• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

20 days to walk the camino 15km - 20km daily using bag transport

Cath P.

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del norte "2015"
Camino de francés "2015"
Hi everyone,
20 days to walk 15km's per day I hope!
Using slackpackers as I can't carry my bag (day pack only as spinal problems).
Im catching a train from Barcelona to Burgos. Thinking to stay a night and bus onto Leon.
I understand Burgos cathedral must be seen, will I miss any beautiful walking from Burgos to Leon?
Does anyone have any helpful advise on what paths are really scenic do NOT bus?
Can anyone give me some advice on the Leon to Astorga journey?
Scenic days/peaceful days? I had written down all my notes however they have been lost and I'm leaving next week. ouch !
Thanks all :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Cath, I will be on my first Camino one week after you so I can't answer any of your questions yet but I did want to say welcome and also wish you a Buen Camino!

I walked from St. Jean last spring. Not sure I would have missed any of it. The Meseta was amazing - good people and good food and unbelievable hospitaleros! Burgos is beautiful and so is the Michelangelo in Logroño! The roman mosaics just off the camino at Quintanilla de la Cueza were awesome. The Gaudi architecture in Léon and Astorga were notable as is the holy grail in the basilica de San Isadora. And Galicia? Caldo Gallegos, rain, of course Santiago!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi everyone,
Im catching a train from Barcelona to Burgos. Thinking to stay a night and bus onto Leon.
I understand Burgos cathedral must be seen, will I miss any beautiful walking from Burgos to Leon?
Scenic days/peaceful days? I had written down all my notes however they have been lost and I'm leaving next week. ouch !
if you have the time, the meseta experience between burgos in león can be memorable. or at least walk to mansilla de mulas as the walk into león is not exactly exciting. on the other hand, i would skip the section between león and astorga, and start from astorga where the Camino becomes wow as it meanders into el bierzo and then galicia.
Buen Camino!

Hi everyone,
Hi Cath, Burgos kathedral is very nice , it's "almost" a must to visit. I persenely loved the Meseta. And I liked the alternative route (it begins after Leon )from La Virgen del Camino to Puente Y Hospital De Orbigo. And I had a great time at the albergue San Javier in Astorga, near the kathedral.
The choice is yours and wath ever you decite, you will have a great time.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Why skip any of it? Just start in Burgos and walk as far as you can. The Camino is not supposed to be about what is beautiful only, it's a complete experience, with the good and the bad. If you want to pick a la Michelin Guide and only see the "best sites" may I suggest you then stay in hotels and not albergues that are reserved for pilgrims who do walk?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Why skip any of it? Just start in Burgos and walk as far as you can. The Camino is not supposed to be about what is beautiful only, it's a complete experience, with the good and the bad. If you want to pick a la Michelin Guide and only see the "best sites" may I suggest you then stay in hotels and not albergues that are reserved for pilgrims who do walk?

Good Lord :rolleyes: The Camino can be whatever experience an individual makes it. If Kath wants to see the beautiful parts - of which there are many - there is nothing wrong with that. If she wants to stay in albergues, she has every right to do that too. In case you missed it in her OP, she does have a spinal problem. Try to be a bit more respectful and a little less judgemental.

Certainly do not miss Burgos - lots to see, as well as the cathedral.
Then, walk to Carrion de los Condes to experience the Meseta, get bus from there to Leon, spend at least a day there, then walk to Sarria (get local bus out of Leon to La Virgen del Camino, to avoid some dire trekking through industrial landscapes and busy roads. Be sure to take a left at Virgen to follow the off road route to Hospital de Orbigo.
Astorga is well worth a visit, and if you can walk as far as Sarria you can bus via Lugo to Santiago. Otherwise take it easy to Ponferrada then bus/train the remainder.
Buen camino!

I think the OP is going to walk it, her way. Why is it that some on here get so p*****
off because others wish to do the camino in a way different to the one they would advocate?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi everyone,
Me again, why not begin your journey from Burgos and see where it gets you.
And when you not get to Santiago, come back and walk to Santiago and to the end of the world. You have to make a choice what to do. Buen Camino.

I walked from St. Jean last spring. Not sure I would have missed any of it. The Meseta was amazing - good people and good food and unbelievable hospitaleros! Burgos is beautiful and so is the Michelangelo in Logroño! The roman mosaics just off the camino at Quintanilla de la Cueza were awesome. The Gaudi architecture in Léon and Astorga were notable as is the holy grail in the basilica de San Isadora. And Galicia? Caldo Gallegos, rain, of course Santiago!

Thank you Jetgirl, I appreciate your information:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Cath, Burgos kathedral is very nice , it's "almost" a must to visit. I persenely loved the Meseta. And I liked the alternative route (it begins after Leon )from La Virgen del Camino to Puente Y Hospital De Orbigo. And I had a great time at the albergue San Javier in Astorga, near the kathedral.

Peter, your information is really helpful, thank you :)

if you have the time, the meseta experience between burgos in león can be memorable. or at least walk to mansilla de mulas as the walk into león is not exactly exciting. on the other hand, i would skip the section between león and astorga, and start from astorga where the Camino becomes wow as it meanders into el bierzo and then galicia.
Buen Camino!

Thanks Jeffery on the Camino, helpful advice! Gratefully received. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good Lord :rolleyes: The Camino can be whatever experience an individual makes it. If Kath wants to see the beautiful parts - of which there are many - there is nothing wrong with that. If she wants to stay in albergues, she has every right to do that too. In case you missed it in her OP, she does have a spinal problem. Try to be a bit more respectful and a little less judgemental.

Hello Cath. Well I think it all depends on how much you want to reach Santiago this year, or if you are prepared to arrive in Santiago another time. If so, why not consider starting in Pamplona ? I think there is a beauty in walking the whole Camino, just not at once but maybe in two periods. Personally, all parts of the camino have a meaning for me and for me also the suburban industrial parts are there to be walked (by the way, you do not save that much time by bussing in and out of Leon and Burgos). So I can not really advice you on what are the most scenic parts, which is a subjective thing anyway. Personally, I really love the mesetas, but others find it flat and boring. So I would suggest just starting to walk in Burgos and just let the camino unfold itself. Whatever you do, i wish you a good camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi everyone,
Dear cath. Good on you doing the camino. The Mesata is a wonderful place to walk. After just doing the camino in July, I would suggest getting a bus into Leon and then getting a bus to hospital Orbiga as the walk from there is lovely. However do see the reply re alternative route from Virgin del camino. Also if you have spinal problems perhaps the very long Tarmac section from Carrion might well be avoided.its about 17 or18 km with only a lay bay cafe beforecalzadilla, but thankGod for that little lay caf. I was never so glad to see a roadside cafe!! Personally, I would also give the section between villa franka and ages a miss as we found it tiresome and boring and could be very wet after rain. I hope I have answered your question and take the replies that suit YOU and not the unkind replies. Best wishes and have a great time

OUCH! Anemone del camino. Not a kind reply. A lot of " cheapskates" stay in albergues when they are not pilgrims. Live and let live. Judge not and ye shall not be judged. Let this brave lady do the camino in the best way she knows how with a timescale of 20 days. She is asking for advice So try and be positive, not negative. Best wishes to you

May I suggest a visit to the current "peregino vs cheap tourist thread" and especially the one by Sillydoll on the history of albergues.

Having a bad back does mean you have to deprive yourself from a Camino experience. Visiting here and there rather than walking from point a to point b, no matter what these points are and how long you take to walk that distance, will not give you that experience.

You have 10 days? Walk for 10 days. Getting to Santiago is important to you? Start from a point from which you ca get to it. Can only walk 5 km per day, walk 5 km.

Took me 3 trips to walk the full CF. On CF1 I met a 20 year old who had taken 30 days to walk what others did in 20 or so. Why? She didn't follow stages from guidebooks, if she walked through a village she liked she would stay there. If she felt like walking 30km the next day she would. It had never occured to me you could do short days and just enjoy the process. Life lesson I learned that day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Personally, I would also give the section between villa franka and ages a miss as we found it tiresome and boring and could be very wet after rain.

Ask a 100 pilgrims, you get 101 opinions, I just love that:) The monastery and church of San Juan de Ortega, just in the middle of a lovely forest walk from Villafranca to Ages. Not to be missed, IMHO.

Ask a 100 pilgrims, you get 101 opinions, I just love that:) The monastery and church of San Juan de Ortega, just in the middle of a lovely forest walk from Villafranca to Ages. Not to be missed, IMHO.
Yes I agree with you re the many opinions! Taken as a whole,walking Every inch of the camino is really not to be missed and we were glad to have the time just " to take the time" in July. Best wishes.

May I suggest a visit to the current "peregino vs cheap tourist thread" and especially the one by Sillydoll on the history of albergues.

Having a bad back does mean you have to deprive yourself from a Camino experience. Visiting here and there rather than walking from point a to point b, no matter what these points are and how long you take to walk that distance, will not give you that experience.

That's a very subjective point of view. Unless you yourself have spinal problems I don't see how you would know this. A Camino experience is different for everybody. Just because you don't approve, it doesn't mean another pilgrim can't walk his or her way.

Regarding Sillydoll's post in the thread you mentioned, it is also stated that any pilgrims who can't afford hotels or other accommodation are welcome at albergues. How do you know Cath's financial situation? Besides, she may not be walking the Camino your way, but she is walking it nevertheless. As I said earlier, she is just as entitled to stay in an albergue as any other pilgrim.

I feel she is going to enjoy her experience her way, whether you approve or not. And the latter is not remotely important.

Oh and Cath - never let anyone make you feel bad. Hold your head high and have your own marvellous experience. It will be worth it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We are starting in Estella this year....resuming from the albergue where my husband broke his hip a year and a half ago. When choosing our plan this time we mainly considered the question of his ability to walk...the recovery from surgery has not been a smooth one. Revisiting Estella was a strong emotional pull.... He has a need to actually see where he fell. We hope to leave there and walk at least as far as Logroño. Reaching Santiago is spiritually important to me, and this year we don't have unlimited time. We have decided on this attempt to bus from Logroño to Astorga, then walk the rest. All of these threads always me remind how quick we are to judge others, how often we are wrong about our opinions, and how much gentler and happier we are when we just try to appreciate that there are no right/wrong ways to walk the Camino. I'm sure with some of the great advice you've been given, you will have a beautiful experience.

Hi Cath, that sounds good to me if you have limited time. Whatever you decide, Buen Camino! Jill

Another interesting thread just came up: How far from Pamplona. Someone else looking for nice scenary, only to be told there really isn't anything spectacular, that the secret is in the opportunity to walk long distance.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Another interesting thread just came up: How far from Pamplona. Someone else looking for nice scenary, only to be told there really isn't anything spectacular, that the secret is in the opportunity to walk long distance.

People see beauty in different things. I would hardly call the CF unspectacular and am frankly surprised it was even said. For some people, believe it or not, it is the walking and the scenery. It definitely was for me. Everyone is going to have different opinions.

Thanks Peter, I appreciate ur information & time to reply :) Cath

People see beauty in different things. I would hardly call the CF unspectacular and am frankly surprised it was even said. For some people, believe it or not, it is the walking and the scenery. It definitely was for me. Everyone is going to have different opinions.

Thank you Pelle, I appreciate your words. :). Cath

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I prefer mountains and greenery so my favorite part of the camino is from Astorga to Santiago. A very doable distance in twenty days - you might even end up with extra days so you could catch the bus to Finistera. The meseta was tough for me. I could have sworn they kept moving the churches in the distance at the same pace I was walking. They never seemed to get closer!!! I also envied the men as I am quite modest and there were areas where the bushes were few and far between. I ended up not drinking enough water so I developped tendonitis on that stretch.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A heart breaking read for those who feel entitled to cheap accomadations on the Camino. Please search "a sad sign on the door at Granon" fom pergrina2000. The albergue in Granon not feeding people de to those staying the night before not leaving enough money other than for cleaning. Never mind how pleased those giving 2 weeks of free labour to work in albergues feel about being taken for a ride.

A heart breaking read for those who feel entitled to cheap accomadations on the Camino. Please search "a sad sign on the door at Granon" fom pergrina2000. The albergue in Granon not feeding people de to those staying the night before not leaving enough money other than for cleaning. Never mind how pleased those giving 2 weeks of free labour to work in albergues feel about being taken for a ride.
I can see absolutely nothing on this thread to suggest anyone is "feeling entitled to cheap accommodation", let alone behaving like those described on the other thread. And I cannot understand, Anemone, why you seem to feel compelled to keep up these attacks on the poor OP, who simply asked for suggestions. She has limited time and a spinal problem. If you don't approve of her approach why not just let it go now, and stop posting these unfriendly comments on this thread? Enough now.

I can see absolutely nothing on this thread to suggest anyone is "feeling entitled to cheap accommodation", let alone behaving like those described on the other thread. And I cannot understand, Anemone, why you seem to feel compelled to keep up these attacks on the poor OP, who simply asked for suggestions. She has limited time and a spinal problem. If you don't approve of her approach why not just let it go now, and stop posting these unfriendly comments on this thread? Enough now.

Thank you 'Getting There'. Feeling really uncomfortable with comments & to be on 'the way' there are spiritual reasons behind my travel won't comment more on public forum, however just to say I appreciate your post & feel the same, it's enough now.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We are starting in Estella this year....resuming from the albergue where my husband broke his hip a year and a half ago. When choosing our plan this time we mainly considered the question of his ability to walk...the recovery from surgery has not been a smooth one. Revisiting Estella was a strong emotional pull.... He has a need to actually see where he fell. We hope to leave there and walk at least as far as Logroño. Reaching Santiago is spiritually important to me, and this year we don't have unlimited time. We have decided on this attempt to bus from Logroño to Astorga, then walk the rest. All of these threads always me remind how quick we are to judge others, how often we are wrong about our opinions, and how much gentler and happier we are when we just try to appreciate that there are no right/wrong ways to walk the Camino. I'm sure with some of the great advice you've been given, you will have a beautiful experience.
Thank you for sharing. I wish you & ur husband a buen Camino. Blessings, x

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back