• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

12 Days on the Camino del Norte

ANJoseph92

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (July 2016)
Hi All,

I'll be hiking the Camino del Norte for 12 days in July, starting in Gijón. Ideally I'd like to get to SDC in that time without taking any buses but most of the info I've seen suggests that won't quite be possible; are my suspicions correct? For reference, I'm fairly fit but not a massively experienced hiker and don't want to kill myself trying to get there in just 12 days! If you don't think this is possible which bits would you suggest I skip by getting the bus?

A few other questions I have:
1) Is a sleeping mat necessary?
2) I've read that this Camino is getting busier and busier and as a result albergues are filling up quickly. I'm planning to book for my first couple of nights just for peace of mind but would really rather not do this for the whole time, so are the albergues likely to be full, or is this just scaremongering?
3) I'm planning to pick up my peregrino credencial in Gijón, is this possible? Where can I get it from?
4) I'm planning to wear running shoes. I've worn them for day-hikes before and all sorts of sports and they're extremely comfortable, I've never had any problems with blisters and they have air-holes on the top. So I'm just looking for reassurance that these will be OK!

Any and all advice appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi ANJoseph92! Welcome to the forum!

With a little bit of planning, if you start in Avilés instead of in Gijón, you could make it in 12 days.

Castilian's suggestion makes sense-- in any case, Gijon to Avilés has got an awful lot of roadwalking through industrial suburbs, especially the 10km into Avilés, so unless your confessor has set this stretch as a penance, you won't lose much by starting out of Avilés.

In Avilés, credenciales are available at the Pedro Solis albergue on Gutiérrez Herrero, 1--- Gronze.com does not say if they can be had at either albergue in Gijon. In any case, they are usually available at the turismo (in Gijon the turismo is on the pier leading of Calle Rodriguez San Pedro and in Avilés at Calle de Ruiz Gómez, 21-- I dealt with the turismo staff in Avilés and they were very helpful, giving me a city map with the Camino out of town marked on it).

I can't answer your other questions as I did not stay in albergues along this route-- generally they have mattresses so you would not need a sleeping mat, but others might have better information. As far as footwear is concerned, I need boots--- you may not!-- but the trail was largely either on gravelled footpaths, or gravelled or paved country roads.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Many thanks to both of you for your advice. I will be in Gijón the night before I start which is why I wanted to start there but if it's not the nicest stretch to Avilés then I think I'll bus it there early the next morning and save myself a day!

Have done both Norte and Primitivo in running shoes with no problems. A hiking pole would be useful. You can find a stick along the way, though it might take a few days.

I can't answer your other questions as I did not stay in albergues along this route

I'm planning on doing the whole route during June and July and would like to sleep outside. Do you think I will need a tent? I've got a 0° sleeping bag.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Ohia,

Welcome to tne Forum.

Unfortunately camping is illegal in Spain. You might be able to sleep outdoors in a few albergues that have some grounds, but even then you would most likely be asked to pay for use of the shower, kitchen, etc.

I'm planning on doing the whole route during June and July and would like to sleep outside. Do you think I will need a tent? I've got a 0° sleeping bag.

The del Norte is very problematic for camping, although some have done it and a search through the forum will produce their experiences for you. Your best bet is to check to see which albergues have space outside for sleeping. The Camino del Norte passes through built-up and agricultural areas-- there is very little space for wild camping and it is illegal to camp within (IIRC) 3km of an established campsite (there are plenty of these, and provincial tourism sites will list them for you, as will eurocamping and other sites). As it is a seaside area, precipitation happens, and I suspect that a tent would be useful.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.