• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A pilgrim walking the French way in Feb.2017

Mirabelle Lee

Time of past OR future Camino
French way (Sep-Oct. 2013)
French way(09. Feb-24. Mar. 2017)
Hi. This is Mirabelle from South Korea.
I walked from SJPP to Fisterra 3years ago and I'm going to the same route in 07, Feb 2017 for 35days again!
But I worry about the safety becuase I heard there would be not many ppl on the road on Feb.
So I would make Camino friends walk with me here and hope to finish it without any problem.

Everyone, Buen Camino!!!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi. This is Mirabelle from South Korea.
I walked from SJPP to Fisterra 3years ago and I'm going to the same route in 09, Feb 2017 for 35days again!
But I worry about the safety becuase I heard there would be not many ppl on the road on Feb.
So I would make Camino friends walk with me here and hope to finish it without any problem.

Everyone, Buen Camino!!!

Hi and welcome here!

Take a good look at the threads here that give advice on a winter Camino and how to prepare for them in a safe way.
Also take into consideration that a lot of albergues will be closed so preparing is essential.
The Napoleon route from Saint Jean will be closed so you will have to take the Valcarlos route.
The people at the pilgrim's reception in Saint Jean will give you all the advice and please listen careful to them.

Happy preparations!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome to the Forum!

For current on-going experiences re the CF now this winter see this very useful Forum thread.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-frances-in-winter.44511/

Also scan this earlier Forum thread for posts/ links by many of us who have walked the camino at this time to help you further prepare your winter camino.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...forum-walking-this-dec-jan.42732/#post-437828

Stay safe, Buen camino and Happy New Year!

And of course I should have written that @mspath is the best person here to give excellent advice on winter Caminos.:)

Welcome to the Forum!

For current on-going experiences re the CF now this winter see this very useful Forum thread.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-frances-in-winter.44511/

Also scan this earlier Forum thread for posts/ links by many of us who have walked the camino at this time to help you further prepare your winter camino.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...forum-walking-this-dec-jan.42732/#post-437828

Stay safe, Buen camino and Happy New Year!

Dear. mspath
I'm very appreciated your tips!!!
It is very useful preparing for my winter camino!!!
Thank you and I will look them up!

Hi and welcome here!

Take a good look at the threads here that give advice on a winter Camino and how to prepare for them in a safe way.
Also take into consideration that a lot of albergues will be closed so preparing is essential.
The Napoleon route from Saint Jean will be closed so you will have to take the Valcarlos route.
The people at the pilgrim's reception in Saint Jean will give you all the advice and please listen careful to them.

Happy preparations!!

Hi. SabineP
Thank you for your reply and the link :)
Will check them up while I arrange the camino!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Last edited:
In January I encountered only twelve fellow pilgrims walking from Leon to Santiago.

In March I encountered about three times that traveling from Pamplona to Santiago. February should be about in the middle!

Buen camino. :)

Hi Mirabelle from South Korea :)

Your decision to walk in February is admirable, I considered starting in February but decided March was slightly easier for a first timer like me. I have paid for my flights & train to France, I start in Bayonne on 1st March but I have not booked any return travel yet because I wasn't sure how long it was going to take.

I am also planning to walk to Finisterre via SJPP and SdC, did it take you 35 days the first time you did it? Were you walking at a quick pace or fairly relaxed?

I have read that it is worth the extra day of walking to visit Muxia before Finisterre, so I intend do that also.

Is the 35 days including the time it takes to travel to your airport after you arrived at Finisterre or just to arrive at Finisterre? Did you walk back to SdC or take a bus/train etc?

I have also seen that after Finisterre it can be cheaper and just as easy to fly from A Coruna, Vigo or even Porto instead of SdC....would you know if this is true or perhaps anyone else reading this....?

Apologies for so many questions, please don't feel obliged to answer all of them and thank you in advance for any answers you might be able to provide.

BC :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Mirabelle from South Korea :)

Your decision to walk in February is admirable, I considered starting in February but decided March was slightly easier for a first timer like me. I have paid for my flights & train to France, I start in Bayonne on 1st March but I have not booked any return travel yet because I wasn't sure how long it was going to take.

I am also planning to walk to Finisterre via SJPP and SdC, did it take you 35 days the first time you did it? Were you walking at a quick pace or fairly relaxed?

I have read that it is worth the extra day of walking to visit Muxia before Finisterre, so I intend do that also.

Is the 35 days including the time it takes to travel to your airport after you arrived at Finisterre or just to arrive at Finisterre? Did you walk back to SdC or take a bus/train etc?

I have also seen that after Finisterre it can be cheaper and just as easy to fly from A Coruna, Vigo or even Porto instead of SdC....would you know if this is true or perhaps anyone else reading this....?

Apologies for so many questions, please don't feel obliged to answer all of them and thank you in advance for any answers you might be able to provide.

BC :)

Hi. BC

When I arrived at Paris, I just stayed there for 1 nite and then, I took TGV for SJPP next day. And I started Camino 1 day after I arrived at SJPP. So it already passed 2days.
And then, I walked from SJPP to Santiago for 35days with normal speed walking. (I walked 25km for 6~7hours including lunch time everyday on everage.)
But I stayed Pamplona and Leon for 2days to look around the big city.
So if you don't wanna take a rest at any cities, I think it is enough for you to arrive at Santiago in 33~34days.

Going to Fisterra/Muxia......
I took a bus for Cee at Santiago and then stay there for 1 nite and then, I walked to Fisterra. It takes only a few hours to arrive at Fisterra.
If you wanna walk from Santiago to Fisterra, I think it takes for 5days. And you can go to Muxia from Fisterra for 1 day.

For the fly from Coruna, Vigo or Porto, I'm sorry but I don;t know the information at all. :)

Anyway, hope you prepare for the Camino well and Buen Camino!!

Jihyun Lee

Hi. BC

When I arrived at Paris, I just stayed there for 1 nite and then, I took TGV for SJPP next day. And I started Camino 1 day after I arrived at SJPP. So it already passed 2days.
And then, I walked from SJPP to Santiago for 35days with normal speed walking. (I walked 25km for 6~7hours including lunch time everyday on everage.)
But I stayed Pamplona and Leon for 2days to look around the big city.
So if you don't wanna take a rest at any cities, I think it is enough for you to arrive at Santiago in 33~34days.

Going to Fisterra/Muxia......
I took a bus for Cee at Santiago and then stay there for 1 nite and then, I walked to Fisterra. It takes only a few hours to arrive at Fisterra.
If you wanna walk from Santiago to Fisterra, I think it takes for 5days. And you can go to Muxia from Fisterra for 1 day.

For the fly from Coruna, Vigo or Porto, I'm sorry but I don;t know the information at all. :)

Anyway, hope you prepare for the Camino well and Buen Camino!!

Jihyun Lee

Hi Jihyun :)

First my apologies, I write BC because I'm too lazy to write Buen Camino....

Second, thank you very much for writing such a detailed reply. It's very useful information which has helped me to decide when to book my flight home. Until the summer, there is a limited selection of flights and they can be more expensive. However there was a flight from Porto to Manchester on 9th April so I am going to stay for one night in Porto.

This will give me 37 days available to walk and like you did, I would like to stay for a day in SJdPP, Pamplona and Leon, I'll see how it goes. I think I'll walk the Voie de la Nive from Bayonne-StJdPP on my next time, so on this Camino I'll have enough time to walk to Fisterra and Muxia.

I hope your preparation goes well also, I hope it doesn't rain too much for you and that your Camino is as good as your first time :)

BC..er, sorry....Buen Camino!

Mark :)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.