• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bathroom stops on the camino for female Peregrinas

Time of past OR future Camino
On some previous posts on this subject, some ladies were unaware of a special device that allowed them to stand while doing "it". Here is one such device:

Attachments

• 1711862255262.jpeg
    1711862255262.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 8,323
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In the interests of public health, there is a real need for public toilets along the Camino. With the number of pilgrims that are walking nowadays, the "Spanish custom" of using facilities in bars is no longer feasible. I want to suggest that this Forum should leverage its popularity to petition the local authorities to address this issue, so that female walkers can do without these ridiculous devices.

Just pretend like the bars are paying public toilets. I've never had a problem going to a café, handing over a euro to the person running it and say "por los aseos" (for the toilet) - if you want or need anything from the cafe at that point

There are still a few area's where even bars are not an option anymore regardless your willingness to pay. I remember walking from Pamplona to Puente la Reina. The bar in Zariquiegui used to allow paying customers their bathroom, but it's closed now. The last time I walked there, there was a porter potty in town but it was totally overflowed and not usable. So....I guess when nature calls......you got to use nature (properly of course and not leaving a mess behind)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
They are not ridiculous devices if it allows women to pee discretely and standing up just like men do. Without taking down their pants.
It also cuts down the TP litter plus all the 1000s of plastic bags needed for this TP if it is to be carried out by the woman.
Take a look at the P-style, which is small, light, easy to use and to keep clean.

In the interests of public health, there is a real need for public toilets along the Camino. With the number of pilgrims that are walking nowadays, the "Spanish custom" of using facilities in bars is no longer feasible. I want to suggest that this Forum should leverage its popularity to petition the local authorities to address this issue, so that female walkers can do without these ridiculous devices.
Given the small populations of many of the pueblos through which we pass, the costs of obtaining land, construction, maintenance, and servicing these toilets would be beyond local resources. There is no central Camino Authority to disburse funds for this. In a recent, related, post, I noted that Britain and France among other countries feature public facilities (fountains, toilets, etc) which are funded by endowments from prosperous individuals or private groups--- pilgrims should always feel free to explore such means of giving back to the pilgrimage.

No public health issues involved in this debate really.
Plus we discussed it more than enough on this forum in various threads that it is impossible and arrogant to hold a petition to local authorities for public toilets.

I am not fond myself of the above mentioned devices but that has more to do with me being a clumsy person. Good for those women who like to use it.
So I am perfectly fine with the discrete positioning behind a tree or other greenery or use the well kept facilities at local bars/ cafes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No public health issues involved in this debate really.
Plus we discussed it more than enough on this forum in various threads that it is impossible and arrogant to hold a petition to local authorities for public toilets.

I am not fond myself of the above mentioned devices but that has more to do with me being a clumsy person. Good for those women who like to use it.
So I am perfectly fine with the discrete positioning behind a tree or other greenery or use the well kept facilities at local bars/ cafes.
I agree with you. And who would take care of these facilities? The same Pilgrims who can’t pick up their own garbage?

Female walkers can do without "these ridiculous devices" if they wish or not. There is also clothing that we can wear that unzips. I prefer the trousers, but I understand that there are leggings that have the same function. I think we each have to find our own way to deal with natures' call! Never pass up an opportunity to use the facilities- needed much or not.

This forum has pretty well zero leverage with the local authorities. Public toilets would be extremely expensive. One way to finance them would be to charge 10 euros to issue a compostela. Now there’s a controversial proposal if ever there was one.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Along the Portugues there were at least two places/small concrete block buildings we passed that had an assortment of vending machines and two toilets, which I think were 1euro each to unlock the door. (One was in Pontecesures; don’t recall where the other one was). Not sure who kept them up (maybe the owner lived next door?), but they were definitely useable.

Attachments

• IMG_2775.png
    IMG_2775.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
This forum has pretty well zero leverage with the local authorities. Public toilets would be extremely expensive. One way to finance them would be to charge 10 euros to issue a compostela. Now there’s a controversial proposal if ever there was one.
I would pay more for the compostela-10 euros compared to prices for everything else now would not be excessive. When we first returned to Spain in 2015 and I used the ladies (am I allowed to say that) bathroom in the Chamartin Station I gagged because of how awful they were. Two years ago and and a euro?- clean with an attendant.

While the desire to help fund facilities through increased fees of any kind is nice, the point remains this:

There is *no* one authority that sponsors facilities along *any* (let alone all) of the Caminos. Not the Church, not any of the many amigo associations, not the autonomous regions, not the country.

If you want to sponsor the installation and continued maintenance of a public toilet along a Camino, or band with others to do so, then pick your desired location and start negotiating with the local authorities to see what's possible.

There's no particular benefit for local residents. Installation and maintenance of a public toilet creates no ( or at best 1) permanent jobs, nor do they bring in significant additional revenue to the location.

(BTW...the brief history of privies aalong the Appalachian Trail is both amusing and instructive) ;)

I, personally, manage my Camino in such a way (even Hospitales!) that I can wait to stop at a café and pay for the use of their restroom. That's possible for me, so that's what I do. YMM always V.

And, to address a further point, I've birthed two sons, 1 C section, 1 VBAC. As I said above, YMMV.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm not sure that a 10 euro charge would do it. On the one hand, you'd have to add to the cost of building and maintaining the public toilets the cost of managing the distribution of the money collected by the Pilgrim Office in Santiago, something I very much doubt the Cathedral authorities are interested in. On the other hand, I'm not sure it would bring in as much funding as anticipated, as you might find many people having second thoughts about how important another Compostela is to them if a 10 euro fee was added.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think this is mainly a problem for women. Men CAN manage quite easily in the open air. I once slipped over whilst trying to “go” quickly at the side of the steep track down to El Acebo and ended up with a bloodied nose.
On the Le Puy Camino in France, I came across two public toilets, so it obviously IS possible. The Portuguese model, mentioned above, sounds viable. Combining the facility with money-making snack vending machines is very clever.

I understand that many who set out to walk the Camino may not have experienced having to pee outdoors. But being able to do so, without peeing on your shoes/clothes, etc., is simply a matter or learning a new skill. For most, It does not require bringing a pee device. You might consider practicing this in your shower (or similar) at home, etc. before you leave on a trip where you may be miles from a restroom, etc. at times. Wearing a hiking skirt may make things easier, but is not necessary. I am 83 years old and have always managed to travel this way through multiple Caminos and other long trips throughout the world. And, please, Leave No Trace--do not leave tp along the trail!

Sorry but if impossible to always sync with availability of toilet facilities, just get on with learning how to use nature in a discrete and unobtrusive way, and as others have said, carrying away any TP.

If you can learn how to do it without having to remove your pack or your Altus raincoat, even better!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
They are not ridiculous devices if it allows women to pee discretely and standing up just like men do. Without taking down their pants.
It also cuts down the TP litter plus all the 1000s of plastic bags needed for this TP if it is to be carried out by the woman.
Take a look at the P-style, which is small, light, easy to use and to keep clean.
Or you can buy a Kula Cloth. I always carry one. Leaves no trace and you don’t need plastic to store it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ah, but I expect you have not birthed babies. Trust me, once you have done so, "planning" is not always so easy.
So just pee in them?
No thanks.
Besides, I've seen them left along the path along with TP!
Gosh people, just squat pee, and carry your paper out or go in a bar and leave €1
It's not that hard.

Si si

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree entirely with u, a €10 or 20€ fee on receiving the compostela as a fee to walk the camino regardless of distance to be walked. This could be spent on portaloos and the mainiaince of them by local councils. This would also create employment.
I actually posted this same idea several years ago after walking my 3 or 4th camino. After all several countries charge a tourist tax when u visit a country as a holiday maker. Nz charges $30.

You couldn’t really expect Spanish pilgrims to pay a tourist tax, they live there and they already pay taxes. The funding raised from even 100,000 extranos isn’t going to go far over 800km of trail. About €7 per km per week at a €30 fee. Wouldn’t even cover the cost of the bog rolls. Maybe we should suggest a €300 fee. That’ll reduce the crap and no one would ever need to actually build the “houses”

I did use a pretty cool "portapotty" near Amsterdam some years back. I think I paid €1 put into a slot. The door opened, I went in, the door closed, I used it, and when I finished, the door closed and the whole thing was "washed down" inside and sanitized. Pretty cool, really, but it was in town where there was electricity.

So just pee in them?
No, Annie, I don't pee in them! 😅
I started using a small thin day pad. It is just for catching drips after squatting. One lasts me all day when no bar/restrooms are around. It then goes in a sandwich bag and tossed in the trash when ending my day. Saves messing with TP.

I started using a small thin day pad. It is just for catching drips after squatting. One lasts me all day when no bar/restrooms are around. It then goes in a sandwich bag and tossed in the trash when ending my day. Saves messing with TP.
::😆: I just. couldn't. do. that. ::😆::

You couldn’t really expect Spanish pilgrims to pay a tourist tax, they live there and they already pay taxes. The funding raised from even 100,000 extranos isn’t going to go far over 800km of trail. About €7 per km per week at a €30 fee. Wouldn’t even cover the cost of the bog rolls. Maybe we should suggest a €300 fee. That’ll reduce the crap and no one would ever need to actually build the “houses”
Naturally one wouldnt expect Spanish to pay the Camino Fee but even ,as u suggest, the amount raised may not cover a great amount of porta potties, but even subsidizing the cost of the loos or to cover cost of trash cans etc would be beneficial to the local environment.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think this is mainly a problem for women. Men CAN manage quite easily in the open air. I once slipped over whilst trying to “go” quickly at the side of the steep track down to El Acebo and ended up with a bloodied nose.
On the Le Puy Camino in France, I came across two public toilets, so it obviously IS possible. The Portuguese model, mentioned above, sounds viable. Combining the facility with money-making snack vending machines is very clever.
Except who wants to see all those vending machines and toilet facilities along a Camino route? I certainly don't. People I assume are more than capable of living without them (is carrying water and a snack so difficult?).

After walking 20+ Caminos over the last 13 years - yes, as a woman - I've yet to have an issue. Once a truck suddenly came down a dirt road just as I was swatting, oh well. It happens.

Just pretend like the bars are paying public toilets. I've never had a problem going to a café, handing over a euro to the person running it and say "por los aseos" (for the toilet) - if you want or need anything from the cafe at that point
I agree and do leave something as they loose quite a few toilet rolls due to pilgrims experiencing a shortfall at some albergues. Whilst this doesn’t excuse them, what goes round comes around so buy a drink or leave what you can for the Servicios!

I would pay more for the compostela-10 euros compared to prices for everything else now would not be excessive. When we first returned to Spain in 2015 and I used the ladies (am I allowed to say that) bathroom in the Chamartin Station I gagged because of how awful they were. Two years ago and and a euro?- clean with an attendant.
That bathroom was amazing, no? Everything except wiping you afterwards!

Way to go! I've been using thin panty liners on all Caminos for the last 20 years. It's just one less thing to think about and they don't weigh anything.

Of course thin pads weigh something. Walk for 45 days & bring along 45 of them. How much does that weigh?
Now think about the trash? If over 200,000 women walked at least 1 week? How many thin pads would that be adding to trash? Close to 1.5 million.
Sorry, but for me, this is not a good answer to the problem.

Gosh people, just squat pee, and carry your paper out or go in a bar and leave €1
It's not that hard.

After walking 20+ Caminos over the last 13 years - yes, as a woman - I've yet to have an issue.

Over the years I’ve resisted getting invovled with this topic because I don’t understand why it needs discussion. But want to add my voice to @Anniesantiago and @LTfit - I entirely agree with you both. This topic comes up so regularly - and I just don’t get it. If I need to pee and can’t wait for the next bar or my accommodation - often the case on the quieter paths where the next loo could be at the end of the day’s walk - I do exactly as Annie describes. And I’ve never left any paper or other waste behind. The same as if I were on a day’s hike at home with no facilities.🤷🏼‍♀️

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Of course thin pads weigh something. Walk for 45 days & bring along 45 of them. How much does that weigh?
Now think about the trash? If over 200,000 women walked at least 1 week? How many thin pads would that be adding to trash? Close to 1.5 million.

There is only a problem if one wants to make one out of it.

Plenty of female peregrinas (inc me) have already explained how we manage. It’s sometimes known as “the green room”

Ps one doesn’t have to come over to Spain armed with 45 days of liners, if one wants to use them. Spanish towns have supermercados. I wouldn’t lug around 45 days worth of anything that is easily purchasable / topped up along the way. But FTR liners are super-light…

But being able to do so, without peeing on your shoes/clothes, etc., is simply a matter or learning a new skill. For most, It does not require bringing a pee device.
“For most” yes. Someone mentioned a bloody nose. I know people who can walk but cannot squat without two people to help them kepp it a “squat” instead of a “sit” (and to help them get back up).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Personally, I don't see where they are a lot more wasteful then mounds of TP wrapped up in a plastic baggy and disposed of in a receptacle. You don't need to bring all of them from home...they do sell them in Spain, too; it's a first world country.

On some previous posts on this subject, some ladies were unaware of a special device that allowed them to stand while doing "it". Here is one such device:
I’ve heard of these devices, and I didn’t use them on the trail, I used the natural way. It was when I needed to do the other job that I struggled. No bathrooms, no toilet paper and luckily I was near a field.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.