• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2023 Camino Frances

bhemphill

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
My plan is to walk the Camino May or June 2023. I am researching and walking a lot in preparation. I lost my walking partner (husband) to covid so will attempt this alone. Much to my children's dismay. If you were to give me 3 main things to do to prepare, what would that be?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I like to read a lot of Camino books. There are tons of them out there! There is a book section on the forum. Lots are just books about "this was my Camino" and those are good to get a feel of how days may go. Other books are more story collections. I also like those.
Some of my favorites:
Furnace Full of God; I'll Push You; It's about Time;
Lots and lots more. There is a book review section here on the forum so you might look there. I read a lot of books on Kindle Unlimited so I can read and return and read some more.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And don’t forget the most important one: start walking! Walk every day! Long walks, short walks, walks with friends or alone, walks with a pack or unencumbered, but always walking! The less the physical challenges you, the more you can be present for the mental/emotional/spiritual moments.

Firstly, sorry about the loss of your husband to this awful disease.

I will be a contrarian and advise you not to read a lot of books or watch videos about people's experiences on the Camino. Your Camino should be your journey without previous influence of the experiences of others.

Mostly I would suggest getting into the best physical shape you can, researching gear and deciding what's best for you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Firstly, sorry about the loss of your husband to this awful disease.

I will be a contrarian and advise you not to read a lot of books or watch videos about people's experiences on the Camino. Your Camino should be your journey without previous influence of the experiences of others.

Mostly I would suggest getting into the best physical shape you can, researching gear and deciding what's best for you.
Thank you. We had plans to do this together, but alas, I will persevere.

It's too late. I've already read a crazy amount of information in trying to decide if this is for me. I think it is and am torn between walking this solo or trying to find a walking partner. I think the perfect walking partner would be someone that agrees we walk at our own pace but meet up at the end of each day.

Thanks for your advice.

I think it is and am torn between walking this solo or trying to find a walking partner. I think the perfect walking partner would be someone that agrees we walk at our own pace but meet up at the end of each day.
I encourage you to go alone. If you are on the Camino Francés you will have plenty of walking partners to choose from.

I will devour all of those recommendations! Thanks.
I watch Efren most every night. I'll tell my daughter, "Okay, I'm going to watch some Efren!" I find him so genial and watching is so comforting that I start to doze off. (BTW: I'm going on my first in October 2022.)

I'm sorry about your loss.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think the perfect walking partner would be someone that agrees we walk at our own pace but meet up at the end of each day.
If you are walking in May-June, you will find literally hundreds of those walking partners on your first day.
If you were to give me 3 main things to do to prepare, what would that be?
  1. Walk a lot - Make walking your main means of transportation and recreation, and use a backpack (just a day pack is fine) on your daily walks.
  2. Test different footwear until you find what is perfect for you - It is great to have a year to do this as you might need to try different models and sizes. There's tons of good advice here about foot wear.
  3. Participate in the forum - Perhaps start a thread about your foot wear research and trials. We are an interesting community of assorted people with one common interest. On any question, you will get many different opinions and attitudes, but you should be able to sort through them to find the solutions that seem to work for you. Don't get offended by the occasional debate or grumpy remark - but you are free to laugh - we all have less-than-stellar moments, and the internet is unforgiving.
Sorry to learn about your husband. I think the focus on walking the Camino is a very positive activity. If you are still having trouble convincing your children that it is a good idea for you to go alone, we are happy to support you!

I watch Efren most every night. I'll tell my daughter, "Okay, I'm going to watch some Efren!" I find him so genial and watching is so comforting that I start to doze off. (BTW: I'm going on my first in October 2022.)

I'm sorry about your loss.
Thanks for your kind words. Can't wait to hear how your Camino goes. Happy walking!

So sorry to hear about losing your husband.
It is wonderful for you to continue your dream in his honor, memory and to continue your healing.

I agree 100% with this advice. But you have already watched tons of stuff do not let it cloud your perceptions or introduce what a camino "should or may" be for you. It is your own and let things just unfold for you.
Everyone has fears and misgivings before your first camino. I have a few and I have walked 6,000 kilometers over 6 caminos. I am preparing for number 7 and I have doubts. Don't concern yourself as a fear and doubt you have on day 1, 2 or 3 that has been building for weeks and months will magically disappear by day 4 or 5. You will laugh about them.
Make sure you have good shoes that will not cause blisters. Personally I use trail runners. Unless you have a specific issue that requires boots or you have tried and true light boots that you love and have worn for months, boots are not needed on caminos. I have walked alot of different ones.
Get a good fitting pack and remember unless you absolutely need something don't take it. You are not in the Sahara or trekking on the Pacific Crest Trail and days away from civilization. You can buy EVERYTHING you may need.
For advice on packs and footwear check out posts by @davebugg he is an invaluable and super knowledgeable resource.
Get quick dry clothes and smartwool socks. If you are traveling in late spring to early fall. You could get by with just a silk sleep sack. If you need a sleeping bag get a small light one.
Can't decide if you want to walk with someone. It is your camino and it may be better to do it alone. If you are doing the Camino Frances you will meet lots of people. I have made life long friends I have met in the albergue I started in SJPP, and Irun. Before I took my first step. If you are starting in St. Jean there are lots of wonderful albergues to sleep in. I would recommend Belaire. I guarantee you will meet some wonderful people who you can help relieve you of your first day jitters and maybe meet that friend for life.
Remember the lesson that Don Juan taught Carlos Castaneda. Everyone has fear, but warriors are not afraid of being afraid.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My plan is to walk the Camino May or June 2023. I am researching and walking a lot in preparation. I lost my walking partner (husband) to covid so will attempt this alone. Much to my children's dismay. If you were to give me 3 main things to do to prepare, what would that be?
Hi. 1.Don't fret about walking alone. When I did my first Camino my son who was due to walk with me had to pull out due to w work problem at the last minute. I decided to carry on alone. He came out to meet me in Santiago when I finished and we spent a week together there. The first thing I said to him was: - "Don't take this the wrong way but I am glad you didn't come". I had the time of my life, met and interacted with people all sorts of people many of whom I am still in contact with 9 years later. Also, I had lots of time to myself to reflect. I know it is different for me being a retired man but I met and walked with many single females. The Camino is safe and friendly. I have been three more times since and always alone.
2.Don't over pack. The first time I walked my pack was 12/13 kilos and I carried it all the way. When I got home, I threw to one side everything I didn't use and it just weighed 8 kilos. That is all I have carried since.
3. Take your time and enjoy it. I have never booked a flight home until arriving in Santiago. I don't book alberques ahead and I carry my own pack. In this way I have no pressure on me to finish and if I have a problem I would just have to come home from where I was. This happened to me once when I got very sick in Pamplona and needed to fly home for three weeks medical treatment. (I went back after I got well). Also, if I am carrying my pack I stop when I feel like it and don't have to get somewhere to be reunited with the pack.
Go with an open heart and an open mind, relax and enjoy yourself. It is an experience you will never forget and it will change your life.
Buen Camino
Vince

First so sorry about your husband. :( I am also going in May 2023. (Well the very end of May. Probably leaving between May 29-May 31st depending on flights. My wife and oldest kids are supportive. My younger ones will probably miss me. Or at least I hope haha!
Since this will be my first Camino, my advice should be taken with a grain of salt I guess. But one thing I would do is to walk for yourself but let your family be that inspiration. Let that love you have for them and them for you guide you through the rough patches. We all go through mental battles when we are depressed or doubt ourselves. Let your family and husband 's memory be the energy that fuels you through these moments. The other advice I have is to prepare and plan but don't be rigid with your plan. You might need an extra day to rest or something might not go the way you expect. Your planning and research will assist you but you make the decisions that are best for you regardless of the plan.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Don't carry too much, a sleeping bag, small emergency pillow and pillow case and change of clothes. I carried 8 kilos in the winter. Though to be fair I was wearing a lot! Have good shoes or boots broken in.

Take your time, it isn't how quickly you arrive but how long you take to enjoy the experience that's important. If you allow 6 - 8 weeks you can stay a day or two if you are enjoying a place or there is a local festival etc. or if you are just tired or footsore. Spend a week in Santiago when you get there - it's wonderful.

Look around, don't wear a hood or listen to music, absorb the sights, smells and sounds, greet everyone you meet and smile a lot! You will be rewarded with many Buen Caminos. Enjoy yourself.

Can someone tell me the dimensions of the Spanish pillows that you find in the Albergues? When I walked in 2019, I carried a standard US pillowcase which wasn't the best fit for the long pillows. I plan on making the Way again in 2023 and would like to make a pillowcase that fits the long rectangle shape......if you can estimate the dimenions, please reply.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Three things to prepare for your Camino. An open heart. And open mind. And a willingness to go forward.
Buen Camino.

Walk, then walk some more, then keep walking
Keep moving, all will be fine.
Your in good hands

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
  1. Get a pair of shoes half a size bigger.
  2. Walk in Smartwool double cushion socks - expensive but worth it
  3. Train walking up hills, hills and more hills.
  4. Buy walking poles and learn how to use them.
  5. Start walking in May - the flowers are in bloom and it's cooler.
  6. Don't walk more than 25 km in a day unless you have to.
Sorry thats 6 suggestions.

Just finished the Camino Frances and loved it - planning to do it all again 2023.

best wishes for your Camino.

Steve

Can someone tell me the dimensions of the Spanish pillows that you find in the Albergues? When I walked in 2019, I carried a standard US pillowcase which wasn't the best fit for the long pillows. I plan on making the Way again in 2023 and would like to make a pillowcase that fits the long rectangle shape......if you can estimate the dimenions, please reply.
Did anyone ever answer you on this, Ellen? I have the same question. I remember there being pillows at most albergues, but can't remember if they were the size we generally use here in the USA or if they were larger.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back