• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Diving deep into an abandoned village - Ruesta

Old Hillwalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Del Norte 2022
While slowly making my way along the Camino Aragon, Jutting above the trees, I saw ahead of me a towering structure that appeared to be part of a castle. Excited, and intrigued I breathlessly strode ahead and soon entered the abandoned village of Ruesta. What a sad, beautiful and lonely place. Hidden among the ruins was, I discovered, a tiny Albergue and outdoor lunch spot. I should have stayed but it was too early in the day to stop. So after about an hour of hanging out and carefully peering through rubble clogged streets and broken walls I reluctantly continued my journey by my faithful "shanks mare". The memories of that short visit have remained etched into my imagination for nearly ten years now. Until, yesterday I discovered an amazing document about the Village of Ruesta.

For those of you who have walked through this poignant fragment of the past on the Camino Aragon, here is something you might like: http://www.iberica2000.org/Es/Articulo.asp?Id=3646 Old Hillwalker

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Your post brought back memories of the Aragones Way. I've stayed twice in the albergue in Ruesta - in 2016 and 2019 - though the albergue is not so tiny now. Beautiful and atmospheric especially walking out in the morning mist to make your way to the next village. A wonderful experience both times. Thank you for the link

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you @Old Hillwalker; I've only skimmed through the information so far but I intend to get back to it soon. I would like to supplement what you have posted though.

Walking the camino high above the Yesa you encounter blue painted stones. These piedras azules are a form of protest and a call for action. They have been placed to mark the planned high water of an enhanced damming of the Yesa. It is this flooding that forced the abandonment of Ruesta. The stones show how the flooding will affect ruins and landmarks along the camino and the path of the camino itself. The full flooding may not happen during our lifetimes though as climate change is affecting the amount of water that reaches the dam (less) and also the amount of water that needs to be drawn off for use (more).

The project that is fighting the damming, Yesa No, has a web page for the blue stones at
http://www.yesano.com/noticias2010/piedrasazules.html

(I've got to say, Yesa No sounds a little weird to English speakers ears.)

Just a short ways past Ruesta on the camino you will come across a blue stone at the ruins of the Ermita de Ruesta. Google Maps has a link to the location and a few photos but I'll supply mine too.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/XXZ4trE5QCQEKQTU6

IMG_20191106_090354.jpg
IMG_20191106_090312.jpg

Thank you @Old Hillwalker; I've only skimmed through the information so far but I intend to get back to it soon. I would like to supplement what you have posted though.

Walking the camino high above the Yesa you encounter blue painted stones. These piedras azules are a form of protest and a call for action. They have been placed to mark the planned high water of an enhanced damming of the Yesa. It is this flooding that forced the abandonment of Ruesta. The stones show how the flooding will affect ruins and landmarks along the camino and the path of the camino itself. The full flooding may not happen during our lifetimes though as climate change is affecting the amount of water that reaches the dam (less) and also the amount of water that needs to be drawn off for use (more).

The project that is fighting the damming, Yesa No, has a web page for the blue stones at
http://www.yesano.com/noticias2010/piedrasazules.html

(I've got to say, Yesa No sounds a little weird to English speakers ears.)

Just a short ways past Ruesta on the camino you will come across a blue stone at the ruins of the Ermita de Ruesta. Google Maps has a link to the location and a few photos but I'll supply mine too.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/XXZ4trE5QCQEKQTU6

View attachment 118922
View attachment 118923
Yes, I remember the blue stones. There was also a "high water mark" painted on the wall with the sea serpent painted on it.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
View attachment 118933

You can get a 360⁰ Google Streetview of the Frontón de Ruesta here:
Yep, that's the one. My current research is on the Ruined "Castle" near the Village of Monreal on the Camino Aragon. Some intriguing photos, but no history yet.

Eloko erretetxea/Palacio real de Monreal​

Never will forget walking toward the mountain of Monreal and its antenna farm seemingly for days until it was behind me.

As far as I know the “Yesa embalse“ has never been filled to the top in its present size due to the lack of rain. There is no reason to make it bigger than it is now, cause it will never be filled completely. Most of the artificial lakes in spain face the same problem, as you can see in Galicia (ghost village of Aceredo). Whenever I passed the bridge before Portomarin (twice) the lake was empty. The former lower bridge was visible.
My guess: Ruesta will still be there in 25 years.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
While slowly making my way along the Camino Aragon, Jutting above the trees, I saw ahead of me a towering structure that appeared to be part of a castle. Excited, and intrigued I breathlessly strode ahead and soon entered the abandoned village of Ruesta. What a sad, beautiful and lonely place. Hidden among the ruins was, I discovered, a tiny Albergue and outdoor lunch spot. I should have stayed but it was too early in the day to stop. So after about an hour of hanging out and carefully peering through rubble clogged streets and broken walls I reluctantly continued my journey by my faithful "shanks mare". The memories of that short visit have remained etched into my imagination for nearly ten years now. Until, yesterday I discovered an amazing document about the Village of Ruesta.

For those of you who have walked through this poignant fragment of the past on the Camino Aragon, here is something you might like: http://www.iberica2000.org/Es/Articulo.asp?Id=3646 Old Hillwalker
I imagen the sadness of visiting Ruesta,and thinking of all the people having to live their houses. Thank you for the link very good article.

We stayed overnight 1st Aug 2019. The albergue is actually quite large, seemingly to cater for groups and there was an information centre run by the UGT (one of the more left-orientated Spanish trade unions). The villagers were moved out in the 50's and never received remotely the compensation they were entitled and I think are still fighting for. The water levels have never even approached the original planned levels, so the plan to raise them is mystifying. There were some odd characters hanging around there, but the lady running the albergue was very welcoming and provided an excellent meal. Yes, an atmospheric and rather sad little place. I had visions of it becoming a training centre for building restoration but as our Spanish walking companions told us, under the present administration in Aragon, nothing like that is ever going to happen.
DSC05828.JPGDSC05832.JPGDSC05834.JPGDSC05835.JPG

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.