• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best route into Burgos

Annesd

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (March 24’)
Need opinions: I am walking from Villafranca Montes de Oca to Burgos tomorrow, which route into Burgos should I take? The guide books and apps show 2 ways into Burgos. Any opinions on which path is less complicated?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
River path. The other path is simply the outskirts of Burgos and is very commercial/industrial area. You walk along concrete sidewalk.

The river path takes you around the airport and then along a path following the river into Burgos. Very nice walk, shade, other walkers from Burgos out enjoying their day.

Last time I really wanted to take the river path, but completely missed the spot where the paths diverged from each other. Any tips on how to spot the turn off to the river path, from those who have taken it? The standard route through the industrial outskirts of Burgos is not the most scenic!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After Orbaneja Riopico the route crosses over the major AP-1 road. About 200m beyond the bridge there is a small modern housing complex. Turn left off the main road there. Where the bins are on the Google Streetmap view. The path loops back a little then eventually runs along the airport perimeter fence.

burgos1.jpg
burgos2.jpg

According to Gronze the Castanares variant is currently closed due to construction works. Or maybe is not, because it only states that for "March". But as we all know, public construction sites can take longer to finish than planned...
However, having walked the alternative myself and having talked to people having taken the "official" route I'd personally take my chances with the construction site. Walking through industrial areas and city outskirts does not really appeal to me.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Need opinions: I am walking from Villafranca Montes de Oca to Burgos tomorrow, which route into Burgos should I take? The guide books and apps show 2 ways into Burgos. Any opinions on which path is less complicated?
River path, but not the easiest route to find.

Once you have passed Orbaneja de Riopico and crossed the motorway, make a left downhill at the first set of homes you encounter, on to a dirt trail. You should end up walking beside the security fence of the Burgos airport for about (roughly) 2 kms, this fence will always be on your right and you literally walk by it. This dirt trail ends in a 'village' called Castañares, traversed by a busy highway and surrounded by roads and ugly development. Once you have reached the busy highway, ignore the arrows you will see taking you to the right (along the busy highway). Cross the highway and you will see arrows that take you to the river route. From there it is well marked to Burgos city centre. And a pleasant stroll.

Last time I went by, there were no indications or arrows towards Castañares/river path,/airport fence. But the dirt trail is there. This was two weeks ago.

River path, but not the easiest route to find.

Once you have passed Orbaneja de Riopico and crossed the motorway, make a left downhill at the first set of homes you encounter, on to a dirt trail. You should end up walking beside the security fence of the Burgos airport for about (roughly) 2 kms, this fence will always be on your right and you literally walk by it. This dirt trail ends in a 'village' called Castañares, traversed by a busy highway and surrounded by roads and ugly development. Once you have reached the busy highway, ignore the arrows you will see taking you to the right (along the busy highway). Cross the highway and you will see arrows that take you to the river route. From there it is well marked to Burgos city centre. And a pleasant stroll.

Last time I went by, there were no indications or arrows towards Castañares/river path,/airport fence. But the dirt trail is there. This was two weeks ago.
Awesome! This is super helpful. I appreciate the detail of the route.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks so much for the advice on how to find the river path, this will make things way easier next month than how it went for me last year! I really appreciate it!

We missed the turnoff before the airport and ended up taking the long industrial route into town. If I were you, I'd take the river route. The airport way is stressful.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Does anyone know if the Jimenez bus runs from Villafranca Montes de Oca to Castañares? On their website it looks like it does, but some recent comments on the Forum have me questioning.

And if it does, where is the bus stop in Castañares?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I did that section 17 months ago and the Buen Camino App worked like a charm for the river route. The early crossover on Avenida de la Constitucion Espanola only had 2 arrows pointing to the left and no real crosswalk and was missed by all the other pilgrims I saw. Just as well as it would be safer to cross over on Calle San Juan Ramon Jimenez. I really enjoyed the river route and it’s “park-like” setting. Especially after doing the industrial route last time which was brutal.
Also My friend walked the river path not that long ago and he walked on the south side of the river into town on a concrete path he said.
When I walked right next to the river on the north side, and it was grass and dirt and soft on the feet. You can see how peaceful it was below…
IMG_6477.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last May, I had intended to take the river path, having walked that way in 2014. But I missed a turning straight after I had crossed the motorway. There was a temporary bridge, and I went straight on rather than down the steps. I suddenly realised I was wrong when I found the airport fence was on my left rather than my right. Rather than back track, I continued. Yes, the walk through the industrial estates is very urban, but it was interesting never the less, as a contrast to the rural walk before then. There are times when it's good to be reminded that all parts of the camino, whether pretty or ugly, are equally valid.

According to Gronze the Castanares variant is currently closed due to construction works. Or maybe is not, because it only states that for "March". But as we all know, public construction sites can take longer to finish than planned...
However, having walked the alternative myself and having talked to people having taken the "official" route I'd personally take my chances with the construction site. Walking through industrial areas and city outskirts does not really appeal to me.

Yes, last October, we all missed the turning because of the road works. The sign posts point us to the right.

I took the river route two years ago, it was very nice.

I had no trouble following the route. I would think the initial turn to the left after the highway is the most like turn people miss.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I second the river. I walked last August. Walk around airport and into the city was …ugh

Hi,

I just walked through the alternative route this morning. Yes there are signs initially of some construction further over. But route fully open down to Castanares.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
After Orbaneja Riopico the route crosses over the major AP-1 road. About 200m beyond the bridge there is a small modern housing complex. Turn left off the main road there. Where the bins are on the Google Streetmap view. The path loops back a little then eventually runs along the airport perimeter fence.

View attachment 167286
View attachment 167285
That is a great illustration of the optimal path. We walked it last October and found it very confusing. We turned left, as you suggest, and had a pleasant walk around the airport and along the river path. But, as I recall, there were no markings or arrows to guide us. We got advice from a construction crew. Your picture is very helpful.

At all costs, take the river route even if you have to walk around a construction site. The other route is possibly the worst 6-8 kms of ANY camino!
OH I dont know! The "original" Camino from San Miguel del Camino (or even slightly before) to Hospital de Orbigo right along that highway.... eating fumes and dust.... that has to be a contender!

OH I dont know! The "original" Camino from San Miguel del Camino (or even slightly before) to Hospital de Orbigo right along that highway.... eating fumes and dust.... that has to be a contender!
Indeed. That's why I take the alternative route via Villar de Mazarife. Peace.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Turn left at McDonalds IIRC for any that still need the info

Not all of the camino will be pleasing on the eye or enjoyable either so you may need to adjust your expectations. At least most of the city walking is flat

Interestingly, Gronze does not show the "green" alternate route that my Brierley map shows, and don't think I have noticed it mentioned before on the forum. It is a 4.5k variant/detour and I have walked it twice. It is lovely, isolated and has a faraway view of Burgos from high up in the distance. It eventually merges with the main route on the road shortly before turning to go around the airport. This detour was a highlight for me!
Screenshot_20240404-114027~2.pngScreenshot_20240404-114115~3.png
Screenshot_20240404-120142~2.pngScreenshot_20240404-120149~2.png

Last edited:
Last time I really wanted to take the river path, but completely missed the spot where the paths diverged from each other. Any tips on how to spot the turn off to the river path, from those who have taken it? The standard route through the industrial outskirts of Burgos is not the most scenic!
I missed it too, got very lost than luckily spotted a Dutch friend and followed him into Burgos, lovely path worth finding 😁

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
PLEASE NOTE:
(Sorry mods if this is shouting but I wish to draw to every pilgrim a message about the barracks/airport option).
When you take the path (off the overpass) please walk the extra 50 metres towards the barracks and then continue AROUND the farmers grain crop. PLEASE DO NOT WALK ACROSS IT. Back in 2017 (early May) the farmers crop was about 500mm high but lazy, uncaring pilgrims had cut a path one metre wide straight across it. I all but lost my temper yelling at a lazy uncaring female pilgrim. PLEASE remember we pilgrims are visitors to Spain. Do not walk across a field planted with grain or other food crops. Thank You and Buen Camino.

Most definitely the river path! I ignored all the advice and took the shorter road route. What a mistake!! Mile after mile of industrial hell and no place to stop for food or restrooms until you get to the Burger King and McDonalds at the edge of town. I was never so happy to see a Burger King! Others that chose the river route told me how nice it was.

There are yellow arrows but not enough to rely on them alone. We used the Wise Pilgrim app which has the river route on its map - turn location sharing on for the app and you can easily navigate the river route without getting lost as it always will show your real time location in relation to the route so you know if you are on the path or not.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back