• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

AA and reflection time on the Camino/ newsarticle.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
IMO a very interesting article how the Camino can be a time of reflection and introspection about sobriety and abstinence of alcohol.

Initiative of the AA in Galicia.

Great article. Thank you for sharing and best wishes to everyone who suffers either directly as an alcoholic/problem drinker or from association with someone who is a alcoholic / problem drinkers, and best wishes to those in recovery and those yet to start recovery.

In no way relating this to alcoholism, but I know folks try to ‘build up’ their knowledge of ‘all things Spain’, Spain has some of the most ‘eye catching’ safe alcohol limits on Europe. The article is a few years old but I tho l still holds largely true.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And then of course the influence of alcohol abuse and gender violence. We already have threads here on the sad numbers of gender violence. Unfortunately " macho violence " is still a big issue in Spain.

Note to mods : hope this is not considered a political statement?

IMO a very interesting article how the Camino can be a time of reflection and introspection about sobriety and abstinence of alcohol.

Initiative of the AA in Galicia.

Undoubtedly interesting.

AA has a different default meaning in different countries. Here in Kiwiland it defaults to Automobile Association. During the early 80's I was in Los Angeles and wanted some driving maps. I headed off to the American Automobile Association and needed some assistance to find the branch and wondered why I was getting strange looks from the people who I asked for directions to the AA. Finally a local twigged and told me that I would have much more luck getting my Maps if I instead asked for directions to the AAA, or triple A. 🤭

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
One of the helpful features of Spanish bars is that very many have cerveza ‘sin’ (alcohol free) on tap which, contrary to my self-burnished persona on here I have tried from time to time; and it’s perfectly drinkable.
Yes agreed and I think Spain leads the way in ‘sin alcohol’ and ‘0.0’ versus the rest of Europe in both bars and supermarkets including ‘Radler’. Good taste.

That said, wine and beer is so cheap in most Spanish bars and restaurants so I can see why consumption is very high!

According to the new Andrew McCarthy book - Walking with Sam - I was life changing for him nearly 30 years ago.
I'm listening now as well. His son made a great comment. Something like, "you know, these walking breaks we take are the best part of the day"

There are English speaking meetings also.
English language meetings of AA in Spain is looked after by the UK AA organisation.
Best to check there. Know Madrid has many weekly meetings.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Camino sin vino? Nope, Nada, Non, No.

Your very personal view I hope?

I posted this article especially to emphasise that a non alcohol Camino is fine and that as a pilgrim community we should not glorify the vino/ beer culture.
What everyone decides is up to them but those who keep away from alcohol should feel as included and welcome as those who drink alcohol.

Yes, of course it is my personal view. I can only express my view, not that of anyone else. I also eat meat. I even have a friend who is a vegan non drinker, and I cook for her.
I don't mind people who don't drink wine (or any other inebriating drink) sitting next to me. Largely because that way I can usually get more than my fair share.
Relax, I won't pour anything you don't want down your throat. Please don't demonise my pleasures.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What everyone decides is up to them but those who keep away from alcohol should feel as included and welcome as those who drink alcohol.
I go to an AA meeting once a week. I also don't drink. Alcohol no longer defines me or rules over my life. Never would I subscribe to "a cause" where the goal is to make abstainers feel "more welcome" or "included." That would be falling into victim mindset. Barbara feels like hoisting a few then that's her business. If some people turn the Camino into a 800-km pub crawl, then that's their business too.

Yes agreed and I think Spain leads the way in ‘sin alcohol’ and ‘0.0’ versus the rest of Europe in both bars and supermarkets including ‘Radler’. Good taste.

That said, wine and beer is so cheap in most Spanish bars and restaurants so I can see why consumption is very high!
Sin alcohol in Spain can have up to 1% alcohol.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Had hoped that there might be English speaking meetings somewhere along the Camino, Burgos, Leon, or Santiago. There aren't.
A Camino without drinking is a lot more fun for me. Glad that no one puts any pressure on those of us who don't drink.

Sin alcohol in Spain can have up to 1% alcohol.
Did you know that many things have alcohol in? Just a natural occurring process
FoodABVNote
Grape Juice 10.29% – 0.86%1
Apple Juice 20.06% – 0.66%2
Orange Juice 20.16% – 0.73%2
Wheat Rolls0.14%
Wheat and rye bread0.29%
Burger Rolls (American Style)1.28%
Banana (ripe)0.02%
Banana (very ripe, peel with dark zones)0.04%
Pear (ripe)0.04%

Had hoped that there might be English speaking meetings somewhere along the Camino, Burgos, Leon, or Santiago. There aren't.
A Camino without drinking is a lot more fun for me. Glad that no one puts any pressure on those of us who don't drink.
Whilst alcohol consumption is very high in Italy, Spain and France, the whole culture aroid drinking is very different. I have seen groups of 5 and 6 men turn up in bars in those countries and all order coffee for example. There is no pressure to drink. They wouldn't happen in many countries in Northern and Cnetral Europe where if you are out and don’t have a drink, people will ask ‘are you ok’!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Did you know that many things have alcohol in? Just a natural occurring process
FoodABVNote
Grape Juice 10.29% – 0.86%1
Apple Juice 20.06% – 0.66%2
Orange Juice 20.16% – 0.73%2
Wheat Rolls0.14%
Wheat and rye bread0.29%
Burger Rolls (American Style)1.28%
Banana (ripe)0.02%
Banana (very ripe, peel with dark zones)0.04%
Pear (ripe)0.04%
I wonder what the notes say. I can see that fruits and fruit juices might acquire alcohol over time. I used to know people who would let their cider get some and then would let it start to freeze and remove the ice as it formed to increase the proportion of alcohol. But I find the number for burger rolls highly suspicious. Especially when combined with what I read in post #19.

They wouldn't happen in many countries in Northern and Cnetral Europe where if you are out and don’t have a drink, people will ask ‘are you ok’!!
I turned down the "first pour" out of a bottle of single malt by a group of Ukrainians. The group shunned me after that. That's how offensive my turning down an offer of drink was to them. I did not want to offend anyone.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I turned down the "first pour" out of a bottle of single malt by a group of Ukrainians. The group shunned me after that. That's how offensive my turning down an offer of drink was to them. I did not want to offend anyone.
Yes I can imagine that would not have been well received!

They wouldn't happen in many countries in Northern and Cnetral Europe where if you are out and don’t have a drink, people will ask ‘are you ok’!!

Seems like a bit of a generalisation to me - in fact it always keeps amazing me how easily people sometimes make generalisations.
Anyway, it is not how I experienced travelling in Northern and Central Europe.

And maybe it depends on the people you hang out with ;)

Seems like a bit of a generalisation to me - in fact it always keeps amazing me how easily people sometimes make generalisations.
Anyway, it is not how I experienced travelling in Northern and Central Europe.

And maybe it depends on the people you hang out with ;)
You don’t think there is a difference is drinking culture between southern Europe and north/central:eastern/south Eastern Europe.

Insight based on observations rather than whom I with!!

Last edited:
Hi,
I am walking the French way in April, and plan on catching some meetings even if they are in Spanish. I have gone to meetings where I didn't speak the language. It still felt like home, even without understanding much of what was said. Also people were extra welcoming to me. Now I have a bit of Spanish, but am far from fluent. Somehow, it feels like that should be part of the experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back