• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ruesta - dinner AND lunch?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I'm making a reservation at the albergue in Ruesta and they've asked which meals I want. I'll definitely get the dinner, but is it worthwhile to get the lunch too? I don't know if I can wait until I get there to decide on the lunch. It looks like there's a place in Artieda where I can stop for a meal.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm making a reservation at the albergue in Ruesta and they've asked which meals I want. I'll definitely get the dinner, but is it worthwhile to get the lunch too? I don't know if I can wait until I get there to decide on the lunch. It looks like there's a place in Artieda where I can stop for a meal.
I talked to the folks in Ruesta today, breakfast is no earlier than 09:00 so you may want to consider that. We booked dinner and will carry enough for lunch in and out of Ruesta. Good luck.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I talked to the folks in Ruesta today, breakfast is no earlier than 09:00 so you may want to consider that. We booked dinner and will carry enough for lunch in and out of Ruesta. Good luck.
I wasn't planning on breakfast because I prefer to walk a couple of hours or so before eating. And I definitely would get fidgety if I had to wait until 9 am!

I left Ruesta at 8:30 and had lunch at 1:30 in Undués de Lerda. I arrived at Sangüesa at about 4:00. Breakfast must have come out of my snack sack. It was a rare day in that I had a served lunch and dinner both.

Edit: The above is correct and may be useful but I see now that it doesn't answer @trecile's question so don't get as confused as I did.

Last edited:
I left Ruesta at 8:30 and had lunch at 1:30 in Undués de Lerda. I arrived at Sangüesa at about 4:00. Breakfast must have come out of my snack sack. It was a rare day in that I had a served lunch and dinner both.
I normally eat most of my meals at the albergue or a bar while on the Camino - rarely a picnic!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
is it worthwhile to get the lunch too?
What time do you expect to arrive? I suspect you would be better off getting lunch along the way. Assuming you have stayed in Arrés, you have a 28km+ walk (there´s nowhere else in between except Artieda) so arriving in time for lunch would be a push. Artieda would be your best bet for midday stop and unless you have breakfast in Arrés, brunch.

What time do you expect to arrive? I suspect you would be better off getting lunch along the way. Assuming you have stayed in Arrés, you have a 28km+ walk (there´s nowhere else in between except Artieda) so arriving in time for lunch would be a push. Artieda would be your best bet for midday stop and unless you have breakfast in Arrés, brunch.
That's pretty much what I thought. I have replied to them that I want dinner only. I will pack snacks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If I remember correctly, Artieda is up a steep hill to the left, and the camino goes by the bottom of it. The hospitelera at Arres suggested getting a bocadillo from the bar in Arres the night before, and that was a very good idea!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If I remember correctly, Artieda is up a steep hill to the left, and the camino goes by the bottom of it. The hospitelera at Arres suggested getting a bocadillo from the bar in Arres the night before, and that was a very good idea!
When I went to Artieda I walked up the road.I don't even remember if their was a path or not, was there? I don't remember the road being that difficult to walk up, but I will find out this year when I walk again. I ended up eating lunch in Artieda as I left my bag with food somewhere earlier when I stopped and once again didn't remember to take it Ugggg! The people in that albergue were super nice and the food was good. I may stay in this albergue in Artieda this time and then take a leisurely walk to Ruesta the next day.

That's pretty much what I thought. I have replied to them that I want dinner only. I will pack snacks.
A good example of how things may change in the same albergue from year to year or the time of year you walk. When I walked two years ago it was in late October. I never called. I was told the albergue was open. Others have said that you need to prebook dinner and breakfast. When I arrived I had a small meal and was asked upon check in if I wanted dinner and breakfast. There were only 3 of us there and the other two people were touring on a motorcycle. They left breakfast out the night before for us. Dinner was excellent, breakfast not so much. So much can change in just a few years. I will call ahead this year to make sure I can get dinner.

@trecile this is what I just wrote about my lunch in Artieda 2 years ago. Hope this helps.
I ended up eating lunch in Artieda as I left my bag with food somewhere earlier when I stopped and once again didn't remember to take it Ugggg! The people in that albergue were super nice and the food was good.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Maybe they are offering a lunch to go? That you can take and eat along the way. I know one of the aubergues I booked did. I

Hi all, the lunch stop in Artieda was excellent, ok it was a climb up the hill but the views were worth the extra metres. Ruesta, I didn't book dinner or breakfast until checking in. Dinner was good served by very friendly staff, breakfast was left out so we could eat and leave at whatever time we liked. As mentioned by It56ny above, breakfast was only ok. I'd stay in Arteida if walking again . I loved the abandoned village of Ruesta. Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @trecile I’ve stayed twice in Ruesta and enjoyed it. The first time I didn’t stop at Artieda on the way, but the second time I did. I had a good lunch there and enjoyed the break. I particularly remember taking shoes and socks off and relaxing in a hammock. Also lovely views from there. And still arrived in Ruesta with plenty of time for washing etc.

I think @Roamingallover may be right - the lunch offer is for the next day? But in Undues de Lerda both times I was there - the last time in 2019 - the cafe had good food and there’s a lovely square to sit and enjoy 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
I think @Roamingallover may be right - the lunch offer is for the next day?
I reread the email that they set me an it says:

Los horarios de cocina son:
- Desayunos desde las 9:00 hasta las 11.00 hrs.
- Comidas desde las 13.30 hasta las 15.30 hrs.
- Cenas desde las 20.00 hasta las 21.15 hrs.
*El menú peregrino cuesta 14€ e incluye primero y segundo plato, postre, agua, vino y gaseosa
*Recuerda reservar el servicio de comidas, es muy importante para nosotras.

So, I'm assuming that they means that comida (lunch) would be eaten there. However, I have written to them to ask if I can buy lunch to take with me the next day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Now I think about it, the first time I walked there - with no stop from Arres - I arrived in Ruesta early afternoon so I guess that’s what the lunch offer is about. And if walking only from Artieda one would definitely arrive by lunchtime. 😎

Most read last week in this forum

I wrote this long-winded post to address some of the recent concerns, comments and questions regarding this route, and I hope some might find it useful. I flew from Dublin to Lourdes on the 18th...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back