• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unprepared for the path ahead

Balmain

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2015
Starting from SJPdP in about 2 weeks. Intended to train but work in a high stress environment with very long hours and time has caught up with me. This is the only bracket of time off I could take so putting it off is not an option. In my 50s so am no spring chicken and slightly overweight. I understand the "fail to prepare, prepare to fail" philosophy however 'something' keeps telling me this is something I should do......and do it I shall.

Would be interested to know how others have fared when faced with similar challenges and their tips for 'surviving and thriving'.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was a somewhat similiar situation a couple of years ago. A few years younger and I was used to walking, however I had done very little training with a backpack and I was probably 65kg overweight.

I had some challenges early on (the first day was a disaster), but I got there in the end.

In terms of advice, I would merely reinforce the same comments you will undoubtedly hear from others:

1. Start slowly, you body will adjust to walking faster than you would think and you should be able to make up time on the meseta.
2. Keep an eye on your feet. The lack of walking beforehand may cause your feet some problems with blisters. Take care of them and don't forget point one. (Blisters were the most common cause of people having to take extra rest days or having to stop entirely when I walked a couple of years ago.)
3. Listen to your body. Yes, you may need to push your limits a little, but don't overdo it.

and finally...

4. Don't give up. You can do this. It's walking, something humans were born to do. Ok, it's rather a lot of walking, but nothing that can't be managed.

Buen Camino!

Start slow, be willing to accept several short days up front with longer days down the road. Best way to injure yourself is to push too hard at the start. You'll be amazed how quickly your endurance builds after the first week.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Just go slow at first and "train" while walking. You will be fine if you do not push yourself too hard. Don't take more "stuff" than you need and listen to your body. The difficulty isn't in knowing what is right for you to do; it is in forcing yourself to do what you know is right for you.

Walk at your own cadence, start slowly, carry only what you need (forget the what if's), walk shorter or longer stages as your body tells you, listen to your body, don't try to match the performance of others. Push away your anxieties and make room for the joy of the journey. You have made a significant commitment to get this far enjoy your time on the camino. Don't forget to share your joy with a smile or two and my guess is that you will be just fine.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Balmain, I'm 59 and not super-fit. Like you I couldn't train. But I'm also determined...and took the 1st week as training. So gave myself total permission to walk short distances if necessary. Walking into Valcarlos, I really assessed...should I continue to Roncevalles? I did and all was well. But only walked to Zubiri the next day and would have stopped in Zabaldika the next had the albergue been open. The no - pressure approach paid off and I made it to Santiago in 34 days: 33 days walking and 1 rest day in Burgos. Take it easy, really listen to your body, take care of your feet and you'll likely be just fine. One thing to really watch is getting pulled into the pace of others, especially if you really 'click' with people. Mostly I walk alone but enjoy the camaraderie in the evenings so have to really beware of the tendency to push myself in order not to be 'left behind' by my Camino family.

Starting from SJPdP in about 2 weeks. Intended to train but work in a high stress environment with very long hours and time has caught up with me. This is the only bracket of time off I could take so putting it off is not an option. In my 50s so am no spring chicken and slightly overweight. I understand the "fail to prepare, prepare to fail" philosophy however 'something' keeps telling me this is something I should do......and do it I shall.

Would be interested to know how others have fared when faced with similar challenges and their tips for 'surviving and thriving'.
Sounds like you could really use a break from your high stress work environment. Strangely, I am more concerned that you hang in there and keep it all together during the next two weeks until you can get yourself to SJPP. Take one day at a time and when you get to SJPP, follow the advice others have given you, go slowly, listen to your body and trust that all will be well. You deserve this break and the Camino is waiting for you. I wish you well and am sending positive thoughts your way. :):)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You might consider staying overnight in SJPP and then taking a taxi to Roncesvalles. There is nothing that says you MUST start in SJPP. That first day is a killer, and gets a little easier. If you are truly out of shape, consider starting 1 day closer. Jet-lag and dehydration are also big contributors towards a bad experience.

Whatever you decide, buen camino.

From my personal experience
Lactic acid builds quickly
I buffer the soreness induceing catabolism with a protein shake
It may help on the first days
Hydrate stay hydrated and hydrate b4 bedtime
Be kind to yourself,leave work at the door..outside the camino.this is your time,be selfish and indulge
Best of pilgrimages to you!

Hi, I'm 40+ ! and also didn't have much time to train before hand. It took me a couple of days getting used to walking in the heat, with a rucksack on. After then it got easier.
Am glad I took painkillers and deepheat, these did help when we had to merge walking days. I had a fantastic adventure, even when sometimes it was hard going, not once did I think, what am I doing. Enjoy your Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I understand your concerns about a lack of training but I think the aim is to get there safely not speedily! I'll be entering my 50th year during my walk, haven't managed to get any "training" in myself and my knee has just started to play up a bit again which, when added to a tendency to get lost in my own thoughts and walk further than planned, might seem to some to be less than ideal starting terms..o_O.

Of course my goal is to reach Santiago in fine fettle at some point within the 8 weeks I have off work and I have no doubt that I could cover the distance in good time but I want to be able to do it with as few mishaps, blisters or diversions as I can manage - this bird ain't in a hurry to get blisters! So, if I don't get there for whatever reason then so be it - I'll certainly not be beating myself up about and will just have to return at a later date to pick it up the trail from where I left off.

I'm sure that you'll have a fabulous time if you pace yourself and, after all, it's not a race is it?

Enjoy yourself

I've walked the entire Camino Frances (SJPdP to SDC) twice, in my 50's with no prior training or preparation for either one. Honestly, it's not that difficult. As I've said before, it's difficulty tends to get exaggerated on here (to say the least :D). I'd feel comfortable starting in SJPdP tomorrow with no prep.
Carry a light pack. Take your time. Drink lot's of water. Wear loose shoes and thin socks.
Not at all a survival challenge. It's just a walk.
No worries. Go have a good time on your journey.

In reality none of us were prepared, there is no one who can claim that unless they are born and bred in Pays Basque and started traveling every year to Fisterra soon after learning how to walk;).
My first bite at the Camino was to see "what it was all about" and I quickly fell in love with every single aspect of walking through Spain and Portugal.
I've done it several times with many new friends every year and tried to explore as many places along the Camino as I had time for.
I will be taking 3 more bites at the Camino apple this summer at the age of 69. Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You will see all sort of people on the Camino, the average age being around 45 and most of us being "slightly" overweight. The majority of us is also most of the time unprepared (or under-prepared) for almost every major event in our life: marriage, the birth of our children, the retirement, the losses we face ... Your journey is going to be a major life experience. Don't expect to be fully prepared. In fact, you don't even need to be.
More important than your age and weight are your determination and self-confidence. If you want to do it, you will do it. Listen to you, listen to your body and soul. Emotional signs are as important as physical ones. If you feel like making frequent stops, do it. If you don't like someone's pace, don't walk with them. You will meet them later and spend wonderful time together. If you feel like staying one more day somewhere, stay.
Consider all the above advice. Start slow. Don't carry too much stuff (I had a ~10 kilos backpack and now I know for sure that it could have been 2 kilos lighter). You will get help if you need it, I can assure you of that (and anyone here can say the same). Use something for hydrating your feet on a daily basis.
Enjoy being you, enjoy the time with you.
You need your soul to catch up with you.
Buen Camino!

Just take it as it comes. You will be fine. Enjoy.

In reality none of us were prepared, there is no one who can claim that unless they are born and bred in Pays Basque and started traveling every year to Fisterra soon after learning how to walk;).

Great encouragement!
We're in the same place -- lots of good intentions to walk a lot, learn Spanish, pack carefully, etc -- and we start next week with much less prep than we hoped. We're planning about half of Brierly's stages for the first week or so and trusting that the Camino will provide.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just go slow at first and "train" while walking. You will be fine if you do not push yourself too hard. Don't take more "stuff" than you need and listen to your body. The difficulty isn't in knowing what is right for you to do; it is in forcing yourself to do what you know is right for you.

This is the best advice - spot on!

Dear Balmain, Congratulations on making a great decision! Few people are ever really prepared for the Camino, so you will fit right in. Advice others have given -- to take it slow --is perfect. I would also recommend not walking in waterproof shoes (they promote blisters), get your pack weight down to bare minimum and consider starting from Pamplona not SJPP. Remember, you're there to rack up memories not miles!

Above all... Take care of your feet.

Get your pack as light as possible. My two blisters came when I had to carry another pilgrims pack. I could barely lift it. ( this isn't a complaint, just an observation. )

I attribute my foot success to a lovely group of ladies in a pharmacists in Burgos who sent me on my way with a product called Pedi Relax, aux huiles essentielles de melaleuca.

Liberally applied to my feet each morning before putting on the socks, along with another application each evening after showering kept me blister free. It comes in small 50 ml toothpaste like tubes. However, since it's available widely in Spain you can easily replenish as you go along. Far better than running out of an unobtainable product brought from home.

Pre match nerves are to be expected, but in no way reflect how you will feel once you're on your way.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Great encouragement!
We're in the same place -- lots of good intentions to walk a lot, learn Spanish, pack carefully, etc -- and we start next week with much less prep than we hoped. We're planning about half of Brierly's stages for the first week or so and trusting that the Camino will provide.
You will do fine, go with the flow and enjoy. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Get your pack as light as possible. My two blisters came when I had to carry another pilgrims pack. I could barely lift it. ( this isn't a complaint, just an observation. )

This advice keeps coming and weight is tough. We're down to 20 pounds on one pack and 26 pounds on the other. -- Tomorrow we'll another lap of looking at everything and taking something out,

You will do fine, go with the flow and enjoy. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Thanks for the encouragement!

We're excited, too busy, and not quite ready to go, but we're leaving on Sunday morning. So we'll be ready then. But going with the flow will take a moment for us to slow down.

Hopefully we'll have slowed down by Wednesday morning when we start walking.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Really appreciate the responses and the sage advice.

On review I think the greatest issues will be leaving the competitive thoughts behind, and stopping the urge to push the boundaries. As the departure time grows closer I must admit I am looking forward to the simplicity of it all. The 'one foot after the other', the 'wonder where today will end', and all the sights and sounds in between.

One piece of advice I would give you is don't decide where to end before you start your day. It adds to the adventure. Let your feet do the thinking, if that makes sense (?) They will be your best friends while on the Camino.

Really appreciate the responses and the sage advice.

On review I think the greatest issues will be leaving the competitive thoughts behind, and stopping the urge to push the boundaries. As the departure time grows closer I must admit I am looking forward to the simplicity of it all. The 'one foot after the other', the 'wonder where today will end', and all the sights and sounds in between.

Push the boundaries mate and you will be going home after you reach Burgos, 1/3 of the way.
This is no competition just a reflection on your life style.
When having a coffee look around at the ages and nationalities of the fellow pilgrims.
You will soon discover who has not left work / who has departed on a holiday and has left and who is living the day.
You will be walking with merchant bankers and all the other rogues ...lol .. beside them uni graduates, housewives , grandmothers and retirees.
You will never know who is who until they tell.
Start slowly and i mean it Balmain.
Too many horses rush from the stalls and at the top of the straight they are nackered.
We are no different .
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back