• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Perfect Souvenir

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
A peek into my garden. The green leaves among the flowers are an absolutely necessary ingredient for caldo português or caldo gallego - verza in Spanish not cabbage not turnip greens rather a European form of collard greens. Look up from your Camino app and you will see it growing in any rural area. The seeds are easy to sprout the plant easy to grow, pick up the seeds along the way and are several ferretería/hardware stores in SdC which sell the seeds aa well.Verça (1).JPG4057f41b-f7e2-482a-badc-338f44d58859.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just be careful in importing seeds, especially those picked up from the side of the path as you may be importing a disease and/or it may be illegal. My souvenirs are in my head and in my journal which I occasionally read during the cold winter months.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You'll be stung with a hefty fine if you get caught bringing seeds into New Zealand! I even had to remove flowers I had dried in my journal (but was spared the fine)
True - I think prison is also on the cards for more serious biosecurity breaches.

Whilst on one hand I love the idea, who knows what the potential consequences are? In NZ we suffer a lot from our ancestors decisions on imports, well intentioned as they were at the time.

Here in Germany, the local grass verges are rapidly becoming Rocket (peppery flavoured salad plant) in the summer. (And yet you can still buy the seed/ plants readily).

Of course, people still buy it in the supermarket, either a/ from ignorance; b/ laziness or c/ because the grass verge’s are also the local dog toilet’s!!

Either way, I’m pretty sure that’s a classic example of an unintended consequence. Not knocking you, appreciate why you would want to do it, just suggesting you make sure it doesn’t spread.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I’m going to grow Padron peppers!
Good luck with that. I love Padron peppers, but some people have found their garden soil outside the Padron area makes the peppers much spicier than the ones from that region...

It sounds like if you want to attempt this yourself, it is probably best to acquire them in a sealed packet in a ferreteria/hardware store. If the customs and immigration folks don't want them in your country, it is easy for them to confiscate and if they are declared and sealed, I suspect it is unlikely you will get in serious trouble. If they are confiscated, I suspect the financial loss will be pretty small.

I’m going to grow Padron peppers!
I looked for Padron seeds when I was in Padron. Was told they are sold there on market day on Sunday. The Franciscans brought peppers back to Spain from around where I live in New Mexico, which was then New Spain. We have lots of peppers here but not those!
(video of Market Day in Padron.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The key is when you harvest them. If they get more than 2" (5 cm), they are all hot. Pick them when they are small and one in ten is hot.
Good luck with that. I love Padron peppers, but some people have found their garden soil outside the Padron area makes the peppers much spicier than the ones from that region...

I’ve
I looked for Padron seeds when I was in Padron. Was told they are sold there on market day on Sunday. The Franciscans brought peppers back to Spain from around where I live in New Mexico, which was then New Spain. We have lots of peppers here but not those!
(video of Market Day in Padron.
I have grown Shishito peppers with great success. They are prepared the same way as Padron peppers and even make the same 1 in 10 spicy claim. It will be interesting to see how the Padrons grow in comparison.

It sounds like if you want to attempt this yourself, it is probably best to acquire them in a sealed packet in a ferreteria/hardware store. If the customs and immigration folks don't want them in your country, it is easy for them to confiscate and if they are declared and sealed, I suspect it is unlikely you will get in serious trouble. If they are confiscated, I suspect the financial loss will be pretty small.
Bringing ANY plant material or its by-products (fruit, seeds, etc) into New Zealand or Australia will result in a hefty fine. Our cousin recently received a NZ$400 fine for forgetting she had an apple in her carry-on bag when going through Customs at Auckland airport.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Bringing ANY plant material or its by-products (fruit, seeds, etc) into New Zealand or Australia will result in a hefty fine. Our cousin recently received a NZ$400 fine for forgetting she had an apple in her carry-on bag when going through Customs at Auckland airport.
Those Aussies and Kiwis have no sense of humor whatsoever.

A peek into my garden. The green leaves among the flowers are an absolutely necessary ingredient for caldo português or caldo gallego - verza in Spanish not cabbage not turnip greens rather a European form of collard greens. Look up from your Camino app and you will see it growing in any rural area. The seeds are easy to sprout the plant easy to grow, pick up the seeds along the way and are several ferretería/hardware stores in SdC which sell the seeds aa well.View attachment 159120View attachment 159121
Hi
Cool that I am not the only one with this kind of dedication. Coming back from Camino Frances I ordered Cove Galega seeds from Amazon and now I have enormous plants in my garden. From time to time Caldo Verde and emotional feelings on the Camino

Attachments

• Cove Galega.jpg
    Cove Galega.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
The key is when you harvest them. If they get more than 2" (5 cm), they are all hot. Pick them when they are small and one in ten is hot.
We just finished the last of the padrons that I planted before leaving for the camino in May. Portland Nursery has started carrying padron starts and we had eight bushes. It is our summer ritual, starting around the middle of July, to have a glass of wine and a pile of peppers on our porch at the end of the day. This year's harvest was unrelenting and we gave many of the bigger (hotter) ones away.
As we moved into a warm autumn, we had a higher ratio of hot ones. Probably because they were on the vine so long.
An awesome souvenir of Spain. So is the Riojana!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
But an accidental apple? Give her a break
There are signs everywhere when you go into the area where things are inspected. The only thing missing are flashing lights and oompah bands to call attention to them.

NZ has apple crops it needs to protect, not to mention native flora and fauna. Livelihoods and lives are on the line, so no-one gets a pass, no matter how accidental their imports. And plenty aren't accidents.

There are signs everywhere when you go into the area where things are inspected.
On my one visit so far to Australia I had been well warned in advance about the rigorous biosecurity rules and precautions. So I was ready to declare virtually everything on me from the skin out. I was tempted to ask the officials in charge how people had managed to sneak the now-feral camels and water buffalo past their security checks in the past. But as others have posted it might not have been wise to test their sense of humour.... :cool:

Nope. Never.
😁
(Thank God. Who needs invasive anything?)
I agree. And that part of the world has more than its share of invasive species.

But I fail to see how an unopened packet of seeds, declared to and confiscated by Customs, could possibly lead to an invasion of anything and warrants such a fine.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's the declaration that's key. If you "forget" that they are in your bag you can be fined.
That's why I wrote that if they are declared and sealed they are unlikely to result in trouble. But Ian & Virginia replied to my post, quoting it, and saying:
Bringing ANY plant material or its by-products (fruit, seeds, etc) into New Zealand or Australia will result in a hefty fine.
Implying that sealing and declaring isn't enough, which I don't think is reasonable.

There are signs everywhere when you go into the area where things are inspected. The only thing missing are flashing lights and oompah bands to call attention to them.

NZ has apple crops it needs to protect, not to mention native flora and fauna. Livelihoods and lives are on the line, so no-one gets a pass, no matter how accidental their imports. And plenty aren't accidents.
Ah. Yeah it's a huge challenge, I can imagine. Not only importing crop pests and diseases but, as you said, protecting native species. All kinds of domino effects leading to extinctions all over the world.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's the declaration that's key. If you "forget" that they are in your bag you can be fined.
I sometimes watch the Australian and NZ border security TV programmes. You would be amazed at how many people 'forget' that they packed an entire suitcase (or 3) entirely with food.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back