• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are you a hiker or a walker?

Out of interest (I doubt I will be doing it!), who quoted 10k, how many days etc, or did you work it out yourself?
I've been considering it for a while, multiple sites quote "$8 - 12,000 ". This includes the official PCTA website, backpacker.com, and Reddit. It's gone up significantly since 2018 when the pcta website suggested four to eight thousand.
Logically enough it is also suggested that is significantly cheaper for domestic hikers.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've been considering it for a while, multiple sites quote "$8 - 12,000 ". This includes the official PCTA website, backpacker.com, and Reddit. It's gone up significantly since 2018 when the pcta website suggested four to eight thousand.
Logically enough it is also suggested that is significantly cheaper for domestic hikers.
Ah thank you! Gosh it sounds such a fantastic thing to do, as does the AT! I’m useless with a tent, scared of heights, bears and all sorts!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What is the distinction between the two?
I used to “hike” thirty-some odd years ago. This involved a backpack with survival items (water, food, small med kit, and emergency shelter blanket with item for signaling for help). A cellphone with a wilderness outreach capability was not a thing then.

Many decades later, having gotten accustomed to long walks, short “hikes” between trails while skiing, I’d forgotten what a REAL hike could be.

Two weeks ago my husband and I were invite to join his cousin on a hike. It was in Mexico, on an off day from snorkeling & diving.

Well, I should have gotten a clue when I saw the size of her ‘daypack.’ We climbed up and down established trails, though the signage was minimal. She also kept using her phone maps to reconnoiter, “to make sure we didn’t get lost.”

Three hours and 8.5 miles later, I realized we had completed a HIKE. Don’t misunderstand my situation. I’ve walked the Frances and the Portuguese. And I am returning to the CF this June. This was in no way similar…unless you’re on the primativo?😳

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are some simple huts along the AT, I believe, but many just pitch a bivy or tent to avoid rodents and other pests that also have taken up residence in some of the shelters.
My son has hiked half of the AT (1000 miles). He carried a tent and rarely used the shelters, even though he had a lot of rain in the Spring.

(Multiple times having hiked the JMT/HST).
Of the long distance backpacking hikes my son has done, the John Muir Trail has been his favorite, the Colorado Trail next. He liked the AT the least. It is often called the green tunnel and has far fewer views. He also felt it was actually more difficult than the others because it constantly goes up and down staying on the high ridge lines.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Incidentally it's 4,265 km long. Elite hikers have done it sub 100 days, most take five months.
Karel Sabbe (a Belgian dentist) beat his own record this year, and ran it - yes, ran - in 46d 12h 50m.
I guess that he had a support crew, is that correct?

I guess that he had a support crew, is that correct?
Correct, I believe a crew of three. From memory the fastest unsupported time is 55 days.
Pretty incredible when you think how long it is, that it's a technical trail, and that the average is 150 days. You go from the desert to the High mountains, the elevation gains are substantial, and the climate literally changes along the way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I like the French word, "randonneur" which literally translates to "random go-er" or "wanderer" which properly translates to "hiker".

It seems much better than the alternate French word, "marcheur" which seems too military.

-Paul

Hiking sounds, to me, like some sort of sporting activity or what the survivors and avoiders of the First enormous.?!; up did in the 20’s & 30’s. Anyway, my gran told me “walk. That’s what we do.” So that’s what I do

I agree. I almost cringe when I hear someone speaking of "hiking" the Camino. To my ear, to call it "hiking" is a diminution of what we do. Yes, I suppose hiking vs walking is a bit of distinction without a difference. But, somehow, referring to it as hiking . . . well, it almost sounds disrecpectful. A long distance pilgrim oriented contemplative walk is not just a "hike".

I claim to be a walker and not a hiker, as I associate hiking with uncertain footing. I have walked many a well defined trail in National Parks, some with steep inclines/declines. I’m walking until I have to focus on where I’m stepping and/or boulder scrambling. I have done a small amount of that…just enough to tell myself to leave it to others who might enjoy the challenge.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Languages are continually changing and evolving in ways that are beyond the control of any individual, or to the chagrin of our Gallic cousins, any committee. Lexicography is arguably the most hubristic of human activities.

We all form ideas of what words mean when we are younger, and stick with these even as the world changes around us.

Young people are reshaping the linguistic relationship between hiking and walking even as we type, and they too will eventually be appalled by what the next generation does with it.

I think about this occasionally when friends invite me for a hike, but the hiking spot is an hour or more drive away, meaning that we would spend more time in the car than on the trail. I usually decline these invitations. While I like to walk and hike, I'm really more interested when I have a destination to walk to, even just around my own town. There are plenty of hiking spots within a half hour of my house, and I'm happy to meet my friends to hike nearby, but I'm not a "hardcore" hiker who is always looking for a new trail.

Anyone else?
I agree with you. I'd rather walk to destinations enjoying sights and people along the way. I live near the 48 mountain peaks in New Hampshire USA, part of the Appalachian Trail...zero interest. I did climb many of the 4000 footers years ago, but there needs to be something a bit more than trees and stones to keep me interested now.

I think about this occasionally when friends invite me for a hike, but the hiking spot is an hour or more drive away, meaning that we would spend more time in the car than on the trail. I usually decline these invitations. While I like to walk and hike, I'm really more interested when I have a destination to walk to, even just around my own town. There are plenty of hiking spots within a half hour of my house, and I'm happy to meet my friends to hike nearby, but I'm not a "hardcore" hiker who is always looking for a new trail.

Anyone else?
When I was getting ready for Del Norte, I walked and hiked. I did have to find some hiking trails around where I lived and most the time they were about 20 minutes from where I was. I was also able to hike the same trail to get into the 20 km a day rhythm. Although my days on the Del Norte were longer, it was still a good practice. I have to say that I agree with you that when I walk, I do need to have a destination, and when I hike, I need to reward myself when I finish hiking.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When you carry a home with you it's hiking.
Not sure I agree with you here. For me, hiking is when the terrain is such that I have to watch every single footstep to ensure I don’t twist an ankle, and perhaps where there’s a bit of scrambling and maybe ropes and ladders, and I come home the same day. When you carry a home with you, that’s backpacking. I don’t do backpacking. 😊

Not sure I agree with you here. For me, hiking is when the terrain is such that I have to watch every single footstep to ensure I don’t twist an ankle, and perhaps where there’s a bit of scrambling and maybe ropes and ladders, and I come home the same day. When you carry a home with you, that’s backpacking. I don’t do backpacking. 😊
I agree completely with you - right up until you say that carrying a home with you is backpacking. I spent 10 years backpacking, and then I used hostels; the generosity of friends, family and sometimes complete strangers, or other such accommodation. I also slept under Bridges, in train stations, and a few other - sometimes oddball - places.

The only time I ever carried a home ( tent) was when I was hiking, mostly in Australia, Canada and Scandinavia.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In my thinking, “walking” is casual and hiking is more energetic. I wear the same shoes for either and the environment is also not a distinction for me. I walk a lot, and bike. “Hiking” in the sense of applying more energy, is rare for me.

I think we can all see that there is a fair amount of semantic overlap and regional variation in the words we use for moving around on foot at a slower pace than running or jogging. I think we've also seen variation in which types of that movement appeal to which people, with some being broader in their preferences and some preferring to stick mostly to one or few types.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In my thinking, “walking” is casual and hiking is more energetic. I wear the same shoes for either and the environment is also not a distinction for me. I walk a lot, and bike. “Hiking” in the sense of applying more energy, is rare for me.
On the Caminos I usually consider myself mostly walking, but sometimes I need to apply more energy when the trail morphs into a hike for a while; it's not exclusively just one or the other.

Perhaps the appropriate verb is chosen for us by location or circumstance:

I’ve rambled on the Yorkshire Moors and tramped the Milford Track,
Hiked half the Appalachian, still hoping to go back.

I’ve trudged up half the Munros, been trekking in Nepal
Bushwalked in the Dandenongs where Kookaburras call

I’ve scrambled, slogged & struggled to Kokoda in the wet.
Once fifty miles in fifteen hours I stomped to win a bet

Paras tab and Royals yomp, to them I raise my hat,
And wistfully remember days when I was part of that.

I’ve clambered up and stumbled down some mighty peaks and fells.
Then wandered lonely as a cloud by nodding daffodils.

I’ve drifted, sauntered, ambled, strolled on many pilgrim roads
I’ve traipsed along without a care not noticing the load

For fifty years on ANZAC Day I’ve marched beside the blokes
To be in step behind a band still grabs me by the throat

Me encanta caminar. I hope I always will.
While legs and back can do their job and get me up that hill

What’s a word? It matters not. The essence is the same
Put one before another, then put it there again.

I’m the universal walker. I’m everyone who knows
The simple and unfettered joy of being on the road.

And when they ask how I’ll depart … as compost or as soot?
I might reply, “If you don’t mind, I think I’ll go on foot.”

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Perhaps the appropriate verb is chosen for us by location or circumstance:

I’ve rambled on the Yorkshire Moors and tramped the Milford Track,
Hiked half the Appalachian, still hoping to go back.

I’ve trudged up half the Munros, been trekking in Nepal
Bushwalked in the Dandenongs where Kookaburras call

I’ve scrambled, slogged & struggled to Kokoda in the wet.
Once fifty miles in fifteen hours I stomped to win a bet

Paras tab and Royals yomp, to them I raise my hat,
And wistfully remember days when I was part of that.

I’ve clambered up and stumbled down some mighty peaks and fells.
Then wandered lonely as a cloud by nodding daffodils.

I’ve drifted, sauntered, ambled, strolled on many pilgrim roads
I’ve traipsed along without a care not noticing the load

What’s a word? It matters not. The essence is the same
Put one before another, then put it there again.

I’m the universal walker. I’m everyone who knows
The simple and unfettered joy of being on the road.

And when they ask how I’ll depart … as compost or as soot?
I might reply, “If you don’t mind, I think I’ll go on foot.”

This may be my favourite Forum post of all time!

I think that many people who are accustomed to hiking in the US often initially associate the Camino with hiking the Appalachian or Pacific Crest trails. They imagine it as a wilderness form of hiking where a tent, stove, etc may be needed. At least at first that was what I thought. I pack differently for a hike, a walk, and a Camino.
Absolutely true! Thank you for highlighting this fact.

There are a tremendous number of sites on the Camino , Roman , Visigoth , and Reconquesta. Every day you are tempted to go off the trail for a unique location. Read up before you go. I alway find out afterwards what I missed

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Anyone else?
I identify myself as a long walker.

I chanced on this thread today - it’s ANZAC day. A most significant day for many who remember.
Buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Anyone else?
I would consider myself more of a hiker than a walker. I like multi-day outings with a backpack and the necessary gear for the hike. Although, I've always been a biker and have rediscovered the fun and benefit that comes from two-wheeling trails. Not too mention how much farther I can travel, and how much more I can see in a day. Walker, hiker, biker...whatever you see yourself as or prefer, just keep on keepin' on and enjoy the outdoors!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back