• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yes! From home to SdC starting this april!

Thomas1962

Time of past OR future Camino
2010/2011/2012/2013: Madrid -Salvador -Primitivo 2014: EPW 2015: Amsterdam - SdC
Wow!!!!!!! I still hard to believe.
Now it is official, I can take an unpaid leave for 7 months from next month (april) on, which makes it more then possible to walk from my Amsterdam doorstep to SdC!

For such a long time it is my deepest wish to do this. It made it such a relief to shake my managers hand when we agreed on this. When I walked outside again, it was like the world looked different, I saw new colours, (which was quit special as being half colourblind :) ) and felt every breeze of wind again. It was so great!
Strange enough the next moment also fear started: now I HAVE to do this, I CAN'T go back, , it will not be what I dreamed of.... But one hour later it was gone again. Now I can see that was part of the whole proces I go through. Since then I feel great and am just happy. My body is at home now, my head left already.

Since my first camino in 2010 this was the thing I wanted to do. But because the kind of job I have which I just started before, it was hard to realize. Since then I walked for 4 weeks in my holidays on different camino's or hikes, still dreaming about walking from home.
This year I felt I was standing on a crossroad in which I had to take this direction. No prolonging any more, even if it meant that I had to quit my job. I nearly had to quit, but at the last moment my manager agreed on unpaid leave. I can go back, if I really still want to...

So now I'm planning what route to take from Amsterdam. Probably it will be Amsterdam - Utrecht - Vessem - Namur - Vezelay and from there the historical road to SJPdP. After that the Frances, a camino I still didn't do. I hope to start half of april. Just need some new shoes and to buy a ticket.... O no, no ticket! :D:D:D:D

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
What amazing trips you both have done (SYates) and are now planning Thomas

Inspirational!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
For those who have..or will..walk from home, what are the distances involved. ...

In my case I estimated it at 3,000+ kilometers, jokingly referring to it as 3,333km. Took my oldish bones nearly 6 months to walk it, close to best thing I have ever done with my life! SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks all! Sorry to make you all envious. Just think about all the hard times I will have. Somewhere lost in France, no shops no bed, having the feeling to be all alone in the world....:oops: :(:)
I thinks it is about 2800 km from Amsterdam. Indeed, I also counted le Puy being about half way.
The nice thing for me is that it doesn't matter how far it is. Who cares, time enough. Will see how long it takes! :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks all! Sorry to make you all envious. Just think about all the hard times I will have. Somewhere lost in France, no shops no bed, having the feeling to be all alone in the world....:oops: :(:)

Nah, I'm still envious! ;)

(PS I have just discovered the smileys so putting them everywhere! :oops: Sorry, it'll pass...:rolleyes::oops::D)

Hi Thomas,
If you will walk from Vessem to Namur and use the Via Brabantica you will practically pass my house. Always here through pm if you want assistance / place for the night when in neighbourhood.

Veel plezier bij de voorbereiding.
Sabine

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I thinks it is about 2800 km from Amsterdam. Indeed, I also counted le Puy being about half way.
The nice thing for me is that it doesn't matter how far it is. Who cares, time enough. Will see how long it takes! :)

Nops, you will be found in France, shops and beds will appear when ever you need them, the Camino will provide for what you truly need, but not always for what you think you need. Enjoy this pilgrimage of miracles, and, again, if I can do anything to help, just shoot me a message! Buen Camino! SY

In my case roughly 4,500 km, to Jerusalem. Took 5 months . Worth every minute of it :)
Sounds very interesting too domigee! Who knows a next plan. Just curious what your route was, and your speed. Looks like the political situation through any landroute is not 'optimal' to walk through.
5 months only for 4500kms is also quit challinging. Look like you did 40+kms a day quit easy.

Your time for your next camino will come soon?
Just try to make people less envious. Just know how it feels...:(

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Nops, you will be found in France, shops and beds will appear when ever you need them, the Camino will provide for what you truly need, but not always for what you think you need. Enjoy this pilgrimage of miracles, and, again, if I can do anything to help, just shoot me a message! Buen Camino! SY
I'm indeed so exited and already gratefull. Thanks for your offer SY! I'll get in contact later.

Hi Thomas1962, the route was through Canterbury, Northern France across to Besançon, Switzerland, South Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Bulgaria, Turkey, a ferry to Northern Cyprus and from Southern Cyprus a flight to Tel-Aviv. As youknow, going through Syria wasn't an option and no ship agreed to take us to Israel.
The plan was for 6 months but we cheated :oops: in Turkey: high-speed train from Istanbul to Ankara and then to Konya and a bus journey to the South coast. Why? Because we couldn't book accommodation along our planned route (which was across Anatolia) that didn't entail a 58 or 60 km walk. Even if I could have walked that distance (which I doubt), there were just not enough daylight hours to do it in.
I know our walking speed (lol): 5km/ hr including breaks. There were times we walked 45 km + , the longest day was 51 but there were also much shorter walks.
I'm now planning the Via de la Plata and would love to be able to just walk out of my front door again just as you'll be doing.
I' m very happy for you and wish you a great journey :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Now it is official, I can take an unpaid leave for 7 months from next month (april) on, which makes it more then possible to walk from my Amsterdam doorstep to SdC!

Congratulations Thomas. I am so happy for you.

It is also my dream to walk from home in England, and one day it will happen when I am free of my commitments and can truly enjoy that freedom. Until then, please let us all know how your plans and your journey develop - it will give us all so much hope for ourselves !

Buen Camino !

Last edited:
Hi Thomas1962, the route was through Canterbury, Northern France across to Besançon, Switzerland, South Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Bulgaria, Turkey, a ferry to Northern Cyprus and from Southern Cyprus a flight to Tel-Aviv. As youknow, going through Syria wasn't an option and no ship agreed to take us to Israel.
The plan was for 6 months but we cheated :oops: in Turkey: high-speed train from Istanbul to Ankara and then to Konya and a bus journey to the South coast. Why? Because we couldn't book accommodation along our planned route (which was across Anatolia) that didn't entail a 58 or 60 km walk. Even if I could have walked that distance (which I doubt), there were just not enough daylight hours to do it in.
I know our walking speed (lol): 5km/ hr including breaks. There were times we walked 45 km + , the longest day was 51 but there were also much shorter walks.
I'm now planning the Via de la Plata and would love to be able to just walk out of my front door again just as you'll be doing.
I' m very happy for you and wish you a great journey :)

Domigee did you walk the Canterbury route from Rochester to Canterbury? Just wondering because I might walk that this summer. :)

Yes I did. How exciting! If you have any questions or anything, ask away and I'll do my best to answer :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes I did. How exciting! If you have any questions or anything, ask away and I'll do my best to answer :)

I haven't done much reading on the actual route so I was just wondering if it's rural or city walking? I wasn't sure I just left some days open for it. :) Thank you :)

It's mostly rural after Rochester. The road follows the old 'Saxon Shore Way'. I sort of followed a guide book 'London to Canterbury' by john Merrill. Briefly, my first stop after home was Aylesford Priory , then Gillingham (passing through Rochester), then Faversham (stayed in a fab B&b), then Canterbury (youth Hostal). From there you follow the North Downs Way to Dover. It was pouring down and I lost my way - also avoiding fields with cows/bulls, you name it - so ended up following the main road. No fun but it got me there on time for the ferry :)

There you are! Sorry I had to leave so suddenly after we met briefly at the venue in Amsterdam. I enjoyed two inspiring and entertaining camino stories and am even looking more forward to my own journey now. I am happy for you that you have found your way too. And now you are leaving even before me!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There you are! Sorry I had to leave so suddenly after we met briefly at the venue in Amsterdam. I enjoyed two inspiring and entertaining camino stories and am even looking more forward to my own journey now. I am happy for you that you have found your way too. And now you are leaving even before me!
Inspiring camino stories indeed! (at the Jacobs meeting in Amsterdam there were 2 people telling about there camino from home in the Netherlands to SdC), Pitty you had to leave. Maybe meet you there on next meeting. When will you leave?

Inspiring camino stories indeed! (at the Jacobs meeting in Amsterdam there were 2 people telling about there camino from home in the Netherlands to SdC), Pitty you had to leave. Maybe meet you there on next meeting. When will you leave?
I'll catch a train to Paray-le-Monial on the 3rd of May. Won't be in Amersfoort next Saturday, because I planned two days of training on the island of Texel :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.