• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

You know it's weird but people pack it anyway

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I have a picture somewhere, lost among the thousands, taken in Viloria de la Rioja. On the way in I was passed by a young man wearing a pouncho and the long droopy hat covering his man bun so popular now in Spain. We both stayed with Acacio and Orietta (goodness, I promised them a card from Jerusalem better get cracking!). Stops raining and what does he pull from his back pack? A skateboard! Up and down the village street around the church and back again until it got dark and the next morning on the road all the way into Belrado backpack and all. Showing my age but there was once a song "You Can't Get to Heaven on Rollar Skates" needs an update perhaps. Hope he made it in to SdC.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have a picture somewhere, lost among the thousands, taken in Viloria de la Rioja. On the way in I was passed by a young man wearing a pouncho and the long droopy hat covering his man bun so popular now in Spain. We both stayed with Acacio and Orietta (goodness, I promised them a card from Jerusalem better get cracking!). Stops raining and what does he pull from his back pack? A skateboard! Up and down the village street around the church and back again until it got dark and the next morning on the road all the way into Belrado backpack and all. Showing my age but there was once a song "You Can't Get to Heaven on Rollar Skates" needs an update perhaps. Hope he made it in to SdC.
I didn't know skateboards were outlawed in Heaven! LOL Imagine in thirty years and he is telling his children how he skateboarded the camino. I think he made a wonderful memory, even if it is a very strange one.

I didn't know skateboards were outlawed in Heaven! LOL Imagine in thirty years and he is telling his children how he skateboarded the camino. I think he made a wonderful memory, even if it is a very strange one.
Day before I reached Santiago on my first Camino,a young man with a skateboard took the bunk above me.He propped his skateboard against the bottom of my bunk,then with a cheerful"going to meet my mates for a drink,see you later",off he went.He did not make it back in time for lock up,in fact not until 7.30 next day.As others passed my bunk and saw the skateboard,many had a look on their faces that "I can't believe that old codger is using a skateboard on the Camino"" I know I should have,but I did not say it wasn't mine,just looked smug.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
On my first camino for sentimental reasons I carried a beloved stuffed moose!!

Not full size but as bulky as a sleeping bag! The moose, known as Mo, shortened from Mousse au chocolat, was a large toy which long ago I had given to my father for his 90th birthday. After my father’s death Mo came back to me. In 2004 he traveled in a stuff sack deep within the pack. Although disguised as a ‘pillow’ he was in truth my silent confidante during that first challenging camino.

We both made it to Santiago but once with a moose is enough! Ever since Mo has stayed on his shelf at home.

MM

If you do the Camino on a skateboard, do you need the last 100 km or last 200 km to get a Compostela?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you do the Camino on a skateboard, do you need the last 100 km or last 200 km to get a Compostela?

Actually a similar question came up when I was volunteering in the pilgrims office. Two people arrived claiming to be the first people to have roller skated the camino. There is no provision in the compostela rules for roller skating, but the staff member gave them the compostela anyway. There was a slightly extended discussion about whether foot, horse, and bike were the only acceptable modes of transport and I don't know if the rules have been revised to make clear whether skates (and I guess they should consider skateboards, too) are allowed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
what does he pull from his back pack? A skateboard!
Just a skateboard? That's nothing compared to this young man, who was 5 months into an around-the-world adventure. As well as the usual selection of gear, he was carrying:
  • Skateboard strapped to pack
  • Full camping equipment including large tent
  • Significant library of books
  • Mandolin
  • Didgeradoo (5-feet long; he had never been to Australia)
The enormous load contributed to a knee problem, and he had both hands full so he couldn't use walking sticks. Although I was old enough to be his grandmother, I traded one walking stick for his didgeradoo so he could get down some steep slopes, and I carried it for an hour or so. It sort of made me feel young and foolish again. Certainly it made me look foolish if not young. I think he ended his camino soon after, to search out a boat to South America.

Overloaded.jpg
didgeridoo.jpg

Just a skateboard? That's nothing compared to this young man, who was 5 months into an around-the-world adventure. As well as the usual selection of gear, he was carrying:
  • Mandolin
The enormous load contributed to a knee problem, and he had both hands full so he couldn't use walking sticks. Although I was old enough to be his grandmother, I traded one walking stick for his didgeradoo so he could get down some steep slopes, and I carried it for an hour or so. It sort of made me feel young and foolish again. Certainly it made me look foolish if not young. I think he ended his camino soon after, to search out a boat to South America.

View attachment 22852
View attachment 22859
OMG OMG... is that a mule-packed man or what?? Glad he didn't carry his own oven and microwave and fridge. These are thoughts I've often had whilst walking: what do we NEED and what do we WANT?? Have been trying to make sense of this for a while. Buen Camino :)

Did he ever make it to Santiago or did he quietly broke down somewhere on the way? SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I last saw him (that day) he was already broken down and talking about finding a boat to South America. I later heard that he had left.
... not with all that gear I hope, C clearly?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have just read the book and seen the movie "Wild". The author walked the Pacific Crest Trail in the USA with a pack so huge she called it Monster.

... not with all that gear I hope, C clearly?
Of course! That's why he brought it, as he certainly didn't need it on the camino. The musical instruments were meant for busking, to finance his travels. I think the Camino in Spain was a small part of his planned adventures. He was talking about hitchhiking, but didn't seem to think his load was a problem for that. And I didn't say anything to disillusion him.

Of course! That's why he brought it, as he certainly didn't need it on the camino. The musical instruments were meant for busking, to finance his travels. I think the Camino in Spain was a small part of his planned adventures. He was talking about hitchhiking, but didn't seem to think his load was a problem for that. And I didn't say anything to disillusion him.
It was kind of you to help him out @C clearly. I can see you're a good sport.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
well..... Let's just pray he's found what he's looking for

I'll give it a test run at some stage and produce a full report

Robo, I often worry about you and all my other family and friends who live on our West Island!

If you carry a rice cooker does that mean you also carry rice (not all stops have food shops). And sultanas for an ANZAC style feed?

But for the love of a good woman I guess a man will do anything. Good on ya mate. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
  • Mandolin

View attachment 22852
View attachment 22859
It reminds me of a quote, "we pack our fears."

Robo, I often worry about you and all my other family and friends who live on our West Island!

If you carry a rice cooker does that mean you also carry rice (not all stops have food shops). And sultanas for an ANZAC style feed?

But for the love of a good woman I guess a man will do anything. Good on ya mate. :)

I'll let you into a secret......... MY wife will be getting her

It's a very small Rice Cooker. Like.........the smallest you can imagine ...... and then a bit smaller still :) I think half the benefit will be in knowing it is there if we need it ;)

I think half the benefit will be in knowing it is there if we need it ;)
I suspect the real benefit is in your wife knowing that you love her enough to carry the silly thing in the first place. If love is the measure of a pilgrimage and growth in love holds primacy of purpose, then you are pilgrim in deed and not in name only.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Well this past spring during our camino, my brother and our friend both bought replica flintlock pistols (which weighed about 3 pounds each) in Burgos and carried them all the way to Finisterre!

I have just read the book and seen the movie "Wild". The author walked the Pacific Crest Trail in the USA with a pack so huge she called it Monster.

On a camino with bars and albergues along the route, one has the "luxury" to pack much lighter. Backpackers have to carry everything. I've done hikes of several weeks duration in high mountains with lightweight gear that added up to over 35 lbs./16 kg. When you need to carry your shelter, bedding, cold weather gear, etc., it adds up quick. It sounds to me like that young guy with the skateboard, mandolin and didgeridoo was having a wonderful adventure. Where was he from?

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back