• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lengthen Camino Ingles?

JaneGeeson

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023 Camino Ingles
We are looking to use a commercial organisation to move our bags and book accommodation. Question is do we add a night at Neda or not? Or any other suggestions just a bit concerned that a number of days have around 30 kms to walk.

Also any recommendations for tour companies or things we should consider in selecting one?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I assume you are asking about where to add overnight stops to make your Camino "longer" in terms of more days. You can certainly do that by adding a night at Neda and anywhere else you want. I haven't walked the Inglés myself, but it looks to me as if it would be quite easy to plan shorter sections and more days. There are planning resources such as Gronze.com, which show accommodation options at various points.

I would say that most forum members don't use tour companies, but we do have some threads tagged with travel-agencies/groups that might be helpful to your decision-making.

We are looking to use a commercial organisation to move our bags and book accommodation. Question is do we add a night at Neda or not? Or any other suggestions just a bit concerned that a number of days have around 30 kms to walk.

Also any recommendations for tour companies or things we should consider in selecting one?
I only recall one really long day, Ferrol to Pontedeume, but at the time I didn't think that was overly hard, although it was a long walking day. There are always intermediate places to stay, although perhaps not albergues, that will allow you to walk shorter distances should you wish.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've just walked the Inglès, finished on Friday. I chose to skip Neda and walked straight through to Pontedeume, I'd trained a little so although it made for a long first day it was ok. I've posted a little of my journey here in 'on the Camino Inglès' thread.
Met someone along the way who spent the morning exploring Ferrol, then enjoyed a gentle walk (I think 10 km? ) into Neda after lunch. It's flat. Now THAT was smart! If you are unsure, I would highly recommend it! 🇳🇿

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You can shorten the etapa from Ferrol to Pontedeume by using the footbridge ( pasarela ) next to the railway at the Monasterio Do Couto.

There is also the option to walk next to the N -road though this is not recommended.

When I walked earlier this year we decided to have an easy first day and wandered up to Neda and then down a little to stay at Pazo da Merced. Fantastic accommodation with views over the river estuary. It was my friends first Camino and he enjoyed the shorter day as it gave him time to acclimatise. The Ingles is a short walk, so making it last seems a good idea if you have the time.

We booked ahead ourselves which for the most part was easy. In Bruma you haven't a lot of choice though, so check in advance or maybe yo-yo on and off the way using taxis? Sigueiro also had a severe lack of places as we were due to arrive on the weekend of the town festival.

Buen Camino

I walked the Ingles in October 2019 and had a great time. Most of the larger towns along the route have tourist offices that provide great assistance. There are plenty of lodging opportunities along the way except as previously mentioned near Burma. The albergue there was great with a good restaurant nearby. Because of limited options, some evening arriving pilgrims taxied to a nearby town for accommodations. I used the Gronze app and it fully met my needs. Buen camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We are doing the Ingles in September. Although we have walked a lot in the UK, nothing quite as long as some of these stages so we are looking forward to the challenge.
Because its our first Camino, we have booked through a travel company and will have reserved accomodation each night. We have also deceided to stop in Neda so we can break ourselves into the pilgrimage gently.

Has anyone stayed at Pensión A Cepa near Fene and then walked to Betanzos the next day , only I seem to be getting very different distances depending on which guide you are looking at .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here is my itineary set up by WalktheCamino (they are arranging bag transport as well)

Ferrol-Nada 15.5K
Nada-Pontedeume 16
Pontedeume-Mino 8
Mino-Betanzos 10
Betanzos - Presedo (taxi back to Betanzos) 11
Presedo - Bruma 13 (taxi to Presedo)
Bruma-Sigueiro 20
Sigueiro-Santiago 17
I am walking the Ingles in June with a friend who needs shorter stages due to a bit of nerve damage in her leg. We landed on the same itinerary as you though without bag transport. Nice to know we won’t be the only ones enjoying a “longer” camino.

Buen Camino! I walked the Ingles in September, 2019 and used the tour company “Follow the Camino” to arrange lodging and baggage transfers. It was my first Camino and was six days long:
Ferrol—Neda (~20 km)
Neda—Cabanas (-19 km)
Cabanas—Betanzos (~27 km)
Betanzos—O Meson do Vento (25 km)
O Meson do Vento—Siguiero (~28 km)
Siguiero—Santiago de Compostela (~19 km)

I really enjoyed a couple of shorter days at the onset. I didn’t train at all beforehand and am in my 60s, so this let me ease into the rhythm of hiking and also allowed me to take breaks and arrive early enough on Day 2 to enjoy gorgeous Praia da Madalena at Cabanas. I wish my Camino had lasted longer, so I’m very glad I didn’t compress it into 5 days!

All the best to you and I sincerely hope you find your journey to be as successful as I did.

If I walk the Camino ingles again I will stop in Neda. I didn’t last time and wished I had. The walk from Ferrol is entirely on pavement and it was very tiring, hard on the feet. For a more enjoyable, more leisurely walk, I recommend stopping in Neda.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We stopped in Neda. It made for two reasonable days to Pontedeurme. This sets you up nicely for the next longer stages - Betanzos, Bruma, Siguiero, SdeC - a six day Camino. If Bruma is full just walk up to Meson de Venta on the highway (1.5km) where there is more accommodation, but not albergues. Just before Bruma stop for break at Cafe Avelina - almost obligatory!

Neda is good stop over to get you in the swing of the Camino. I used Camino Facil for luggage transfer and they were great. I had a couple of accommodations that were not on their web forms and I contacted them and they added my accommodations.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am walking the Ingles in June with a friend who needs shorter stages due to a bit of nerve damage in her leg. We landed on the same itinerary as you though without bag transport. Nice to know we won’t be the only ones enjoying a “longer” camino.
I have a friend who is also walking it in June with a friend with nerve damage in her leg - ME. One foot surgery, ankle broken twice, seven knee surgeries plus a less-than-perfect replacement, permanent nerve damage... and that's just the RIGHT leg! But I am determined, and blessed to have such a dear friend joining me on the Camino.
We are also planning on shorter stages and allowing extra days to complete the trek.

I have a friend who is also walking it in June with a friend with nerve damage in her leg - ME. One foot surgery, ankle broken twice, seven knee surgeries plus a less-than-perfect replacement, permanent nerve damage... and that's just the RIGHT leg! But I am determined, and blessed to have such a dear friend joining me on the Camino.
We are also planning on shorter stages and allowing extra days to complete the trek.
Great that you are going for it. I know for my friend it has become a very important goal and I am happy to help her realize it. We’re departing Ferrol June 1–maybe we’ll see you along the way. Ultreia!

Great that you are going for it. I know for my friend it has become a very important goal and I am happy to help her realize it. We’re departing Ferrol June 1–maybe we’ll see you along the way. Ultreia!
Maybe we will see each other along the way! We depart Ferrol the day after you. Ultreia!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We are doing the Ingles in September. Although we have walked a lot in the UK, nothing quite as long as some of these stages so we are looking forward to the challenge.
Because its our first Camino, we have booked through a travel company and will have reserved accomodation each night. We have also deceided to stop in Neda so we can break ourselves into the pilgrimage gently.
Walking a lot is great but I seriously advise putting some elevation into your walking there are some serious hills in the Camino Ingles. Plus bring softer shoes to avoid blisters and be aware there is some tarmac periods and also rough and sharp gravel. Because of the hils 20 plus KM takes significantly longer than on flat. Get used to using poles they are a real life saver.

Here are my suggested stages, for eight or more total, if you want to take a look! Just click on the link. You can always combine two stages, as you feel fit! Happy planning!
This is great! We are hoping to walk the Camino Ingles next spring and wanted to make it a pleasurable, leisurely walk and this looks about perfect for us!

Thank you very much.

I see some inconsistencies between @wisepilgrim and Gronze regarding distances on the Inglés.

Wise Pilgrim has:
Pontedeume - Betanzos 14.5km
Betanzos - Hospital de Bruma 30.1km

Gronze has:
Pontedeume - Betanzos 19.7km
Betanzos - Hospital de Bruma 24.0km

So a similar distance over the two stages but quite different for each stage. Does anyone know what the actual distances are?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My wife and I walked the Inglès in April
According to komoot
Ferrol to Pontdeume 29k
Pontdeume to Betanzos 20.3k
Betanzos to Bruma 26.1k (we went to the pension)
Bruma to Segueiro 25.1k
Segueiro to SdC 16.8k

Hope this helps
Enjoy

This is what I recorded on Wikiloc, and taken from my website:
  • Day One ~ Ferrol to Neda, 13.14 Km (8.17 Miles)
  • Day Two ~ Neda to Pontedeume, 14.07 Km (8.74 Miles)
  • Day Three ~ Pontedeume to Miño, 10.45 Km (6.49 Miles)
  • Day Four ~ Miño to Betanzos, 11.10 Km (6.9 Miles)
  • Day Five ~ Betanzos to Presedo, 11.26 Km (7.06 Miles)
  • Day Six ~ Presedo to Hospital de Bruma, 12.73 Km (7.91 Miles)
  • Day Seven ~ Hospital de Bruma to Sigüeiro, 24.3 Km (15.1 Miles), (I also offer suggestions on how to break up this long day if desired, click here for the web page.)
  • Day Eight ~ Sigüeiro to Santiago de Compostela, 15.8 Km (9.82 Miles)
Adding day three and four, Pontedeume to Betanzos, I got 21.55 km, and adding day five and six, I got 23.99 km to the municipal albergue. These figures are more inline with Gronze and @sprinto.

Great, thank you both. We are walking the Inglés in six days with two camino newbies (including a 16-year-old) so I am thinking of something like this (adapting Elle's list) to start slowly:
  • Day One ~ Ferrol to Neda, 13.14 Km
  • Day Two ~ Neda to Pontedeume, 14.07 Km
  • Day Three ~ Pontedeume to Betanzos, 21.55 Km
  • Day Four ~ Betanzos to Hospital de Bruma, 23.99 Km
  • Day Five ~ Hospital de Bruma to Sigüeiro, 24.3 Km
  • Day Six ~ Sigüeiro to Santiago de Compostela, 15.8 Km
If there were an accommodation option 4-5km beyond Pontedeume, that could work for day two but it appears there isn't anything until Miño another 10km further.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If there were an accommodation option 4-5km beyond Pontedeume, that could work for day two but it appears there isn't anything until Miño another 10km further.
There is the Pensión Mesón Paz, a few steps off-Camino, about one kilometer south of the center of Pontedeume, and the Hotel Montebreamo, even a little closer, if that helps you any! You could knock out that long climb up/out of Pontedeume, at least. You can look at my map here, too. Otherwise, Miño is your only other option.

Sounds like fun with a 16 year old! Ha!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
No rooms in Bruma tonight. Anywhere. Is it cheating to take a cab 10k away to get a place to stay?
Hello all, I'll be walking the Camino Inlgés staring 21st May, along with my husband and my mother. My husband and I are relatively fit, in our mid-40's, and my 75-year-old mother is somewhat fit...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.