• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"A real newbie, living on Spitsbergen"

SandStorm.Sr

Old Coal carriage
Time of past OR future Camino
Have not yet walked The trail. But, plan to in January '17
Hi, one and all in this forum :) I do hope that "no question is a stupid one" also applies in here.
My name is Kai, I`m 48, and live up north on Spitsbergen with my two Huskys.

We plan on walking to Santiago, starting in January 17, and use everything between 4- 6 weeks on the trail.
Now.. I know there`s been some discussions on the forum about having dogs/ not being allowed in hostels/ medical issues/ weather, etc.
My dogs are used to live outside in whatever kind of weather, including blizzards. And used to pulling sledges/ pulkas, and me on skies. (And other dogs trying to enter their "nest")
We will be carrying a tent in addition to other needed equipment.

I`d really, really appreciate any kind of tips and tricks, including carrying dogs on trains/ buses towards either Roncesvalles, or San Sebastián. And which of the two routes is best to choose wintertime?

In advance, thank you so much.

Kai, Lillefot, and Choco.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome to the forum @SandStorm.Sr

If you love your dogs - leave them at home! Seriously - leave them at home! There are so many reasons NOT to take a dog (even more not to take two!) on any Camino in Spain and close to none to take a dog (except certified assistance/service dogs).

If you want to do a pilgrimage with two huskies - have you considered the St.Olav's Way in Norway? SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the answers, so far. But I do miss reasons why leaving them at home. We`ve hiked a lot in Norway. And done several trips on Svalbard.
So, please: Reasons not to hike the Camino with dogs.

Just use the search function (top right corner) and type in dog. Plenty of threads around that topic. SY

Please (1) do some searching; (2) listen to the above advice; (3) you will (at least in the villages/towns/cities) need to have your dogs on very short leads. Many (if not most) farms in Spain have a dog (or 2) and these dogs are more than willing to defend their territory. Yes I am aware that Huskys are the closest dogs to wolves and can defend themselves, but this is a problem you do not need.
Getting back to the cities - Pamplona/Logrono/Burgos/Leon are major cities (75000 people or more) and the Camino passes (almost) directly through the centre of these cities - are your huskys "city trained dogs"? In addition to the leads you may need to consider fitting them with muzzle restraints (for your financial well-being if not that of the dogs). So please leave them at home. Buen Camino:)o_O

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And finally - how will you get your dogs home as Spanish public transport doesn't allow dogs over 10 kg? And, those dogs that weight under 10kg have to travel in a box which means, when it comes to buses, in the dark belly of the bus close to the roaring engine.

If you love your dogs, leave them at home and/or walk a pilgrims route in your own country with them.

SY

@Saint Mike, I'm curious, how is a muzzle going to help with financial issues?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @SandStorm.Sr team, welcome! :)

First, and to prevent some of the back-fire I'll get anyways, all the following is NOT pointing fingers, NOT thinking of anyone in particular, NOT saying people what and how they should think/do. JUST sharing personal opinion and observation of facts.

Then, I have to say, I have no experience of traveling with dogs, I never had a dog and I'm actually more of a cat person. So, I have no idea of what it means to travel with dogs and so, no advice to offer regarding dogs.
However, I do travel on the Camino/elsewhere and I do know about horses (not dogs, but animals, and big "trouble" to travel with). I'm always surprised to see how rigid people are when it come to the Camino. Speaking from experience here, sharing my opinion. When one does it a way that lean toward the edge/gets off the "right" way to do it (which is thankfully still quite large), one hits a wall, flat in the face. Whatever and despite what everyone claims about "every Camino is right"! It's not necessarily a blank "don't do it", it's more of a "well..." followed by 1001 reason why one should drop it or go somewhere else.

My point is, why not do the Camino with dogs? Of course, going like a lunatic and take dogs along is obviously a bad idea. So is crossing Spain by foot thinking it's another stroll in the park. SandStorm seems to have a good idea of what's going on, what he's signing up for and how to deal with travel with dogs. And what he doesn't know, I'm sure he'll look up and prepare.
People always have been/still are/will travel with dogs. Everywhere. In many various conditions. So, why the world but not the Camino? Is it just for a matter of perception then? Loads of people bike the Camino, I have the impression it's such a complication! I would find it easier and nicer to to do it with riding a horse. From experience again, I know people don't see it that way. "How" and "what" is different for each way of traveling. Dogs demands specific prep and knowledge. So does biking or riding. Or walking: that's btw why this forum exist!
I'll bet at least one person in any pilgrim's surrounding told him-her that walking across Spain by foot was crazy. And gave him-her 1001 good reasons not to do it.

Also... The Frances has some mountains at one end, some hills at the other but is mainly flat in the middle. The Norte is mountains all the way. Both are nice and beautiful.
There certainly are more accommodations opened on the Frances, regardless if they accept dogs... usually public ones don't, and they are the ones opened.
Camping is a legislative mess in Spain (and a sensitive subject on the forum): at the end, the autonomous communities rule. Bivouacking is ok along both Caminos, APART from Asturias, where it's very clearly forbidden. That said, don't count on camping grounds on the Norte, despite its apparent touristic facilities. This may point you to the Frances...

Kai, Lillefot, Choco, my final advice here is: hold on, search and prep yourselves well and go for it! You'll have a great time!
Buen preps, buen Camino!

full

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Svalbard is not, currently, considered free from rabies, so please talk to the authorities about whether you'll be allowed to travel freely with your dogs, vaccination certificates and so on.

@SandStorm.Sr
I saw a couple walking the camino frances with a husky in October. They were camping and the man was pulling a cart with the gear and supplies which they needed. The dog did not carry anything and walked on a leash held by the woman. The husky did not seem disturbed by the many pilgrims approaching and passing. The weather, especially in the afternoons, was too hot for me and there were many flies. I am sure that your huskies would be much happier in January. If they could carry some of their own supplies, that might lighten your load. Good planning and have a wonderful walk.

Hi, one and all in this forum :) I do hope that "no question is a stupid one" also applies in here.
My name is Kai, I`m 48, and live up north on Spitsbergen with my two Huskys.

We plan on walking to Santiago, starting in January 17, and use everything between 4- 6 weeks on the trail.
Now.. I know there`s been some discussions on the forum about having dogs/ not being allowed in hostels/ medical issues/ weather, etc.
My dogs are used to live outside in whatever kind of weather, including blizzards. And used to pulling sledges/ pulkas, and me on skies. (And other dogs trying to enter their "nest")
We will be carrying a tent in addition to other needed equipment.

I`d really, really appreciate any kind of tips and tricks, including carrying dogs on trains/ buses towards either Roncesvalles, or San Sebastián. And which of the two routes is best to choose wintertime?

In advance, thank you so much.

Kai, Lillefot, and Choco.
Hola, K&L&C!

I don't have experience of walking with dog on Camino and also haven't done it in the winter but 10+ years ago I was on Svalbard and have experienced the climate and saw the dogs. I believe your dogs are very used to low temps etc. so at least they won't feel too hot on Camino in winter. Actually I think they would feel more content with that than the huskies I'm seeing every summer hardly alive over here at 30C. Also their pads are used to frozen snow and gravel won't do any harm to them. Still do some preparation and read some of the posts.
Wish you Buen Camino!

PS (The reason of my visit to Svalbard was making a documentary film "Svalbard - Jagged Peaks of Spitzbergen" with alpinistic/climbing/skiing topic. If you're interested I can send you an English sub-titled version ;))

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi @SandStorm.Sr and wonderful to have someone from Svalbard. We too were privileged to visit when taken there by the father of our Norwegian "son" (exchange student). Amazing place.

The best people to give you advice are people who have actually taken dogs on the camino. Or vets. Or those who know the Spanish law in relation to dogs. The rest of us probably don't have much to offer beyond observation. I walked with someone who did lots of hiking with her dog at home but she had to call her mother to drive down to the Camino Frances from Belgium to collect the dog because it was too difficult to continue with him. I've seen a dog limping and obviously in distress, and another whose owner was having trouble combing nasty burrs out of its coat. I've also seen a small dog being very happily carried in a crate, another in a pram, and a couple of happy looking dogs running ahead of their owners. Apart from the girl from Belgium I don't know how far the others had/were walking. These are some of the issues that you will need to consider and deal with:

1. Accommodation. Dogs are not often welcome. If you tie your dogs up outside, will they be able to relax and sleep, or will they be permanently on alert being in a new place every night? It may depend on the temperament of your dogs or be alleviated if you sleep in the tent.

2. Part of the pleasure of the camino is shedding responsibility. That will not happen for you.

3. Dog food is not a given. You will have to do some research and planning and may have to carry supplies.

4. Spanish dogs are kept mainly as guard dogs and your dogs will usually be on another's territory. This could cause problems.

5. Check out the terrain and vegetation and consider protective footwear and coats - some of the Camino Frances is rather sharp pebbles (snow might be a blessing) and in some areas there may be burrs and thorns. One of the locals could probably help with information.

Perhaps you could also send a PM to @Rebekah Scott - she lives on the Camino Frances and is a dog lover (has five at last count).

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.