• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A New Adventure is on The Way

MWerda

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2020)
Hello, Bonjour, Buenos Días,
I leave for my Camino in 148 days. I can’t believe it’s actually happening. My name is Mike. I’m a school teacher from coastal Mississippi, in the United States. I’ve been a lurker on this forum for a couple years. This past fall the bug hit and everything started falling into place. I previously explained in my introduction in the Class of 2020 thread ( https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/class-of-2020.58941/post-683888 ) how I was introduced to the idea of walking the Camino when a friend shared with me the movie, “The Way.” I thought about it, and eventually put it on the back burner. This past year some friends from my church parish did a pilgrimage to Fatima, Santiago, and Lourdes. One of the ladies posted a picture of the Botafumeiro, and my fire was stoked. When I finally told some friends that I was thinking of doing the Camino, that was all it took to manifest my dream.
So, now that most of my plans are solidified, what am I doing? The day after teachers finish for the school year, I’m on a flight for Paris. I’m spending the weekend (Pentecost weekend) in Paris and then taking a train to Lourdes. I’ve never been on a train, let alone a high speed train - I’m excited. I’ve been trying to learn a little French with Duolingo, both for Paris and Lourdes, but also because my Camino begins in Lourdes. On 03 June, I begin walking from Lourdes to Saint Jean Pied de Port. So, a little French might just help a week of walking in southern France. On 10 June, I begin walking the Camino Francés. I’m also taking a couple of Spanish classes to brush up on the Spanish I learned in middle school and high school. I’ve got reservations at Orrison and Roncesvalles. I’m not planning on rushing this pilgrimage. I’m going take 40 days to walk the Francés, attempting to stay between stages as much as possible. I’ll get into Santiago toward the end of July. The plan is to walk to the Atlantic and then bus back to Santiago for the weekend of 25 July, the Feast of Saint James. I made sure to get reservations in Santiago both before going to Finesterre/Muxia and for the return and weekend. I’m hoping the Cathedral will be open for Masses once again, not because it’s a culmination, but because it’s potentially part of the Camino experience.
I have learned so much from the posts I’ve been reading here on the forum, as well as vlogs on YouTube. And now, I have 138 days to wait, get in shape (strength training and training walks), and fine tune my packing list.
I’m sure many of you know the feeling, but the days I got my Orrison e-mail (that sounded a little like Harry Potter getting his Hogwarts letter, 🤔) and booked my flight I was tingling, giddy even. Even today, I just booked my flight from Santiago back to Paris and I’m grinning from ear to ear.

Buen Camino!
Mike

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello! I can just feel all your enthusiasm bubbling out in your post! I still get excited and will be walking my 6th and varied Camino route this coming spring. It sounds like you have gleaned all the help you have needed in preparation from this wonderful forum. I hope your camino experience will be all you hope for it to be...and more!
I wish you well and Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You will love it. Don't let your fear of your language skills spook you. You will never speak like a native and I for one who have lived there on and off for over 10 years still rely on my Franglais and Spanglish.
Also prepare yourself for an eye popping experience in Lourdes. Believe me and and others it is nothing like the rest of the Camino. Once you start walking from there you will get your rhythm. Forty days is perfect, parfait, perfecto.

Last edited:
Buen Camino Mike!
My sister and I are hoping to walk around that time but we will probably be on the Madrid Camino. No flights booked yet but definitely itching to go!

I also can feel your excitement and share your joy and anticipation Mike. I will also be experiencing the Camino for the first time in early April 2020 and like you, am counting the days. Wishing you a safe and memorable journey. Buen Camino 🤸‍♀️😀

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You will love it. Don't let your fear of your language skills spook you. You will never speak like a native and I for one who have lived there on and off for over 10 years still rely on my Franglais and Spanglish.
Also prepare yourself for an eye popping experience in Lourdes. Believe me and and others it is nothing like the rest of the Camino. Once you start walking from there you will get your rhythm. Forty days is perfect, parfait, perfecto.
Thank you for words of encouragement. I agree, I’ll never speak like them. But, hopefully I will be able to speak with them. I love languages, and I’m hoping some immersion will improve mine.

I also can feel your excitement and share your joy and anticipation Mike. I will also be experiencing the Camino for the first time in early April 2020 and like you, am counting the days. Wishing you a safe and memorable journey. Buen Camino 🤸‍♀️😀
Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I anticipate that you will have a wonderful and fulfilling time ahead.

It seems as though it is a long ways to when you board the plane and depart for Camino, but the time will suddenly evaporate, and you will be left amazed at how quickly the time has past. :)

So, enjoy all the time ahead as you prepare, as well as the time when you are on Camino. We are here to support you, and to help you as we can. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't you love when a seed 🌱 is planted? It simmers away on the back-burner until it simply must be addressed.
Buen Camino for your first walk @MWerda ...I can tell you already, it most likely won't be your last, sending you on a whole new path (pardon the pun) like thousands of us before you.
Enjoy!
👣 🌏

I leave for my Camino in 148 days. I can’t believe it’s actually happening. My name is Mike. I’m a school teacher from coastal Mississippi, in the United States. I’ve been a lurker on this forum for a couple years. This past fall the bug hit and everything started falling into place. I previously explained in my introduction in the Class of 2020 thread ( https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/class-of-2020.58941/post-683888 ) how I was introduced to the idea of walking the Camino when a friend shared with me the movie, “The Way.” I thought about it, and eventually put it on the back burner. This past year some friends from my church parish did a pilgrimage to Fatima, Santiago, and Lourdes. One of the ladies posted a picture of the Botafumeiro, and my fire was stoked. When I finally told some friends that I was thinking of doing the Camino, that was all it took to manifest my dream.
So, now that most of my plans are solidified, what am I doing? The day after teachers finish for the school year, I’m on a flight for Paris. I’m spending the weekend (Pentecost weekend) in Paris and then taking a train to Lourdes. I’ve never been on a train, let alone a high speed train - I’m excited. I’ve been trying to learn a little French with Duolingo, both for Paris and Lourdes, but also because my Camino begins in Lourdes. On 03 June, I begin walking from Lourdes to Saint Jean Pied de Port. So, a little French might just help a week of walking in southern France. On 10 June, I begin walking the Camino Francés. I’m also taking a couple of Spanish classes to brush up on the Spanish I learned in middle school and high school. I’ve got reservations at Orrison and Roncesvalles. I’m not planning on rushing this pilgrimage. I’m going take 40 days to walk the Francés, attempting to stay between stages as much as possible. I’ll get into Santiago toward the end of July. The plan is to walk to the Atlantic and then bus back to Santiago for the weekend of 25 July, the Feast of Saint James. I made sure to get reservations in Santiago both before going to Finesterre/Muxia and for the return and weekend. I’m hoping the Cathedral will be open for Masses once again, not because it’s a culmination, but because it’s potentially part of the Camino experience.
I have learned so much from the posts I’ve been reading here on the forum, as well as vlogs on YouTube. And now, I have 138 days to wait, get in shape (strength training and training walks), and fine tune my packing list.
I’m sure many of you know the feeling, but the days I got my Orrison e-mail (that sounded a little like Harry Potter getting his Hogwarts letter, 🤔) and booked my flight I was tingling, giddy even. Even today, I just booked my flight from Santiago back to Paris and I’m grinning from ear to ear.

Buen Camino!
Mike
Feeding on your excitement and wishing it was my turn! ....but 2021 is my year and savouring it already!
Altreia y buen camino!

Buen Camino!
Mike

My first is planned for Sept/Oct but excitement may mean I have to bring it forward. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Buen Camino!
Mike
Congratulations and best of luck as you go through the planning. I envy you getting the feeling of your first Camino. It can be a life changing experience. Savour and enjoy each day.

I can feel the excitement building in your post. It sounds like you have all the necessary planning done, so just enjoy the anticipation. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Buen Camino!
Mike
What a lovely post! I am headed for my second Camino, this time in Portugal, this summer. Maybe we will see each other! Buen Camino!

Yay, Mike! Love your energy! It's clear that you're a great teacher. Thank you! This experience will change your mindset... mostly for the better, some for the profoundly uncertain as life goes forward. You and everyone that you touch thereafter will be different. Congrats on a great decision, with much Camino love, from a retired teacher.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Mike
I’ll be a couple of days ahead of you on the Francés. I leave Saint Jean in 7 June. I’ve also booked Orisson and Roncesvalles and also booked Albergue Suseia in Zubiri. No plans after that. Will just stop wherever I feel like it. I’m taking early retirement from my job at end of April so can take as long as I like to walk. I intend to walk to Santiago and then to Finisterre and Muxia and then be a tourist for a couple of weeks in Spain and maybe Portugal. Currently doing a mixture of strength training and cardio at the gym 6 days a week and walking at weekends. I have 15 days holiday to use before the end of March so I’m going to start taking a day off mid week which will give me another walking day.
Buen Camino
Marie

Buen Camino!
Mike
Congratulations on getting this far in your preparations. It sounds like you have a good grasp of the Camino and I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time. Research and training do help. I gleaned a lot of info from this forum as well. I did the Frances this year in April and may and did continue to Finisterre and that was a great way for me to end my Camino. All the best to you and Buen Camino.

Buen Camino!
Mike

Hello,
You have a great plan.
I am also a school teacher, but I am in Michigan. A few days after school ends, I leave from Detroit on June 3rd and plan to begin from SJPP on June 5. You will love every step, even on the most difficult days. I have walked two partial Caminos. This is the first full CF. At first when I was reading your post I thought we would overlap, but now I think not. Anyway, blessings to you! Enjoy!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back