• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation on napoleon route if Orisson is closed

frank john

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2016
October-November 2024
Hello all. I’m walking from SJP in late October. Orisson closes after the 15th of October. Any recommendations if I want to stop before Roncesvalles? Should I just go the Valcarlos route? Thanks for any suggestions. Frank

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Valcarlos is roughly 11k from SJPdP. Between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles there are no actual places to stay or get food/water and few buildings at all. Whether by N 135 road or through wood on the camino the climb up to Roncesvalles has several switchbacks and usually took me 5 hours.

Your options are the place in Honto (before Orisson) or Refuge Orisson, Albergue Borda, and sometimes Gite Kayola in Orisson (no real town - but the 3 places are in that general area - Gite Kayola isn't alway open - don't know how they decide when to open it - but can be open for overflow at Refuge Orisson).

Beyond that - there are no other options to STAY between SJPDP and Roncesvalles on the Napolean Route.

That said - you can either walk the Valcarlos route instead, or walk straight to Roncesvalles which is what the majority of pilgrims do. It is a hard day - but many do it.

The option other than that is there are shuttles available to take you to/from certain points on the Napolean route. Look at the Express Bouricott shuttle schedule and see the drop/off pick up sites and schedule. If you do that - you can walk to one of the points on the schedule - shuttle back to SJPDP for the night - and then shuttle back to where you left off in the AM. A bit tedious - but that is the best option for those who want to walk the Napolean Route in 2 days but can't get a reservation near Orisson.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
They just contacted me and recommended another albergue near orisson.
Orisson did? If they will not be open they should change the booking calendar on their site.
Have you tried Borda? I've heard that it's nicer than Orisson.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Orisson did? If they will not be open they should change the booking calendar on their site.
Have you tried Borda? I've heard that it's nicer than Orisson.

I just sent them an email. Booking.com said they were filled on October 25!!! Hard to believe. I decided to send them an email.

I just sent them an email. Booking.com said they were filled on October 25!!! Hard to believe. I decided to send them an email.
I am not surprisded - both Orisson and Borda fill up months in advance quite frequently. But - don't be afraid to keep checking back. Never know when they will get cancellations.

Booking.com may not have all the beds at the albergue. Normally they just have a few. I would contact the albergue directly for this information.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Booking.com may not have all the beds at the albergue. Normally they just have a few. I would contact the albergue directly for this information.
I just sent them an email. Thanks for your help. If I can’t get any beds, should I just walk all the way to Roncesvalles?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You can go the Valcarlos route and stay overnight in Valcarlos. It is about half way. It may or may not be good weather over the Napoleon route. If it is cloudy or foggy it won't be a great walk and it will be long. Valcarlos is the winter and/or alternate route.

Or you could use Express Bouricout. Then you can walk to for example Le Croix, get picked up, sleep back in SJPDP, and they will deliver you back to the same spot the next day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Your options are the place in Honto (before Orisson) or Refuge Orisson, Albergue Borda, and sometimes Gite Kayola in Orisson (no real town - but the 3 places are in that general area - Gite Kayola isn't alway open - don't know how they decide when to open it - but can be open for overflow at Refuge Orisson).

Beyond that - there are no other options to STAY between SJPDP and Roncesvalles on the Napolean Route.

That said - you can either walk the Valcarlos route instead, or walk straight to Roncesvalles which is what the majority of pilgrims do. It is a hard day - but many do it.

The option other than that is there are shuttles available to take you to/from certain points on the Napolean route. Look at the Express Bouricott shuttle schedule and see the drop/off pick up sites and schedule. If you do that - you can walk to one of the points on the schedule - shuttle back to SJPDP for the night - and then shuttle back to where you left off in the AM. A bit tedious - but that is the best option for those who want to walk the Napolean Route in 2 days but can't get a reservation near Orisson.
Thank you finding it hard to get accommodation so that helped , didn't want to cheat 🤣 getting transport , was going to take the Valcarlos route but heard not as nice , thank you

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back