• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Women on the camino!

FoxgloveFairy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances
(May 2018)
Hi ladies!
I will be walking my first camino in May and have most things packed already. But i find myself staring at my toiletries in disdane because i do not want to pack a bunch of tampons/use a bunch while im over there.
Just asking some advice from the ladies who have done the camino before; what did you find easiest? Also is a cup a no go if its 10k of walking every day?
Thanks in advance!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My first Caminos, I went on the mini-pill to avoid menstruating altogether. Now that I'm old, I bring a few tampons, but stock up on the way. They sell them everywhere.

Stick with what you're most comfortable using. If you're doing the Frances you will pass through lots of towns or villages which have pharmacies if you need to stock up, or cafes if you need a toilet. I wouldn't make any major changes: it'll only last a few days, and will probably only happen once during your walk.

I was going to say "just go with the flow" but that might be inappropriate ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you are on Facebook, join a really informative and supportive group for women walking the Camino. It's called CAMIGAS- a buddy system for women on the Camino. They will have threads that have already discussed this and many other questions. Buen Camino!

A cup.
Small, light, and environmentally friendly.
Just try it out first, making sure you know how to use it correctly.
I have to admit that this advice is (sadly) not firsthand. But younger women have told me they are super for travel to places where other sanitary products are hard to find or inconvenent to use or dispose of.

Last edited:
I would second the comment that you should just use what you're comfortable with. Sanitary products are readily available in pharmacies, grocery stores, and other shops. Also, as a cup user, I have no issues with it when it comes to walking distances. They're great because you can wear them for hours. The only drawback is trying to find a bathroom situation where you can have private access to a sink in order to wash it. In a pinch you can empty it, wipe it out with toilet paper, and put it back in, but it's not advisable to do that more than one time in a row.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’ll be on the pill and skip the sugar pill section so I hopefully don’t get a period at all on the Camino. Love the idea of the cup for environmental reasons, but it doesn’t work for me.

Nichola - Have you skipped the sugar pills before? If not, try it before you go to see how your body reacts. I have done it, but I definitely pay the price during the next cycle - and I still spotted, so I didn't really gain much. For other women, it works great though.

€83,-
Nichola - Have you skipped the sugar pills before? If not, try it before you go to see how your body reacts. I have done it, but I definitely pay the price during the next cycle - and I still spotted, so I didn't really gain much. For other women, it works great though.
Yes, and I do still spot so my doctor has given me some additional medication which I’ll test before I leave. Worst case scenario I’ll but sanitary products along the way :)

Hi ladies!
I will be walking my first camino in May and have most things packed already. But i find myself staring at my toiletries in disdane because i do not want to pack a bunch of tampons/use a bunch while im over there.
Just asking some advice from the ladies who have done the camino before; what did you find easiest? Also is a cup a no go if its 10k of walking every day?
Thanks in advance!!!
I just posted the same question and then somebody send me this thread. Thanks for the tips being shared and so basically we shouldn't be changing a lot to what we are accustomed to. I'm also walking in May. Guess we'll be meeting each other soon :) Buen Camino!

Hi Kay!

Im so relieved i dont have to get anything different or have to wear a cup!

Ill be starting the first week in May!! Will see you there!!
Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are lot's of stores, and so you can get pads or tampons while there. You can take a few. -- I used pads. -- I also used thin light pads on days I didn't get my period so I wouldn't have to worry about toilet paper. The pads have chemicals that absorb any fluid (urine), and I just wore a clean one every morning and then threw it out when I got the albergue.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back