...

No need to worry. Simply ask around the albergue who wants to join for cooking dinner. In the communal albergues with kitchens you'll almost always find others who also want to cook.

Nothing better than preparing and then eating with other pilgrims in a true communal dinner style. The more the cheaper. Cheapest meal I had with such a dinner was like 1,50€/each. The company is priceless, though.

On my second Camino I brought a small disposable salt shaker for the avocados and eggs, plus a plastic spoon for the avocado.
Do you ever lose your spoon? I do. I end up "stealing" them. Not that I condone that type of behavior... :)

As for salt, I usually carry a small ziplock bag filled about 1.5 cm (1/2 inch) from the bottom. Then I sprinkle.

Lots of good info so far.
I usually had a menu del dia around 3.30 pm. Always started with ensalata mista. I saved the bread for lunch next day - so no carrying long baguettes. I had a few zip lock bags with me for food storage.
Then early trail lunch might include some of the following
Canned sea food. - tuna and pulpo were my faves and daily fare.
Bread from night before
Fruit - apple, pear banana etc - whatever is in season
Avocado
Olives
Nuts
Single serve yogurt - buy in packs of four.
Occasionally cheese or Jamon.

As I progresses my Camino I was able to carry more food so buying options increased but in the early days I might buy a four pack of yogurt and leave two behind for other pilgrims.

Dinner was not needed or was a light snack like yogurt and banana.
Cooking dinner for one. Rare but usually included pasta, tomato, tuna/pulpo and something green.

Happy eating.

I tend to buy a half dozen eggs so I eat 3-4 for dinner that night and hardboil the rest for snacks the next day. Make up my own trail mix with M&Ms for chocolate that doesn't melt. Manchego cheese survives hot summers well. The odd canned shellfish/fish for bocadillos. Oranges. Have been known to bring pasta leftovers with me the next morning for second breakfast. Small tins of Beans. I'm a vegetarian at home but will eat jamón in Spain but I tend to buy vegetarian protein sources.

One, giant chocolate bar...

I don't walk the Caminos alone, but we often have purchased sandwich materials at the little shops along the way--butcher shop for salami or similar, shop for cheese, bakery, etc. and make our own sandwiches. We have not had any problem with spoilage. If you keep your water bladder or bottle partly frozen that might make you feel more at ease. Or if you wanted to refrigerate anything, I would think most albergues or other accommodations would be able to help you. Some people also buy small containers of olives, or sardines, and other snacks in shops or supermarkets. Incidentally, we always have a Swiss Army knife (in the checked luggage with hiking poles) for just such occasions. I have also seen small containers of salads in many delis.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Refrigerator salad in a container, a roll, individual pack of olives. Yogurt for desert.

I am avoiding processed nonnorganic foods. How possible is this in groceries and restaurants, I wonder?
Read labels? Embutidos are cured meats so you may need to avoid these snack and sandwich items. Grocery stores and fruterias are probably your best bet. Restaurants you will need to he selective.

It depends on what you cook/carry. If I have to I can prepare a meal for three for maybe five Euros, I doubt that a pilgrim's menu in that price range can be found anywhere. But usually 5€ for one person for dinner, you'll have a very nice meal. Most pilgrims menus start at 10€.

If you buy bread, cheese, olives, yogurt, fruit for breakfast and lunch, and then prepare a pasta dish for dinner - that's much cheaper than albergue breakfast + second breakfast in a bar because the albergue breakfast wasn't enough, plus lunch in a bar/café plus then the pilgrims menu also...

With 15€/day I can have breakfast, second breakfast, lunch and dinner (incl. wine) and still share some food with others (or carry leftovers the next day).
I found I was spending on average around 7€ for a simple breakfast in a bar (tortilla, coffee, OJ). Then I'd spend another 5€-10€ on drinks/snacks throughout the day. Lunches would be around 10€, and then dinner another 12€-15€. So around 40€-50€ per day on food and drink. That starts to add up over the weeks, and was my biggest cost on the CF. I'm hoping to be a bit smarter next time and bring that cost down considerably, which I think is easily doable.

I used to buy a pack of 3 mini tins of tuna and some bread and that would be a tuna sandwich. Would have loved some onion and mayonnaise with it but too much to carry. Of course there was always the good old banana, apple and orange. Almost forgot the loop of chorizo that I would hang on my backpack shoulder strap. Could slice a piece off as I walked or eat with some bread

As a vegetarian, most of my food was purchased at grocery stores: Tortilla wraps are flat, malleable, easy to pack, and can last a week or more. They can be eaten with hummus or guacamole (both of which kept for days, unrefrigerated). I also bought a very small jar of peanut butter, and would get a banana or two. I'd cut the banana in half and put it in a tortilla wrap, covered in peanut butter. I'd re-use a wash a plastic bag I'd got from buying fruit at the store, and would have "brunch" and "mid-day" meal of a peanut butter and banana wrap on the trail. Occasionally I'd buy some cheese slices, but usually only if I knew I'd be able to refrigerate them overnight. Like @DamienReynolds said, a small jar of garbanzo beans was great too, as were small pre-made salads if I could find vegetarian varieties. Last but not least, I was never without almonds in my pocket - a good snack or meal replacement when I simply couldn't find anything vegetarian and needed a pick me up.

Just personally, unless gazpacho has been freshly prepared by a competent chef, it makes me ill. The carton variety is saturated with sugar.
Not all brands...I always check the ingredients or you could always try salmorejo, which I prefer !

I tend to buy a half dozen eggs so I eat 3-4 for dinner that night and hardboil the rest for snacks the next day. Make up my own trail mix with M&Ms for chocolate that doesn't melt. Manchego cheese survives hot summers well. The odd canned shellfish/fish for bocadillos. Oranges. Have been known to bring pasta leftovers with me the next morning for second breakfast. Small tins of Beans. I'm a vegetarian at home but will eat jamón in Spain but I tend to buy vegetarian protein sources.
I hear you..... I'm a vegan at home but NEVER on the trail or camino as I crave a million things at once. I love the cheese, ham and ceriales bread in Spain and Portugal !!

I thought before I started my camino I would be buying quite a bit out of grocery stores like wine and sandwiches and snacking along the trail. But no, I just usually bought a few pieces of fruit the odd time. I realized I enjoyed eating and drinking in the bars with other pilgrims were more to my liking.

I always stock up on bananas, peanut packets and chocolate (Milka milk chocolate with hazelnuts🤩). And, I have Nestle instant coffee packets for emergency mornings when there's no coffee available.
Nothing like lukewarm coffee and a chunk chocolate bar in the predawn morning!😂

Attachments

• IMG_0900.jpeg
    IMG_0900.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
I hear you..... I'm a vegan at home but NEVER on the trail or camino as I crave a million things at once. I love the cheese, ham and ceriales bread in Spain and Portugal !!
I love that kind of flexible veganism. I respect those that stick to their guns but folks like you that step out and try the local foods are more relatable for me. I just can’t help myself but to try darn near anything.

I used to buy a pack of 3 mini tins of tuna and some bread and that would be a tuna sandwich. Would have loved some onion and mayonnaise with it but too much to carry. Of course there was always the good old banana, apple and orange. Almost forgot the loop of chorizo that I would hang on my backpack shoulder strap. Could slice a piece off as I walked or eat with some bread
Stopping in to a fast food place in the bigger cities is a great way to procure some small packets of mayo

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Stopping in to a fast food place in the bigger cities is a great way to procure some small packets of mayo
True, ditto mini packs of salt, pepper and sugar, sometimes butter too - if desired. I’ve done it for so many years that it’s just second nature, I forget to share these tips. Sometimes I just buy a drink, if I don’t fancy the food.
If a place is quiet I might just ask the staff if I can just buy a few packs ( offer a euro for . example) - occasionally they say no, normally they just give them to me.

I start with a base things that will last a couple of days in my pack. Salami, plain biscuits, hard cheese, dark chocolate, snack bars and some hard candies. Recently I have added a shelf-stable salad meal that I keep in reserve. I remove all but the necessary packaging for these before adding them to my pack.

If I can collect salt and pepper in sachets, other condiments and olive oil in PCP during the day, I will do that and have a small stash of a couple of each of these.

At the last supermarket or tienda for the day, I will shop for fruit (bananas and oranges), yoghurt, bread and fruit juice. Enough for that evening and the following morning. I will carry an orange in my pack, but don't like carrying a banana or yoghurt. If I can get a pack of three 330ml juices, I will have one in the evening, another in the morning, and one a little later. I don't want to carry these all day.

Other things depend on whether I am going to prepare my own meal, share a communal meal, or find somewhere to eat.

Yep I had the chicken Ceasar salad from Dia a few times.

I never bothered with anything that needed heating, as I was generally shopping for lunches or early dinners, and didn't have access to a microwave.
I really enjoyed the single serving salads, including the ones with pasta when I could find them. If I had a big hot lunch I would have the salad for dinner, or vice versa. They are a nice change from always eating a bocadilla no matter what I put inside them. I loved fresh squeezed orange juice, nuts, a pice of fruit...and of course chocolate.😋
I never microwaved anything.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I love that kind of flexible veganism. I respect those that stick to their guns but folks like you that step out and try the local foods are more relatable for me. I just can’t help myself but to try darn near anything.
Sometimes eating the local meat is more eco-sustainable than the speciality veg*n foods...

I tend to get a bit tired of the white Spanish bread diet after about a week.
The vast majority of Spanish supermercados and mini-mercados stock TUC biscuits. The yellow wrapper generally makes them easy to find. A 150g pack gives you more than 750kcal, so it's a great lightweight energy boost and back-up to carry, especially on lesser travelled caminos where you know you won't find a bar/shop etc in the middle of the stage (or even at the end..) - or don't know. Carry one or two packs, depending on route - and if I didn't eat them they'd last for weeks. What's more I think they taste good, and go well with cheese, hummus, olives, canned stuff, various pastes in tubes etc - even membrillo, which also lasts a long time in your pack.
No
I found a convenient fast food in Pamplona then one in Santiago. In between I found nothing. Found an arrow pointing to McDonald's (it wasn't yellow,😂) in Ponferrada but got fed up following it as I didn't seem to be getting any closer. But I still enjoyed my bread and tuna. Even at home, I love a tuna sandwich even if it is that pan excuse for bread we get in ireland

I find it so relaxing, after walking, to go to the supermarket (supermercado) and go back to wherever I'm staying, and make my own dinner. BTW - burger king is better, when you gotta do what you gotta do.

For me in France this year, it was mostly dry sausage, nuts, fresh fruit, fig newtons (a similar French product FigOla), occasional cheese. I rarely had to buy dinner in a grocery store but one night I had some quick cooking lentils, supplemented with sardines and a tomato. Garbanzos sound like a great idea to me. Oh and chocolate bars! :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On my first Camino, I discovered Pineapple Soleros when we stumbled into Foncebadon.

I had three in a row, and immediately became an addict, seeking out those Soleros wherever I could.

Never seen one since.

Yum 😋

The thing I bought most often at supermarkets was those 1L bottles of cerveza ...
Skipped beer yesterday, and it was a seriously bad idea, as I ended up having a massive pain attack in the early afternoon today, which only ended after a few cool ones.

I know my comment was a bit flippant, but those purchases are a matter of need on my part, not want.

Good morning from England Annie. I opened your blog, which looks great, but I can’t find the link to subscribe? Is this still available, if so, where will I find the link please? Kind regards, Susan
Sue, I have a Camino Santiago Planning group on Facebook and I have a YouTube page called Anniesantiago13 - as far as the blog goes, you USED to be able to put in your email address at the bottom right where it says "Follow This Blog"

I cant really give you much in terms of food ideas but I will say I've had the most amazing dinners/ lunches when buying from the supermarket and whenever I do a pasta dish I keep it vegetarian so it keeps for lunch the following day. Its also a great way to meet other pilgrims and so much cheaper. I'm off on the 6th for 2 weeks and the only plan I've made is to avoid daily restaurant dinners and wing it. Starting in Caminha and hopefully visiting some islands near Vigo. So thanks so much for a thoughtful interesting thread Daniel

Do you ever lose your spoon? I do. I end up "stealing" them. Not that I condone that type of behavior... :)

As for salt, I usually carry a small ziplock bag filled about 1.5 cm (1/2 inch) from the bottom. Then I sprinkle.
As I am from the U.S. southwest, I like my food a bit spicier than most. I carry jalapeño salt. On a rest break, I grind some into my hand and eat it for a quick pick-me-up.

€149,-

Further, pici, tomatoes, fruit and nuts

Don’t forget the cartons of amazing Gazpacho Soup - nutritious, delicious, refreshing and hydrating! Meant to be drunk cold.
Having scrolled down this never ending list, here is the essential item you have all left out : THE VINO :) comes in litre bottles or cartons and is CHEAP ! I resort to this when in a cheap room and have bread, cheese, onions and dark chocolate. Water from tap if potable and if not, MORE wine :) And, as you cant all be saintly veggies, packet chicken or ham.

Buen Camino

Samarkand.

I like to get cans of tuna, single-serve yogurt like you did, rice pudding (usually sold in packs of two so one could be at dinner and one the next day, especially if there’s a fridge), rice cakes or other gluten-free bread or rolls, fruit, and some chocolate. Ensaladilla rusa and gazpacho can usually be found in smaller portions, too.
I liked tuna or sardines too. Could keep the whole Camino if need be, a little bread and I was good to go!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I'm a solo walker and always have a main meal in a restaurant. Usually, you get the works affordable and plenty and wine included. I eat only one full meal around the usual time the locals eat.

Avocado, sardines or small tins of tuna, olives, 33 cl high protein long life chocolate milk ( mercadona) high protein yogourt, hummous, fresh ready made pasta salad (mercadona) and cheese. In some bakeries you can get empanadas.
Already here is a plethora of good stuff.
I tend not to eat white bread at all, and I have still to find gazpacho in cartons...
Another strategy is doing supermercados alternate days for the sake of variety and economy or even practicability.
I cannot eat later dinners 8 pm, sleeping on a full stomach is impossible, so a last trick is up for graps:
Just before you almost expire in the day and most things will be closed, dive into a bar and order a cerveza pequeña and you will get a tapas or even buy a raciones. This will keep you for hours...
Almonds, cashews and walnut are stable diet... keep secret rations...

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.