• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

You know its December when...

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
... your mind wanders back to the camino :cool:

My walks this year have been a bit hit and miss...
  • I planned 2 weeks on the CF in spring but a heavy cold forced me to stop a week early
  • I planned to walk the Camino Baztan in August but a last minute audition forced a change of plans
  • I planned to walk the Rota Vicentina in October but fell, cut my leg badly, it became infected and I had to stop on day 5
  • but... I had an unexpected 2 weeks on the camino Portuguese in November... unbelievably I fell again, sprained my ankle, had more blister and shoe problems but I did manage to finish and I had an amazing few days before flying home.
I was honestly starting to question if perhaps I should stop walking... but it's December and the fire is on and its damp and cold outside and I'm on my spreadsheet working out distances and timescales for October on the Norte and looking at the weights of various t-shirts... And my mind keeps drifting off to maybe the Levante in 2019... I guess I'll start looking for another pair of shoes. :rolleyes:

How about you?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
December tends to be quiet on the forum, for obvious reasons. However, the camino is never far from my mind. I have done the early methodical planning part (and have most of my equipment ready), now I am resting up until I allow myself to buy a ticket in January, and then I will be into panic/excitement mode trying to get training and other things done before early April when I depart.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

• I planned 2 weeks on the CF in spring but a heavy cold forced me to stop a week early
  • I planned to walk the Camino Baztan in August but a last minute audition forced a change of plans
  • I planned to walk the Rota Vicentina in October but fell, cut my leg badly, it became infected and I had to stop on day 5
  • but... I had an unexpected 2 weeks on the camino Portuguese in November... unbelievably I fell again, sprained my ankle, had more blister and shoe problems but I did manage to finish and I had an amazing few days before flying home.
I was honestly starting to question if perhaps I should stop walking... but it's December and the fire is on and its damp and cold outside and I'm on my spreadsheet working out distances and timescales for October on the Norte and looking at the weights of various t-shirts... And my mind keeps drifting off to maybe the Levante in 2019... I guess I'll start looking for another pair of shoes. :rolleyes:

How about you?
Being newly retired, I had excitedly planned and walked my first Camino Frances in April/May 2015. Thinking I was "once and done" I soon realized after returning home that I wanted to do another Camino and sweet talked hubby into letting me go again. So that winter I began the planning to walk the Norte/Primitivo in spring 2016, which kept my winter doldrums at bay. The following spring 2017 I walked the Frances route again. Hubby met up to walk the last week, but it is definately not "his thing".

I have new plans coming together to walk the Le Puy route this June with two Camino friends. It seems I am addicted and unable to feel completely fulfilled in my life of retirement without a "next" Camino in my future. I have been blessed with many beautiful and wonderful travel experiences throughout my adult life, but the Caminos are in a special, revered category all their own and my feet have become my favorite mode of travel. :)

December tends to be quiet on the forum, for obvious reasons. However, the camino is never far from my mind. I have done the early methodical planning part (and have most of my equipment ready), now I am resting up until I allow myself to buy a ticket in January, and then I will be into panic/excitement mode trying to get training and other things done before early April when I depart.
Your planning stages sound much like my own...I'm on number four!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
... until I allow myself to buy a ticket in January

After this year's up and downs I've decided not to make any more plans... except of course October (which is husbands birthday trip... his choice not mine!) I have a few ideas and maybe a gap in the diary but I'm leaving it open... but it's hard sitting om my hands and not buying shoes or booking something :D

I have not been on camino since winter 2014. 2015, I planned to walk. 2016 too. Illness, mine, got in the way. 2017, relocated to Los Angeles, elderly parents and and and.... My feet want to trek. My eyes wish to see beautiful Spanish sky. My heart and spirit desire meseta renewal. Asap back on camino, Via de la Plata this time.

You know its December when...

• you are trying to learn some christmas carols in spanish, (you never know if it coms in handy..)
  • you wish that Santa brings you an airplaneticket..
  • all you want for christmas is Merino..
  • .... (fill in the blanks) .... ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You look at the calendar daily and wonder how you can juggle the dates next year to achieve a 6 week window that avoids (a) school holidays and (b) being away from your husband yet again on his birthday at the end of May....

Ah, yes! The annual answering, "have I been naughyt or nice?" and "what can I get away with this year?"

LesBrass--somehow it is so encouraging to know that others go on Camino and get horribly ill and fall down! Sheesh, I feel so much better knowing that others can think past the pain to the next flight and journey!

I'm going to sit one out this year, probably.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Airfare sales at Thanksgiving and I have a round trip ticket from Minneapolis to Madrid for $653 leaving April 1. Pack is packed and I’m doing training walks in the Minnesota cold. This is my Camino prep and it satisfies the soul to no end. I have a camino picture on my office wall so I am on the trail every day.....
I will never tire of the journey and it’s a blessing to know there is a community of like minded souls. The world is in darkness except on the Road. We are all blessed-

Maybe a little out of tune with this thread, but you also know it’s December with Christmas around the corner when you start to think about things, that you should be thinking of more frequently, like peace, love and tolerance; but somehow these dark and cold days seem to bring it closer to mind.

My brother kneels, so saith Kabir
To stone and brass in heathen-wise,
But in my brother’s voice I hear
My own unanswered agonies
His God is as his Fate assign,
His prayer is all the world’s – and mine.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

How about you?
I was ready to "downsize" my walks next year and limit them to canal walks in France and Spain. Then I read The Great Westward Walk and realized I still have many miles left in these feet. So, like you, I'm plotting my next adventure in 2018 on the Norte in May and June and then perhaps the Invierno in 2019. Ultreya

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
..when you´re impatient and want to book coming Aprils 4 week remaining holidays that you have been saving through the year; and realising you still have to wait for January - at the very least...

Last edited:
When my sore throat returns, and with it my dry hands full of cracks [and this time around my O'keefe's Working Hands cream is not doing the trick]. Anyway, I count my blessings and life is good. Have a Feliz Navidad, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

You know it's December when it is dark most of the day, only some sort of daylight from 10 to 12, the sun is under the horizont, still until end of January from November. Many flighttickets booked at this time during the years. But this year wondering whether I've done enough caminos.
Should have seen the sunflowers on GR65 in June and walked the Sanabres from Granja. Last year I chose walking in England because of the lot of people in Spain. Perhaps I am too old for this way of life. We have winter with snow for 7 months so perhaps a winter camino?.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
only some sort of daylight from 10 to 12... We have winter with snow for 7 months
That must be difficult. Today I was remarking on how miserably chilly it seems here in the Vancouver area, on a foggy day at 2C and 93% humidity. Not cold enough to impress anyone, but it is hard to stay warm outside!

You know it’s December when you’re spending the weekend at the beach with good friends (and we dragged all the kids up the hill in the heat...and I wondered how we ever walked in Spain when it was over 30 degrees because today’s 25 seemed hot and our walk only lasted two hours!)

Us two 80 year olds had planned to walk the Primitivo in May 2017. But we've had a quite bad year. I had bowel cancer in January - all contained. Chemotherapy until August. I was just getting fit when I got tipped off my pushbike and fractured my pelvis in September - 6 to 8 months healing. My mate is currently recovering from Polymyalgia and is thus also somewhat incapacitated. Our new plan is to walk the Primitivo, el Verde and Norte starting September 2018, when we're hopefully back to form. We both walked a few years ago, me in 2014 part of the Levant, my friend some of the Frances, and we need to walk again (as you do) Any comments on likely weather and probable crowding?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
[ Perhaps I am too old for this way of life. We have winter with snow for 7 months so perhaps a winter camino?.[/QUOTE]

Never.....

You know it’s December when you’re spending the weekend at the beach with good friends (and we dragged all the kids up the hill in the heat...and I wondered how we ever walked in Spain when it was over 30 degrees because today’s 25 seemed hot and our walk only lasted two hours!)

You know it's December when you REALLY dislike the people who live on the other side!!! :D;) Only kidding of course, @Kiwi-family , enjoy the Summer :cool::)

€60,-
It has changed so much! Used to be hearing the Christmas music and seeing the decorations, but now all that is out in November. Ugh. But if I'm not out into the "commercial" world, December for me is doing things with a bit more intention, and awareness and appreciation of all my blessings. I think it's the cold, and knowing I have a safe and warm home to come to, looking forward to family gatherings over the holiday season. And this year, the added bonus of going to Galicia for a month next summer, and at least walking the Ingles and then hopefully on to Finisterre and Muxia.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Cicadas serenade the evenings, test cricket is on the radio, the sky shimmers with heat, and the air is filled with the smell of mangoes and sun-screen....
Do you seriously have cicadas already? They are a late summer thing for us, not an “it’s only just summer” thing!
Strawberries are our current fruit, with plums just starting and boysenberries starting to colour amongst the greenery.
But I did LOVE the white Christmases we experienced in Poland - it felt so right!

Cicadas and Christmas beetles!
I know it’s December when I still haven’t made up my mind about what I am doing next year...aggghhhh!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.