• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What's a Slow Walker?

RayD

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned April 2023
I often read on the Forum "I'm a slow walker". What do you consider to be a slow walking pace, taking elevation out of the equation?
So, slow walkers, how long does it normally take you to walk a kilometre on level ground?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
At my normal pace I cover about 5km per hour and I am usually overtaken by most of the people I meet on the Caminos. I am quite short so I take short paces! Sometimes people make misleading posts when they write about taking it slowly when what they really mean is that they walk only short daily stages which they might actually be covering fairly fast!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am a slow walker. I have a shorter stride which means I can't always keep up with someone taking the same number of steps. When walking with my husband we prefer to keep our distances to under 20 km per day and often only 16 km per day. On my own I can walk further (up to 25 km) per day, but it takes me longer even if I don't make a lot of stops to rest or have a coffee.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I average about 3-5km per hour. I could probably walk a little faster but I would rather be slow and comfortable than fast and uncomfortable. I prefer a maximum distance of 20km per day to accommodate my slow pace.
I am a slow walker by choice, and your words speak for me.

I think there are at least three dimensions to the "slow walker".

1) You tend to walk about 4K an hour or so
2) You tend to not walk more than about 20K a day
3) You tend to limit the total elevations for the day to 600M or so (this one is the toughtest) :)

You can chose whether you want to be speed, distance, or elevation challenged and take the label "slow walker". I'm proud to say that I qualify on all counts.

The only thing I regret as a slow walker is that many of the people that you meet, you would like to continue the conversations for a couple more days, but they are far ahead of you so you have to just wonder what you would have learned from them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I too am a slow walker. When I am earnestly trying to cover some ground, about 5km and hour. On a typical day: 4km per hour. I target 20km per day or less as a rule. It is a luxury, I know that many folks are on a tight timeline.

3) You tend to limit the total elevations for the day to 600M or so (this one is the toughtest) :)

You can chose whether you want to be speed, distance, or elevation challenged and take the label "slow walker". I'm proud to say that I qualify on all counts.

The only thing I regret as a slow walker is that many of the people that you meet, you would like to continue the conversations for a couple more days, but they are far ahead of you so you have to just wonder what you would have learned from them.
What an excellent definition! And I sometimes have the same regrets, but with regards to those that I've left behind...

I'm with @Tincatinker on this - except I'll switch the beer for a nice, fresh OJ (yum!). Similar pace and mileage too.

I would definitely not think of myself as a slow walker. But I have a tendency to start later than many - somewhere around 8. And stop moderately often. (Photos, because I've found a great place to sit, or caught up with someone I like, etc)
When you consider that many of us arrive at much the same time at the Albergue, it doesn't really seem to matter much!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
A slow walker is what I like to find in front of me when I suspect there to be a shortage of beds in the next town after a long day.

I walk fast without trying to and I guess the people who walk slower just have a different rhythm. I stop and take photos often and even though I get going early , I don't walk more than I want to. Don't book ahead so I have the freedom to stop or go on whenever I like.

3k an hour or less to me might be slow.... but not to all. I'd like to go slower but I tend to forget..

A slow walker is what I like to find in front of me when I suspect there to be a shortage of beds in the next town after a long day.
I have definitely been passed up by you a number of times over the years. The only time I regret being slow has been when you got that last bed at the albergue and I missed out.🙄 Thankfully it's only happened a couple of times, but I tend to book more private lodgings now than in the past, so I don't feel rushed as often.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good question. I am often puzzled by the self-labelling of people as slow walkers. I think "slow walking" would be 1-3 km/h and I doubt that is what most of those people are actually doing. Speed takes into account:
  • Cadence - steps per minutes
  • Length of stride
  • km/h - average over a few hours
  • km/day - total over a day of undefined length
For my own planning of the day ahead, I am aware that I usually comfortably walk
  • 6 km/h maximum if I am rushing to an appointment on a flat even path, without a loaded backpack
  • 5 km/h on a reasonably flat even surface without rushing and without a loaded backpack
  • 4 km/h on an uncomplicated path on the Camino with a backpack, allowing for a some pauses or short (5 min) stops to take photos, look around, tie my shoes, grab a snack
  • 1-3 km/h on steeper hills or difficult paths.
Generally I like to allow 6-8 hours for a 24 km stage. Does that make me a slow walker? Medium walker?

I tend to walk at around 5kph on longish walks. If I am assessing my own progress then anything under 4.5kph is slow.

I usually don't stop once I start walking unless I am really tired or I have walked more than 5 hours nonstop on the relative flat or 4 hours on the hills. More mountainous routes are exceptions.

My reason for generally not stopping or not stopping for long is that I am somewhat arthritic as a result of prior injuries and so it is painful or uncomfortable for me until I have warmed my muscles and joints up. If I stop too long my muscles cool and then it is harder for me to restart.

It is also generally more comfortable for me if I keep a steady pace.

I do stop occasionally to take in a particularly pleasant scene and/or to take a photo but usually only for a few seconds.

In general, I don't assess other people's walking pace unless I am asked for my opinion.

I am a slow walker.

Usually I walk ~3-4km/h with backpack. Less uphill. A bit more when it's flat and when there's no cafés to stop at or horrible constant rain!

I can walk faster (5-6km/h), if I have to, can even run with the heavy backpack if needed, but my natural "happy" pace is usually slower.

Of course sometimes there are days when I feel so strong that I am am much faster, but there are also days when I'll crawl up the hills at 1,5km/h...

I also love to stop often for a coffee, a beer, greet a cat or cow, take a nap...

I am slow but sometimes still walk 40km+. It just takes a bit longer!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walk about that speed, too, on the Camino, but don't consider myself a "slow walker." It seems pretty normal or average ro me.

You're of course right that 4km/h overall is not really a slow pace, probably more an average one.

I guess I still consider myself "slow", because I am still much slower uphill and tend to stop often / take many breaks. I was really slow on my first Camino, but since then have learned to take my time and not hurry even though I can and do walk faster now.

I also love to run downhill which makes up for the slow pace uphill!

So the "normal" is 3-4km/h for me "while walking" but can be much less sometimes, overall, because I took a 2hr nap, had a long picnic lunch, visited a church, put my feet into a river, ect...

I had some 12 km days that took me almost all day 😂. I'd guess that doesn't happen to a "fast" walker!

I guess I still consider myself "slow", because I am still much slower uphill and tend to stop often / take many breaks. I was really slow on my first Camino, but since then have learned to take my time and not hurry even though I can and do walk faster now.
I understand. But I object (good naturedly, I hope) to the term when it is used as a slightly apologetic or defensive description, that is not really accurate. If everyone at that speed claims to be "slow", then newcomers will get the wrong impression of typical speeds. I am "slow" in comparison to "fast" walkers, but there is a lot of room in between!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I understand. But I object (good naturedly, I hope) to the term when it is used as a slightly apologetic or defensive description, that is not really accurate. If everyone at that speed claims to be "slow", then newcomers will get the wrong impression of typical speeds. I am "slow" in comparison to "fast" walkers, but there is a lot of room in between!

You're right.

Maybe it would be better to say that sometimes I choose to be slow (nowadays), sometimes I truly am slow (uphill).

But my overall walking pace, usually, is more or less average.

Thank you for pointing that out!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Depends on what you are measuring - actual walking speed - how long it takes to do a certain number of kilometres - how many km’s you actually choose to walk.
I think my actual walking speed is around 4-5 km per hour which is considered average.
But
Some days I do a fewer kms but stop a lot and take a long time
Some days I do fewer kms relatively quickly
On an occasional 30 km day I drop to 3 km per hour average and need to follow that with a short day.
I started calling myself a slow walker, but I’m not doing that any more because I don’t want to label myself as anything except perhaps a pilgrim on the Camino.

Last edited:
Other way around here! You can here me muttering to myself when I have to go downhill ;).
Uphill for me.
Me too. You wouldn't need to be very close to hear me complaining on the way down from the Alto de Perdon or the descent through El Acebo to Molinaseca. Probably wouldn't need to understand much English to get the gist of my complaints either!

Slow Peregrinos are Wise Peregrinos

Before my first camino I met a fellow who walked the Francis from SJPdP without a blister. He said that he cooled his feet in every stream he came across, and took completed 45 days to walk to SdC.

In Boadilla we met a fellow, enjoying his 2nd or 3rd beer, happily waiting for his wife who "takes pictures and smells every flower". They measure their camino in years.

We no longer measure. My spouse says hello to every cat, dog, horse, donkey, sheep, goat, chicken, pig, bumble bee .....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Slow Peregrinos are Wise Peregrinos

Before my first camino I met a fellow who walked the Francis from SJPdP without a blister. He said that he cooled his feet in every stream he came across, and took completed 45 days to walk to SdC.

In Boadilla we met a fellow, enjoying his 2nd or 3rd beer, happily waiting for his wife who "takes pictures and smells every flower". They measure their camino in years.

We no longer measure. My spouse says hello to every cat, dog, horse, donkey, sheep, goat, chicken, pig, bumble bee .....
Heck yes. It's the journey, not the destination

I am a slow walker. I do 3km an hour without stops and perhaps 4 with a stop or two.
I have walked many caminos. I prefer a walk less than 25 km but I can do 40 if needed.
I do not think being a slow walker means that you can walk a short number of km. It means that you take your time.
Remember some of my walks from SJPdeP to Roncesvalles. Many people passed me on the climb up, stopping to see if I was OK since I walked so slowly. I might pass some of them later, worn out after a rush up the hill.
In the old days there was no need to rush the walk each days to get a place to sleep. Perhaps it is different now. Perhaps my days on the camino is gone. I do not want the rush and the crowds.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I often identify myself as a slow walker on here. Often it is in response the notion that if you walk the Frances (or any Camino) in a relatively low number of days, you are ‘rushing it’, and ‘missing out’ in all manner of ways. I guess I have tried to make the point that if we want to measure stuff, number of hours is more relevant than number of days, as some people finish at midday and some people walk into the early evening. Far too much detail though fo such a simple pursuit.

I did the Frances in 26 days largely as, after an initial plan to walk about 25km a day, with no firm time restriction, all of a sudden I did have a deadline and needed to ‘crack on’. And so I did. More of being slow in a minute, but I basically needed to cover half the walk in about 10 days so gradually had to ‘up it’ to 40kms a day. New territory for me. I guess after a week doing 25kms, doing days of 35 or 40kms didn’t feel that much harder, and coupled with motivation to ‘complete’ the walk, and often booking a hostel 40kms away gave me extra motivation (thought of losing €20 for not making a hostel was motivation indeed).

So for 40km it would take maybe 12-14 hours so an average of 3km per hour, but I would start much quicker and end much slower. I guess I would often start out at same time as much quicker folks, end up in the same place, but they would get there 3 hours before me!!!

I have no doubt there is a correlation between those who walk slow and those who cover smaller distances but there is far more to it than that.

The next time I do a Camino I hope not to have any time pressures so will see how different it is!

Ironically a chap I had dinner with the night before I started was actually running it! Pretty much a marathon a day! He passed me after a couple of minutes and I never saw him again.

Last edited:
I tend not to think of myself as a slow or fast walker. If I were to turn my mind to this, I wouldn't be looking at the speed of my walking but at the relative proportions of the pilgrims I passed vs. those who passed by me. Of course, that only works on a path with a number of other pilgrims. But if you are by yourself on the path, who cares whether you are considered "slow" or "fast"?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I tend not to think of myself as a slow or fast walker. If I were to turn my mind to this, I wouldn't be looking at the speed of my walking but at the relative proportions of the pilgrims I passed vs. those who passed by me. Of course, that only works on a path with a number of other pilgrims. But if you are by yourself on the path, who cares whether you are considered "slow" or "fast"?
I agree it doesn’t matter in isolation but it can sometimes help in context. So I think I have only mentioned being a ‘slow walker’, when I mentioned that I walk long distances per day and quite a few people assume that means I am rushing it, not taking it in etc. It used to happen a lot here, but thankfully rarely nowadays.

Well, I know I am a slow walker. I walked with 10 people between 20 and 40 years younger than me a few weeks ago and they left me in the dust! I walked at my best speed and stopped seldom and I was still the last to arrive although we all left at the same time each day.

Only one day was I not dead last and that was a day when a group waited hopefully for a bar to open for coffee.

I often read on the Forum "I'm a slow walker". What do you consider to be a slow walking pace, taking elevation out of the equation?
So, slow walkers, how long does it normally take you to walk a kilometre on level ground?
The more important part of answering that question is K/day rather than K/h -- though they're both significant.

As to K/day, "slow" means anything meaningfully below the typical average 20-25 K/day. If you're typically walking less than 20K, especially if it's 15K or so, then you're slow. (taking elevation off the table, that's overall averages)

As to K/h, average would be somewhere within the 4-5 K/h range, so slower than that is slow.

As to "fast", that would be systematically walking 5 K/h or higher, and 30K+ as a matter of course.

So people walking say 3½K/h but 25K/day shouldn't be considered "slow", nor should those walking 5K/h and 20K/day. You're "slow" if your numbers are significantly below average.

Having said that, I have become a very slow walker.

My K/day is about 12-13K average, though it can get up to 15+ or even into the 20s on a good day and on genuinely level ground ; but then just 5-10K on a slow day.

My hourly is in the 2-3 K/h range.

By contrast, my numbers on the 1994 were average 42 K/day and 6 K/h. Only on my 1993 have I ever walked at average pace and speed.

The fact that I have experience at both extremes of very fast and very slow has given me a good deal of insight into the question of relative speeds.

Last edited:
2.5 - 4 MPH depending upon the terrain. I will let you guess when I walk 2.5 MPH vs the 4 MPH! Reading the responses above, I'd say in comparison I am doggone slow.

I am most comfortable with about 20km/day. 17 seems not quite enough and 25 is almost too much. 28 IS too much.

When I walked in extreme (to me) heat I wished there was a way to walk from very early morning to late morning (noonish), rest somewhere cool for a few hours, and then walk more. I actually did this one day - checked into an albergue at noon, showered and took a nap. When I woke from my nap I realized it was still early so I just walked on and considered the money paid to the albergue for the afternoon nap a donation.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have always considered my self an average walker at 5KPH (3MPH). I think I cover more ground quickly, out in the wide open spaces. Some days it feels like I have wings and I’m flying. Some days I’ll catch myself lagging (day dreaming) at a snails pace with lead feet. I try to pick up the pace. Some days I’m very determined and strong, walking more k’s. My longest day on del Norte, 35k’s. 😅 you’ll get in a rhythm.

I’ve been told, 20 k’s in 4 hours is the same 20 k’s in 6. 😎👣 🌻 Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am a slow walker on the camino carrying my backpack. Hills are challenging. At home I walk about 4 or 4.5 kph, on the camino more like 3.5.
I am always the last to the albergue and have to haul my 72 year old ass up to the top bunk. Sorry when I curse while falling off the ladder taking my midnight trip to the bathroom. :)

I walk 5.8kph or 3.6mph. I’m considered a fast walker, but not as fast as some.

I start out at five kilometers per hour (KPH) or more, but slow down as I get tired, to around three KPH. I have a tendency to slog on, so sometimes it’s a long time at that rate. (One day I did 66 kilometers.)
I also stop to read every sign that seems like it might have historical info.

€60,-
If I only walk one kilometer it would take 14 minutes but if I continue and walk my daily 25 kilometers it takes about 8 hours so its 3 km per hour with a short stop for coffee and a sandwitch. I am old 76yrs and have prothesis on both knies. I walked from Leon to Santiago alone315 kilometers and as long as the darkness didn’t fall I enjoyed it.
Buon Camino

We average 3.5 km per hour
That means @ 12.30 a good lunch is sought ........ after the shower .
We normally commence around 6.00 hoping for brisk beautiful mornings
In 2008 we hurried , only did that once .

Last edited:
I walk 6kph on the flat but class myself as a slow walker because I keep stopping to look at stuff or for a beer/coffee/Orujo whatever. Consequently 10 hours walking gets me 30km, not 60. 😉
My man, but skip the coffee: It's for mornings, only.

I have a walking speed of ca. 5km/h, but I prefer to slow down, take 2-3 rests/day, sipping a cold beer, tortilla/choriso, and live in the now. Comfort daily distance is 20ish. Most I've done was 36 kms, so I'm capable, but it's not fun.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
47km Jimena de la Frontera to Ubrique nearly broke me and The Boy but two large Chuleta de Ternera and a lot of Rioja sorted us.
Only made it to Benaocaz the following day mind. Lunch in the Bar La Plaza finished us off

I average about 3-5km per hour. I could probably walk a little faster but I would rather be slow and comfortable than fast and uncomfortable. I prefer a maximum distance of 20km per day to accommodate my slow pace.
It also means you are able to absorb so much if your surroundings if you are not racing. Each to their own 👍🌸

Me. I’m a slow walker. I *can* walk 5K in an hour on flat land, but on Camino I averaged about 3-4 km/hr. Some days probably even less! Many things to stop and look at (interesting buildings, horses, moss) and bad knees. Say hello when you pass me!
You and me both! Also, there's so much history on camino frances that I find 4km an hr is all I'm planning...much thanks to Moon camino frances book by Beebe Behrami that allows appreciating footsteps of pilgrams centuries past :^))

€60,-
I am a slow walker. I have a shorter stride which means I can't always keep up with someone taking the same number of steps. When walking with my husband we prefer to keep our distances to under 20 km per day and often only 16 km per day. On my own I can walk further (up to 25 km) per day, but it takes me longer even if I don't make a lot of stops to rest or have a coffee.
We also have short legs being vertically challenged. On our first camino we finally found someone going slower than us.

Attachments

• 9 IMG_8067.JPG
    9 IMG_8067.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
I walk at 5.5 k/hr my friend walked at 3k/hr which meant a 30k walk would take me about 6 hrs with a little rest here n there and take her 10 hrs with no rest. Eventually she got poles and that increased her speed to about 4.5k/hr.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.