• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1st Camino - advice on day lengths please!

sophiehebrides

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles 2016
Hello

I've been avidly reading threads on this fantastic site and plan to walk the Camino Ingles next week...!

I have 5 days available, I arrive in SdC late on Weds night, will stay over then get the morning bus to Ferrol to begin my pilgrimage. I'm curious about the average distance per day I should aim for - I see the guide says around 24km per day taking 5 days but the AGACS website suggests 4 days of around 33km.

This leads me to wonder if I might walk Ferrol - Bruma in 2 days, bus to A Coruna then walk back to SdC in the remaining 3 days? Is this mental, should i just chill a wee bit? I'm mid-thirties, reasonably fit - I hill walk and do a bit of running - but have never walked long distance over several days before. I'm taken with the section between A Coruna and Bruma for the scenery but would like to do the extended distance from Ferrol. I'll be walking this for my Dad, who never managed it in this life.

Any advice/suggestions gratefully received :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This leads me to wonder if I might walk Ferrol - Bruma in 2 days, bus to A Coruna then walk back to SdC in the remaining 3 days? Is this mental, should i just chill a wee bit?

Sounds a little OTT to me :) I walked the Ingles from Ferrol with a friend who had already walked from A Coruna. Although he thinks the best scenery is probably on the A Coruna - Bruma section I don't think that the difference is so great as to make it worth the extra complication you suggest. Especially if you are unsure about how you will find long-distance walking for several days at a time. Your time frame is very tight already. Personally I would avoid making life more difficult for myself. The Ferrol route has its own beauty. Relax and enjoy it!

Hi,

Whilst doable in two days, Ferrol to Bruma is roughly 80km and undulating with a couple of pretty steep pitches. I'm not sure how enjoyable that would be. I'm with Bradypus, in sticking with Ferrol to Santiago, the scenery is just as nice.

Both legs involve a considerable walk out of the city (which I quite like) but not exactly beautiful.

Buen Camino
Mig

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks guys, guess I was getting a little carried away... so many route choices and so little time... I'll begin in Ferrol and just keep walking.

I am with everyone else, just stick with the Ferrol to Santiago way. We returned last week - It took us 9 days but we took our two children and both my wife and I are a little too much top heavy!! Be also prepared for some pretty nasty weather, which may slow you down. For about 5 days of our pilgrimage it hardly ever stopped raining with storm force winds! Buen Camino my friend.

Thank you Catholic Deacon, I'm used to bad weather living in Northwest Scotland but I am wondering how chilly it might be at night and in the evenings - can I ask what you packed for warmth (without adding too much weight)? I have waterproofs and a light down jacket, will I need a fleece or similar too?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nowhere along the Camino Ingles is very high and average temperatures are several degrees warmer than NW Scotland. Definitely warmer than Ullapool but probably just as wet :) A down jacket should be enough. Do not forget the waterproofs though.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks guys, guess I was getting a little carried away... so many route choices and so little time... I'll begin in Ferrol and just keep walking.
Sophie I have done the Ingles twice at 68 and 69. Just do the normal 5 days if you are fit and enjoy it. I can give you stopping points and help if you need it says a welshman with a scots wife buen camino

All good advice here. While Ferrol to Bruma in two days would be doable it would probably put you off Caminos for life, a very hard slog. The Ingles is lovely. Buen Camino.

Thank you Catholic Deacon, I'm used to bad weather living in Northwest Scotland but I am wondering how chilly it might be at night and in the evenings - can I ask what you packed for warmth (without adding too much weight)? I have waterproofs and a light down jacket, will I need a fleece or similar too?

Are you planning to stay in Hotel or Albergues? It was not that cold in the evening unless you have been walking in the wind and rain all day and can't get your things dry!! I am afraid I am not the best person to ask regarding clothing etc. I stupidly walked in brand new boots bought the day before and suffered terribly with my feet the whole journey :( I also just walked in t-shirts with a hoody type jacket and when it rained I put on a pac-a-mac. This was ok during the day as obviously I warmed up while walking but I did regret not taking a fleece for the evening. I also think waterproof trousers may have been good and also a cover for my rucksack - the bin bags kept blowing off!

The trouble with Galicia however is that the weather is very changeable. While getting soaked for about 5 days, on another day I suffered awful heat exhaustion with sickness, fever and convulsions. This largely occurred as once again ,stupidly, I did not bring a hat! Accordingly take a fleece, waterproofs and a hat!!! :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back