• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Injury that ended Camino

Charles Ross

Time of past OR future Camino
Two people to walk the Camino de Santiago in the spring of (2018)
I and my Partner set out from Porto March 16th with the intention of reaching Santiago on or about April 1st. We reached Tui, checked into a hotel and went out to dinner. On the way back to the hotel, my partner slipped on the sidewalk and twisted her ankle. We limped back to the hotel and, next day, taxied to the train to get us into Pontevedra, a comparatively major city on the Camino.

We checked into the Hotel Avenida de Pontevedra. The manager urged us to get it looked at and made a few recommendations. We went to the public hospital near the hotel, had an examination and X-rays. It was determined that the ankle was fractured in two places and she could simply not walk on it. It was so serious that the surgeon suggested we return to our home city, Portland, Oregon, and go immediately to the hospital emergency. Once again, employees and management at this hotel were just outstanding in the help and advice offered. I can't say enough about these people.

When we got back to the hotel they brought a chair out to the taxi and carried her up to our room on the 3rd floor! Think about this: we were halfway around the world from our home, immobilized, and having to go home NOW!

I spent a couple of hours searching for connections that would work and eventually settled on Vigo-Madrid-JFK-Portland; total one way price for two was about $2,800. (Keep in mind that the initial cost, round trip, Portland-Lisbon-Portland was $980 for two people). We had two connections to make, one was a 3 hour layover at JFK. We barely made them. when you are disabled, you get off the plane last. You have to wait for an aisle chair and then be transferred to a regular wheel chair.

At JFK we nominally had plenty of time but had to wait for the aisle chair. Then customs, then getting our bags, rechecking them, then transfer to new people at Delta who would get us to our next flight, go through security again and then run about a quarter mile to gate 53, terminal 4 to catch a flight that was finished loading and waiting for us!!

We are not newbies. This was our 3rd Camino and, nominally, the shortest one. I've long thought of travel in Europe as enjoyment, good experiences and fulfillment, never seriously considering what a position we'd be in with a serious illness or injury.

What we learned from this. People in Spain were incredibly helpful. When my friend fell down we were quickly surrounded by a dozen people, individuals, families, all very sympathetic and concerned. They called the police, transportation was called. Taxi drivers, the people at the hospital, the Avenida Hotel. We are really shocked at how helpful people were.

Here in Portland, if you are on the ground you might have a few people step over you before some asks how you are. (and that's no exaggeration!). Occasionally life presents situations where you quickly realize that you are totally screwed with no immediate, workable options in front of you and it all becomes a triage, solve this problem, make this connection, pay this money and move on to the next. Also, we learned that there is very little that is not solvable if you are willing to throw a lot of money at it!! That's it.

IMG_3539.jpeg

IMG_3553.jpeg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, people can be truly wonderful. And Camino Angels surround us in the most unexpected ways and places. I'm so glad you got home safely. Hopefully all will be well with your partner. We never know where are pilgrimages will take us, do we? Peace!

I'm so sorry that this happened. I also had a Camino ending injury in Portugal in 2022 - right after I came out of isolation from Covid! I was all alone when I broke my wrist when I slipped and fell on a jetty (it was the afternoon, and I had finished my walking for the day). A family came to my rescue and took me to a beach bar where they applied ice and called an ambulance.

My break was a compound fracture, so they had to do surgery that day to immobilize it, then I had a second surgery in Portugal about a week later to insert a metal plate. The care that I received was outstanding, and my AXA travel insurance reimbursed me 100%.

My daughter flew over right away to "spring" me from the hospital, though they said that I could stay as long as I needed. My husband came over a couple of days later, and we enjoyed some sightseeing in and around Porto. Fortunately, with my injury I remained mobile. I was lucky that I didn't break anything else!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm so sorry that this happened. I also had a Camino ending injury in Portugal in 2022 - right after I came out of isolation from Covid! I was all alone when I broke my wrist when I slipped and fell on a jetty (it was the afternoon, and I had finished my walking for the day). A family came to my rescue and took me to a beach bar where they applied ice and called an ambulance.

My break was a compound fracture, so they had to do surgery that day to immobilize it, then I had a second surgery in Portugal about a week later to insert a metal plate. The care that I received was outstanding, and my AXA travel insurance reimbursed me 100%.

My daughter flew over right away to "spring" me from the hospital, though they said that I could stay as long as I needed. My husband came over a couple of days later, and we enjoyed some sightseeing in and around Porto. Fortunately, with my injury I remained mobile. I was lucky that I didn't break anything else!
I remember your story and actually thought about you in the middle of our travails. I think we were pushing it all, injury or not. I'm 73 and Karen, my partner is 77. Maybe it's our last full Camino. Thanks for sympathy from a person who really knows!!

I'm so sorry this happened to your partner and to you.
And I understand what you're saying about how wonderful the Spanish people are vs. Portland.
I moved from there 3 years ago after living there for over 30 years.
I hope your partner heals quickly and you can return to finish your Camino in good time!
Best wishes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Charles Ross , I feel for your partner and yourself. It’s rough. I’m currently in hospital with exactly the same issue. Two days ago I was walking the Jakobsweg (Camino) here in Germany, with just one and a half days to go. Trod on a concealed rock, it moved and over I went. No one around - it’s a summer or weekend walk for most. Fortunately I was very near a major town ( which also hosts the local regional hospital) my phone worked just fine, and I speak enough German to be understood. Once the ambulance service found the path - I could see their lights through the trees- I was able to guide them to me with my whistle.

The hospital assessed me, and operated a few hours later. I’ve now got a plate and a bunch of screws in my ankle.

My biggest problem is boredom! I’m a couple of hundred kms from home, and they won’t let me leave until my son gets home from England. Already chewed through my normal month’s worth of data, and at present have no roommate - he left yesterday morning. ( At least I got to sleep last night !) But I’ll survive.

Fantastic care! But, here in Europe,I have to say that’s the rule, rather than the exception. It’s harder in a foreign language, but whether it’s Portugal, Spain, Italy or Germany people generally go out of their way to help. It’s a shame that’s not your experience at home.

No walking for your partner or I for a while. I hope that your partner recovers so well that she feels up to walking the Camino again, like most of us on here, I appreciate how special/ meaningful it is.

All the best to the both of you.

Peter

@Charles Ross , I feel for your partner and yourself. It’s rough. I’m currently in hospital with exactly the same issue. Two days ago I was walking the Jakobsweg (Camino) here in Germany, with just one and a half days to go. Trod on a concealed rock, it moved and over I went. No one around - it’s a summer or weekend walk for most. Fortunately I was very near a major town ( which also hosts the local regional hospital) my phone worked just fine, and I speak enough German to be understood. Once the ambulance service found the path - I could see their lights through the trees- I was able to guide them to me with my whistle.

The hospital assessed me, and operated a few hours later. I’ve now got a plate and a bunch of screws in my ankle.

My biggest problem is boredom! I’m a couple of hundred kms from home, and they won’t let me leave until my son gets home from England. Already chewed through my normal month’s worth of data, and at present have no roommate - he left yesterday morning. ( At least I got to sleep last night !) But I’ll survive.

Fantastic care! But, here in Europe,I have to say that’s the rule, rather than the exception. It’s harder in a foreign language, but whether it’s Portugal, Spain, Italy or Germany people generally go out of their way to help. It’s a shame that’s not your experience at home.

No walking for your partner or I for a while. I hope that your partner recovers so well that she feels up to walking the Camino again, like most of us on here, I appreciate how special/ meaningful it is.

Peter

Oh no @Peterexpatkiwi!

Travel insurance is essential particularly if repatriation is required
it cost over €50,000 to fly my partner back to Ireland from Greece.
Don’t know what we would have done without it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, travel insurance is absolutely essential.

Even with EHIC/GHIC cards available to some of us, that only covers emergency medical treatment that can’t wait till you can get to your ‘home’ health system.

Peter
We're so sorry to hear of your experience. We talked about how much worse it could have been for us had this happened in a more remote setting. From beginning to end we had services to move and treat us; it was expensive, a hassle but doable. You were in a dangerous place being injured, alone, with perhaps with dangerous exposure conditions had you been out there a substantial amount of time. I'm curious as to your age and your previous experience walking long distances and, most of all, do you feel right now that you want to get back on the path?

I just wanted to add some information that may be of interest to what I originally wrote above. We left on our journey on March 12th and were to return home on April 23rd. Most of our trip had nothing to do with walking a path. When we were to leave Santiago in early April we did not have firm plans on where we were going. The only pre-paid stays and transportation we had were the following:
Eurail Passes: 10 days of travel in two months. @ $800 total cost, non-refundable. We had used one of the ten days. We informed Eurail that our trip was over really not expecting anything. They responded that because it was an injury they would CONSIDER refunding a portion of our fees. I suggested 50% would be more than fair as we were about 50% through our trip. They quickly refunded 90% of what we had paid! I was amazed at this consideration.
We booked one night at the Moure Hotel in Santiago, non-refundable. We had stayed there before and had a great experience. We informed them of the situation, really not expecting anything and they converted our payment to a credit we could use at any point in the future!! There are many reasons I want to return to Santiago de Compostela and now i have one more!
Finally, we splurged two nights at the Parador de Santiago; (we've been in the lobby before; it's really nice!) Also non-refundable as we understood all these reservations to be so and expected nothing. Non-refundable it was! Nada, Nichts! Ok.
We had not purchased travel insurance for this or any previous trip. What we did have were credit cards geared toward travel that offered $2,500 in emergency medical care and substantial 'trip interruption' insurance that would pay most of the costs of repatriation and cancelled travel plans that were non-refundable. We also had a supplemental Medicare Part B policy that provided up to $50,000 in insurance for out of USA travel. We thought that was enough. We have to rethink this for future travels. Lastly, the manager at the Avenida Hotel in Pontevedra suggested a public hospital over a closer private clinic. It was huge and it seemed that most of it was unused. We had a long wait, about 4 hours in their emergency, the care was excellent, focused and provided by a skilled orthopedic surgeon who looked like he was a few years out of high school (sorry, my observation is more a reflection on my age, not his). The part of the hospital we went through to get to the empty part was packed with patients; in the corridor, in beds, wheel chairs; staff overwhelmed with questions, demands. If anyone had an interest in volunteer work in Spain and possessed competent language skills, volunteering in a public hospital would fill a big need. Anyhow. That's all i have to say about this and i hope it is useful to you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Charles.
I’m 60, not particularly fit at present, but not a couch potato either. Just average.
I’ve done a moderate amount of (backwoods) hiking, mainly in NZ, a little in Oz, and a few weeks in Canada. Mainly in my 20s - 30s. Predominantly alone.

Plus the Ingles and Primitivo last year. And over 350km of the Jakobsweg here in Germany so far (late last year, and over the past week).

I was far from remote, the Jakobsweg basically meanders between various towns and villages, much like the Camino. Just with fewer services (or fellow pilgrims!).
At the time of my accident I was only 100m or so from the road, not optimal but worse case I could have dragged myself to the road. I’ve been in far more dangerous situations in Canada (although I was younger then too!). I’m no expert, but I’ve got moderate survival skills. Had food, water, emergency blanket, lighter, poncho etc.. the only way I’d have been in any real danger would be if I got knocked out for an extended period, and somehow destroyed/ lost my phone.

When I fell I knew straight away it wasn’t good, so got my backpack off, dragged myself to the base of a tree, got my (bubblewrap) sitting pad under me and assessed the situation. VERY quickly realised it was more than a sprain, so covered up ( to keep warm) ate something sweet ( helps with shock), got myself as comfortable as possible and called the emergency service’s. Everything went pretty well after that.

Now I’m just seriously bored!

I’ll be walking again once I’m able. Hopefully a little more on this trail later this year, then the rest (to Santiago, around 2,800km) next year all going well.

This is the first ( and hopefully last) time I’ve ever broken anything!

Last edited:

So sorry this happened. I hope you both have more enjoyable days ahead!
That's the type of accident that could happen to anyone, anywhere.
On our first Camino in 2010 herself fell off the top bunk in Roncesvalles and broke her heel. Ended our first attempt on the France.
She's a tough Marine though, was back the following May.

Last edited:
On our first Camino in 2011, herself fell off the top bunk in

On our first Camino in 2010 herself fell off the to bunk in Roncesvalles and broke her heel. Ended our first attempt on the France.
We both were very sick when we got to Pamplona, April '22. I became sick first. I was in a top bunk in Roncesvalles monastery and the person just over the divider was coughing all night. I think that's where the crime occurred. We were laid up in Pamplona for 5 days, thought we had Covid. We hope, Scott, that the two of you had a 2nd Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So sorry to hear of both accidents and here’s to speedy recoveries. However, Charles, you say
I think we were pushing it all, injury or not. I'm 73 and Karen, my partner is 77. Maybe it's our last full Camino
and I would like to tell you about my Camino friend Christopher Bray from England whom we met at the lovely albergue at Pieros in late October 2023. He was 85 at the time walking from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port and plans to walk his fifth Camino in 5 years from now. So I really hope you and your partner (and you Peter) are able to walk all the Caminos that you want going forward. Wonderful to hear about the care that was provided.
N.B. Chris is writing a book about his Camino experiences so look for it in the future-I have had the pleasure of reading his drafts so far and it is excellent.

All great stories and examples of great healthcare resources. I was in the waiting room of an orthopedic clinic in Colorado a month or so ago. My wife was seeing a specialist about some skiing related knee discomfort. I listened to an extended conversation at checkin between staff and two young Latin American visitors….it also seemed to be some sort of skiing related discomfort. These guys could not get past the front desk….multiple phone calls to their national healthcare staff or insurers or whatever but at least while I was there they never made it past the check in counter. Great healthcare….right??

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We both were very sick when we got to Pamplona, April '22. I became sick first. I was in a top bunk in Roncesvalles monastery and the person just over the divider was coughing all night. I think that's where the crime occurred. We were laid up in Pamplona for 5 days, thought we had Covid. We hope, Scott, that the two of you had a 2nd Camino!
Oh yeah, she faithfully wore "the boot" for the next six months and we were back in May. We started in Saint Jean Peid de Port and walked all the way to Muxia. (Hint, she is a Marine and that fall wasn't going to stop her).

I also have a couple of Camino related stories to share, having made eight trips to Europe (of many) for the sole purpose of walking various Caminos.
In 2019 on the Fisherman's Trail in Portugal, I tripped over a mostly embedded rock and was thrust forward to the ground. I knew I injured "something", thinking it was a pulled muscle in my upper chest as I mostly had pain if I twisted my body at the waist. I continued walking with my backpack, aware of the pain, but was able to continue for the next few weeks to Santiago as it wasn't unbearable. A concerned friend encouraged me to get an X-ray, so as soon as I returned home I did and had totally fractured two ribs! 🙄

In spring of 2023 I was running at the Chamartin train station to catch the train to the airport going home. We were on the lower platform waiting when it was changed as they were renovating the area. Anyway, we began running to catch the train when I eventually slipped on slick granite flooring and fell, slamming directly on my left arm wearing my backpack. I knew then and there something was drastically wrong with my arm and couldn't move it. My son wanted us to take a taxi to a hospital, but all I could think of was being so close to flying home, I did not want any interruptions. Having heard @trecile's story before, I did not want to miss my flight and stay in Spain longer. I just wanted to get home! My son made a makeshift sling out of a bandana and a kind airport worker took us to the proper platform. I was relieved to finally sit at the airport gate. The flight attendants were wonderful and upgraded our seats and even moved our backpacks from farther back to our new seats and they checked up on me from time to time. Hubby picked us up in Chicago and my X-ray the following morning showed two fractures in my upper proximal humerus bone in the shoulder. My immobilized arm was in a sling for two months, followed by three months of physical therapy. Now, a year later, my arm is somewhat compromised, but I can do most things; walking Caminos and still able to carry my pack is one of them. I leave for Spain in 12 days!🙂
BTW, I always have purchased adequate travel insurance, and will continue to do it, although I have never used it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So sorry this happened. I hope you both have more enjoyable days ahead!
That's the type of accident that could happen to anyone, anywhere.
It definitely can happen to anyone, and does more often than we realize on the Camino. This thread with 20 posts shows many stories of aborted Caminos. I have often read threads of ankle, foot, knee and hip injuries sending people home early; sometimes very bad blisters can do it. I have learned a lesson and may decide to finally use two hiking poles instead of my preference of only one.
EDITED to add...
Screenshot_20240407-102553~2.png

Last edited:
I and my Partner set out from Porto March 16th with the intention of reaching Santiago on or about April 1st. We reached Tui, checked into a hotel and went out to dinner. On the way back to the hotel, my partner slipped on the sidewalk and twisted her ankle. We limped back to the hotel and, next day, taxied to the train to get us into Pontevedra, a comparatively major city on the Camino.

We checked into the Hotel Avenida de Pontevedra. The manager urged us to get it looked at and made a few recommendations. We went to the public hospital near the hotel, had an examination and X-rays. It was determined that the ankle was fractured in two places and she could simply not walk on it. It was so serious that the surgeon suggested we return to our home city, Portland, Oregon, and go immediately to the hospital emergency. Once again, employees and management at this hotel were just outstanding in the help and advice offered. I can't say enough about these people.

When we got back to the hotel they brought a chair out to the taxi and carried her up to our room on the 3rd floor! Think about this: we were halfway around the world from our home, immobilized, and having to go home NOW!

I spent a couple of hours searching for connections that would work and eventually settled on Vigo-Madrid-JFK-Portland; total one way price for two was about $2,800. (Keep in mind that the initial cost, round trip, Portland-Lisbon-Portland was $980 for two people). We had two connections to make, one was a 3 hour layover at JFK. We barely made them. when you are disabled, you get off the plane last. You have to wait for an aisle chair and then be transferred to a regular wheel chair.

At JFK we nominally had plenty of time but had to wait for the aisle chair. Then customs, then getting our bags, rechecking them, then transfer to new people at Delta who would get us to our next flight, go through security again and then run about a quarter mile to gate 53, terminal 4 to catch a flight that was finished loading and waiting for us!!

We are not newbies. This was our 3rd Camino and, nominally, the shortest one. I've long thought of travel in Europe as enjoyment, good experiences and fulfillment, never seriously considering what a position we'd be in with a serious illness or injury.

What we learned from this. People in Spain were incredibly helpful. When my friend fell down we were quickly surrounded by a dozen people, individuals, families, all very sympathetic and concerned. They called the police, transportation was called. Taxi drivers, the people at the hospital, the Avenida Hotel. We are really shocked at how helpful people were.

Here in Portland, if you are on the ground you might have a few people step over you before some asks how you are. (and that's no exaggeration!). Occasionally life presents situations where you quickly realize that you are totally screwed with no immediate, workable options in front of you and it all becomes a triage, solve this problem, make this connection, pay this money and move on to the next. Also, we learned that there is very little that is not solvable if you are willing to throw a lot of money at it!! That's it.

View attachment 167410

View attachment 167411
So sorry about your friends accident. However, it was so wonderful to hear of how the Spanish people rallied around and helped your friend. It unfortunately doesn't surprise me the treatment you received back home. Sad to say. I've walked 5 caminos and each time I receive the kindest and most warm hearted thoughtfulness of the Spanish and Portugese people. I hope your friend heals quickly and you can return to complete your camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm so sorry this has happened to you. It must be very disappointing and frustrating, no matter how supportive people were in your time of need. One nice thing about the Camino is that it has been around for over a thousand years, through wars, invasions, plagues, and pretty much anything the world can throw at it. It is still there, stronger than ever. It will still be there and waiting for you.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.