• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone know why Spanish people put water bottles outside their front door?

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
I asked a few people while I was walking, but no one seemed to know. Most hadn’t even noticed. But in some towns/villages it seemed about half the houses had water bottles sitting outside their front door.

I know I could probably Google it and get the answer, but that seems too easy…

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I asked a few people while I was walking, but no one seemed to know. Most hadn’t even noticed. But in some towns/villages it seemed about half the houses had water bottles sitting outside their front door.

I love the local custom of hanging fresh, delicious bread on doors too 😈

Water bottles on lawns here in Oz, though you don't see it as often as in the past.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just goes to show you. Did my first Camino in April. One pilgrim fountain was near a local free-flowing water source from a hill where a guy was filling up loads of plastic bottles. He said the water was wonderful. (Being the cautious sort, I got my water from the fountain.)

When I saw empty bottles on front stoops, I figured they were there for guys like him to deliver water.

In California nearby L.A. I saw half filled bottles with water inside the houses.
It was for warning the persons for earthshocks and earthquakes . As long as there is nothing wrong the watersurface stands still. If the surface is moving , get out of your house asap .

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just goes to show you. Did my first Camino in April. One pilgrim fountain was near a local free-flowing water source from a hill where a guy was filling up loads of plastic bottles. He said the water was wonderful. (Being the cautious sort, I got my water from the fountain.)

When I saw empty bottles on front stoops, I figured they were there for guys like him to deliver water.
Lots of people in Portugal fill bottles up at local fountains
As a hospitaleiro at an albergue I went to the next fountain about 100 yards away with a wheelbarrel to fill up as many as empty bottles as possible and many times
The water from the fountain is far better than the water supplied by the watercompany .

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ok so it seems the consensus is that it stops dogs from peeing there. It doesn’t, but I guess I’ll have to accept that as the reason for them leaving the bottles there. Let’s just call it a superstition then.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ok so it seems the consensus is that it stops dogs from peeing there. It doesn’t, but I guess I’ll have to accept that as the reason for them leaving the bottles there. Let’s just call it a superstition then.
I often saw large 1-2L bottles of water next to the entries of homes along the Camino and was told it was for passing pilgrims. Most did not look particularly "fresh" for human consumption and I assumed pilgrims did not really want to trust the water; I sure didn't want to fill up my bottle.
Anyway, I believed that the motive was out of kindness for thirsty pilgrims for a number of years until about a year ago when someone said it was for watering their flower pots, which sounded legit to me. Now I hear it is for deterring dogs from peeing. Someone else mentioned mosquitos.🤷

I often saw large 1-2L bottles of water next to the entries of homes along the Camino and was told it was for passing pilgrims. Most did not look particularly "fresh" for human consumption and I assumed pilgrims did not really want to trust the water; I sure didn't want to fill up my bottle.
Anyway, I believed that the motive was out of kindness for thirsty pilgrims for a number of years until about a year ago when someone said it was for watering their flower pots, which sounded legit to me. Now I hear it is for deterring dogs from peeing. Someone else mentioned mosquitos.🤷
If you ever walk the Portuguese Central (again), about a few miles after Casa daFernanda in the direction of Ponte deLima , you‘ll see a white house at the leftside with a drawing of the Apostle Santiago painted at the wall Many will recognize the house. In front is a bench to rest for a while.
if the owner is at home, he does not offer you water
but a coffee or a glass of Port wine. That is better stuff than water .
Last time I passed his house again, I brought him a packet of “ stroopwafels” sweet syrop waffles . He appreciated that gesture and invited us to come in the house for another Portwine or so.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you ever walk the Portuguese Central (again), about a few miles after Casa daFernanda in the direction of Ponte deLima
I was unable to stay at Casa Fernanda's in 2019, but a friend of mine had asked me to stop by and tell her hello, which I did. She enthusiastically invited me in for tea, but felt I did not have the time, which I regret. I do not recall the white house down the way, but the hospitality of the Portuguese people must extend quite a distance.

Unless there was a sign that said "para peregrinos" I would never think that anything next to a private home (or anywhere else) was mine for the taking!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't believe the bread was fpr pilgrims. I believe it was the delivery service of the local bakery providing the residents their daily bread.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I "think" it's to deter animals from urinating around there (something about the reflection they don't like?) - not 100% sure about that but I'm 100% sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. 😂
Recently I asked my Spanish Camino amiga about those bottles. Yes, to prevent dogs from peeing in the doorways. The bottles used to be filed with a powerful and odorous chemical which did deter the dogs. The toxic chemical has been outlawed but the water bottle custom continues. At least the dogs hit the bottles and not the doorways. And supposedly, older dogs remember the chemical and go elsewhere. Buen Camino

I don't believe the bread is for pilgrims and I doubt the bottles of water deter dogs from peeing on them. In fact, I think dogs think the bottles work as good as fire hydrants.😅

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Bottles on the Ruta de la Lana… (and there aren’t many dogs!!)

B728644E-0CC2-41FA-A427-E8ACD86B5934.jpeg2B643339-E3E4-495E-B455-CA9C88C53AA1.jpeg

Attachments

• 62E8386C-D976-4ED3-BDE7-1CFF7BF45ADC.jpeg
    62E8386C-D976-4ED3-BDE7-1CFF7BF45ADC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
Hmmm. Those two water jugs look very refreshing on a hot day.🥵😅
I notice the sidewalk cracks do look rather "wet"; what does that tell us.🤔😂
Screenshot_20230701-103812~3.png

In California nearby L.A. I saw half filled bottles with water inside the houses.
It was for warning the persons for earthshocks and earthquakes . As long as there is nothing wrong the watersurface stands still. If the surface is moving , get out of your house asap .
As a former resident of California, I can say with certainty that you don't need a water bottle to tell you when there is an earthquake or aftershocks! 😂o_Oo_O😂

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

It’s to ward away the flies. We have them outside our doors and it works!!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think it’s obvious that it is a local effort/tradition to put out bottles to water to discourage dogs or cats from peeing at the front doors of houses. Just accept and live with it as you pass through their way of life.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Knock on the door and ask them what they are for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My wife and I first walked the Camino in 2013. Since then, she has a 1L bottle filled with water sitting in front of our mail box. I often see passing dogs peeing on that bottle and walk away with a snicker.
Not a Marathon?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I "think" it's to deter animals from urinating around there (something about the reflection they don't like?) - not 100% sure about that but I'm 100% sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. 😂
I think that these might be more effective.

IMG_20230705_155405740_HDR.jpg IMG_20230705_155255761_HDR.jpg

Those tractors, left out in the field, those are for pilgrims, right? Also, why do the guardia civil yell so much when you're driving your newly found tractor? 😂 Very enjoyable thread. I love it when we speculate not knowing the answer, and we kind of get to the bottom of things. Harkens back to the halcyon days before the mobile phone. And we get to do this all day on the Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we had a friend in a wheelchair and we had a similar temporary shaped plywood plank made so our friend could get wheeled in our house.

I doubt men would choose to urinate on someone's front door; a dark foyer or alley, possibly.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last Camino I asked about these boards leaning up against the doors. I was told it was to stop the bottom of the doors rotting from the rain. I still can't work out how you put them back up once you go inside. Surely not everyone is out. Bit of a give-away that noone is home. 😆

Last Camino I asked about these boards leaning up against the doors. I was told it was to stop the bottom of the doors rotting from the rain. I still can't work out how you put them back up once you go inside. Surely not everyone is out. Bit of a give-away that noone is home. 😆
I don't see how it can help much against water damage during floods as water seeps in everywhere there is a crack...maybe they caulk around the perimeter...not.😂

I don't see how it can help much against water damage during floods as water seeps in everywhere there is a crack...maybe they caulk around the perimeter...not.😂
They don't,

But these are , they slide in and they are waterproof.
Waterschot-deur-5.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
They don't,

But these are , they slide in and they are waterproof.
View attachment 152087
And as you see on all the images..the front doors are all on the same level as the adjoining pathway. Whatever the reason, whether it is to stop water egress or damage or unwanted animal functions it works for them. Some things have a dual purpose.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back