• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Perfect Timing or Foolhardy?

Sarah80

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk july 15
hello all

Ive been stalking these forums for two years since a friend of mine did the Camino in 2013. Ive always wished to do the camino but what with starting new jobs, a marriage breakdown and lack of circumstances Ive never had the timing come together.

This week I was made redundant from my job, I live and work in Barcelona (UK born), and have enough saved and the free time available to be able to do the camino, two weeks ago I spent the weekend at Vall de Nuria and did a 30k hike (which hurt my feet but that was poor sock choice - but didn't exhaust me).

However, I do not consider myself fit, I am BMI overweight, 35 years old and am in the middle of developing a new business, however there is also a pause of 6 weeks for this startup while the developers take on the app.

My biggest worry: It's July and the camino will be crowded and the weather is hot.

Im torn between thinking my circumstances will likely never be better but the fact that we are in July, I could go tomorrow if I so wanted, and I have done no training - should i pay attention to the great timing of my personal circumstances or is it more important to train?

Any advise?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Go. Now. When else will you have the time off? You have been thinking about this for TWO years. The training is not a problem. Many people much older, over weight and in poorer health have made it without training. Just make sure you start slow to get to know your limits, sort out your shoes/socks (most important), and stay hydrated. I think you will overcome any concerns about crowds and weather once you are walking...if not you can just stop. I think life transition times are the best time to walk the camino. No matter what time of year. I did it in the dead of winter in the snow due to similar circumstances without any training and it was just what I needed. Buen Camino!

I have no Camino experience, yet reading your post it seems to me you have been given an opportunity, a gift. You want to walk the Camino? Grasp this opportunity and go!
Yes, it will undoubtedly be hot, but you live in Barcelona so you have some experience of heat. You already know you can walk a reasonable distance (with the right socks of course!) so go! You have the luxury of 6 weeks so you can do shorter distances each day.
Go!
And I'm envious - I have to wait until next year and even then will only have 5 days to start my Camino; I reckon it will take me 7 or 8 years to get to Santiago de Compostela! You will be there in 5-6 weeks! If you go...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Go and walk your Camino just avoid 30 kilometer days at the beginning if you can. I recommend that one walks into their Camino. By that I mean take it easy, walk no more than 15 to 20 kilometers a day for the first 7 days then picking up the pace. Let your body ease into the Camino.

Socks, everyone has a opinion about socks. I wear a good medium weight wool sock without liners. Wigwam and Woolrich are good ones.

Heat = water, water, water. Drink lots of water before during, and after walking. Every time you stop for any reason, to take a picture, a leak, catch your breath, stretch, whatever, drink water. Drink water even when your not thirsty. Thirst is a bad sign it means you are behind on water intake. If you have to get up at night to pee GOOD it means you are hydrating well. Avoid alcohol and caffeine. These are astringents and pull fluids from the tissue and can hinder proper hydration. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

When will your chances be better? I think go now. And you sound plenty fit (so long as you go at your own pace). Go. Don't wait.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
hello all

Ive been stalking these forums for two years since a friend of mine did the Camino in 2013. Ive always wished to do the camino but what with starting new jobs, a marriage breakdown and lack of circumstances Ive never had the timing come together.

This week I was made redundant from my job, I live and work in Barcelona (UK born), and have enough saved and the free time available to be able to do the camino, two weeks ago I spent the weekend at Vall de Nuria and did a 30k hike (which hurt my feet but that was poor sock choice - but didn't exhaust me).

However, I do not consider myself fit, I am BMI overweight, 35 years old and am in the middle of developing a new business, however there is also a pause of 6 weeks for this startup while the developers take on the app.

My biggest worry: It's July and the camino will be crowded and the weather is hot.

Im torn between thinking my circumstances will likely never be better but the fact that we are in July, I could go tomorrow if I so wanted, and I have done no training - should i pay attention to the great timing of my personal circumstances or is it more important to train?

Any advise?
Hi Sarah, you have to go . You will have time enough to walk the Camino Frances. Nice and slow, meeting lots off people along the way and that alone is so great. When it so hot you will have to drink enough, that's so important. I also walked nice and slow. I walked for 37 day's and I had a great time, meeting lots off people and making new friendships. It is a journey you will never forget. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

I have no Camino experience, yet reading your post it seems to me you have been given an opportunity, a gift. You want to walk the Camino? Grasp this opportunity and go!
Yes, it will undoubtedly be hot, but you live in Barcelona so you have some experience of heat. You already know you can walk a reasonable distance (with the right socks of course!) so go! You have the luxury of 6 weeks so you can do shorter distances each day.
Go!
And I'm envious - I have to wait until next year and even then will only have 5 days to start my Camino; I reckon it will take me 7 or 8 years to get to Santiago de Compostela! You will be there in 5-6 weeks! If you go...
Hi Julia, where will you begin your journey. ? You will get hooked and that's is why you will return each year to get closer to Santiago. And you will walk on the square before the cathedral. I wish you a great journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Sarah, I agree with everyone above. Just go. I remember when I did my first camino in 2003 there was a German man we nick-named ‘the jeans guy’. He had literally walked out of his house on a whim wearing a business shirt, brown leather work shoes and a pair of jeans. Along the way he picked up a little day pack and purchased all he needed. He made it fine and had a ball. I’m sure you will also have your own adventure. The only fear you have to deal with is that which exists in the present moment. On the camino it’s as simple as taking the next step. Easy peasy. Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Go now, start slow, walk in the coolest part of the day possible; have the time of your life!

Go now, start slow, walk in the coolest part of the day possible; have the time of your life!

What Mike said! Especially the time of your life bit! You may always regret if you don't! Carpe dieum!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Go!

Hi Julia, good advice! I am planning to start in SJPP in April 2016. I don't have a set date yet and would like to find someone else starting at the same time as I will be travelling alone. It would be peace of mind to know someone when I start out. Do you know what date you will start and would you be happy to meet in St Jean and start the first day together?

Fantastic! Just take it slowly.
My husband and I just spent three weeks on the Portuguese route - one week after he had started a new job! Sometimes the timing is not everything.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Guess I'm going to Santiago. I begin next week at SJPD. Thanks to everyone for the inspiration and great advice.
Great news, @Sarah80, follow the advice of others who have already posted (& I'm sure more will follow); remember to walk YOUR Camino (by that I mean go at YOUR pace and listen to YOUR body) and be open to whatever comes your way. I'm sure that it'll change your outlook on life.
Have a wonderful Camino.
Suzanne :)

Guess I'm going to Santiago. I begin next week at SJPD.

Thanks to everyone for the inspiration and great advice.
Hi Sarah, just go and enjoy. Seize the day, none of us knows what's around the corner. I'm sure you will have a wonderful experience

Hi Sarah! SO it looks like you are going to go for it! GREAT! I am long distance hiker and have done the Camino Frances in July as well..I gave some advice to friend who hiked it last year...I'll give you the same..LIGHT vented hiking shoes, not boots, not leather, some folk do it in trainers! There is a old hiking saying, a pound on the feet is two on the back! Your feet will breath better and feel better. Careful about blisters...good wicking hicking socks, smartwool are great, and maybe sock liners if not bring "bodyglide" to put on your feet to reduce blisters and bring compeed pads..do not let them get bad or infected...treat them early and treat yourself right...if tired or in pain, take a rest day or two..everywhere you go is beautiful and full of wonderful helpful people!! Keep your pack weight to about 12-15 kg or less without food or water..you do not need tents or cooking gear, recommend 3-4 pairs socks and liners, two hiking trousers with zip off legs or two shorts and one long, all ultra light material like ExOfficio or similar, light to carry, dry quickly. (do your washing at the albergues), two or 3 tops /shirts light wicking material, (again ExOfficio is great) a vented sun hat, sun screen, water bottle, don't worry about BIG bottles..yes you need to drink lots of water, but a smaller bottle, 2/3 to 1 litre can be carried and filled all along the way at fountains set up just for this purpose (I wound up carrying my in my hand as I walked!) a very light water proof jacket, a micro fleece 2nd layer (maybe another poly base layer just in case) for evenings and in Galacia where the mountains can be chilly. a light compactable 3 season sleeping bag. A camp town (again they make light compact towels for hiking) a personal kit with soap, etc, Always hike with a wad of toilet paper in a ziplock bag...(you never know!) Bug repellent small bottle, medic kit:bandages, blister kit, painkiller, ect, (small and light). Remember,,,you can always but stuff in some of the larger towns so don't worry too much...If you feel the need for stabilty, some people like walking poles, again..if so, get ultra light titanium or carbon fiber..I brought mine but wound up carrying them in my pack the whole way as they were too expensive to throw away ..I am sure I have forgot some things you might bring...so have a look at other packing lists on the websites below.

All in all it's all about the WEIGHT..the less you carry the longer you can go, the better you will feel and easier on your feet....(you will figure out what you need or not along the trail...you can always mail things home if too much, or buy what need if not enough) if you take your time early on, rest when needed, take care of yourself, as the trail goes on you will feel better, go further, and wonder how you ever worried about the hike in the first place!

Of course go to http://www.santiago-compostela.net/ for more example of packing lists and routes and lots of great information and expecially http://www.csj.org.uk/ so you can get your pilgrim passport (credencial) you need this for the alberges and it needs to be stamped along the way (at least 2 times a day) to prove you are a pilgrim ...(I believe you can also get the credential at SJPP at the Confraternity office there)

I agree with most everything everyone else has said in this post...you will find we hiking by 0600 and stopping by about 1400 everyday due to the heat...also..everyone starts rushing to get to the best albergues..(do check in to an Albergue when you get to your destination as queues do form to get in to the good ones, then get that cold cerveza!) I can't tell you to run to them..there are lots...some better than others, but if worst comes to worst, a lot of places have B&B and hotels (at more cost) When you are hiking...if you find a place you like..stop and enjoy...it's not a race...

A good book is the A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago: St. Jean - Roncesvalles - Santiago

but it adds weight..I liked reading about places to go to and it gives some information on albergues

Mostly...HAVE AN Amazing time...trust your body to tell you when you need a rest...make amazing friends...Don't give up...you will have an experience of a lifetime...please feel free to contact me if you have questions! (PS...a friend from my 2012 Camino and I will be hiking the Camino Portugal in August! )

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,
Just get a small bag, put a change of clothes in it and catch the train. No preparation is required as you just walk less if you aren't that fit. I did it in July, it was glorious weather and I didn't even carry any water - just popped into cafes and made use of the numerous fountains. I am in my 60's and overweight with serious medical problems and I found it perfectly ok. Its a good experience and it does the soul a power of good (and I am not in the slightest bit religious). Enjoy.

Don't hesitate, just go... NOW
You'll regret everyday that you could have had extra on the camino but didn't take.

Last edited:
Sarah - so glad you are going! Buen Camino - and please post back to let us know how you get on.

Peter Franciscus - thank you for your kind wishes. At the moment I am undecided whether to start from StJPdP or Roncesvalles. I really want to get to Alto del Perdon before I head home, at at my rate of walking I don't think I would manage it if I spent 2 days walking over the Pyrenees!

CathyJ - I'd love to meet you and start together, but I will probably be way to slow for you! I only plan to walk 10-15k a day, I have problems with my back, hips, knees, ankles and feet so am not going to push too hard!
I fly into Bilbao on 27th April mid morning, so will have time to get to Roncesvalles on the bus from Pamplona, or more likely book at Corazon Puro overnight so they will drive me the next morning to Roncesvalles, or perhaps StJPdP if I think I can manage it by then. I'd definitely stay overnight at Orisson if I start at StJPdeP.
Anyway, I don't want to hijack Sarah's thread any more and am not sure how to contact you via this website, so if you want to contact me further email me jdwvt@gmx.co.uk

A selection of Camino Jewellery
hello all

Any advise?
There is a saying that if we wait for the perfect time nothing would happen.
Go, go slowly, listen to your body and enjoy. If your schedule permits rest days, take them. If not, there is no "law" against taking a bus/taxi between points to allow some rest. It is your Camino and you have nothing to prove to anyone.
Making the decision is the hard part. Walking is just putting one step in front of another. And I am doing my second leg this year and am 61 and my BMI puts me in the overweight category.
Buen Camino

Wow everybody,

Thank you so much for all this kind support and all the great and extensive tips!

Yesterday I went into decathalon in Barcelona and am kitted up. A question on socks as this was what caught me out on my trek before. I have bought two pairs of Falke trekking tk2 cool socks. Is this suitable? From my hike quickly learnt to get the socks and shoes off instead of doing 30k without an airing.

I had no idea you had to get your passport stamped along the way too, I thought it was just between alberges!

I intend to take it slowly as you all rightly point out. I guess that means Valcaros>Roncevalles as the straight hike out of St Jean to Roncevalles looks tough for day 1!

Thanks once again for all these great tips and encouragements

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can't help you with socks but your passport can be stamped at any allergies, many/most cafes along the route (often on the bar counter for self serve) churches, cathedrals and monestaries.
Buen Camino

Those will do if you find any smart wool socks or lightweight 150 shirt grab them as they are the ticket. Have a great time!
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back